Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 04:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Hello Nilaz - I will be on the Red Bull Ring on the 19th! Probably the same car. Looking forward to it.

Yesterday, I got in 4 laps at the Nurburgring with RSR's GT4RS. Very exciting indeed. I will give you my comments based on my experience with a 981 GT4, and 981 Cayman S.

Overall, the car is very exciting. Here are my findings - and please understand I am not a journalist and had only 4 laps in the car at a place that requires 100% FOCU on the track, so a bit less on the car.

What I found to be Great:
The engine - it is everything a Cayman owner has been wanting. Its the real deal, full power on demand, with a linear feel. Really adictive - 100%.
The steering - I don't know what they did to make such a large improvement but the car goes EXACTLY where you want it go. I can not say enough good things about the turn it, and the handling - just wow wow wow. - 100% confidence.
The sound - NOT TOO LOUD. I was expecting it to be crazy loud. We did drive with our windows up, so I would say it was similar volumne to when I drive my 981 Cayman S with the windows down . But, unlike exhaust notes, it does make you feel more connected to the power plant which is a wonderful feeling. 100%

The Good:
The brakes were good, and perhaps they have been modded by RSR - I was expecting them to bite harder where I would need to be very careful with my left foot. But, they were just normal feeling. Again, this may be a different material than stock. Or, it could be that I am carrying more speed so I need and expect more brakes, but I would rate the brake set up on the RSR car as - 90%
Speaking of braking - no issue whatsoever in hard straightline braking. The rear was planted unlike my 981 GT4 where it could get tail happy. I give the rear set up under braking - 100%. But....

The Not so Good:
The rear end definately does not like to go over bumps or high curbing. Perhaps it is the diff setting, or the dramatic change in RPMS due to the higher RPM operating range, or perhaps it is the sound you definately hear with the RPM cuttouts, or perhaps it is the nature of rear struts - likely a combination of all of the above. But, the sound and the feel of the car going over bumps brings in some caution. It will definately have to be managed on track unless someone comes up with a different set up for the rear. -

If the ONLY thing I have to manage on the track is my rear end going over bumps, I will be super super happy. All other areas are so superb. No understeer. No delay power onset. No high gearing. No unstable hard braking.

Again, I am not a journalist and more importantly, I am not a 911 guy. I am a Cayman guy. From the perspective of a Cayman owner, this thing is everything we've always wanted and knew that a Cayman could do if given the power. It is perfect (almost)!

I will report more after my visit to the RedBull Ring on a rental car set up by Porsche.
Manthey today?

Old 10-17-2022, 07:04 AM
KEPetersen
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by KEPetersen; 10-17-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:20 PM
Odin
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Tand
@Odin . Looks great. What is the color? Nice pictures too😃👍
Viola metallic, 4VN/3AE
Old 10-18-2022, 04:58 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 250 Posts

Thought I would share as it always quality gear from Blipshift. Figured at least I will have a GT4RS one off print if the allocation doesn't come thru. Tees, hoodies etc. only available for 24 hrs here is the link
Old 10-19-2022, 04:59 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Found them….

If you were wondering where all the GT4RS have been hiding, i have found them!

At the Red Bull Ring!
The following 3 users liked this post by matttheboatman:
ausgang (10-19-2022), DFW01TT (10-20-2022), TripleL (10-27-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 07:07 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 98 Posts

No wonder why they ran out of LED parts…
The following users liked this post:
MEM82 (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 07:10 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
No wonder why they ran out of LED parts…
i understand that components for the camera system is the issue… the replacement option does not have camera.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:15 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

If you were wondering where all the GT4RS have been hiding, i have found them!

At the Red Bull Ring!

Not great business to build a bunch of company cars and delay customer cars for almost 1 year and use up limited parts...
KLCC 88 (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 07:40 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
Not great business to build a bunch of company cars and delay customer cars for almost 1 year and use up limited parts...
You think that's bad? My car has been siting at the port warehouse in Bremerhaven for 5 weeks because the car carrier (Hoegh) eliminated to shipping lane to the Caribbean direct from Bremerhaven.
Have even offered to pay to move it to other ports in the area that do have service....Porsche's answer: NO and there's nothing we can't do!
If this is not solved my car could be spending 5-6 month at Bremerhaven with other 50 units from the local dealer (plus whatever gets accumulated) because they are too lazy to contract these cars to an alternate shipping company.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Red face

+1 | I'm so salty that I can't even get an allocation.
josephr25 (10-19-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 12:28 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

I saw a couple of 4RS' today and the red one (a Rennlister's car) looked great, the gray one next to it, kinda' meh. The wing is imposing though. There are so many tweaks compared with the GT4.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:17 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 195 Posts

Do you think Porsche has a crystal ball and are able to foresee the future? Don’t you think the cars were meant to be rolling off the line at normal pace, but then the world collapsed with Putin starting his own personal war in Europe, disrupting supply of critical components and lock down of factories due to energy crisis. This is only going to get worse. My guess is European factories are having to shut down completely for periods during the coming winter. If Russia sabotages/attacks Norway’s oil and gas industry, Europe will have a complete black out. 7 drone flying russians near our airports, harbors and gas refineries have been arrested only this week.

These cars you wanted to be delivered to customers, were built oct -21 to march -22 and were designated for PEC’s etc., etc.

There will be ALOT fewer GT4RS’s and GT-cars in general produced than communicated in 2021 by Porsche. MY 23 will probably be the last production year. Not MY24 or MY25.
The following 2 users liked this post by Odin:
Frank718Spyder (10-23-2022), Sean in Texas (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 06:42 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

My first thought too. But, when you think about all the testing Porsche does, perhaps this is a good idea to put these cars into a fleet of Porsche Experience cars so they can be driven at the limit by every kind of driver on many different tracks as another way to test them before too many get out into the hands of the public.

Interesting comment - at the Porsche event I attended that they call the Porsche GT Experience at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg Austria, the GT4RS was baby GT car. They had an amazing selection of pure rental cars including GT3s / GT3RS / Clubsport / Cup Cars / and full Racing GT3RSR. It was fun following the new 992 GT3RS with the 4RS. In the straight it was only "slightly faster" than the 4RS. Later, I timed it - and the gentleman driver who rented it was averaging 1:32 laps. My best time in the 4RS was 1:45, with a more experienced driver reporting he was doing 1:41 laps. The average car did about 40 - 50 laps in total. And, in the entire day, with every type of GT car there, I did not see a single break down, or hear of any issue with any car. Impressive for sure.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:54 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

The sound - NOT TOO LOUD. I was expecting it to be crazy loud. We did drive with our windows up, so I would say it was similar volumne to when I drive my 981 Cayman S with the windows down . But, unlike exhaust notes, it does make you feel more connected to the power plant which is a wonderful feeling. 100%
Ok, so this is an OFFICIAL CORRECTION. The car is LOUD. I did find that the car rented at the Red Bull Ring, which happened to be equipped with the Weissach package was substaintially louder that the car I rented at Nurburgring without Weissach package. I am not 100% sure it is a direct correlation to the scoops which may be holding sound in, or if the carbon fiber radiates the sound more, or if there is some other set up that is different.

I did push the car to its very limits at the Red Bull Ring and was able to learn much more about the car, and how it handles at the very limit. I will report more later. But for now, here is a video clip....

The following 5 users liked this post by matttheboatman:
BlazinPond (11-14-2022), cbracerx (10-20-2022), KEPetersen (11-06-2022), Kermit_the_Frog (10-20-2022), Roadking (10-25-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 09:59 AM
Jevi Javi
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

that sucks. But I'm sure Porsche will work out the logistics for it not to spend 6 months in Bremerhaven.

Originally Posted by jmartpr
You think that's bad? My car has been siting at the port warehouse in Bremerhaven for 5 weeks because the car carrier (Hoegh) eliminated to shipping lane to the Caribbean direct from Bremerhaven.
Have even offered to pay to move it to other ports in the area that do have service....Porsche's answer: NO and there's nothing we can't do!
If this is not solved my car could be spending 5-6 month at Bremerhaven with other 50 units from the local dealer (plus whatever gets accumulated) because they are too lazy to contract these cars to an alternate shipping company.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS