Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 05:09 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,594 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
The side window intakes don't necessarily increase power so much as reduce iat. IAT were higher on the 718cs vs 981cs potentially because the new front bumper design of the 718 added the side air curtains basically funneling hot post rad air to the side intakes (just my wag).
IAT may be worse on 718CS than 981 but I measured my 981 (w/ GT4 front bumper) on track and the intake temps are atrocious. In 70F weather you're feeding 90 to 95F air into the side scoops after a couple of hot laps. That's with 1 temp sensor on the edge of the intake scoop and another on the side window. Side window temp remains ambient.

But this effect only happens when you're hammering it on track for an extended time. On the street you're getting pretty nice fresh air into the scoops as there isn't nearly as much heat coming off the front rads in a normal situation so there's nothing to be gained from changing the intake location.

Last edited by JCviggen; 01-28-2021 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:57 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Spy shots were done by same guy who had previously done render in same color
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (15.61 MB, 203 views)
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 01:23 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
IAT may be worse on 718CS than 981 but I measured my 981 (w/ GT4 front bumper) on track and the intake temps are atrocious. In 70F weather you're feeding 90 to 95F air into the side scoops after a couple of hot laps. That's with 1 temp sensor on the edge of the intake scoop and another on the side window. Side window temp remains ambient.

But this effect only happens when you're hammering it on track for an extended time. On the street you're getting pretty nice fresh air into the scoops as there isn't nearly as much heat coming off the front rads in a normal situation so there's nothing to be gained from changing the intake location.
Oh, yes, agreed, and thanks for the clarification. They aren't great on the 981 either, it's just my own maybe way off base theory. An alternative possibility is the extra power is adding more heat to the intake tract and there's actually no change in air flow from the different front bumper design. I'm speculating since the 981cs ran for years without the window intakes but Porsche developed the window intake mod shortly after release of the 718cs so it seems like some change between the two gens necessitated the intake. I'm really excited for the GT4rs to see if there's an opportunity to retrofit the window intakes into a 981. On hot days at the track the loss in top end is noticeable....

Last edited by ajw45; 01-28-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:05 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

From what I read on here about the CS was that the side intakes IATs were limiting power at the top end being so close to the surface, picking up all that reflected heat with it. Therefore the side window intakes were developed and based on the tubing shown are the only source for intake air into the engine.
IIRC weather published OATs are measured at average face level and not at ground level for the same reason as applied to the CS..
Old 01-28-2021, 03:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Not like the bucket seats are torture devices, they are very comfortable and can be driven around town as well.
I agree and wouldn't own a Porsche without them, but not everyone agrees and Porsche is smart enough to offer their RS cars with a choice of seats to satisfy their customer base.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I agree and wouldn't own a Porsche without them, but not everyone agrees and Porsche is smart enough to offer their RS cars with a choice of seats to satisfy their customer base.
They definitely require some modifications, but once you add some lumbar support even with a folded towel and use one of the tilt adjustments, it's a pretty great seat.

I really hope they upgrade it to be foldable though... Lamborghini has done it with their torture rack carbon seat.. I can't imagine it's a different supplier for Porsche?
The following 2 users liked this post by CAlexio:
cox1974 (01-28-2021), jmartpr (01-29-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 06:43 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Won't be an issue with the Cayman but I just wish they folded so I could get stuff behind them in the 911.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:56 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m fat. Porsche’s bucket seats annoy the hell out of me, but not as much as McLaren. Ferrari has the road car racing seat down to perfection.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 01:59 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,594 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Porsche developed the window intake mod shortly after release of the 718cs so it seems like some change between the two gens necessitated the intake. I'm really excited for the GT4rs to see if there's an opportunity to retrofit the window intakes into a 981. On hot days at the track the loss in top end is noticeable....
It is definitely interesting - the 981 CS do pretty badly when it gets warmer even completely stock. You imagine that Porsche would've been aware of the reasons etc during testing but then after the introduction of the 718 CS they come up with a (rather jerry rigged) solution. Maybe they underestimated the losses in terms of competitiveness... but now the fact is that with the window intakes the Porsches are just about the quickest car on the straights in GT4 racing.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:57 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,486 Likes on 924 Posts

It is definitely interesting - the 981 CS do pretty badly when it gets warmer even completely stock. You imagine that Porsche would've been aware of the reasons etc during testing but then after the introduction of the 718 CS they come up with a (rather jerry rigged) solution. Maybe they underestimated the losses in terms of competitiveness... but now the fact is that with the window intakes the Porsches are just about the quickest car on the straights in GT4 racing.

Not following much GT4 right now but....Is this because of the new intakes or a combo of BoP rules + intake?
Old 01-29-2021, 09:59 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,486 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
They definitely require some modifications, but once you add some lumbar support even with a folded towel and use one of the tilt adjustments, it's a pretty great seat.

I really hope they upgrade it to be foldable though... Lamborghini has done it with their torture rack carbon seat.. I can't imagine it's a different supplier for Porsche?

I agree with this 100%...the reclining brackets are a must if you track the car....using a helmet pushes you forward. Will probably also add memory foam from P1 Designs to mine.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:32 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,161 Likes on 568 Posts

You can add some extra foam to the whole seat as I have done or just pick out the appropriate spot to apply 1/2 an inch of soft or medium foam under the alcantera covering for additional lumbar support. Not hard to do, and the seat backs pop right out. They are only held in place by velcro.

I am experimenting with pieces of soft and medium foam cut to size on top of the seat to see how big of a piece I need. It does not move around on short drives and you can move it up and down to see where the placement would be and how big the piece should be.

Once I figure out what I like after experimenting with different sizes and densities of the foam, I will open up the backrest insert and place the foam in just underneath the alcantera. If happy with everything, I will then reopen the seat insert again and use some 3m spray glue to attach the lumbar support to the other foam I have already added above the factory foam. See below link for details on that upgrade if you haven't already seen it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...n-upgrade.html

Last edited by lovetoturn; 01-29-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:34 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

I Macgyvered these. Last pic says it all...
View this post on Instagram
Old 01-29-2021, 11:45 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

…but still not very competitive in traffic where they can't get clean, cool airflow. This caused one team to switch mid-season last year to an Aston Martin, and others looking at other platforms as well.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:51 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,767 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I Macgyvered these. Last pic says it all...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKHY1jPl...=1mf20s6s7otr3
Can you describe the characteristics of JEGS foam, thickness, density etc... as for installation are those pieces simply held in by friction or did you use velcro?

Thanks

PS, love the fabric pattern, if that were available in SportTex I would give it a go.

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-29-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS