Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021 | 01:54 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
I don't think there is ANY risk that the next-gen Cayman/Boxster is Electric only. Worst case it will be ICE plus an Electric option, but I doubt even that.

I had owned Tesla and other EVs from 2013-2021, sold the last Tesla to go back to ICE with the Macan and then the CGTS 4.0 here in 2021. I followed the tech and the blogs very closely. I don't think the battery tech is there yet to do a pure EV the size and weight of a 718. It would be WAY too heavy, it would need to be more so of a Grand Touring sort of 2 seater or 2+2. Keep in mind that a 2021 Tesla Model 3 weighs 4,000 pounds, and Tesla is a couple of years ahead of Porsche on battery efficiency. Porsche actually made a public statement about that in March of 2020.

I drove a Taycan 4S as a loaner as a couple of weeks, and it was FANTASTIC! I found it to be very sporty, excellent handling and a nice low driver's position, but a bit long. I would love Porsche to come out with a slightly smaller Taycan Coupe. But I don't think it would be a 718/Cayman/Boxster direct replacement, it would likely need to be significantly larger and heavier than the Cayman. I think it would just be the "Taycan Coupe". Sign me up for that one if/when it comes out, to complement my awesome CGTS 4.0!

What I *DO* think there is risk of is the next Gen GT4/Spyder/GTS 4.0 being a 4 cylinder ICE/Electric Hybrid like the Next Gen AMG C63 has been announced to be. I don't think Porsche knows this yet, I think it will depend mostly on the regulatory pressures at the time they need to decide. Perhaps their increases in pure EV sales with the Taycan, the Taycan CT and the forthcoming Macan will take some pressure off of their fleet mix as a manufacturer, and give them some breathing room to keep the 911s and 718s going with 6 cylinder engines at least through current decade?

This uncertainty of the next gen of 718 does scare me. While I am totally loving my Cayman GTS 4.0, I have been thinking recently about also getting a 2022 GT4 and keeping low miles on it, to hedge against this concern...
Although there are a few manufacturers that are embracing the electric only model such as Volvo, GM, and MINI, this won't happen for some time. As many have said, it's not going to be an on/off switch and it's not going to be the next generation. It seems that Porsche is already testing the waters by saying that they're testing new technologies to keep ICE on the road by using synthetic fuel instead of fossil fuels so this may keep the ICE alive and well.

The other possibility is Porsche keeps the ICE in the GT models going by charging a gas guzzler tax. I could have sworn that the 991 GT3 had a gas guzzler tax on the window stickers but couldn't find anything in my quick search to confirm this. I checked on the 992 GT3 and did a quick build on Porsche's website and it didn't show a gas guzzler tax so maybe the 991 gen had it and Porsche somehow avoided it for the 992 GT3.

As many have mentioned, if the 983 (or whatever it's called) generation does have a hybrid or plug in variant, I think that will stay with the base, S, and T variants. I think the GTS, GT4, and Spyder variants will stick with NA ICE for a long time to even where I think we'd be willing to pay a gas guzzler tax to avoid turbos and hybrid or plug in variants of the GT(S) models.
Old 05-27-2021 | 01:58 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

"Gas Guzzler Tax" is literally a tax - not something Porsche has control over (well, aside from raising the fuel economy of the vehicle.) It's applied, by law, to any vehicle that does not meet an EPA combined rating of 22.5 mpg.
Old 05-27-2021 | 02:16 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daaa nope
"Gas Guzzler Tax" is literally a tax - not something Porsche has control over (well, aside from raising the fuel economy of the vehicle.) It's applied, by law, to any vehicle that does not meet an EPA combined rating of 22.5 mpg.
Yup. Fully aware of what the gas guzzler tax is. My point is, Porsche continues to develop and offers a non-turbo, NA ICE in the GT models even if they don't meet emissions requirements in the next gen 983 and get hit with a gas guzzler tax on the GT models. I'm saying many people will be willing to pay the gas guzzler tax rather than have Porsche put turbos, hybrid or plug in hybrid in the GT models.
Old 05-27-2021 | 02:27 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by destro
I am waiting for my V200 on a GT4, my dealer submitted the V070 (vehicle demand request) earlier this week, any idea what is the typical wait time these days, was told 4-6 weeks. Thanks!
The demand request is just something the dealer does to let the mothership know that there is someone out there that is interested. An allocation does not have to exist to submit the DR. You do not go V200 until there is an actual allocation available. And if your dealer does not have one, there is no telling when they will get one. And if they do get one, you need to find out if you are first in line or if there are people ahead of you. Just clarifying. You may have already known this.
Old 06-02-2021 | 07:40 PM
momo360
Racer

Anyone have any leads on spyder or BGTS allocations? I'm looking to order PEC LA delivery, so location of dealer doesn't matter so much.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
dicker (06-06-2021)
Old 06-07-2021 | 05:16 PM
Guaji
Racer

I just got a call from Leah at Porsche South Bay. She told me they have a Spyder allocation for a July build.
The following 2 users liked this post by Guaji:
flynlo (06-07-2021), LnC993 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021 | 05:39 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guaji
I just got a call from Leah at Porsche South Bay. She told me they have a Spyder allocation for a July build.
Anyone else? Are June allocations hitting?
Old 06-07-2021 | 08:14 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Guaji
Somebody may have backed out!!!
Old 06-07-2021 | 08:20 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
Anyone else? Are June allocations hitting?
June/July allocations hit months ago.

Anyone now getting a June/July is a back out or a dealer deciding customer car better than a spec floor model.

Allocation date is build date.
Old 06-07-2021 | 10:12 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
June/July allocations hit months ago.

Anyone now getting a June/July is a back out or a dealer deciding customer car better than a spec floor model.

Allocation date is build date.
You’re playing word games. Obviously dealers are given the right to sell cars as Porsche makes them available. Call them whatever you want. I assume these come out monthly or some such? Feel free to clarify.
Old 06-07-2021 | 10:41 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
You’re playing word games. Obviously dealers are given the right to sell cars as Porsche makes them available. Call them whatever you want. I assume these come out monthly or some such? Feel free to clarify.
Word games?

Allocations generally hit quarterly, although it’s not that simple or regular.

Expect fall allocation dates to drop next month or so. Factory closes in August, so next available allocation dates will be Sep dates.
Adrift (06-07-2021)
Old 06-08-2021 | 12:08 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Not saying you’re wrong, but that sounds inconsistent with the way my SA has talked about the process…which was never direct and complete, to be sure. But he has referenced “allocations” which become available each month. Maybe the misunderstanding is me projecting my expectations / assumptions.
Old 06-08-2021 | 12:30 AM
Guaji
Racer

Originally Posted by flynlo
Somebody may have backed out!!!
Definitely a possibility. I thought it was odd to get the call today, since it seems the current batch of 2022 allocations for July builds came out in May.
flynlo (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021 | 12:46 AM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

I got the call for my 2020 build allocation around this time last year in the first week of June 2020. I'm not sure if they are different from a normal allocation or from a timeline perspective or not, but my SA told me that they got one last 2020 GT4 allocation that he described to me at the time as a extra bonus allocation that his dealership had received as a reward from corporate based on their recent sales performance. It almost sounded to me like it was a surprise allocation they were granted for a build at the end of the then 2020 model year run.
Old 06-08-2021 | 01:20 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Word games?

Allocations generally hit quarterly, although it’s not that simple or regular.

Expect fall allocation dates to drop next month or so. Factory closes in August, so next available allocation dates will be Sep dates.
Fall allocations dropped mid last month. I got a V200 BGTS for late July lock, late August production (probably first builds after the factory reopens), That build slot dropped to the dealer on 5/15.

Not sure about GT4 allocations, tho.

Last edited by Bartleby7334; 06-08-2021 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker