Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 04:12 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,775 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
I think it is the length of the process. It is difficult for it to be an impulse buy when you have to wait so long. But I think what happens is they start realizing how much money they are about to spend and then freak out and chicken out. Probably for a few, they might have a financial hardship in that period of time. I could understand that.
I guess everyone is different but it seems so foreign to me to buy something like this on impulse without having figured out the details before soft committing to it. I’m very much like westcoast in that I only walked into a dealer after I was 100% committed, and that was after I did the math 100x, planned for the worst case scenarios on income loss, got the wife’s ok, cross shopped alternatives, etc.

The following 3 users liked this post by Zhao:
987SCoupe (06-11-2021), josephr25 (06-11-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 04:53 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I guess everyone is different but it seems so foreign to me to buy something like this on impulse without having figured out the details before soft committing to it. I’m very much like westcoast in that I only walked into a dealer after I was 100% committed, and that was after I did the math 100x, planned for the worst case scenarios on income loss, got the wife’s ok, cross shopped alternatives, etc.
I wish more people showed this sense of accountability in many aspects of life today.
The following 2 users liked this post by 987SCoupe:
P-car-Vancouver (06-11-2021), smegman (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 04:56 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 105 Posts

Well I'm like you, but because i wanted to do all the research, get wife's ok, make sure i sell my previous car, then put in order, now i have to wait 4 months without a car (I mean i have my daily for getting around, but no fun!) haha. I can see why people might jump early to make sure they don't have to deal with the lull.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:11 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Different people man. I don't know what to tell you. There are actually scenarios where people would have to bail... As far as your planning...I am right there with you. But **** does happen that could really turn your world upside down and a car is the last thing you're worried about.

Last edited by flynlo; 06-11-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:12 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Well I'm like you, but because i wanted to do all the research, get wife's ok, make sure i sell my previous car, then put in order, now i have to wait 4 months without a car (I mean i have my daily for getting around, but no fun!) haha. I can see why people might jump early to make sure they don't have to deal with the lull.
Bailing because Porsche screwed up, and now can't deliver as promised, is different than someone bailing just because their mood changed. If you decide to back out because your car was subject to the con-rod issue (I did) that's completely acceptable in my book. I.e., you didn't sign up for "unconditional" commitment regardless of what happens.
The following 2 users liked this post by 987SCoupe:
flynlo (06-11-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 06:15 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

+1 for me. Months of deliberation before I pulled the trigger in Nov 2020. Had to wait 4 months for an allocation after that.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:22 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
Regarding to customers that are on more than one dealer list, what does PCNA do when they realized that whole bunch V070 Order Demands belong to the same person?
In Vancouver here in Canada I was told in January when I was getting anxious I won’t get an allocation after waiting for 3 months, that the Canadian division of PCNA will see that you have multiple V070’s and will disregard the duplicate ones. So no point really to do it. My allocation ended up coming through a month later at my original dealer.
The following users liked this post:
LnC993 (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Every time I have bought a new vehicle I question the purchase, have that conversation with myself, is it really needed (rarely), can you justify it (never) do you want it (for sure) and finally can you afford it or will it affect your finances in a bad way... This last one is the first question I put to bed before starting the process but it always lingers until I sign the papers because you never know what is around the corner which is one we try to plan for but can never fully appreciate before it strikes: financial hardship.

I got laid off 4 months before the delivery of my Spyder, so yes, I agree with you on these points.
The only thing I changed my mind on was between a BGTS @115k to GT4 @125k well that and waiting to to PTS forever and a half... finally gave up and did a shark blue build
Old 06-11-2021, 06:46 PM
mprezive
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgang
Frankly, the part that surprises me most about RLers "getting on lists" is the number of people who don't go through the process of creating a Customer Order Demand and get a Commision Number. I mean that IS the official notification method for dealerships to inform the factory they have a pending customer sale should an allocation be granted. The only reason I hold out hope that I may get my GT4 one of these days is because I've got a Comm Number and am next in line on the dealer's list.

Better to be at status V070 than status zero, right?
I've been on internet car forums for over 20 years, this is par for the course
That said, I'm new here so I'm open to hearing how other folks, specifically those that say stuff like " I won't go on a list, I only get my cars from the CEO of Porsche hand delivered to my garage", would address the issue of lists being a common method of ordering a GT4 now (from my limited research so far).

In my case, I realize that being #7 on a waiting list isn't looking great, so I'm exploring other options and working the network a bit to see if I can move my name up a bit. I posted my update here so other folks in the Seattle area (or would be open to ordering here) have an idea of what it looks like. Next week I'll start calling more dealers on the west coast (including a few references I have now) to see how that helps. Happy to post up my updates if it's helpful to folks.

edit:
This is exactly what I did also, I had a mild freak out as this is my first $100K car, but the math works. The hardest part for me was the wife's oK Got that, double/triple checked and now all is good! I'm pretty sure she wants me to have it now so I shut up about it (which we all know, won't happen )

Last edited by mprezive; 06-11-2021 at 06:54 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mprezive:
bpeacock (06-11-2021), flynlo (06-11-2021), halfmonkey (06-12-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-11-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 01:27 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Porsche Germany can and will sell every car they build, at a fixed price, to dealers. Dealers, however, can play all kinds of games with allocation stories, supply rumors and selling prices....and many do. If potential buyers want to game the system, by being on multiple lists, so be it. Actually plays into the dealer story about excessive demand, while somewhat confusing customer order expectations.

In some ways similar to my kids applying to multiple colleges, and going with several acceptances, until they hopefully get the one they really want.

I think Porsche Germany hasn't covered their fixed costs, and the profit objectives, set for 4.0 engine offerings, and they may jack up production in 2022, and possibly into 2023 to recoup their investment. Part of the game is, of course, not announcing that in advance. The pandemic, supply shortages, chip fiasco, engine problem, and production slowdown....all have helped pushed everything back, fogging the supply/demand curve. Some potential buyers are understandably looking at the current situation more from a dealer perspective, than from the manufacturer's motivations.

Stuff happens, plans change, stay turned.
AlexCeres (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 04:51 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fantom
I think Porsche Germany hasn't covered their fixed costs, and the profit objectives, set for 4.0 engine offerings, and they may jack up production in 2022, and possibly into 2023 to recoup their investment. Part of the game is, of course, not announcing that in advance. The pandemic, supply shortages, chip fiasco, engine problem, and production slowdown....all have helped pushed everything back, fogging the supply/demand curve. Some potential buyers are understandably looking at the current situation more from a dealer perspective, than from the manufacturer's motivations.
You made some good points here. Due to all the unprecedented event mentioned above, I think there's a very real possibility of 2023 MY GT4/Spyder.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:58 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,775 Likes on 972 Posts

Production seems rather lacking though for 2022 GT4/spyder models. Seems like way less allocations than 2020 and 2021 from what I can tell. My thoughts are they're reserving spots for RS's and to hell with GT4/gts/S/T production.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:42 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

Production seems rather lacking though for 2022 GT4/spyder models. Seems like way less allocations than 2020 and 2021 from what I can tell. My thoughts are they're reserving spots for RS's and to hell with GT4/gts/S/T production.

There is some truth to this, however I do not think it is because they are saying to hell with the GT4, it is more because of limited parts and they have to spread available resources out and also production lines.

From a business perspective it makes no sense for them to say oh you want a GT4, too bad, we aren't making you one.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:01 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

I thought the 2021 GT4/Spyder was a lot fewer than 2020.

2021's production was cut short, ended in June instead of usual up to the August factory close. 2022 production have not even started and they only handed out the allocations for July through early September productions slots so far, we still have 1 whole year of production coming.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:05 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

Production has been prioritized to the 992 GT3... obvious too as a ton of them have been highlighted on Instagram recently.
JAhmed (06-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker