Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 12:49 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster17
Does anyone know if the Spyder and GT4 have a Soundaktor? Basically an artificial sound generator in the cabin. The 718 base and S have it.
No it does not. My M5 F90 had it and it is the lamest of all lame.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by tdlondon
The M5 has active sound design, which is different than either the Soundaktor or the Sound Symposer in Porsches, the latter of which is entirely passive. And the ASD in the M5 barely makes any difference if you listen to it on and off. It simply replicates the sound note from the tailpipe into the cabin a small amount.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:15 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The M5 has active sound design, which is different than either the Soundaktor or the Sound Symposer in Porsches, the latter of which is entirely passive. And the ASD in the M5 barely makes any difference if you listen to it on and off. It simply replicates the sound note from the tailpipe into the cabin a small amount.
Got it. Semantics though. Still very lame. Agree it's rather low tone into the cabin but it feels synthesized sound to me and not a replication of the actual exhaust.
The F90 stock exhaust is the biggest flaw of an otherwise almost perfect car.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Got it. Semantics though. Still very lame. Agree it's rather low tone into the cabin but it feels synthesized sound to me and not a replication of the actual exhaust.
Meh, it's a turbo. Hard to make them sound good and with Euro regs now, they have to keep them quiet. I don't have a problem with the sound of the car at all, but I do have a problem with the steering. Wackiest steering I've ever experienced in any car, ever. In an effort to dial out understeer, BMW created the strangest non-linear, indirect steering imaginable. I love the car otherwise and it's performance is unreal for something so big, but its steering is wacked.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:31 PM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

Got it, thanks. And agreed, fake exhaust noise is lame... in any application.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:35 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Good to see some familiar names working on this...

Old 06-10-2020, 02:47 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Meh, it's a turbo. Hard to make them sound good and with Euro regs now, they have to keep them quiet. I don't have a problem with the sound of the car at all, but I do have a problem with the steering. Wackiest steering I've ever experienced in any car, ever. In an effort to dial out understeer, BMW created the strangest non-linear, indirect steering imaginable. I love the car otherwise and it's performance is unreal for something so big, but its steering is wacked.
Yeah, kind of. Mercedes AMG missed that memo then. Also V8 biturbo on the C/E63 line and the exhaust sounds just perfect from stock.
Agree on the steering. Honestly the couple of times I took it to the track I felt the steering much better at the "normal" setting than in the sport setting.
But yeah, the power and handling this car has overall, combined with being a very comfortable family sedan, full of perks and technology for a daily driver too, makes it nearly perfect for the average Joe who wants a family car and a beast track car in the same packaging.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:53 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

I had an F10 M5 with the Competition Package and manual transmission. I thought it sounded great, especially for a turbo motor. But a few months ago I drove an E39 M5 and it sounded better! Wish BMW still made them. Coming back to Porsches, last year I drove a 991.1 GT3, with Graham Rahal exhaust, and it sounded better than any car I've ever heard.

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 06-10-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
Good to see some familiar names working on this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImhFpZXFEmA
Thanks for posting! Cool that they scan in the pipe and then replicate it on a mandrel pipe bender, cleaner look and maybe flow? Can't wait to hear the sound and know what the weight saving is... oh and cost too, the prices are a bit scary so far.

Still worried about heat soak near the rear brakes/tire, the OEM is not shielded for no reason at all.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Yeah, kind of. Mercedes AMG missed that memo then. Also V8 biturbo on the C/E63 line and the exhaust sounds just perfect from stock..
All before the new Euro regs. The F90 was designed to meet the new sound regulations and they even had to go back in with a software update to remove the decel pops to comply. Then again, the Merc always sounded better than any BMW motor. I drive my M5 with the exhaust off 90% of the time.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:06 PM
Elijaih
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Thanks for posting! Cool that they scan in the pipe and then replicate it on a mandrel pipe bender, cleaner look and maybe flow? Can't wait to hear the sound and know what the weight saving is... oh and cost too, the prices are a bit scary so far.

Still worried about heat soak near the rear brakes/tire, the OEM is not shielded for no reason at all.
You could always have the exhaust wrapped with a thermal exhaust wrap. Though that would cost more and add a little weight, granted so would a shield like the OEM one.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:06 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster17
.......... Basically an artificial sound generator in the cabin. The 718 base and S have it.
That's a pretty dumb thing to do for a sports car! Do you know if that can be disabled? Is there a plug or something that can be applied, if it's purely a passive piping from outside?
Old 06-10-2020, 05:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by the_rider
That's a pretty dumb thing to do for a sports car! Do you know if that can be disabled? Is there a plug or something that can be applied, if it's purely a passive piping from outside?
Porsches have had sound symposers for years, just a passive diaphram between the cabin and the engine bay. I know some people would stuff towels in them on their Carreras to plug them up.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:15 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Good to know; thanks.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Porsches have had sound symposers for years, just a passive diaphram between the cabin and the engine bay. I know some people would stuff towels in them on their Carreras to plug them up.
The Soundaktor is NOT a passive diaphragm but a electrical transducer situated on the firewall of the 718...

Originally Posted by the_rider
Yes it can be deactivated by simply unplugging the electrical connection.

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point