Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 11:00 AM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
If one only put away the bias that the 911 is the top dog and 'should' be faster.......

911, with the rear engine layout, takes time to get used to, and is rewarding once one get the hang of it. Doesn't means it's the best layout for going fast, but it is what most Porsche owners are used to.

The Cayman/Boxster had always been the 2nd class citizen in the line up, handicapped engine output, handicapped gearbox, etc. It was never given a fair fight.

The GT4RS is the closest thing to a 'fair fight' against a 911. Same engine as a GT3, with a bespoke gearbox. Tire sizes are still a compromise but at least it's close enough for people to compare mid engine vs rear engine sort of fairly.

Having driven almost every single model Porsche made, which includes all generations of 911s, all generations of Cayman/Boxster, same with Macans, Cayennes, Panamera, Taycan, 924, 944, 968, 928, CGT and 918. Only road cars I haven't is the GT1, 959, 356s, 550 Spyder and the 914 ( never will, completely not interested in the ugliest Porsche ever and it's not even a proper Porsche, but that's another long topic for some other time). I really think the GT4RS is the best from Porsche up to this point in time, yes, even better than the 992 GT3, just because of the mid engine layout and much much better gearing. 992 GT3 is just simply over rated and the GT4RS under rated.

If I were to only be able to keep 3 Porsches ever. #1 would be the 918, there will never be another more complex car made, technology tour de force. A 911 turbo S, any generation, as they are the pinnacle of all around sports car of their respective generations, and the 3rd car might as well be the GT4RS, alternative would be a 959, or a GT1. That's how highly I think of the GT4RS.
Some claim the Cayman is not a “real Porsche”. It’s also interesting that your disdain for the 914 is so high, yet you have no qualms about driving a 924, originally and Audi project with and Audi engine - another car claimed to be not a “real Porsche”

Let’s also not forget all the Cayennes built on the VW Touareg chassis.

But to address your GT4RS handicapping comment, the real handicap is still the poor suspension geometry. The Toyota MR2 suffered the same 4-corner McPherson strut design which has a sub-optimal camber curve and was lambasted for its snap oversteer.

If Porsche truly wanted the Cayman to dethrone the 911, they’d give it multilink rear and double wishbone front suspension.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:09 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by greatfox315

If Porsche truly wanted the Cayman to dethrone the 911, they’d give it multilink rear and double wishbone front suspension.
Not sure he’s saying Porsche is trying to dethrone the 911 with the Cayman. It’ll forever be just under the 911 GT product. So there’s no truly.

it’s a 718, it is what it is. Another product line with its own specifications. That sits below 911. Always will in my opinion. Unless 911 GT product goes end of life.

it’s a strange narrative when people speak of the « Cayman Complex ». As if Porsche is intentionally handicapping it to prevent it from leading the sports car lineup within the brand. Or that they are forgetting to add the right parts to have it beat 911 GT product.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:49 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Not sure he’s saying Porsche is trying to dethrone the 911 with the Cayman. It’ll forever be just under the 911 GT product. So there’s no truly.

it’s a 718, it is what it is. Another product line with its own specifications. That sits below 911. Always will in my opinion. Unless 911 GT product goes end of life.

it’s a strange narrative when people speak of the « Cayman Complex ». As if Porsche is intentionally handicapping it to prevent it from leading the sports car lineup within the brand. Or that they are forgetting to add the right parts to have it beat 911 GT product.
Agreed....the mid platform is just another product designed to offer choice inside their lineup.
From the start the plan was to offer something a bit more affordable so the design of all generations and models follow this. It is what it is.....a great car never the less.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:54 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

I find it hard to believe they "forgot" to add on a better suspension setup.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:00 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

I 100% believe it is intentional on Porsche’s part. They are masters at extracting every cent possible from their clientele. The hierarchy justifies the higher prices for the 911 models and the 718/Cayman is a stepping stone to get there. I totally agree that if they could kill off the 911, it would allow the 718 to go full-fat.

However the 911 is too iconic, and the 718 is not, so that is highly unlikely. What is more likely is for the 718 to go electric, and the 911 to go mid-engine (a la RSR) to take it to the next level of capability.

All that is really tertiary, though. The GT4RS is supremely capable, enjoyable as an experience, and is worthy of all the praise it has been lauded with. Even more to the point, the GT4RS plays a unique role in Porsche’s lineup. It straddles the line between serious and fun, placing an inordinate amount of weight on driving pleasure without chasing ultimate lap times. It is the Caterham of Porsche sports cars - the hedonist’s choice.

Last edited by greatfox315; 04-15-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:02 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thuggo
I find it hard to believe they "forgot" to add on a better suspension setup.

It does have improvements over all previous Cayman/Boxsters...but if you are referring to giving it multi-link and double wishbone (like the 992 GT3) that would require a whole redesigned uni body as the 981/982 can't be adapted to that suspension setup.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:08 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmartpr
It does have improvements over all previous Cayman/Boxsters...but if you are referring to giving it multi-link and double wishbone (like the 992 GT3) that would require a whole redesigned uni body as the 981/982 can't be adapted to that suspension setup.
Porsche have demonstrated that, if it truly matters to them, they can engineer a bespoke suspension geometry for a single model.
The following users liked this post:
thuggo (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 12:08 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

And yet there's an aftermarket multilink rear setup available...if Porsche wanted to do it they could have.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:19 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thuggo
And yet there's an aftermarket multilink rear setup available...if Porsche wanted to do it they could have.
Yeah...the Autoquest one. You don't see too many of those around or feedback.
One thing is aftermarket and another thing is something designed for the long haul with warranty while keeping the cost down.
At the end the current suspension design is to make it fit right under the 911....they need to keep feeding the need to upgrade and spend more $$$$$
Old 04-15-2022, 12:21 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Porsche have demonstrated that, if it truly matters to them, they can engineer a bespoke suspension geometry for a single model.

and then you have a GT4RS that cost more than the 992 GT3......blowing all their model structure and probably creating a mess on the production line.
Again....it is, what it is and we should be glad they actually did this car. They even finally addressed the gearing problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
Porsche2014 (04-16-2022), very green R (04-16-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 12:37 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Agreed....the mid platform is just another product designed to offer choice inside their lineup.
From the start the plan was to offer something a bit more affordable so the design of all generations and models follow this. It is what it is.....a great car never the less.
Yes, an absolutely fine car! Having had GT4 and GT3 with both of the current ones coming soon as well. I thoroughly enjoy both but to put it simply the feel of GT4 is just so tight on track, with ease. The small cabin adds to the experience. Hoping to replace the 4 with 4RS next year...while keeping the Touring.
Porsche2014 (04-16-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 12:43 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

I 100% believe it is intentional on Porsche’s part. They are masters at extracting every cent possible from their clientele. The hierarchy justifies the higher prices for the 911 models and the 718/Cayman is a stepping stone to get there. I totally agree that if they could kill off the 911, it would allow the 718 to go full-fat.

However the 911 is too iconic, and the 718 is not, so that is highly unlikely. What is more likely is for the 718 to go electric, and the 911 to go mid-engine (a la RSR) to take it to the next level of capability.

All that is really tertiary, though. The GT4RS is supremely capable, enjoyable as an experience, and is worthy of all the praise it has been lauded with. Even more to the point, the GT4RS plays a unique role in Porsche’s lineup. It straddles the line between serious and fun, placing an inordinate amount of weight on driving pleasure without chasing ultimate lap times. It is the Caterham of Porsche sports cars - the hedonist’s choice.
That's just it...that's the plan for the product!

Maybe I didn't convey that well in my previous response.

People think there's some mystery or development got it wrong. It's all intentional, people need to stop believing it should be something else. It is what it is, nothing more or less.

The 4RS should still provide backroad fun from a RS perspective. looking forward to those reviews from the favourites. I can't wait to see it on track and get one.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:45 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

and then you have a GT4RS that cost more than the 992 GT3......blowing all their model structure and probably creating a mess on the production line.
Again....it is, what it is and we should be glad they actually did this car. They even finally addressed the gearing problem.
This is exactly my point. If there were no hierarchy, we wouldn't see bits like the 992 suspension being withheld from the 718/Cayman chassis. This isn't a complaint, this is an observation. Frankly, the GT4RS is already so expensive that only a select few well-heeled enthusiasts will even be able to purchase one. I am not advocating for it to go up-market.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:59 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 691 Likes on 375 Posts

Yes, an absolutely fine car! Having had GT4 and GT3 with both of the current ones coming soon as well. I thoroughly enjoy both but to put it simply the feel of GT4 is just so tight on track, with ease. The small cabin adds to the experience. Hoping to replace the 4 with 4RS next year...while keeping the Touring.
having had a 991.2 gt3rs most recently and driven a 991.2 Gt3 manual, then driving a gt4…I couldn’t believe how good the gt4 is…

it’s the most “fun” car Porsche makes. It’s just a way more tossable better handling 997.1 Gt3 (almost identical size, almost identical gearing, almost identical shifter, almost identical hp) and we had one of those when they were new for 7 years. The 991.2 is just slightly too big imo (feels WAY heavier even tho same weight) and the shifter on the normal Gt3 is not as good as the gt4 for some reason, less notchy imo.

the front end of the gt4 is just so much more agile which translates to fun, 997gt3 handled like trash compared tbh even with same tires. (Did have a better engine sound and feel)

I hope to get a gt4rs towards the end of the run, I very well understand how it could be the best Porsche of the last 15 years without ever driving one yet having driven the other cars

Last edited by welikethetrack; 04-15-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Odin (04-17-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 02:09 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Some claim the Cayman is not a “real Porsche”. It’s also interesting that your disdain for the 914 is so high, yet you have no qualms about driving a 924, originally and Audi project with and Audi engine - another car claimed to be not a “real Porsche”
The 924 is so much more of a looker than the 914 dude. Shape of the 914 is just plain ugly. Some 40 years now, the 924's proportion still looks perfect. It spawns the 944 and 968 after all. The 914 on the other hand, looks like a small tissue box sitting on top of a big tissue box.

But to address your GT4RS handicapping comment, the real handicap is still the poor suspension geometry. The Toyota MR2 suffered the same 4-corner McPherson strut design which has a sub-optimal camber curve and was lambasted for its snap oversteer.

You looking at things too superficially. It's not just about geometry. Weight distribution plays a big role. 911 had always been handicapped by the rear engine, and turn in suffers. It's not until the 992 GT3 that Porsche really tamed the light front end turn in problem. In order to drive a 911 fast, one has to trail brake deep, very deep, in order to keep the weight in the front to help it get more bite to turn, and if one gets that wrong, the rear will swing around. Suspension geometry can only help so much until physics takes over.

The mid engine Porsches doesn't have such a problem. They are naturally nimble and willing to turn. Lack of power and poor gearing is what holding the Cayman/Boxster back. The GT4RS solved both problems. Could more expensive and better geometry components helped the GT4RS, of course, but it will also means more dollars. But the gain will not be as big as on a 911. Diminishing return so to speak.

The following 5 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
Diablo Dude (04-17-2022), jmartpr (04-15-2022), KEPetersen (04-28-2022), KLCC 88 (04-15-2022), Odin (04-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS