Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 02:50 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

FYI, I've done more than 25 hours driving now and I think its developed a small amount burble on decel now, but only with revs above 3000 or so. Nothing like the 981 however. Long term ECU adapting??
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 04:31 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Heres a couple requests.
stock vs just opf delete
stock vs opf delete plus exhaust
Do you think this will make power or do you need to change the cats? A dyno or dragy pulls would be nice altho both are highly variable.
Honestly if i had the option i would start with headers with high flow cats plus opf delete, and leave the stock muffler. Remove as much back pressure as possible with the least drone. But id end up doing the whole thing at the end of the day
As soon as things open up a little more we will be straight back to the dyno. For obvious reasons it’s put external testing on the back burner.

The rear silencer will always be a bottle neck so it’ll be interesting to see the results

Originally Posted by GAZZ
I'd like to hear;
Stock Vs Headers + OPF delete + OEM catback.
Stock+JCR catback Vs Headers + OPF delete + JCR catback.
Will do my best to get as many combinations of parts tested and filmed

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Another example of what I think is evidence that the stock car sounds great from the driver's seat. Skip to :56.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXkoH3O-ln0
You’re not going to convince every 718 to stay stock .. We have at least 20 orders from people who are yet to even receive their cars, many of which have specifically told us that had we not released a solution they wouldn’t have committed to buying / making the swap to a 718

Everyone’s different I suppose but you have to remember this whole ‘stock exhaust sounds best’ thing is your opinion. That opinion is no more or less valid than my opinion that ‘stock sounds like an asthmatic vacuum cleaner running in the room next door’

FYI, I've done more than 25 hours driving now and I think its developed a small amount burble on decel now, but only with revs above 3000 or so. Nothing like the 981 however. Long term ECU adapting??
The car has burbles they’re just very difficult to hear. They’re activated by the clutch switch. Try dipping the clutch just enough to activate the sensor prior to the clutch disengaging and you’ll be able to hear it fire the burbles every time.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 05-18-2020, 06:17 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche

The car has burbles they’re just very difficult to hear. They’re activated by the clutch switch. Try dipping the clutch just enough to activate the sensor prior to the clutch disengaging and you’ll be able to hear it fire the burbles every time.

JC
The old "clutch defeat" mod!
My point was that it did not burble from the beginning, but now it does a small amount. Well, unless its the new car smell slowly feeding me the Kool Aid.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:29 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Everyone’s different I suppose but you have to remember this whole ‘stock exhaust sounds best’ thing is your opinion. That opinion is no more or less valid than my opinion that ‘stock sounds like an asthmatic vacuum cleaner running in the room next door’

JC
I think in another thread (or perhaps this one) I said it sounded vacuum cleanerish... but this description takes it to the next level. Not even a vacuum cleaner in the same room!

Old 05-18-2020, 05:02 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

................. that ‘stock sounds like an asthmatic vacuum cleaner running in the room next door’
JC
Not just any vacuum cleaner; but, asthmatic, and next door!! Ouch! That hurts!! To be fair, the underlying sound signature is decent. We just need to liberate it and make it sing!

To echo some of the requests, I will want to keep the header and cat stock. So, please provide an option with those. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

You’re not going to convince every 718 to stay stock .. We have at least 20 orders from people who are yet to even receive their cars, many of which have specifically told us that had we not released a solution they wouldn’t have committed to buying / making the swap to a 718

You're missing my point. I'm not trying to convince anyone to stay stock, nor am I saying that stock sounds best either. I haven't said that in any of my posts. I'm merely saying that stock sounds really good. Nothing more, nothing less. The argument that stock sounds bad is nonsense peddled by the brap, brap, brap, brap crowd. It sounds great stock; like a real sports car.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:10 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Another example of what I think is evidence that the stock car sounds great from the driver's seat. Skip to :56.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXkoH3O-ln0
You're missing my point. I'm not trying to convince anyone to stay stock, nor am I saying that stock sounds best either. I haven't said that in any of my posts. I'm merely saying that stock sounds really good. Nothing more, nothing less. The argument that stock sounds bad is nonsense peddled by the brap, brap, brap, brap crowd. It sounds great stock; like a real sports car.
It certainly sounds great in that on-track video.

For Christ,
TT
Old 05-18-2020, 09:24 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,112 Likes on 548 Posts

I doubt that track video is of a stock exhaust. It sounds like there have been a few tweaks made.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:38 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I doubt that track video is of a stock exhaust. It sounds like there have been a few tweaks made.
It sounds exactly like half a dozen other track videos out there. It’s almost certainly bone stock.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:47 AM
flatt6
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 90 Posts

As mentioned multiple times since late last year the ROW spec and EU spec cars sound the same. Simple as that.

We have had physical parts for over a year, compared and ran and there is no audible difference and contrary to popular folklore the inert OPF actually flows a touch less than the monitored EU spec OPF for a number of reasons.

The rumour gained momentum due to overly optimistic owners who were yet to receive their cars desperately hoping that their cars wouldn’t sound as pathetic as the EU spec cars. Made worse by some ROW owners who received their cars and continued to talk of ‘non OPF’ cars sounding better than EU cars based on nothing more than listening to YouTube videos.

Looks like it’ll take a little while longer for this to die out, especially given sales assistants are now regurgitating the same stuff

Planning to film a 981 GT4 vs 718 GT4 video soon with various exhaust options on each car. I’ll also film the 718 GT4 with ROW spec OPF pipes too to compare against the EU spec OPF pipes and hopefully help put the rumours to bed

JC
If the ROW and EU 718 GT4s sound the same, then there is already a good video showing the difference of stock exhaust.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:23 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm inclined to agree. I think this car is going to sound good. Fingers crossed it can slip under the sound booth radar at laguna.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:30 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by flatt6
If the ROW and EU 718 GT4s sound the same, then there is already a good video showing the difference of stock exhaust.
https://youtu.be/-tKzrZzhpg4
Not the same model car. As mentioned right at the beginning of the video one is a 981 and one a 718, so completely different exhaust system.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:18 AM
flatt6
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 90 Posts

Not the same model car. As mentioned right at the beginning of the video one is a 981 and one a 718, so completely different exhaust system.
I wasnt suggesting this was a comparison of the EU vs ROW 718s. All I was saying is if the EU and ROW versions sound the same, we already have evidence of what the ROW 718 will sound like compared to the 981.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:25 AM
ZA GT4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock sound is much better than I was expecting.
It doesn't come close to the 981 but I think many people will be fine with the stock sound.
It sounds good in its own right but if you're coming from a 981 you will probably want to mod if you like the pops/bangs.
Stock is plenty loud and even drones but my car is only on 200km now so the sound might change slightly as I break it in.

FYI I'm in South Africa, we have the inactive PPF (which according to some doesn't make a difference to sound).
Old 05-19-2020, 10:38 AM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
I'm inclined to agree. I think this car is going to sound good. Fingers crossed it can slip under the sound booth radar at laguna.
it will pass laguna with flying colors.
The following users liked this post:
JCR-Porsche (05-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point