Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021 | 03:43 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
So the part on top of the fender is a vent similar to what was on the GT3 RS.

As far as the big 'ole black plastic pieces on the sides of the bumper, that looks like an air guiding device put there to help with front downforce. Since the rear now has a swan neck wing that appears to be higher up in the air stream, I'm guessing it's also more efficient since it's now a swan neck mount, they have to balance that on the front of the car. Since, adding a similar wing on the front of the car isn't possible, they're adding downforce by cleaning up the air around parts that create disturbances and therefore lift and drag. This looks like it'll be in addition to the air curtains already on the GT4/Spyder where the air is being picked up from the side of the left and right intakes. This piece looks like it's picking up the air as it passes around the outside of the bumpers and then meets the air from the intakes to really accelerate the air from the wheel well. Then the vents on top of the fenders should really help reduce the air pressure and therefore adding to the reduced lift, reduced drag, and therefore downforce.

The NACA ducts on the hood already provide extra downforce on the front end besides cooling for the front brakes. Those are too small and on the very edge/side of the bumper to make any significant downforce.
Also, if the vent on the GT3 RS is so efficient why not use the same one? That would be way easier and less costly for PAG..unless they only want those for the GT3 RS.
Old 01-27-2021 | 03:50 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
The NACA ducts on the hood already provide extra downforce on the front end besides cooling for the front brakes. Those are too small and on the very edge/side of the bumper to make any significant downforce.
Also, if the vent on the GT3 RS is so efficient why not use the same one? That would be way easier and less costly for PAG..unless they only want those for the GT3 RS.
Well AP talks about them in the video I shared a couple of posts up and he talks about using them to balance the car so I think even though they are a small device, I think their benefit is worth Porsche having spent the time, money and effort to develop them to help balance the car so I respectfully disagree with you saying that it doesn't provide any "significant downforce." Also, practically every car manufacturer now-a-days has these front air curtains on their cars in some form whether hidden or in plain view.

I don't have any answer as to why not use the same vents from the GT3 RS. Could be that they don't want to encroach on the GT3 territory since there still has to be some sort of performance heirarchy or it could be that they need to design something different since some years of engineering development has passed since the GT3 RS was released and they've learned some new tricks to incorporate into the GT4 which will probably make it's way to the new GT3/RS and then GT2.
Old 01-27-2021 | 03:59 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Front axle lift please.
Old 01-27-2021 | 04:20 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Since I don't recall having thrown my opinion yet on the hp rating for the GT4 RS, I'm going to say that I think the redline will be increased to between 8,300 and 8,700 producing between 425hp to 450hp. Torque may see a small increase of maybe about 5-10lb-ft over the ratings for the 6MT and the PDK respectively.
The following users liked this post:
Traind (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021 | 04:36 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

That intake is prolly worth 10-15 hp. Adding rpm would add alot of pones. I dont see it happening. Which pdk are we getting? If its the same one as gt4 they are gonna have to change some gearing to keep the ratios short with the higher redline. That would effectively be another hp increase. I dont see all this happening. Biggest mods are gonna be suspension, aero and intake. 15-20 hp topps. Carbon feezy and maybe weissach pack
jmartpr (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021 | 04:37 PM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Render alert! Turns out these images may be the result of an exceptionally talented photoshopper on Instagram who put out the originals.... and duped us all!

sobiloff (01-28-2021)
Old 01-27-2021 | 04:40 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Well AP talks about them in the video I shared a couple of posts up and he talks about using them to balance the car so I think even though they are a small device, I think their benefit is worth Porsche having spent the time, money and effort to develop them to help balance the car so I respectfully disagree with you saying that it doesn't provide any "significant downforce." Also, practically every car manufacturer now-a-days has these front air curtains on their cars in some form whether hidden or in plain view.

I don't have any answer as to why not use the same vents from the GT3 RS. Could be that they don't want to encroach on the GT3 territory since there still has to be some sort of performance heirarchy or it could be that they need to design something different since some years of engineering development has passed since the GT3 RS was released and they've learned some new tricks to incorporate into the GT4 which will probably make it's way to the new GT3/RS and then GT2.

I see....So besides the ones that the normal GT4 has on the inside of the bumper (on the sides, that's why it has those exits in front of the tires) the RS would have also externally on the sides? IMO they look awful from an otherwise clean and efficient front end.
Old 01-27-2021 | 04:49 PM
MsGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by mclarenmaniac

Is he talking about the two pictures CAlexio posted above? The pictures with the two guys around it is real though right?
Old 01-27-2021 | 04:52 PM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MsGT3
Is he talking about the two pictures CAlexio posted above? The pictures with the two guys around it is real though right?
apparently the earlier spy shots were also renders
Old 01-27-2021 | 04:54 PM
MsGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by mclarenmaniac
apparently the earlier spy shots were also renders

Oh wow I thought those were real.

Ok so back to the Black car we've seen I guess. Nothing new yet.
Old 01-27-2021 | 05:02 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

nice!
Old 01-27-2021 | 05:11 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I see....So besides the ones that the normal GT4 has on the inside of the bumper (on the sides, that's why it has those exits in front of the tires) the RS would have also externally on the sides? IMO they look awful from an otherwise clean and efficient front end.
Yes, that is what I'm seeing from these pictures. Although not readily used in most street cars, I have seen them before. It's just another way of guiding more air around the wheels especially the front wheels since the wheel wells create a lot of drag and lift. Cleaning up this air not only helps with reducing lift but it also reduces drag which help with mpg. By adding that additional plastic piece to accelerate more air, it'll reduce lift even more. Again, my guess as to why this is being done is because they needed to balance the front with the additional downforce from the new swan neck rear wing that is also higher up in the airstream.

I thought the NACA ducts on the frunk were purely for the brake ducts. Since no official word has been released, it's anybody's guess right now but I suppose it could also add a little bit of downforce or remove a little bit of lift somehow. PAG and AP must have thought it was worth it to add it on what will be a very low volume car...not limited, just low volume.
Old 01-27-2021 | 06:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought the NACA ducts on the frunk were purely for the brake ducts. Since no official word has been released, it's anybody's guess right now but I suppose it could also add a little bit of downforce or remove a little bit of lift somehow. PAG and AP must have thought it was worth it to add it on what will be a very low volume car...not limited, just low volume.
Yes, those are for brake cooling. It has a beneficial aero effect (mostly in the area of drag, I think) because they are able to skip those big scoops on the front suspension that typically hang well below the level of the floor.
Old 01-27-2021 | 06:14 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Name:  CyijnvZ.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  197.6 KB
Hmet (01-28-2021)
Old 01-27-2021 | 06:25 PM
Frank Torres
Instructor

So wait.....all this and it ends up being some fake renders?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS