Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 05:32 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Apollo Falcon
I am coming into this as a MT 911T owner (which I love), never having driven a GT4 (drove a base 4 banger Cayman as a loaner and was unimpressed).
If you have a manual T with RAS don't you ever let it go!!!

Unless it also has PCCBs. Then sell it to me.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:50 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I think what Grant is saying is that once you get to 90-95% on a track, the Rear engine with the superior rear suspension will have an advantage.....what happens is that until you get to that point the mid-engine is a joy to drive (well balance, with good predictable handling) but once you cross that threshold things get interesting and you really have to finesse the car....but still the rear engine 911 will pull better out of turns and have less weight transfer under heavy threshold braking.
Indeed. Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes all I can envision is AX.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:33 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
If you have a manual T with RAS don't you ever let it go!!!

Unless it also has PCCBs. Then sell it to me.
Yup MT + RAS but "basic" brakes. Read an article from Road & Track where August Achletiner said how he had his T with a MT and the only option of "navigation and sunroof". So I have the metal sunroof and love it. It's the best DD ever for me. Those T peeps are brutal about "proper spec" without the sunroof but its not a track car so for me as long as it has MT + RAS there is no issue. Anyway I digress...

Somehow I got myself into tracking my buddies cars and also maybe now I'm addicted to Porsche (maybe little aliquots of crack come off of the Alcantara every time I drive or something) so now I'm itching for this possible GT4RS for weekend/track. The idea of it really excites me despite never driving a GT4. Kind of why I'm eagerly spending a lot of time in the 718 GT4/Spyder forum instead of my usual 911T safe space lol.

I am hoping that everyone at Porsche says f*** it and allows the GT department to unleash everything on this platform before it goes all electric and the ICE bites the dust.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:05 AM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Quick question for the GT4 aficionados...why do they cover the engine? I'd figure in a GT or more track focused car you'd want to smell, hear and see that beautiful engine. Thats the one thing that really gets me about modern Porsche sports cars, can't even look at the engine. In a dream land far far away if Porsche so happened to put some Gorilla Glass over the engine in a GT4RS or something like that so I can see it...OMG!
Old 02-26-2020, 12:17 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

So I have the metal sunroof and love it. It's the best DD ever for me. Those T peeps are brutal about "proper spec" without the sunroof but its not a track car so for me as long as it has MT + RAS there is no issue. Anyway I digress...
Yeah, a lot of T lovers are just as nutty as the T haters.

While I would not have passed on a T without a sunroof it was definitely a plus in my book. The main reason being windows down with no sunroof produces ear-shattering buffeting. Especially at triple digit speeds. Crack the sunroof and there is no buffeting. Plus in daily driving leaving the sunroof cracked lets you hear the turbos spin up, which I love.

My 991.2 has the glass sunroof. It's the only vehicle I've ever owned with a sunroof I leave exposed all the time. The 911 cabin is already comfortably spacious, but the extra light let in by the clear sunroof opens it up even more.
The following users liked this post:
Apollo Falcon (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 12:25 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

had 997 gt3 with sunroof and was one of top things i liked about it. wouldnt want one without it. and im a track instructor who used it about 40 for hpde while i owned it. have lotus elise now for same purpose and love having roof off on track.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:36 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 311 Posts

Quick question for the GT4 aficionados...why do they cover the engine? I'd figure in a GT or more track focused car you'd want to smell, hear and see that beautiful engine. Thats the one thing that really gets me about modern Porsche sports cars, can't even look at the engine. In a dream land far far away if Porsche so happened to put some Gorilla Glass over the engine in a GT4RS or something like that so I can see it...OMG!
I think they cover it because they don't decorate the engine to make it beautiful to look at. For the 981, there was an aftermarket plexiglass option to see the motor, but being aftermarket it had its own problems with noise and heat.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:23 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
I think they cover it because they don't decorate the engine to make it beautiful to look at. For the 981, there was an aftermarket plexiglass option to see the motor, but being aftermarket it had its own problems with noise and heat.
Agree with this. I saw the clear cover on a 987 Cayman and it was... underwhelming.

I think the exposed engine of the C8 is kinda hideous. Much prefer the C8 convertible, which hides the engine.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:26 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Just heard that Porsche GB expects the GT4 RS this year. Do they have real information or are they just planning for the possibility?
Old 02-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

The engine cover is to hide the hybrid electric motor that they will be putting in there in the near future. They will pipe in some fake flat 6 sounds so you won't know the difference.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:20 PM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riz
The engine cover is to hide the hybrid electric motor that they will be putting in there in the near future. They will pipe in some fake flat 6 sounds so you won't know the difference.
Appreciate the cynicism but I highly doubt this current model RS release will be hybrid given the new 4.0 in the GT4/Spyder/GTS plus inability (apparently) to fit any other motor/turbos. However, I wouldn't care if it was because MO' POWA BABY.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:43 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Am I the only one that would LOVE a hybrid? Small battery combined with NA flat 6. Like a mini 918. Would give it that punchiness off the line that NA engines are missing while still keeping that nice linear feel and NA sound.
sobiloff (02-28-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 05:04 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
Am I the only one that would LOVE a hybrid? Small battery combined with NA flat 6. Like a mini 918. Would give it that punchiness off the line that NA engines are missing while still keeping that nice linear feel and NA sound.
Sure if they did it like a 918, dual motors up front and a decent sized battery so I don't get spanked too hard by a Nissan Leaf!

Seriously, all wheel drive with EV boost, heck I could even drive in the EV lanes around town...
Old 02-28-2020, 06:53 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

So it sounds like the Geneva car show is cancelled...so the question is when will they announce the GT4RS?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't think the GT4RS is coming out until late in the year. It would be the 911 turbo next.

"Stuttgart. Porsche is launching into the 2020 automotive calendar with a spectacular innovation: As the 90th Geneva International Motor Show (GIMS) has been cancelled, the sports car manufacturer will showcase the new range-topper of the 911 series for unprecedented power, driving dynamics and comfort with a live stream premiere.

The presentation will take place on 3 March at 10:10 a.m. (CET). The event will be hosted by former Formula 1 driver and Porsche brand ambassador Mark Webber and screened live in English and Chinese: NewsTV.porsche.com"
The following 2 users liked this post by Loess:
GeoJoe (02-28-2020), Oliver911 (03-26-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS