Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 04:21 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by eshney
What do you have on order and it is a large ADM?
GTS - MSRP
The following 2 users liked this post by sinking:
Charles Everson (06-16-2022), eshney (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 04:26 PM
eshney
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sinking
GTS - MSRP
I think you're in a good position. I am paying a $5,000 ADM for my GTS
Old 06-16-2022, 04:27 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

I'm in tech and my company is run like a tech company. My company isn't going anywhere, but I think layoffs will have to happen (not due to any non-public information). I don't think my department would be first hit and I don't think I would even be first on the block for my team since I've built myself such a niche, but I don't like to get cocky and complacent. I've had the same thought as you that I would set myself up to buy the car no matter what then just sell it if I need to. This is working off the assumption that many here have that the market for these cars will remain strong. Whenever I hear anything that resembles "this time it's different" I know I shouldn't be too optimistic. Locally what I've been seeing in the housing market shows how quickly things can change. My town was EXTREMELY hot. Then just a few weeks ago demand seemed to drop off a cliff to nothing. Open houses from ten groups at a time, endless stream to ZERO visitors. Multiple offers hundreds of thousands over to no one even looking at houses. I knew the prices of the time wouldn't last but I expected it to be more gradual like multiple offers over asking > offer at asking > offers under asking before it got to zero interest, but I guess this will happen when mortgage rates increase 3-4 percentage points in the matter of 5 months.

yeah I definitely see that. luckily the car market is a bit different than the housing market in that regard. Even if the market does soften or slow for these cars, they will still command a premium. And for me, even if I lose 10-20k on it, well that's just what it cost for me to own my dream car for a few months at least.

I think when it comes to cars, interest increasing isn't as big of a deal. The difference between 4-7% is only a few thousand dollars depending on your loan amount. Compared to a 1 million dollar house, every 0.5% is another 50,000$ basically.

That being said, I think the thing you want to really think about is what this car means to you. Is this a dream goal of yours? Or just something fun you want to try and own for a little before moving on? For me this is one of my life's goals. I don't have typical life goals like owning a house (even though I have one) or starting a family. Because those things aren't really that important to me. For me, buying a high end sports car that basically comes perfect from the factory is something I've been dreaming of ever since I was a little kid. I remember walking home from middle school one day and seeing a Porsche 911 Turbo and just thinking that was peak sports car. Ever since then the idea of my perfect sports car has evolved in my mind and the goal has always been to buy what I believed was peak sports car from Porsche and so here we are today.

I'd say if this was just something fun you hope you can have with no plans to really k eep it long term. Maybe hold off for now until the market cools? (if it ever does). There are also some great alternatives that won't break the bank like a Porsche does.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
eshney (06-16-2022), ronbauer (06-17-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 04:28 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

GTS - MSRP
I made a long post about my thoughts, but honestly I'd keep it. Most people are paying ADM for a GTS. So you could easily sell the car for MSRP if you needed to and get all your money back. I Myself am paying 20k ADM for a GT4.
The following users liked this post:
eshney (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 04:38 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xxyion
yeah I definitely see that. luckily the car market is a bit different than the housing market in that regard. Even if the market does soften or slow for these cars, they will still command a premium. And for me, even if I lose 10-20k on it, well that's just what it cost for me to own my dream car for a few months at least.

I think when it comes to cars, interest increasing isn't as big of a deal. The difference between 4-7% is only a few thousand dollars depending on your loan amount. Compared to a 1 million dollar house, every 0.5% is another 50,000$ basically.

That being said, I think the thing you want to really think about is what this car means to you. Is this a dream goal of yours? Or just something fun you want to try and own for a little before moving on? For me this is one of my life's goals. I don't have typical life goals like owning a house (even though I have one) or starting a family. Because those things aren't really that important to me. For me, buying a high end sports car that basically comes perfect from the factory is something I've been dreaming of ever since I was a little kid. I remember walking home from middle school one day and seeing a Porsche 911 Turbo and just thinking that was peak sports car. Ever since then the idea of my perfect sports car has evolved in my mind and the goal has always been to buy what I believed was peak sports car from Porsche and so here we are today.

I'd say if this was just something fun you hope you can have with no plans to really k eep it long term. Maybe hold off for now until the market cools? (if it ever does). There are also some great alternatives that won't break the bank like a Porsche does.
I think our goals are pretty similar. I've had several nice cars over the years. I own a Gallardo LP550-2 now that isn't going anywhere. However, all were bought used with some kind of compromise. I'm going for getting the GTS because with the direction the industry is going it is likely the last car I will actually be excited to buy new, exactly to my spec, and without buying someone elses problems I have to deal with right away. As we all know the pool of cars with mid engine, manual transmission, >= 6 cylinders is very small so once this goes out of production there's not much for me to really get excited about in the new car realm. For that reason I will 95% stick with my order. I just think it's always a good idea to re-evaluate when conditions change.
eshney (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 05:45 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 719 Likes on 252 Posts

0.5% does not equal $50k on a $1M mortgage in either the annual amount or over the life of a 30 year loan
Old 06-16-2022, 07:02 PM
RxVol
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder Bite
0.5% does not equal $50k on a $1M mortgage in either the annual amount or over the life of a 30 year loan
Over the life of a 30 year loan, its more than $50k:

total interest on $1 Million over 30 years:
@ 4% = $718,695.06
@4.5% = $824,067.12 (+ $105, 372.06)
@5% = $932,557.84 (+ $108.490.72)
@5.5% = $1,044,040.40 (+$111,482.56)

Last edited by RxVol; 06-16-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Charles Everson (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 07:04 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

the point was that its a lot of money lol. I didn't bother to do the math because I didn't think the actual number mattered that much, but shows what I know haha
Old 06-16-2022, 07:40 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

the point was that its a lot of money lol. I didn't bother to do the math because I didn't think the actual number mattered that much, but shows what I know haha
On the internet someone is always waiting to tell you you're wrong.
Chonson (06-17-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 07:52 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

On the internet someone is always waiting to tell you you're wrong.
No, they're not!

(sorry, couldn't resist )
The following 7 users liked this post by Adrift:
Chonson (06-17-2022), ngamountains (06-16-2022), sinking (06-16-2022), SmallCapTrader (06-16-2022), welikethetrack (06-16-2022), X2Board (06-17-2022), yellolab (06-16-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-17-2022, 06:28 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 164 Posts

@sinking , well written on your thought process and overall conservative thinking. Clearly you realize the 'car buy' is a luxury AND you want to continue to sleep soundly at night.

Based on what you shared, I also agree that you should keep your order. For peace-of-mind, you may want to take yourself through these two additional 'checks':
  • If there are ANY signs of 'work trouble' when your car arrives, think about borrowing a little more money (place a smaller down payment) and/or extend the term of the loan. (Once things smooth out, you make additional payments and work to retire the debt.)
  • What other quick 'side work' could you get and would you be willing to do it for 6-12 months? If you are the type that is willing to 'double-time' it when the going gets tough, give yourself permission to keep your order.
As others write, YMMV. And I wish you the best in your decision.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:18 AM
eadingleberry
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm in tech and my company is run like a tech company. My company isn't going anywhere, but I think layoffs will have to happen (not due to any non-public information). I don't think my department would be first hit and I don't think I would even be first on the block for my team since I've built myself such a niche, but I don't like to get cocky and complacent. I've had the same thought as you that I would set myself up to buy the car no matter what then just sell it if I need to. This is working off the assumption that many here have that the market for these cars will remain strong. Whenever I hear anything that resembles "this time it's different" I know I shouldn't be too optimistic. Locally what I've been seeing in the housing market shows how quickly things can change. My town was EXTREMELY hot. Then just a few weeks ago demand seemed to drop off a cliff to nothing. Open houses from ten groups at a time, endless stream to ZERO visitors. Multiple offers hundreds of thousands over to no one even looking at houses. I knew the prices of the time wouldn't last but I expected it to be more gradual like multiple offers over asking > offer at asking > offers under asking before it got to zero interest, but I guess this will happen when mortgage rates increase 3-4 percentage points in the matter of 5 months.
Well. Austin housing has doubled in value in the last 24 months and pricing hasn't adjusted, yet. It is, by almost any definition, a bubble. Dont let that put you off a GTS at MSRP.

There is still probably a lot of "hopium" in this thread on the future direction of NA 718 values. The pandemic and chips and wiring loom stuff has really thrown things out of loop. That, and too much time looking at sold 993s on BAT. If you're buying something brand new with the express assumption of never losing money on it in the medium-long term, it probably isn't going to work out. That was not the prevailing thought when people were buying those 993s.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:19 PM
mbr129
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eadingleberry
There is still probably a lot of "hopium" in this thread on the future direction of NA 718 values. The pandemic and chips and wiring loom stuff has really thrown things out of loop. That, and too much time looking at sold 993s on BAT. If you're buying something brand new with the express assumption of never losing money on it in the medium-long term, it probably isn't going to work out. That was not the prevailing thought when people were buying those 993s.
Agreed. I am "2nd in line" at a decent-sized dealer for a BGTS. I have hope that a silver lining to the market crash we are seeing is that I will get an allocation at all before end of production, and if I'm lucky, maybe I'll get it at MSRP by the time it happens.

I do believe these cars will hold their value well in the way 987 Spyders always did. But the idea that one can bank on always selling at or over MSRP no matter what is optimistic. If someone feels the pinch due to the economy and needs to sell, they will not be alone. And in that environment there will be far fewer buyers looking to buy those cars at all, never mind at MSRP or over. It's fair to assume you will get most of your money back on these no matter what, but if the thought of losing 10% or more because you need to sell it in a bad economy scares you, then I'd be worried.

Last edited by mbr129; 06-18-2022 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:13 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

I came here because I'm excited that an allocation fell into my lap yesterday for an August delivery... Interesting how the thread has sort of devolved to value/risk discussions, but it's a good conversation nonetheless, and I feel that I have another interesting perspective to contribute.

I was in a similar situation with a 992 GTS. Things were going great in November when I placed a deposit... but a few months later and the looming threat of a $160k expense in a volatile market scenario plus some personal issues like two teenage new drivers + college expenses had me spooked. I considered just taking delivery anyway knowing that the market was hot enough I could probably MAKE money off a 992 GTS I would have gotten at MSRP... but I decided instead to just channel my energy into hitting the reset button and waiting for the car that was the much better fit- a 718 BGTS 4.0. Rather than play the speculation game and try to take delivery and drive a 992 for a few months just to jump through hoops in an attempt to flip it, I let go of my V200 allocation for the 992 with a few weeks left before it locked (and even got my deposit back because my dealer is GREAT to local market customers), but stayed in line for the 718. Estimated wait for delivery was 15-18 months. I wasn't thrilled with that wait but was prepared to deal with it. I was even a bit concerned that I might not actually get a car and started scouring used cars, which are still fetching way higher than MSRP prices.

As it turns out, a few weeks after handing over my 992 allocation, I received a text from my SA yesterday that a 718 allocation was available and locks in less than 3 weeks. The delivery is in August; around the same time I would have gotten the 992. I can easily afford the 718; a 992 would have been a stretch. The 992 unequivocally is a more desirable car- but I guarantee I will enjoy this 718 more because I can easily afford it.

IMHO, it's not worth the stress factor if you have to stretch to cover the costs of a car. The experience will always be compromised. In my case I am far better off choosing a car well within my comfort level, and I have been on cloud nine since yesterday. I never felt this way with the 992; in fact I felt relief when I gave up the allocation.

So carrying through to this scenario of potentially keeping an existing GTS 4.0 allocation, maybe that energy is better spent on a Supra, new Z, or M2 Competition, to name a few examples of awesome cars in a lower price bracket that may lead to a better enjoyment vs. stress ratio. My .02, take it or leave it.
The following 5 users liked this post by manifold danger:
CatVaux (06-19-2022), cybers3c (06-18-2022), eshney (06-20-2022), JBM718GTS (06-18-2022), josephr25 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 04:26 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I came here because I'm excited that an allocation fell into my lap yesterday for an August delivery... Interesting how the thread has sort of devolved to value/risk discussions, but it's a good conversation nonetheless, and I feel that I have another interesting perspective to contribute.

I was in a similar situation with a 992 GTS. Things were going great in November when I placed a deposit... but a few months later and the looming threat of a $160k expense in a volatile market scenario plus some personal issues like two teenage new drivers + college expenses had me spooked. I considered just taking delivery anyway knowing that the market was hot enough I could probably MAKE money off a 992 GTS I would have gotten at MSRP... but I decided instead to just channel my energy into hitting the reset button and waiting for the car that was the much better fit- a 718 BGTS 4.0. Rather than play the speculation game and try to take delivery and drive a 992 for a few months just to jump through hoops in an attempt to flip it, I let go of my V200 allocation for the 992 with a few weeks left before it locked (and even got my deposit back because my dealer is GREAT to local market customers), but stayed in line for the 718. Estimated wait for delivery was 15-18 months. I wasn't thrilled with that wait but was prepared to deal with it. I was even a bit concerned that I might not actually get a car and started scouring used cars, which are still fetching way higher than MSRP prices.

As it turns out, a few weeks after handing over my 992 allocation, I received a text from my SA yesterday that a 718 allocation was available and locks in less than 3 weeks. The delivery is in August; around the same time I would have gotten the 992. I can easily afford the 718; a 992 would have been a stretch. The 992 unequivocally is a more desirable car- but I guarantee I will enjoy this 718 more because I can easily afford it.

IMHO, it's not worth the stress factor if you have to stretch to cover the costs of a car. The experience will always be compromised. In my case I am far better off choosing a car well within my comfort level, and I have been on cloud nine since yesterday. I never felt this way with the 992; in fact I felt relief when I gave up the allocation.

So carrying through to this scenario of potentially keeping an existing GTS 4.0 allocation, maybe that energy is better spent on a Supra, new Z, or M2 Competition, to name a few examples of awesome cars in a lower price bracket that may lead to a better enjoyment vs. stress ratio. My .02, take it or leave it.
Congrats on landing the allocation! Seems like everything worked out for you in the end.

Maybe just my personal opinion (and possibly the opinion of others surfing the 718 GT4/Spyder/GTS 4.0 forums), but I don't think the 992 is a more desirable car by any means. The mid engine, NA 4.0 platform is truly amazing and is by no means a "step down" from a 992 in my eyes.

Again, congrats on the allocation and enjoy the car when it arrives!
The following 5 users liked this post by rusmani:
Baggerdude (06-18-2022), bpeacock (06-18-2022), CatVaux (06-19-2022), Chonson (06-18-2022), patdonahue (06-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker