Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 05:17 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I removed a BBI rollbar from my 981/718 GT4 and have it in the garage waiting for my GT4RS, sounds like it'll fit in the GT4RS huh? I even have the cut out plastic pieces and carpet.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:14 PM
burtonrider3889
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 35 Posts

Finally here!

The following 12 users liked this post by burtonrider3889:
Catmagog (10-24-2022), Frank718Spyder (10-23-2022), gt3rs. (10-23-2022), jblaw (10-23-2022), JBM718GTS (10-22-2022), Kermit_the_Frog (10-23-2022), matttheboatman (10-23-2022), Porsche2014 (10-23-2022), raymort (10-22-2022), rooster17 (10-22-2022), usctrojanGT3 (10-23-2022), WirthO (10-23-2022) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-23-2022, 10:07 AM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonrider3889
Finally here!

Congratulations!! Beautiful. Do share your impressions as you get acquainted with the car.
The following users liked this post:
KLCC 88 (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 01:55 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Here is my report on the GT4RS from my on track experience.... (disclosure; i'm not a journalist, and am definately a fan boy)

Overall, I found the car to be exactly what I would hoped it to be - a Cayman with the power to keep up with its big brothers.

It definately qualifies as the "most fun" car on track. Taking a passenger along for a hot lap is a wonderful experience for both the driver and the passenger. For the driver, the car inspires a boat-load of confidence. And, for the passenger, the drama associated with the sound and furry of the engine going to 9k redline is very entertaining. It is roomy, comfortable, and easy to drive. I suspect most did not buy a GT4RS thinking about how the passenger will feel, but i predict giving passenger rides will be one of the most rewarding experiences of owning this car.

Does the car understeer like all Caymans? Yes, and No.
The Red Bull Ring was the perfect place to find out as most to the corners are "safe" to try new things, and they repeat every minute and 40 seconds. It really helped to be on track with other GT4RSs, and 992 GT3s as I could see how the car was reacting in relation to the other cars ahead and behind - learning what makes the GT4RS quicker, and slower, through a corner. It took me about 20 laps before I got up to enough speed where I could finally find some weakness in the platform. The car was outfitted with the stock Michelin Cup 2s. No, it does not understeer in "normal" driving mode. I do NOT think you will find the car pushing on a winding mountain road. It will feel glued to the pavement. But, don't get over confident because you can induce understeer with either extreme turn-in, or too much early throttle input. But, and here is truly where the mid-engined Cayman platform shines, when I could finally make the car understeer, all I had to do what to open up the wheel a wee little bit and modulate a wee bit off the throttle, and the car would instantly bite and then demand more power application. Perhaps, what i am describing sounds like any car that understeers. But, what I'm trying to say is I find the GT4RS is different in takes some extreme agression to find the point where it understeers, and then happily comes back into compliance with the bare minimum of recovery inputs.

On my previous post, I commented that while on the Nurburg ring, I found the only weakness in the car was the rear became unstable when going over bumps while applying throttle. The Red Bull ring may be the smoothest track on the plannet, and with no bumps, I did not experience that sensation at all.

Is the engine really that good?
Yes.

When chasing a GT3, where could I make up some time?
If you like to late brake, then you will love the GT4RS. It really does allow you to stay on the power longer than GT3. The GT3 corners very well, but the Cayman platform is better mid-corner. The GT3 navigates corners smoothly, but I found that you can be more agressive with the GT4RS, not necessarily at turn-in, but certainly at mid corner. And, like on most cars, if you can get back on the throttle earlier than the car ahead of you, you will catch up to the GT3 in the straight.

How was the PDK?
Brilliant, nearly. I did experience several corners where the PDK stayed in a higher gear then it should have been. Some people complain that the PDK will downshift in mid-corner, which is true. But, when that happens, the car remains surprising stable. What I experienced was several times the car remained in 3rd gear coming out of a corner when it should have downshifted into 2nd. This is not the end of the world, and can easily be resolved by a quick flick of the left side paddle.

How is the steering?
Perfect.

How did I find the braking?
As I mentioned in a previous post, the brakes feel different to me. They are more liniear, with less intiial bite. So it took me a bit of leg pressure to reach the maximum input. When on track, the best practice is to get more braking at the intitial input and then slow trail off. I found that it took me a little while to get to max braking pressure - maybe a full second. On a graph, my braking might look like a mountain with max braking a the middle point, instead of the initial point of braking which is not ideal. So, I will need to mentally adjust to get on the brakes with more pressure initially to obtain max braking.

How was the rear visability?
Terrible. All you see is a massive rear wing, and maybe the tires of the car behind you. If someone offers extension that will raise and move the wing aft, I will gladly try it. Despite what Porsche may say, the reason it is where it is, is so that it does not extend beyond the rear bumper. It would better (and safer) if it was extended up and back in my opinion.

My Top 3 highlights:
* More fun on the track than other cars
* Delicious steering and engine feel
* Drama and furry of the sound makes the car extremely entertaining for passengers.

My Prediction of the Top 3 Complaints:
* Its too loud
* Rear visability is aweful.
* Why can't I get an allocation

I do think the GT4RS will be everyones most favorite car they have ever owned, if not couting that 1974 Chevrolet Impala equipped with a stereo amp, equalizer, and Jenson tri-ax speakers you were so proud to own back in high school .

Last edited by matttheboatman; 10-23-2022 at 02:09 PM.
The following 18 users liked this post by matttheboatman:
6IXSPD (10-26-2022), antsjey (10-23-2022), BlazinPond (11-14-2022), Catmagog (10-24-2022), Craig67 (10-23-2022), GrantG (10-23-2022), Jevi Javi (10-24-2022), KEPetersen (11-06-2022), Kermit_the_Frog (10-23-2022), KLCC 88 (10-23-2022), n4v4nod (10-23-2022), Odin (10-23-2022), PistolPete (10-23-2022), Porsche2014 (10-24-2022), TNturboS (10-27-2022), TrondGT4 (10-24-2022), UncleDude (10-23-2022), WirthO (10-23-2022) and 13 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-23-2022, 02:05 PM
KLCC 88
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Here is my report on the GT4RS from my on track experience.... (disclosure; i'm not a journalist, and am definately a fan boy)

Overall, I found the car to be exactly what I would hoped it to be - a Cayman with the power to keep up with its big brothers.

It definately qualifies as the "most fun" car on track. Taking a passenger along for a hot lap is a wonderful experience for both the driver and the passenger. For the driver, the car inspires a boat-load of confidence. And, for the passenger, the drama associated with the sound and furry of the engine going to 9k redline is very entertaining. It is roomy, comfortable, and easy to drive. I suspect most did not buy a GT4RS thinking about how the passenger will feel, but i predict giving passenger rides will be one of the most rewarding experiences of owning this car.

The Red Bull Ring was the perfect place to find out as most to the corners are "safe" to try new things, and they repeat every minute and 40 seconds. It really helped to be on track with other GT4RSs, and 992 GT3s as I could see how the car was reacting in relation to the other cars ahead and behind - learning what makes the GT4RS quicker, and slower, through a corner. It took me about 20 laps before I got up to enough speed where I could finally find some weakness in the platform. The car was outfitted with the stock Michelin Cup 2s. No, it does not understeer in "normal" driving mode. I do NOT think you will find the car pushing on a winding mountain road. It will feel glued to the pavement. But, don't get over confident because you can induce understeer with either extreme turn-in, or too much early throttle input. But, and here is truly where the mid-engined Cayman platform shines, when I could finally make the car understeer, all I had to do what to open up the wheel a wee little bit and modulate a wee bit off the throttle, and the car would instantly bite and then demand more power application. Perhaps, what i am describing sounds like any car that understeers. But, what I'm trying to say is I find the GT4RS is different in takes some extreme agression to find the point where it understeers, and then happily comes back into compliance with the bare minimum of recovery inputs.

On my previous post, I commented that while on the Nurburg ring, I found the only weakness in the car was the rear became unstable when going over bumps while applying throttle. The Red Bull ring may be the smoothest track on the plannet, and with no bumps, I did not experience that sensation at all.

Yes.

If you like to late brake, then you will love the GT4RS. It really does allow you to stay on the power longer than GT3. The GT3 corners very well, but the Cayman platform is better mid-corner. The GT3 navigates corners smoothly, but I found that you can be more agressive with the GT4RS, not necessarily at turn-in, but certainly at mid corner. And, like on most cars, if you can get back on the throttle earlier than the car ahead of you, you will catch up to the GT3 in the straight.

How was the PDK?
Brilliant, nearly. I did experience several corners where the PDK stayed in a higher gear then it should have been. Some people complain that the PDK will downshift in mid-corner, which is true. But, when that happens, the car remains surprising stable. What I experienced was several times the car remained in 3rd gear coming out of a corner when it should have downshifted into 2nd. This is not the end of the world, and can easily be resolved by a quick flick of the left side paddle.

How is the steering?
Perfect.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the brakes feel different to me. They are more liniear, with less intiial bite. So it took me a bit of leg pressure to reach the maximum input. When on track, the best practice is to get more braking at the intitial input and then slow trail off. I found that it took me a little while to get to max braking pressure - maybe a full second. On a graph, my braking might look like a mountain with max braking a the middle point, instead of the initial point of braking which is not ideal. So, I will need to mentally adjust to get on the brakes with more pressure initially to obtain max braking.

Terrible. You can hardly see a thing behind you. So you better be going faster than everyone else!

My Top 3 highlights:
* Drama and furry of the sound makes the car extremely entertaining for passengers.

* Its too loud

I do think the GT4RS will be everyones most favorite car they have ever owned, if not couting that 1974 Chevrolet Impala equipped with a stereo amp, equalizer, and Jenson tri-ax speakers you were so proud to own back in high school .
Fantastic review. Thank you! Makes the wait for mine even longer.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:28 PM
Kermit_the_Frog
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 55 Posts

Great review! I guess NoiseCancelling-Bose will be mandatory?
Old 10-23-2022, 02:54 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes.

How was the PDK?

How is the steering?
Perfect.

Terrible. All you see is a massive rear wing, and maybe the tires of the car behind you. If someone offers extension that will raise and move the wing aft, I will gladly try it. Despite what Porsche may say, the reason it is where it is, is so that it does not extend beyond the rear bumper. It would better (and safer) if it was extended up and back in my opinion.

My Top 3 highlights:

* Its too loud

Almost agree with your comments. It is a special car for sure.
Have you drove a 992 GT3 for at least 20 laps in the same track?
I would like to hear your comparison as both cars are similar specs but different platform.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,947 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Yes.

How was the PDK?

How is the steering?
Perfect.

My Top 3 highlights:

* Its too loud

Nice job conveying the feeling of driving this car. As for the brakes, I assume that the 4RS suffers from the same issue as the GT3 with the new government-mandated Copper-free brake pads. I think you'll find that using aftermarket pads (or possibly the new pads developed for the 992 GT3 RS) will reveal how good these brakes are (I assume you have Iron rotors?). My favorite pad is the RE10 from Race Technologies, but others have their own favorite.
The following 3 users liked this post by GrantG:
KEPetersen (11-06-2022), matttheboatman (10-24-2022), ZaGT4 (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 07:15 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I removed a BBI rollbar from my 981/718 GT4 and have it in the garage waiting for my GT4RS, sounds like it'll fit in the GT4RS huh? I even have the cut out plastic pieces and carpet.
I'll be interested to hear if this fits. I went to place an order, however they wanted to see if it would clear an RS airbox before shipping to me.
KEPetersen (11-06-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 08:36 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
There will be ALOT fewer GT4RS’s and GT-cars in general produced than communicated in 2021 by Porsche. MY 23 will probably be the last production year. Not MY24 or MY25.
So you think there will be a year+ gap of no 718's to dealers at all before the electric one is released and starts delivering to customers?
I mean are they not moving 718 production to VW shared factory for mid next year, opening up a 2024 MY?
Old 10-23-2022, 09:15 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin

There will be ALOT fewer GT4RS’s and GT-cars in general produced than communicated in 2021 by Porsche. MY 23 will probably be the last production year. Not MY24 or MY25.
Don't forget there are other GT cars still in the pipeline to be announced (Spyder RS, 911 ST, maybe more who knows), and 3RS just announced with allocations for some markets still TBD/waiting

There will be MY24

As for MY25, that likely covers the transition to 992.2 where the Carrera line starts off first, so yes you are probably right there
Old 10-23-2022, 09:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,947 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Don't forget there are other GT cars still in the pipeline to be announced (Spyder RS, 911 ST, maybe more who knows), and 3RS just announced with allocations for some markets still TBD/waiting

There will be MY24

As for MY25, that likely covers the transition to 992.2 where the Carrera line starts off first, so yes you are probably right there
If things follow traditional schedule, the first 992.2 Carrera will be Model Year 2024 (US cars a year away)
Old 10-24-2022, 07:09 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Kermit_the_Frog
I guess NoiseCancelling-Bose will be mandatory?
Whatever sound system you choose, it cannot cancel out the high NVH of the 4RS.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:24 AM
Tom Loder
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
Whatever sound system you choose, it cannot cancel out the high NVH of the 4RS.
I think they meant Bose noise canceling headphones
Old 10-24-2022, 09:25 AM
Kermit_the_Frog
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 55 Posts

Exactly. I didn't order BOSE because it makes no sense in such a car imo.
HooosierDaddy (11-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS