Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 09:24 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
I bet bugger all / very minimal changes.
If they don’t follow the RS recipe it won’t really be a RS. The GT3 RS is very different to the GT3. The gearing is shorter, different PDK-Diff calibration, more HP, more torque, lots of suspension changes from geometry to full rose jointing, substantially more aero and on it goes. The RS if following the script should feel very different to the GT4. The GT3 RS feels nothing like a GT3 - I hope Porsche follow through with the recipe.

Not sure why people are pouring cash into 4.5 or 4l stokers/rebores - the speed and performance of the GT cars largely comes from the chassis and ability to produce grip imparting higher corner speeds - each to their own😀

Last edited by groundhog; 04-08-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:45 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Not sure why people are pouring cash into 4.5 or 4l stokers/rebores - the speed and performance of the GT cars largely comes from the chassis and ability to produce grip imparting higher corner speeds - each to their own😀
To be able to play with GT3/RS on the track without having to wait for the car PAG will never build......
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
gt3rs. (04-09-2020), Rick DeMan (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:01 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by jmartpr
To be able to play with GT3/RS on the track without having to wait for the car PAG will never build......
Just buy the GT3 RS - it’ll serve you way better in the long run and is a far better set up in every way.

lol well PAG have built a GT4 RS and I’ll take a Porsche engine every day of the week over a rebore/stroker.

learn to drive the car to its real limits first - then maximise time gains from the suspension and tires.

Most race series come to driver and tires - it’s all about maximising corner speeds and corner exit speeds.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,948 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
I like those NACA ducts in the hood in the Autocar piece.

What are they cooling, the matching luggage?
That is where they are on the GT3 RS and GT2 RS. They are ducted to the brake rotors. Eliminates the under-body scoops for brake cooling. The result is better brake cooling, less drag, and more downforce (and does not encroach on luggage space)...
The following 3 users liked this post by GrantG:
Kermit_the_Frog (04-09-2020), Rick DeMan (04-09-2020), sobiloff (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:11 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Just buy the GT3 RS - it’ll serve you way better in the long run and is a far better set up in every way.

lol well PAG have built a GT4 RS and I’ll take a Porsche engine every day of the week over a rebore/stroker.

learn to drive the car to its real limits first - then maximise time gains from the suspension and tires.

Most race series come to driver and tires - it’s all about maximising corner speeds and corner exit speeds.

What if you prefer a mid engine car? What if you like to have a sleeper car? What if you have both but feel better driving the wheels off a GT4 instead of your precious RS? There are a million reasons to do it but to each their own....
In my case I'm upgrading to the 718 instead of keeping the 981 GT4 and going down the upgrade path.
I agree on maximizing your cars potential but....even if you drive the 981 or 718 GT4 at 10/10ths you will never match a GT3/RS (equal drivers of course)...not even with mods unless you do the whole thing including the bore/stroked engine.
There's a reason the big jump in price between GT4 and GT3.....
The following users liked this post:
Rick DeMan (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:24 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by jmartpr
What if you prefer a mid engine car? What if you like to have a sleeper car? What if you have both but feel better driving the wheels off a GT4 instead of your precious RS? There are a million reasons to do it but to each their own....
In my case I'm upgrading to the 718 instead of keeping the 981 GT4 and going down the upgrade path.
I agree on maximizing your cars potential but....even if you drive the 981 or 718 GT4 at 10/10ths you will never match a GT3/RS (equal drivers of course)...not even with mods unless you do the whole thing including the bore/stroked engine.
There's a reason the big jump in price between GT4 and GT3.....
I have no preference, I have two mid-engined cars (720S, 981GTS) and one rear engined (991.2 GT3 RS) - I simply believe you get more out of the driving experience by pushing what you have to the limits and being able to do it consistently. Thats one of the reasons I like regularity competitions - they highlight real skill e.g. a driver that can drive his car at the limit and do it consistently.....

There is no doubt in my mind the mid engined cars Porsche produce are fantastic - however they need to get to work on the rear suspension set up.

I guess I have never been a HP chaser, more a skill and training chaser.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:34 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

learn to drive the car to its real limits first - then maximise time gains from the suspension and tires. Most race series come to driver and tires - it’s all about maximising corner speeds and corner exit speeds.
And after that is achieved then one needs more power or has a lack of power compared to alternatives. Or just give up and go fishing. Well thats my situation, anyway.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:53 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

There is no doubt in my mind the mid engined cars Porsche produce are fantastic - however they need to get to work on the rear suspension set up.

I guess I have never been a HP chaser, more a skill and training chaser.
Have to agree 100% that investing in the nut behind the wheel is probably the first place and I've never been a high HP wannabee
Safety mods would be right up there at the top of the list if you're going to be a 10/10 driver

I'm more of an 8/10 driver but I did have the great folks at Autoquest in Florida put the multi-link rear suspension on my GT4

have only done a couple of DEs in the last few years (incident at Laguna a couple of years ago had me rethinking just how fast I was traveling...I wasn't on the track at the time but a corner worker lost his life)

I do have a story about the GT4 with multi-link, at COTA was passed by a GT3RS on the long back straight
whoever was driving left me in the dust but once we got to the turns (12 thru 20) I started reeling them in
then, to the front straight and gone again

doesn't really amount to much of a story because we don't know the drivers and tires as you suggest (probably just an apples to oranges story)
but with just suspension mods GT4 is awesome, so why not give it 50 to 100 more hp like DeMan or BGB

I'm trying to get a buddy of mine (a 10/10 driver) to drive my GT4 with suspension mods so he can compare his times to a regular GT4 (a true apples to apples)
there's probably several folks in FL who have already done so but I haven't seem a direct comparison on track times with same driver/different car

I say to Porsche, "unleash the beast" and give the GT4RS the full treatment with 500 hp (not that I'm in need of that much hp, pretty happy with what I have)
Apollo Falcon (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:22 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

500HP in the 718 would be very impressive, but not worth paying for (IMHO) unless there are very significant suspension and aero upgrades. FAL would be crucial, and RAS would be very, very nice to have. (Can you imagine what a razor a 718 would be with RAS?) Let's hope the C&D article is more than mere speculation.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:45 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

I tend to agree with the others. I believe it’s highly unlikely for Porsche to increase the horsepower to 500. I would look more towards the GT3 vs GT3 RS model. Slight increase in power, lighter car (more carbon fiber), and a more track focused suspension.

Having said, in these uncertain times, one never knows what the manufacturer has to do to sell more cars.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:21 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sobiloff
500HP in the 718 would be very impressive, but not worth paying for (IMHO) unless there are very significant suspension and aero upgrades. FAL would be crucial, and RAS would be very, very nice to have. (Can you imagine what a razor a 718 would be with RAS?) Let's hope the C&D article is more than mere speculation.
Absolutely agree...somewhat. I can do without RAS in a mid-engine platform if they will just give us the legit multi-link suspension in the rear!

Okay okay...dream GT4 RS:
- real deal rear suspension (multi-link)
- FAL
- less than 3000 lbs
- mo powa baby! please please 500 HP
- carbon fiber everywhere
- actual RS wing
- more aggressive aero for sure
- PDK-S (drool)
- all the other RS accoutraments
- Weissach Package
- I'll also take the extra air from the rear windows like the new CS!

What else am I missing?
sobiloff (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 02:55 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Apollo Falcon
Absolutely agree...somewhat. I can do without RAS in a mid-engine platform if they will just give us the legit multi-link suspension in the rear!

Okay okay...dream GT4 RS:
- real deal rear suspension (multi-link)
- FAL
- less than 3000 lbs
- mo powa baby! please please 500 HP
- carbon fiber everywhere
- actual RS wing
- more aggressive aero for sure
- PDK-S (drool)
- all the other RS accoutraments
- Weissach Package
- I'll also take the extra air from the rear windows like the new CS!

What else am I missing?
torque
Old 04-10-2020, 05:17 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Why would you need more torque when the PDK shifts back into the power-band so instantly?
Old 04-10-2020, 06:00 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
Why would you need more torque when the PDK shifts back into the power-band so instantly?
Because the shape of the torque curve defines the absolute amount of power you have to deploy on a run through to the redline - thus a modest bump in torque across the torque curve can yield far better returns than mere peak power alone. Add to that shorter gearing (simply by using a different diff) allows that torque to be multiplied more effectively and ultimately transferred to the contact patch where it really counts. GT division cars are usually effectively shorter geared than their non-GT counter parts. I would expect to see this deployed on the GT4RS (as it is on the GT3RS). A nudge in engine torque and a shorter diff ratio. Thus more total torque......
The following 3 users liked this post by groundhog:
2slow2speed (04-10-2020), JPMD (04-10-2020), Yellow Submarine (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:50 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Because the shape of the torque curve defines the absolute amount of power you have to deploy on a run through to the redline - thus a modest bump in torque across the torque curve can yield far better returns than mere peak power alone. Add to that shorter gearing (simply by using a different diff) allows that torque to be multiplied more effectively and ultimately transferred to the contact patch where it really counts. GT division cars are usually effectively shorter geared than their non-GT counter parts. I would expect to see this deployed on the GT4RS (as it is on the GT3RS). A nudge in engine torque and a shorter diff ratio. Thus more total torque......
I think perhaps a RWHP and RWTQ dyno chart from our 4.5L GT4 would pretty much describe what you are talking about.

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
The following 3 users liked this post by Rick DeMan:
Apollo Falcon (04-10-2020), sobiloff (04-10-2020), usrodeo4 (04-14-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS