Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 03:08 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by very green R
Magnesium wheels and PCCB together save 27 KG of unsprung rotating mass, which is much more important than the static mass of the FAL, in terms of driving dynamics: acceleration, braking, steering feel, and ride.

This!
Old 12-03-2022, 03:23 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
That's got to be some serious speed hump....on the 718 gt4 I never had a problem with the front, but the rear diffuser did scrape occasionally. The front splitter extends further on the 4RS but not by a huge amount. IMO it depends how you use the car and where you live. As you can guess no FAL for me, like to keep it simple.
GT4 doesn’t have the underbody aero. That’s the thing that scrapes for me. Not the front lip.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:32 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by zbbb0730
Seats? Comfort is key for me. Probably won't track it any. But, the new buckets look pretty comfy compared to the old style with bolsters almost vertical.
I have the older style "GT2" sport bucket seats in my Cayman R and I find them very comfortable for very long drives I have taken over 11 years. The GT4RS Standard sport bucket seats should be even more comfortable because of the added shoulder support and the height adjustment has been added to allow for some change in position during long drives. I ordered the new buckets for my GT4RS.

But when it was looking like I would not get an allocation (and thinking of a 992 GTS lightweight package car) I studied the 18 way seats carefully in a used 718 boxter on the dealer lot and had my Cayman R parked next to it.
Kept hopping back and forth and tried the various adjustnments in the 18 way seats, including maximum support by adjusting the blow up side back and thigh bolsters all the way. It seemed as if the 18 ways held me tighter in the seat than the GT2 seats in my R. (Did not drive the boxter.)

But when my dealer traded a 992 GTS allocation to get me a GT4RS allocation my SA asked which seats I wanted 18 way or Standard Sport bucket seats. I went with weight savings and ordered with the standard sport bucket seats since I am sure they will be very comfortable for my long drives. If you have concerns with getting in and out of the car and don't mind the extra weight of the 18 way seats they would be more comfortable for you, still hold you in place while cornering IMO, but may hurt resale since many people expect the sport bucket seats in a GT4RS.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:36 PM
very green R
Instructor

Good things to hear:

Old 12-03-2022, 06:37 PM
Porsche_23rs
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
I have had several GT4RS customers switch over to Surface Transforms "ST" rotors for this exact reason. If you still want Carbon discs on your GT4RS after having to option iron brakes, this is the perfect solution for you. These will outperform the OE PCCB discs by every metric as shown below:
  • Lighter
  • Run Cooler
  • Last Longer
  • Refurbish 3-4x throughout their life
  • Much larger Pad selection (some guys even run their favorite iron pads with these on track)
  • Cost ~50% less than New PCCB discs
You also get to upgrade to the Pagid RSC pad lineup and avoid the risk of losing your factory warranty on your PCCB brakes. The Pagid RSC pads are fantastic on both the street and track.

I ship globally and I am running a great sale on ST rotors and Pagid pads through Thursday 12/1/22, PM or email for the best pricing!
I wasn't aware STs are now available for the 4RS. They weren't available a few months ago, so this is good news 👍
Old 12-03-2022, 07:11 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_23rs
I wasn't aware STs are now available for the 4RS. They weren't available a few months ago, so this is good news 👍
Available from q1/q2 2023 I believe.
I know that RPM Technik on our side were doing test fits and taking measurements for feedback a few weeks back.
The following users liked this post:
very green R (12-04-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 11:21 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Magnesium wheels and PCCB together save 27 KG of unsprung rotating mass, which is much more important than the static mass of the FAL, in terms of driving dynamics: acceleration, braking, steering feel, and ride.
I know that....I just talking about the weight savings of an individual item and thinking that's just not worth it if you are focused on weight savings.

Btw....if you want real weight saving save your $$$$ and get a PFC brake kit 380 and some mag wheels in 18.....you will even have spare change $$$ and be lighter than OEM.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:24 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
GT4 doesn’t have the underbody aero. That’s the thing that scrapes for me. Not the front lip.
Lowest part is the rear diffuser.....same one in gt4 and gt4rs.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:24 AM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Lowest part is the rear diffuser.....same one in gt4 and gt4rs.
Interesting. I haven’t had a problem with the rear at all. Just the underbody aero. When looking at my car front on level with the chin spoiler the underbody aero seems to be the low point of the car. Would you mind checking your gt4RS? There may be differences between countries.
Odin (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 12:49 AM
very green R
Instructor

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
Interesting. I haven’t had a problem with the rear at all. Just the underbody aero. When looking at my car front on level with the chin spoiler the underbody aero seems to be the low point of the car. Would you mind checking your gt4RS? There may be differences between countries.
From what Grant told us many months ago: Paraphrasing
Be careful with FAL since having front end liftted, the front clears, but then in some circumstances with the front up the bottom of the rear diffused is lower than normal and will scrape.
Just a geometry issue. So have to lower FAL after front clears so rear diffuser does not scrape.
Porsche2014 (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 12:56 AM
very green R
Instructor

I know that....I just talking about the weight savings of an individual item and thinking that's just not worth it if you are focused on weight savings.
Btw....if you want real weight saving save your $$$$ and get a PFC brake kit 380 and some mag wheels in 18.....you will even have spare change $$$ and be lighter than OEM.
Yes that is a great approach. I seriously considered this method when you first posted it months ago, and again recently when I thought my PCCB might have been placed on order stop by PAG..
Thanks
Old 12-04-2022, 01:15 AM
very green R
Instructor

Interesting discussion of FAL at around time stamp 2:20 with front fascia and front spoiler removed. Car is lifted much higher than the FAL will lift and yet the rear diffuser still has clearance to the ground. . So I am guessing the rear diffuser will hit if FAL is still up once the rear diffuser gets to the top of a tall speed hump, that does not have the proper amount of front to rear width, in the road.

KEPetersen (12-05-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 02:24 AM
WirthO
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

From what Grant told us many months ago: Paraphrasing
Be careful with FAL since having front end liftted, the front clears, but then in some circumstances with the front up the bottom of the rear diffused is lower than normal and will scrape.
Just a geometry issue. So have to lower FAL after front clears so rear diffuser does not scrape.
I have had my gt4rs for 3 weeks with FAL. Haven’t had any issues going over anything. I still treat the car like it’s my old gt4 with no FAL and angle all difficult terrain. Nothing hits front or rear of the the undercarriage doing this thus far.
Odin (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 04:42 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 195 Posts

Interesting discussion of FAL at around time stamp 2:20 with front fascia and front spoiler removed. Car is lifted much higher than the FAL will lift and yet the rear diffuser still has clearance to the ground. . So I am guessing the rear diffuser will hit if FAL is still up once the rear diffuser gets to the top of a tall speed hump, that does not have the proper amount of front to rear width, in the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMR1NwWudkg
This is exact same PPF treatment I had done to my car. Btw, no scraping of diffuser when lifting front over steep speed bumps. Underbody aero is the first touch point going over break angles. I forgot once to use my FAL going into my driveway and garage which has angles going both ways. Fortunately it’s loose surfaced, but will always use FAL in my driveway from now.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:46 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 195 Posts

Do you have a link to those numbers? I knew the Mags saved 10kgs, but haven’t seen a figure on the PCCB’s. Doesn’t this mass quadruple when on the go, and that’s why it’s so important to reduce it coming malted to the sprung mass? So I reckon my FAL’s extra wheight is countered just fine by the Mags & PCCB’s😎

Also I wonder if these options reduce the wheight of the car from its stated 1415kgs, or if that’s the lightest GT4RS build possible?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS