Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 05:46 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake;[url=tel:17791433
17791433[/url]]If it were 5-lug, i could be convinced to trade for my 992 GT3. Well maybe not, but this is a great car. Still has tractor suspension, but works well enough....
5 lug conversion on the 4RS should be easy because there are already 5 lug hubs from the GT4.

Not the case with GT3
Old 11-17-2021, 05:55 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Clearly you have never messed with anti-seize before LOL

You'd be amazed where you find it afterwards.

Wife to me in shower: What's that all over your-
Me: Don't worry about it. Just show me so I can wipe it off.

Exactly
The following users liked this post:
CaymanMatt (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 05:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
...making it a little easier:

https://youtu.be/B35VBafGRo4
I assume you know that this is worth as much as a set of forgelines? 5K to solve a problem that is caused by AP solving a problem that is not a problem to begin with.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:59 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Individual throttle bodies in this engine like GT3?
Old 11-17-2021, 06:00 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
The purpose of these attempts isnt "push the car to its limits by modifying it to the extent where more performance can be extracted"
That's not really what's happening here. Otherwise, they'd actually do that. Like gutting the car, additional aero, non-street-legal tires, changing the tune of the car, headers, exhaust, etc. Which yeah, they kinda tried with the MR setup. But that's another discussion.

but rather "production car lap records". That means you have to draw the line somewhere and that line is pretty simple : a vehicle as can be purchased by a customer, full stop.
That's the line you are drawing, no? The standard I'm familiar with is: street legal and OEM. R compound tires, removing the radio/AC, and using a racing seat while technically not "factory configuration", they don't really cross a huge line for me personally. And for many others in the world. If you don't like it, cool. Then disregard the numbers and go buy a Chevy or a Lambo or some other car and live your life happy, knowing you aren't driving a Favorable Lie (Porsche)

But guess what... you can't purchase these cars with a roll cage in the USA. And the cars come without particulate filters here but with them in the rest of the world. So, that kind of throws a monkey wrench in the idea that Ring times have to be 100% OEM Factory without any changes. At the end of the day, the biggest difference is tires. If the tires used were non-street-legal, that's another story. But they are both street legal and available should you want to use them. I don't think using an actual racing seat is a big deal. That's a safety thing and not an example of Porsche trying to cheat or game the system IMO.

You have picked 1 thing out of many I outlined.
Tires are gonna make the biggest difference. AP said the Cup 2 R tires are good for like 6-8 seconds on the Ring (I forgot his exact number quoted).

What about using track pads?
I know nothing about the different pads used. So I can't comment other than what I've said below.

Or A/C and Radio delete? Whats the purpose of removing those? Because if there is an accident the radio might kill the driver?
Obviously it's to reduce weight. How much weight is saved? How many seconds does that translate to? Does this cross the line a bit? Yeah, I'll concede that.

Why are there now "track pads" and owners of 992 GT3s complain brakes pretty much failing under aggressive driving (never an issue in 991)?
That one I can answer. I've heard it's because laws/regulations around brake pads have changed since the 991 cars. The pad material has to be different by law from the factory. But you are free to purchase different pads after the fact. Does that suck? Yes. But it's not Porsche's fault.

Why cant you and I order a 992 GT3 today, right now, with Cup2R tires but they come with Good Years?
I don't know. They also come with Cup 2 tires. Just not R compound. My GT3RS came with Cup 2 N2 compound. Your GT3RS should have as well... Are 992 GT3s not showing up at dealers with Cup 2s? I haven't heard anything.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 11-17-2021 at 06:06 PM.
zedcat (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Individual throttle bodies in this engine like GT3?
Yes.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:16 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I assume you know that this is worth as much as a set of forgelines? 5K to solve a problem that is caused by AP solving a problem that is not a problem to begin with.

Meh, I have no skin in this game, and I'm all about "doing it oneself", and "on the budget" if possible, yada yada yada...I also am/was above average in strength/athletic ability. That said, as I age, I've been pulling muscles et al, just getting out of bed some mornings. After seeing Matt, a big boy, struggle with them, if I had CLs, I'm not about all that "strain/effort", if I got a flat on a road trip, in the middle of nowhere. $5k, "for me", is worth not having to wait on the side of the road, or have someone not familiar with CLs at a "tire shop" jack up my wheel, or have me laid up because I tore something "else"...both my ACLs are enough. Let alone the possibility of needing someone else in the car to keep the wheel straight?
KEPetersen (11-18-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:20 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
Where does it stop though?

Hoosier R7s are DOT approved. They are street-legal tires with a "tread." Would it be unethical for an automaker to market their new sports car with lap times using this tire? How about if this tire was not available on the car from the factory?

I can't say how/why, but that example feels different than using R compound Cup 2s instead of N2. Or Porsche just selling the car with R compound. I don't know why they don't offer them as at least an option. But my guess is because they don't last long enough and customers would complain. The tires you pictured are basically slicks disguised as street legal to get DOT approval. If a car company wanted to set the ultimate ring time, they could very well sell the car with those as an option, and then be "in the clear". There's always a way to game the system. I'm not obsessed with Ring times. So when a company uses R tires or a racing seat, it doesn't bother me I guess.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:20 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
... And the cars come without particulate filters here but with them in the rest of the world. So, that kind of throws a monkey wrench in the idea that Ring times have to be 100% OEM Factory without any changes....

I thought the US-spec cars come with particulate filters, containing 80-95% of the material found in the canisters of what is in the ROW cars? At least the first year's worth of cars.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:53 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Meh, I have no skin in this game, and I'm all about "doing it oneself", and "on the budget" if possible, yada yada yada...I also am/was above average in strength/athletic ability. That said, as I age, I've been pulling muscles et al, just getting out of bed some mornings. After seeing Matt, a big boy, struggle with them, if I had CLs, I'm not about all that "strain/effort", if I got a flat on a road trip, in the middle of nowhere. $5k, "for me", is worth not having to wait on the side of the road, or have someone not familiar with CLs at a "tire shop" jack up my wheel, or have me laid up because I tore something "else"...both my ACLs are enough. Let alone the possibility of needing someone else in the car to keep the wheel straight?
The biggest challenges that I have experienced with centerlocks is a) you have to activate the brakes to provide enough counter force, so either a person or a clamp on the brake pedal (and this is totally a problem for bleeding brake / changing pads), and b) the force needed to loosen and torque the nuts, and the challenge to keep the front wheels straight without the steering wheel locked or someone holding it.

A cheaper solution, but also way more costly than it should be, is the renntorque unit. it's both a torque multiplier, and it uses your wheel to provide the counter force. So very low force (~120lbs with a regular torque wrench) no person, no clamp, no issues with bleeding or changing pads, etc.

I'm going ghetto - which is a $300 torque multiplier that uses the floor to react, 3/4" digital torque gauge, my old Snapon 1/2" beam torque wrench, and a woodworking clamp.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

The answer was always going to be YES.
The suspension alone is holding the GT4 RS back in comparison with the GT3. Not to mention,if you're going with pdk only(for track times) ...why not give it the E-diff?!
Anyway...a step forward giving the Cayman a GT3 engine...
Old 11-17-2021, 07:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The answer was always going to be YES.
The suspension alone is holding the GT4 RS back in comparison with the GT3. Not to mention,if you're going with pdk only(for track times) ...why not give it the E-diff?!
Anyway...a step forward giving the Cayman a GT3 engine...
The question of sandbagging does not refer to Porsche’s development of the GT4 RS, it refers to rumors that their laptime of 7:09 was intentionally slower than its potential best lap. This analyst and others had hinted or suggested that in the past.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The question of sandbagging does not refer to Porsche’s development of the GT4 RS, it refers to rumors that their laptime of 7:09 was intentionally slower than its potential best lap. This analyst and others had hinted or suggested that in the past.
Ah ok I understand. Sorry,I haven't been following this guy to know what he's referring to,but I did watch the video.
Perhaps " sandbagging " is not the right word to describe it,but they're certainly holding back the 4 RS a bit so that it doesn't outperform the GT3...IMO of course...
Old 11-17-2021, 07:11 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Coupled with the fact that they got a driver not as familiar with the track as other "factory drivers".
Old 11-17-2021, 07:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

The non weissach with the body color hood, cleaner window intake vents, and black plastic parts instead of carbon is growing on me. It's just so clean.
The following 4 users liked this post by CAlexio:
IRM (11-17-2021), JAhmed (11-17-2021), mclarenmaniac (11-17-2021), sunnyr (11-18-2021)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS