Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2024, 06:02 PM
darlinboy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had Porsches with and without PVT and chose not to check that box on my current B718SE. IMO, not enough difference to matter unless you are driving very (very) aggressively on the road, or regularly doing autoX or track. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 06:24 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

Thank you very much for everybody's great input. Well, I found out PTV is not a true torque-vectoring differential, which means having an electronically-controlled clutch pack at each end of the differential, then the half-shafts coming out of them. It adds quite a bit of heft and complication. And replacing those clutch packs is way more expensive than just brake pads. So in a way, it's better to be a brake-based torque vectoring. Basically we're paying $1,330 for an LSD, but didn't want to regret not having it if I ever need it, so went ahead and added it. Ha ha. Also added body-color headlamp washers, and re-added power steering column, which didn't stay in there. And same thing happened to the other car. Had to try twice more, but it's in there now. Here's my latest build: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PSWIMCW6. So basically the sportiest build possible (PASM, GT wheel, Sport Chrono, 6MT, 20s, dual-tip PSE), while very luxurious too, with almost every leather option + premium package. My only slight concern is the configurator picture does not show the LED headlights, nor the rotary drive mode on the GT wheel. But hope they're there. GM told me my build was having an issue with the wheels, but the code is 'body colored painted wheels', which I did NOT choose, so hope it's not a problem. Also hope the power steering column is not a problem either, since it kept removing itself from there. Will know Monday. He said ETA is late November (freeze date is Wed), so basically the same as the old car. SA on that car is on vacation, so will wait until Monday to let him know I no longer want the car. Thanks again for all the comments and guidance. Always appreciated. Now have the perfect build, although I wasn't crazy about adding 12+ grand to the total, now $101,165 for a freaking base Cayman. Geez. Oh well. Hope my left hand doesn't refuse to write the check when it comes. Ha ha. Have a great rest of your weekend.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-2024 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OKCabriolet (08-25-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 10:57 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
Thank you very much for everybody's great input. Well, I found out PTV is not a true torque-vectoring differential, which means having an electronically-controlled clutch pack at each end of the differential, then the half-shafts coming out of them. It adds quite a bit of heft and complication. And replacing those clutch packs is way more expensive than just brake pads. So in a way, it's better to be a brake-based torque vectoring. Basically we're paying $1,330 for an LSD, but didn't want to regret not having it if I ever need it, so went ahead and added it. Ha ha. Also added body-color headlamp washers, and re-added power steering column, which didn't stay in there. And same thing happened to the other car. Had to try twice more, but it's in there now. Here's my latest build: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PSWIMCW6. So basically the sportiest build possible (PASM, GT wheel, Sport Chrono, 6MT, 20s, dual-tip PSE), while very luxurious too, with almost every leather option + premium package. My only slight concern is the configurator picture does not show the LED headlights, nor the rotary drive mode on the GT wheel. But hope they're there. GM told me my build was having an issue with the wheels, but the code is 'body colored painted wheels', which I did NOT choose, so hope it's not a problem. Also hope the power steering column is not a problem either, since it kept removing itself from there. Will know Monday. He said ETA is late November (freeze date is Wed), so basically the same as the old car. SA on that car is on vacation, so will wait until Monday to let him know I no longer want the car. Thanks again for all the comments and guidance. Always appreciated. Now have the perfect build, although I wasn't crazy about adding 12+ grand to the total, now $101,165 for a freaking base Cayman. Geez. Oh well. Hope my left hand doesn't refuse to write the check when it comes. Ha ha. Have a great rest of your weekend.
In my opinion it is a really great feeling to get a car just the way you want it and being the very first owner.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kram71:
darlinboy (08-25-2024), OKCabriolet (08-25-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 11:05 PM
Kram71
Racer

My only slight concern is the configurator picture does not show the LED headlights, nor the rotary drive mode on the GT wheel. But hope they're there.
I have noticed over the last 2 months that the configurator has a few glitches and that may be one of them since the chrono package comes standard with the MT in 2025. That was not the case in 2024. I think if you add the chrono package manually that the steering wheel will show the dial.
Old 08-24-2024, 11:24 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,474 Likes on 820 Posts

Dont rely on the picture to make sure your build is correct. ON mine i ordered the PDLS lights but it shows the base lights on the picture. I took delivery and i 100% have the PDLS lights. Also i cant imagine the GT wheel being that much smaller than the standard wheel. The standard wheel is quite small as is. With the premium package which i got, it comes with the Multifunction steering wheel with heated steering wheel. Sport Chrono is standard on the GTS and so the mode selector dial is automatically added.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
Angus725 (08-25-2024), Kram71 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 01:10 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

My guess is the GT wheel is about an inch smaller. You can see it 'shrinking' in the configurator. It looks great, plus I like it smaller. On my ex-981 GTS it was kind of big, but want it as small as possible. I could always add the 'power steering plus' programming later, if I wanted to. I had it on the GTS, and it felt too light, so happy not to have it anymore. It should be perfect on the new one.

I'm honestly not happy spending that insane amount of money on a base car, knowing I'll probably lose most of the option money, but I plan to keep it until I can't freaking drive, so the difference should be much less at that time. Ha ha. I'm going to enjoy driving that car a heck of a lot. Ha ha. Just hope nothing happens to my left leg, or right arm, so I don't have to give up driving my dream manual car. Ha ha. I plan to drive it all the way to the dragon next year. It's not going to be a garage queen; that's for sure. Just hope there are no constraints on my car; I'll know Monday. I don't have any 'manufaktur' options, so that should help.
Old 08-25-2024, 05:54 AM
Farmer Michael
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

My guess is the GT wheel is about an inch smaller. You can see it 'shrinking' in the configurator. It looks great, plus I like it smaller. On my ex-981 GTS it was kind of big, but want it as small as possible. I could always add the 'power steering plus' programming later, if I wanted to. I had it on the GTS, and it felt too light, so happy not to have it anymore. It should be perfect on the new one.

I'm honestly not happy spending that insane amount of money on a base car, knowing I'll probably lose most of the option money, but I plan to keep it until I can't freaking drive, so the difference should be much less at that time. Ha ha. I'm going to enjoy driving that car a heck of a lot. Ha ha. Just hope nothing happens to my left leg, or right arm, so I don't have to give up driving my dream manual car. Ha ha. I plan to drive it all the way to the dragon next year. It's not going to be a garage queen; that's for sure. Just hope there are no constraints on my car; I'll know Monday. I don't have any 'manufaktur' options, so that should help.
I like your build, I started at a base but by the time I optioned how I decided I wanted it I found myself going through the Style Edition, S and ultimately a GTS on the basis that the price step up isn't that great. On the other hand you could argue that I have been "had" by the marketing department and you have stood your ground.
The standard steering wheel is 375mm diameter according to the configurator and the GT Sports steering wheel is 360mm, for the non metrics out there 15mm is just about 5/8ths of an inch.

Last edited by Farmer Michael; 08-25-2024 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:22 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

The step to a GTS from base is $25K+, equally optioned. Not worth it to me. And no way I'd ever consider a stripper GTS vs a fully optioned base. I want my car to feel special, and looking at the cheapo plastic dash would be the opposite. Ha ha. Not to mention all the other luxury and performance amenities I'd be missing from my fully optioned base. And the little 4 banger actually sounds nicer to me below about 5K, where it will be driven the great majority of the time (especially being a turbo, with lots of power down low). But to each his own, of course. Plus I also like how nice I felt driving the slowest Cayman, not feeling the urge to drive fast. Very relaxing experience, enjoying the shifting, and the feel of everything. And I had to look at the rental-car quality plastic on the dash (and everywhere else). So mine will feel even more special to drive. Ha ha.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-25-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:34 PM
Kram71
Racer

The step to a GTS from base is $25K+, equally optioned. Not worth it to me. And no way I'd ever consider a stripper GTS vs a fully optioned base. I want my car to feel special, and looking at the cheapo plastic dash would be the opposite. Ha ha. Not to mention all the other luxury and performance amenities I'd be missing from my fully optioned base. And the little 4 banger actually sounds nicer to me below about 5K, where it will be driven the great majority of the time (especially being a turbo, with lots of power down low). But to each his own, of course. Plus I also like how nice I felt driving the slowest Cayman, not feeling the urge to drive fast. Very relaxing experience, enjoying the shifting, and the feel of everything. And I had to look at the rental-car quality plastic on the dash (and everywhere else). So mine will feel even more special to drive. Ha ha.
Get what works for you. These cars are all great. It is all personal preference. There are no wrong answers. I test drove a couple of 4.0 and while they were great in their way I enjoyed the turbo reaction more driving in town. Now if I was on a track doing 120mph I might feel different but for driving in town I preferred the turbo.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:44 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

I feel the same way now. I used to be 'never a turbo', but after owning several, and with the current technology that makes turbo lag basically non-existent, they're different beasts now. I honestly wasn't expecting to like the 2.0T, and was going to move on from Porsche, but after driving the 2.0T, I immediately knew it was what I was getting next. And it sounded amazing, starting with the cold start. With all the hate I read, I never expected that. Ha ha. So you have to always give it a try, since we all have different preferences in everything. And the little sucker has all the power I will ever need. I will be driving this car in a relaxed manner, enjoying driving and shifting (proper weighted SS **** on its way) to the max. And the beauty is with a GTS, I know I'd be revving the crap out of it since it's where it sounds the best, and it's just not the kind of driving I want to be doing. The 2.0T sounds the best down low, so no need to wring it out. It really talked to me, if that makes sense. Those H4 'haters' need to drive one before making a judgment. They sound and drive awesome.
Old 08-25-2024, 04:55 PM
Kram71
Racer

I feel the same way now. I used to be 'never a turbo', but after owning several, and with the current technology that makes turbo lag basically non-existent, they're different beasts now. I honestly wasn't expecting to like the 2.0T, and was going to move on from Porsche, but after driving the 2.0T, I immediately knew it was what I was getting next. And it sounded amazing, starting with the cold start. With all the hate I read, I never expected that. Ha ha. So you have to always give it a try, since we all have different preferences in everything. And the little sucker has all the power I will ever need. I will be driving this car in a relaxed manner, enjoying driving and shifting (proper weighted SS **** on its way) to the max. And the beauty is with a GTS, I know I'd be revving the crap out of it since it's where it sounds the best, and it's just not the kind of driving I want to be doing. The 2.0T sounds the best down low, so no need to wring it out. It really talked to me, if that makes sense. Those H4 'haters' need to drive one before making a judgment. They sound and drive awesome.
I do not pay attention to the "hate". I heard it with my RX7, with my Miatas, with my BMW Z4 and my BMW M Roadster. I know some 911 owners hated the Boxster which to me is strange because the Boxster reportedly saved Porsche years ago. Now some people push the 718 turbo hate which is interesting because I read in some ways the 718's are closer to the previous years 911 than the current 911s. Bottom line is its a great handling fun throw around Porsche. Nothing wrong with that in my mind. They are elite cars in my opinion. They are Car & Driver top 10 cars year in and year out. The only car I might even consider over the car I ordered would be a GT4 RS with the W package. Not a 911. Not a Corvette. Not a McLaren.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:51 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kram71
The only car I might even consider over the car I ordered would be a GT4 RS with the W package. Not a 911. Not a Corvette. Not a McLaren.
You know what I'd like even more? A GT4 'S/T', which would be an RS with a rod-linkage 6-sp manual, and without the overly racy bits. Just like Porsche did with the 911 S/T. THAT would be a real driver's car. Ha ha.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCtx:
fantôme (08-25-2024), fasteddie99 (Yesterday)
Old 08-25-2024, 10:08 PM
fantôme
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much for everybody's great input. Well, I found out PTV is not a true torque-vectoring differential, which means having an electronically-controlled clutch pack at each end of the differential, then the half-shafts coming out of them. It adds quite a bit of heft and complication. And replacing those clutch packs is way more expensive than just brake pads. So in a way, it's better to be a brake-based torque vectoring.
Hi, just to clarify, are you saying that when Porsche declares the Cayman PTV to be torque-vectoring, are you saying they mean the centre differential is _not_ mechanically locking like a Torsen, but rather an open differential like the early Boxsters? Because you don't need electronically controlled clutch packs to have a locking differential. It is true that the most common mechanical lockers are not infinitely variable on the fly, they are pre-set for torque split, but that's still a huge step forward compared to an open differential. The beauty of mechanical locking differentials is that they react instantly, no electronic delay, and they have been around long enough that they are super reliable, as opposed to some electronic clutch packs that in lesser automobiles might not be so well optimized.

It sounds like you are saying the PTV option doesn't change the centre differential, it is an add-on that affects only the rear brakes. To me, PTV would be an inexpensive upgrade with no performance downside if you're a gentle driver, as it will also guarantee better traction in slippery road conditions, not just at 10/10ths track driving.
Old 08-25-2024, 10:14 PM
fantôme
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel differently about interiors. I wish that automakers would offer stripper cars with the cheapest, most plain, robust but industrial interiors possible. Because to make a car truly special, it takes a lot of work to tear out all that leather just to upholster every surface in pink mink fur with diamondback inlays and zinc studs. That would be a _special_ interior. /S

But seriously, I agree with you about the leather interior. It is a classy upgrade. I am only saddened that Porsche has discontinued the leather interiors colors that I would have wanted.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fantôme
It sounds like you are saying the PTV option doesn't change the centre differential.
Nope; I didn't say that. The PTV option DOES CHANGE the differential, with a simple mechanical (clutch-type) LSD unit (instead of an open one without PTV), PLUS brake-based torque vectoring, meaning the system applies the inner rear brake to send more traction to the outside wheel, to 'rotate' the car better. What I don't like is it eat brakes, since even at speeds that won't break traction, it sends more power to the outside wheel, by braking the inner one. But it's only marginally heavier than an open one, and fully mechanical, which I like too. What I meant before was I thought Porsche was charging that much money for a true torque-vectoring differential, which has TWO electronically controlled clutch packs on each side, and the clutch packs do the transferring of power, rather than the LSD and regular brakes. In that case, there's an open differential in the middle, since the clutch packs are controlling where the power goes. They're heavy, and bulky. I meant something like the one below, which my ex-Lexus RC-F had. Bottom line is I was stupid, since the fact there's an LSD in the PTV option, automatically eliminates being a true torque-vectoring unit, which has an open differential. So never mind that argument. Ha ha. Sorry about the brain fart.

Last edited by JCtx; Yesterday at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.