Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 09:25 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
There's a strike planned starting Oct 01 for all eastern ports, plus Houston (Freeport is not included). But I'm almost sure Biden would call it off at the last minute if it's imminent, since it'd be devastating to the economy. And just force them to reach a deal without striking. But we'll see. If it happens, it'd cause massive delays everywhere. And what's 'WX'? Another storm? Don't get those initials.
I think he’s talking about the storm.

Anyone here on the Siem Confucius ship and have already paid/subscribed to one of the vessel tracking apps?

Also I think Freeport is part of ILA so they may strike too.

Old 09-23-2024, 10:18 AM
Kram71
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I think my car may be at the dealer this week. I have been thinking of things I may do.

1. PPF
2. Clear markers
3. Get some new detailing stuff
4. Take out soundaktor fuse
5. Get radiator grill inserts

Anything else you can think of?
Old 09-23-2024, 10:32 AM
ppeterso2
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kram71
I think my car may be at the dealer this week. I have been thinking of things I may do.

1. PPF
2. Clear markers

Sounds like a great plan. Hopefully mine too! Im have the parts for 2 and 5. I don’t know if the BGTS4.0 has #4, but if the sound acoustic tube thing is too noisy i will stuff a sock in it.

I saw online where someone used Meguiars detail clay to get a grip on the side markers to remove them.

Is yours a Boxster or Cayman? If Boxster I want to see if I can use my Launch Pro X431 919e to program the top to lower and raise with the key fob like ROW
Old 09-23-2024, 10:36 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 326 Posts

1. PPF
2. Clear markers

6. Frunk and trunk liners
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 10:36 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by ppeterso2
Sounds like a great plan. Hopefully mine too! Im have the parts for 2 and 5. I don’t know if the BGTS4.0 has #4, but if the sound acoustic tube thing is too noisy i will stuff a sock in it.

I saw online where someone used Meguiars detail clay to get a grip on the side markers to remove them.

Is yours a Boxster or Cayman? If Boxster I want to see if I can use my Launch Pro X431 919e to program the top to lower and raise with the key fob like ROW
I think the side markers are fairly easy to take out after watching videos. I saw someone use 3m tape to do it and that method looked good.

I do not have the grilles yet. I need to figure out what is the best place to get them at. I saw people discuss two places but I did not save the places

Mine will be a 718 Boxster S.
Old 09-23-2024, 10:38 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by breny4104
6. Frunk and trunk liners
I will consider those. Crazy as it sounds I almost never need to use the trunk in my cars.
breny4104 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 10:39 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

@Kram71 , I got to ask, and not to be nosy, what kind of discount did you get if any? I haven't discussed that yet with my SA,
Old 09-23-2024, 10:41 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

I will consider those. Crazy as it sounds I almost never need to use the trunk in my cars.
The boxsters are great grocery getters. I'd hate to spill anything in the frunk without a liner.
ppeterso2 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 04:35 PM
ppeterso2
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the side markers are fairly easy to take out after watching videos. I saw someone use 3m tape to do it and that method looked good.

I do not have the grilles yet. I need to figure out what is the best place to get them at. I saw people discuss two places but I did not save the places

Mine will be a 718 Boxster S.
Sweet! The BGTS is ridiculously wide open up front (yet the Spyders seem to have the mesh on them)...smh. I bought the ones from Zunsport (I believe they are overseas in the UK, but the shipping was rather fast!). A couple of people in my local PCA bought the Zunsport ones and I got to sit on the ground in front of the car and poke at them--i like them. My kit included the side grilles too, but I don't think I'll use them (still thinking on that one) I also need to bring some blue painters tape to protect the paint during install so I can make the 4 hour drive home safely.
Kram71 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 05:45 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

I have been thinking of things I may do.
I already have the grilles, and I went with RGS (Radiator Grille Store). I had the ZunSports on my ex-981, and never liked them, since they looked tacked-on. The RGSs look OEM, BUT on the 781, the zipties will be visible (on the Macan GTS, they're invisible, so fully OEM looking). But much prefer that, which will only be visible if you get on your knees, than the tacked-on look of the ZunSports. But to each his own, of course. At least we have 2 good options now. Oh, and the RGSs are like half the price, so there's that. Ha ha.
I'm going to order the clear LED markers soon, but need to start a new thread about carpeted options for the front and rear trunks. I had both the 'tub', and rubber rear mat on my ex-981, and they looked like crap. Plus the tub removed quite a bit of usable space, believe it or not. If there's no OEM looking option for mats, then I'd only order the rear mat. I'm going 'tubless' this time. If that's the case, I remember Target had a better fitting tub, and like at 1/6th the price. But hope there's a nice carpeted option that matches the factory carpet, even if it doesn't say 'PORSCHE'. The rubber of both the mat and winter floor mats is absolute crap. The Macan GTS had those, and you can't make them look like new again. And they get marked horribly immediately. Same material on the rear mat, and $115, so not worth it at all.
I'm also removing the Soundaktor fuse immediately. And have a long list of stuff to order from Suncoast, but what I already ordered is a SportShifters ****, which I should get before the car (takes 2+ months). That should eliminate the need to get a GT4 shifter, since it lowers the shifter a little over 1/2" (vs 7/8s), but reportedly completely changes the feel of shifting, since the crappy stock **** weighs nothing (like all others). But maybe you ordered a PDK, so might not apply to you. And no PPF for me.

Kram71 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 06:53 PM
Kram71
Racer

I already have the grilles, and I went with RGS (Radiator Grille Store). I had the ZunSports on my ex-981, and never liked them, since they looked tacked-on. The RGSs look OEM, BUT on the 781, the zipties will be visible (on the Macan GTS, they're invisible, so fully OEM looking). But much prefer that, which will only be visible if you get on your knees, than the tacked-on look of the ZunSports. But to each his own, of course. At least we have 2 good options now. Oh, and the RGSs are like half the price, so there's that. Ha ha.
I'm going to order the clear LED markers soon, but need to start a new thread about carpeted options for the front and rear trunks. I had both the 'tub', and rubber rear mat on my ex-981, and they looked like crap. Plus the tub removed quite a bit of usable space, believe it or not. If there's no OEM looking option for mats, then I'd only order the rear mat. I'm going 'tubless' this time. If that's the case, I remember Target had a better fitting tub, and like at 1/6th the price. But hope there's a nice carpeted option that matches the factory carpet, even if it doesn't say 'PORSCHE'. The rubber of both the mat and winter floor mats is absolute crap. The Macan GTS had those, and you can't make them look like new again. And they get marked horribly immediately. Same material on the rear mat, and $115, so not worth it at all.
I'm also removing the Soundaktor fuse immediately. And have a long list of stuff to order from Suncoast, but what I already ordered is a SportShifters ****, which I should get before the car (takes 2+ months). That should eliminate the need to get a GT4 shifter, since it lowers the shifter a little over 1/2" (vs 7/8s), but reportedly completely changes the feel of shifting, since the crappy stock **** weighs nothing (like all others). But maybe you ordered a PDK, so might not apply to you. And no PPF for me.
My car is a stick shift. I will look in to that shift **** you mentioned. What were the reasons you wanted that specific one?

I will also look in to Radiator Grille Store. If its just zipties that show or something like that I can try to cut them close.

I have considered skipping the PPF and saving the $$$ but so many people seems to advise it. I feel like there are good and bad things regarding it.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:46 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

The zip ties for the grilles will be all but invisible, so not a big deal at all, even for my super '****' standards. Ha ha. And much cheaper, so that decision wasn't hard at all for me.
The ***** from that company are the best, and the only OEM-looking ones IMO. Not cheap, but if you want OEM quality, you have to pay. And they offer 4 different weights, many different designs, and lots of different materials and options. I went with the GT3 with black Nappa non-perforated leather, no front stitch, regular 'H' pattern, and the 'silver-gray' color top and bottom, which matches the plaque tone on the shift boot. Here is their site (scroll down for the different models): https://sportshifters.com/collections/porsche. And the Youtube video below can help you decide on the weight, but SS owner said for quicker shifting medium was best, and higher weight for better feel and slower shifting. I was between medium and medium+, and decided on the latter, since I won't track the car, but hope I made the right decision. Ha ha. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-23-2024 at 09:08 PM.
Kram71 (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 12:53 AM
b4udoo
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Kram, I have used the Zunsport grilles on my cars, not the cheapest solution but well made, good fit and simple install.
BTW The Siem Cicero is just off the Mexican coast near Tuxpan. The tropical weather situation will have no bearing on cars going to TX

Last edited by b4udoo; 09-24-2024 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2024, 01:56 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

The grill issue is just cosmetic; both will protect the radiators the same. Just get them since day 1. Well, I got them since day -75 or so (ha ha), due to free shipping, for having bought the Macan GTS ones. But you get the picture. Funny that the tacked-on Zunsports should be easier to install, but that's not the case. And I would NOT get them if you have a painted bumper. I scratched the plastic on my 981 GTS quite a bit. Maybe the 718s are different, but getting those suckers to latch was a bear on that car.
Old 09-24-2024, 04:22 AM
Kram71
Racer

The grill issue is just cosmetic; both will protect the radiators the same. Just get them since day 1. Well, I got them since day -75 or so (ha ha), due to free shipping, for having bought the Macan GTS ones. But you get the picture. Funny that the tacked-on Zunsports should be easier to install, but that's not the case. And I would NOT get them if you have a painted bumper. I scratched the plastic on my 981 GTS quite a bit. Maybe the 718s are different, but getting those suckers to latch was a bear on that car.
I just saw they are about 3 times as much (220 vs 70). Any advantage of one over the other?

Do people get center grills or just the 2 side grills?

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.