Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:11 AM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Apollo Falcon
IMO the RS would only come in PDK, hopefully PDK-S. Based on AP and the GT department comments, the RS moniker is for a track scalpel and built to shave any time possible. In this regard, the MT doesn't make sense in a GT4 RS, especially since some GT4 owners may be pissed (maybe). This way if you are a GT4 owner you can feel good because if you are a die-hard MT driver, there is no other better current mid-engine Porsche with a MT. For me, I have my 911 Carrera T in the garage, so the only thing that excites me right now is this GT4 RS if it has the right rear suspension and PDK-S. For me, I'd rather keep my 911 on the street and this potential GT4 RS for the track and hill country.

The Spyder though is a super special car. If I didn't have a T, I'd probably have a different combo garage. For example, the Spyder for my daily and a 991.2 GT3 (or 3RS) for track. But I'm in love with the T and don't want two 911s (just me).
Totally get that 100%. If I could make it happen 2 caymans for me would be amazing Sypder and GT4RS, but not in the cards to have 2 extra cars (or maybe I should sell some watches). I have a Sypder lined up for end to this year but just the looks and the thought that this RS could be the last of non hybrid/hyper caymans to be made just makes it extra special. But yes no point to have a MT just would not make sense.
The following users liked this post:
Apollo Falcon (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 12:38 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tthellott T
Not sure if this is just me, but if Porsche put the engine of GT3 4.0 in GT4RS with all the light-weight stuff, I'm actually willing to pay equivalent or more money than GT3.

Exactly why they will not do it.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,702 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
Exactly why they will not do it.
And I suspect why it didn't find its way into the SPYDER/GT4...
Old 04-19-2020, 01:31 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothengineer
Totally get that 100%. If I could make it happen 2 caymans for me would be amazing Sypder and GT4RS, but not in the cards to have 2 extra cars (or maybe I should sell some watches). I have a Sypder lined up for end to this year but just the looks and the thought that this RS could be the last of non hybrid/hyper caymans to be made just makes it extra special. But yes no point to have a MT just would not make sense.
Had the same thought process. My Spyder is inbound (July delivery) and I have a PDK 991.2 GT3 in the garage. Was toying with GT4RS to replace the GT3, but unless it has significant AWESOMENESS about it, will just wait for the 992 GT3 instead.

Also agree RE: having both in manual. PDK is incredible. Will never be without a manual car, but always want a PDK as well...best to have them both side by side.
The following 3 users liked this post by JAhmed:
Apollo Falcon (04-19-2020), JSF101 (04-19-2020), Toothengineer (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:20 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 572 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by tthellott T
Not sure if this is just me, but if Porsche put the engine of GT3 4.0 in GT4RS with all the light-weight stuff, I'm actually willing to pay equivalent or more money than GT3.
As long as it has a 6MT option, I would also pay GT3 money for it.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:09 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
(1) Agreed - the 4RS must have multilink rear suspension - the current GT4 high speed ride over rough pavement doesn't cut it now and wont cut it in the future
(2) Agreed the 4RS will need shorter gearing and electronically controlled torque vectoring
(3) Disagree with the GT3 GT3RS analogy - the RS is very different and drives very differently to the GT3 - pretty much everything is different (list off the top of my head - body different RS at least one inch wider, more HP, more torque across the curve, higher peak HP and higher HP across the driveable curve, shorter gearing - final ratio 4.188:1, wider front track by nearly 4cm, wider rear track by about .5 cm, front fenders and frunk lid are carbon fibre, naca ducts for aero and brake cooling, magnesium roof, gorilla glass, different front facia and spliter, vents in fender to lower pressure, larger rear wing - in fact total aero delivers twice the down force of the GT3, larger wheels and tires, suspension fully rose jointed, light springs on front with helper springs (spring rates front and rear significantly different, anti roll bar rates significantly different), magnesium wheels etc). The RS doesn't drive like a GT3 and at the limit its clearly in a different league
I admit that my RS comparison wasn't completely on point, but you exaggerate the differences between an RS and a GT3. (Most RS owners do.....)

They have very similar times at many tracks. Yes, the RS has slightly more power, but only 7 more ft lbs. The .2 GT3 and .2 RS weigh the same because that bigger body from the Turbo weighs more, and even with all the fancy weight loss bits, the cars weigh basically the same unless you opt for the WP, which is $$$ for modest weight loss. (BTW, I am comparing the weight of the base .2 GT3 to the base .2 RS before any additional options are selected such as WP) Gearing difference are largely a function of the 21in rear wheel, otherwise both cars are geared the same.
The main differences between the .2 GT3 and .2 RS are 1,2,3 aero, which is twice as much for the RS, 4, I did neglect to previously mention that the .2 RS does have a slightly wider track due to the 991 Turbo body, 5, the .2 RS has a stiffer suspension relative to the .2 GT3. (in contrast to the .1 RS which had a suspension much closer to the .1 GT3)

But overall, the performance gap between the GT3 and the RS just isn't that big at most tracks. I hope there is a bigger gap between the GT4 and the GT4RS
Old 04-21-2020, 11:36 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I admit that my RS comparison wasn't completely on point, but you exaggerate the differences between an RS and a GT3. (Most RS owners do.....)

They have very similar times at many tracks. Yes, the RS has slightly more power, but only 7 more ft lbs. The .2 GT3 and .2 RS weigh the same because that bigger body from the Turbo weighs more, and even with all the fancy weight loss bits, the cars weigh basically the same unless you opt for the WP, which is $$$ for modest weight loss. (BTW, I am comparing the weight of the base .2 GT3 to the base .2 RS before any additional options are selected such as WP) Gearing difference are largely a function of the 21in rear wheel, otherwise both cars are geared the same.
The main differences between the .2 GT3 and .2 RS are 1,2,3 aero, which is twice as much for the RS, 4, I did neglect to previously mention that the .2 RS does have a slightly wider track due to the 991 Turbo body, 5, the .2 RS has a stiffer suspension relative to the .2 GT3. (in contrast to the .1 RS which had a suspension much closer to the .1 GT3)

But overall, the performance gap between the GT3 and the RS just isn't that big at most tracks. I hope there is a bigger gap between the GT4 and the GT4RS
I don't know how listing the differences is exaggerating them - they are just the differences Most RS owners will tell you the same thing and that is the RS feels very different to the GT3 - its a much more dialled in car, its not a subtle difference Track times, my car was purchased as a base car for m'sport. I have found it to be around 2-3s per minute - minute thirty quicker than the GT3 and much more stable at the limit particularly on rougher pavement and especially through fast high speed transitions.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:42 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know how listing the differences is exaggerating them - they are just the differences Most RS owners will tell you the same thing and that is the RS feels very different to the GT3 - its a much more dialled in car, its not a subtle difference Track times, my car was purchased as a base car for m'sport. I have found it to be around 2-3s per minute - minute thirty quicker than the GT3 and much more stable at the limit particularly on rougher pavement and especially through fast high speed transitions.
No dog in this debate if you will, but I must admit the number of GT3 owners I know who summarily upgraded to a GT3RS shortly after is surprising given how close they seem to be on paper. I ask them the reason, and @groundhog comments is what they parrot back to me, but hey who knows maybe they just want the latest and greatest...
Old 04-21-2020, 11:53 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

If they put the speedster engine in the GT4RS and assuming it has " RS aero " it should do around 7 mins at the ring with a Porsche factory driver ,maybe even under 7...

Said otherwise it will likely be faster than a 991 .2 GT 3. Less weight, better aero, better dynamics ,equivalent power . Only question mark would be rear suspension.

Porsche should do it as a swan song to the platform given the future but it will be a difficult and uncharacteristic move for them.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:53 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Flacht6MT
No dog in this debate if you will, but I must admit the number of GT3 owners I know who summarily upgraded to a GT3RS shortly after is surprising given how close they seem to be on paper. I ask them the reason, and @groundhog comments is what they parrot back to me, but hey who knows maybe they just want the latest and greatest...
There are probably elements of that for some, however, I (and many others) found the differences to be quite clear cut - the RS has a physicality that the GT3 doesn't seem to have - I don't think that should that be a surprise given they have different design briefs and intents. I vaguely remember a quote from AP, something along lines of the RS had 1000 changes from the GT3 - I will see if I can find the actual quote.

At the end of the day, I think most are hoping that Porsche deliver a genuine GT4 RS and yet most of us doubt (sadly) they will do it. Time will tell .

Last edited by groundhog; 04-22-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:07 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,303 Posts

When will the damn GT4RS be released?
Old 04-22-2020, 10:32 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
When will the damn GT4RS be released?
I predict after the gt4 run is complete. So late 2021/ early 2022.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:23 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There are probably elements of that for some, however, I (and many others) found the differences to be quite clear cut - the RS has a physicality that the GT3 doesn't seem to have - I don't think that should that be a surprise given they have different design briefs and intents. I vaguely remember a quote from AP, something along lines of the RS had 1000 changes from the GT3 - I will see if I can find the actual quote.

At the end of the day, I think most are hoping that Porsche deliver a genuine GT4 RS and yet most of us doubt (sadly) they will do it. Time will tell .
That would make an excellent lockdown quiz: name as many of the 1,000 changes as you can between the GT3 and RS.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

With 200 991 gt3/rs cars listed for sale just from dealers on porscheusa.com who needs a gt4rs at $140k+ and for what use? Mid-engine is great on back-roads at 5-8/10 but probably inferior to any gt3/rs at 10/10 at the track.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Interesting new pic. Std GT4 wing but has the air inlets in the side windows.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS