Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 10:24 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I’m sure the two items you mention above are the most important, but the demand order must play a role at some level, otherwise why would they even have the process in place?
Supply chain planning.

I suspect most of the US almost 200 dealers have multiple demand orders in for 992/982 GT cars.

Even with a demand order the dealer still has to place one of their allocations against it.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:34 PM
F1-DNA
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

I’m curious how many people on all waitlists actually still want a car. The waitlists filled up before the economy started to shutter. Just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
welikethetrack (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 10:54 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-DNA
I’m curious how many people on all waitlists actually still want a car. The waitlists filled up before the economy started to shutter. Just a thought.
Just my opinion, but I would say that demand is still going to outweigh supply by a fair amount, even in the face of a potential economic decline. There are still plenty of people with money.

It was a good sign that Porsche continued the 4.0 cars for 2023, but it doesn't look like a ton of allocations have come out thus far. We'll see how things look with the next wave of allocations, which will probably be in the next 30-45 days if I had to guess. Maybe if you call a ton of dealers around your area now and express interest, you may get lucky and catch a dealer with a waitlist that thinned out for whatever reason (economic downturn, clients opted for other cars, etc). Even then, it's probably a bit of a stretch that they'll offer you the car at MSRP. They will likely: 1) seek some sort of ADM from you, 2) offer the car to a list of existing clients to continue building that relationship, or 3) spec the car themselves and take the chance to sell it over MSRP on their lot.

Not to compare the 981 vs 718, but the 981 GT4 that just sold on BAT for 19k over MSRP + 5k BAT fee (so 24k over MSRP total) probably suggests that there are still plenty of people out there that will pony up cash for these rare and special cars.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:21 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 358 Likes on 167 Posts

Thank you for the responses. And yes, I was asking about 'a fresh round' of allocations forthcoming.

It was new information to me that demand orders don't drive the (allocation) bus.

I'm also not a guy looking to gum-up lists by calling every dealer possible. I have a relationship with two dealers, both know I have interest in several variants of the Cayman.
bpeacock (06-15-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 02:35 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

With the direction the economy is headed it has me reconsidering if I should be buying this car. I am positioning myself well for it should I lose my job immediately after purchase, but still not sure if it's worth the risk. That is not the question for the community, though.

In weighing my options I'm looking at my purchase agreement. It states "deposit is refundable before order is placed". Does anyone know what "order" typically means? In my case I have an allocation, my build is in, but I don't lock until September. So is my order placed because Porsche knows about it or is it placed when I lock?

To get ahead of anyone who will tell me to just ask the dealer, since there is only a tiny chance I would walk away I don't want the dealer just moving on to the next person because they think I have cold feet just because I'm weighing options.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:51 PM
JDWight
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sinking
With the direction the economy is headed it has me reconsidering if I should be buying this car. I am positioning myself well for it should I lose my job immediately after purchase, but still not sure if it's worth the risk. That is not the question for the community, though.

In weighing my options I'm looking at my purchase agreement. It states "deposit is refundable before order is placed". Does anyone know what "order" typically means? In my case I have an allocation, my build is in, but I don't lock until September. So is my order placed because Porsche knows about it or is it placed when I lock?

To get ahead of anyone who will tell me to just ask the dealer, since there is only a tiny chance I would walk away I don't want the dealer just moving on to the next person because they think I have cold feet just because I'm weighing options.
Paperwork I signed for a demand order even said "non-refundable." Still got my deposit back with no questions asked when I got an allocation elsewhere, since the car/spec had not locked. Pretty sure it's the same everywhere. YMMV
Old 06-16-2022, 02:59 PM
Thefullsend
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SmallCapTrader
Any softening in ADMs with the markets pulling back?
I’ve not seen any softening as Porsche is just not producing in large numbers. Sports cars, especially GTs will be in very short demand as there are way less than even the low expectation.

Taycans and Panameras are nearly non existent too.

Plenty of base Macans and base Cayennes but beyond those it’s very tight.

Also the price increases are far higher than normal for 2023. Might even be the same increases for 2024.

Last edited by Thefullsend; 06-16-2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:11 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Only you dealer truly can interpret what is meant by that contractual term.

However, I’d say lock date. With that being said you should terminate as early as possible to allow the dealer to fully market and give the next guy a comfortable margin for decisions.
Bearrun21 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 03:20 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 842 Posts

Are you paying a large ADM markup such as 75k+? Then yes maybe reconsider but if you're at MSRP or small markup I think you're well insulated getting this car.
Bearrun21 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 03:25 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I've always assumed the order to be "placed" when you go V200 and you get a commission #. Before that, you're just in line with everyone else. After that, you have a car coming. Seems like a reasonable definition. I guess you could say lock date, since Porsche has committed to building a specific car (not just A car), but V200 is when Porsche has committed to getting you a car.

Last edited by Adrift; 06-16-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:43 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

I'd also check your receipt for the downpayment. Mine specifically said it was non-refundable and this deposit was placed as soon as I secured my allocation.

That being said I do kind of have the same fear as you. I know I won't be losing my job but the raising interest rates and gas prices has a small part in the back of my mind considering if this is something I should even do. The conclusion I've come to is that I should still take delivery of the car. Even if I can't afford it by the time I get it (for a variety of reasons), I know I could immediately resell it and get my money back based on the market. That's my justification.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:56 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 288 Posts

I bought my car in the middle of mass layoffs haha
Old 06-16-2022, 03:58 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Man I really hope I get a GT4RS allocation.
welikethetrack (06-17-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 04:01 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I'd also check your receipt for the downpayment. Mine specifically said it was non-refundable and this deposit was placed as soon as I secured my allocation.

That being said I do kind of have the same fear as you. I know I won't be losing my job but the raising interest rates and gas prices has a small part in the back of my mind considering if this is something I should even do. The conclusion I've come to is that I should still take delivery of the car. Even if I can't afford it by the time I get it (for a variety of reasons), I know I could immediately resell it and get my money back based on the market. That's my justification.
I'm in tech and my company is run like a tech company. My company isn't going anywhere, but I think layoffs will have to happen (not due to any non-public information). I don't think my department would be first hit and I don't think I would even be first on the block for my team since I've built myself such a niche, but I don't like to get cocky and complacent. I've had the same thought as you that I would set myself up to buy the car no matter what then just sell it if I need to. This is working off the assumption that many here have that the market for these cars will remain strong. Whenever I hear anything that resembles "this time it's different" I know I shouldn't be too optimistic. Locally what I've been seeing in the housing market shows how quickly things can change. My town was EXTREMELY hot. Then just a few weeks ago demand seemed to drop off a cliff to nothing. Open houses from ten groups at a time, endless stream to ZERO visitors. Multiple offers hundreds of thousands over to no one even looking at houses. I knew the prices of the time wouldn't last but I expected it to be more gradual like multiple offers over asking > offer at asking > offers under asking before it got to zero interest, but I guess this will happen when mortgage rates increase 3-4 percentage points in the matter of 5 months.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:10 PM
eshney
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in tech and my company is run like a tech company. My company isn't going anywhere, but I think layoffs will have to happen (not due to any non-public information). I don't think my department would be first hit and I don't think I would even be first on the block for my team since I've built myself such a niche, but I don't like to get cocky and complacent. I've had the same thought as you that I would set myself up to buy the car no matter what then just sell it if I need to. This is working off the assumption that many here have that the market for these cars will remain strong. Whenever I hear anything that resembles "this time it's different" I know I shouldn't be too optimistic. Locally what I've been seeing in the housing market shows how quickly things can change. My town was EXTREMELY hot. Then just a few weeks ago demand seemed to drop off a cliff to nothing. Open houses from ten groups at a time, endless stream to ZERO visitors. Multiple offers hundreds of thousands over to no one even looking at houses. I knew the prices of the time wouldn't last but I expected it to be more gradual like multiple offers over asking > offer at asking > offers under asking before it got to zero interest, but I guess this will happen when mortgage rates increase 3-4 percentage points in the matter of 5 months.
What do you have on order and it is a large ADM?

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker