Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024 | 11:43 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by b4udoo
Kram71, your car is on the siem cicero, last whereabouts slightly past halfway between ireland and rhode island
Thank you!
Old 09-11-2024 | 07:11 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys, I export to Europe every week (mostly out of Houston), and my broker is warning me of an impending strike what will hit all east coast ports, plus Houston, starting Oct 1st. That'd cause massive delays and chaos. Has anybody else heard that? That wouldn't affect the port my car is supposed to land on (Freeport TX), but if the strike proves true, I'm sure it'd affect all of us waiting for our cars, due here later in the year. Hope the issue (or issues) gets resolved before then. With holidays looming, it's also possible government may intervene if necessary, but we'll see.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-11-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2024 | 04:29 AM
bobcooper
Rennlist Member

My 718S just entered the build stage — a few days behind the original estimated date.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024 | 10:30 AM
TRenz
Track Day

Originally Posted by JCtx
Can you please elaborate a little bit on that, for those of us who don't have any idea what you're talking about? By the way, the new car is getting delayed again, so it's a long way from shipping out.
When you use the my.porsche.com website, it displays information about the current status of your vehicle build. There is additional (hidden) information that is retrieved when you browse the website that is not displayed to the user in the browser. For example, the registry number of the ship that is transporting your vehicle from Emden to your destination port (Baltimore, Davisville, Jacksonville, Freeport, etc.). Once, your vehicle is loaded onto a ship, the my.porsche.com website will have the IMO number of the ship in one of the hidden tags. You can use a special "Developer Tools" mode of your browser to view the information in the hidden tags.

A simple Google search of the IMO number will reveal the name of the ship. There are several ship tracking websites that can be queried to find the current position of the ship in transit and likely arrival dates.

Below is an example view of the hidden information. The "IMO_9397999" is the registry number for the ship: Amethyst Ace.

(Unrelated to the my.porsche.com website) If your vehicle has not been loaded onto a ship yet, you can also search other websites for future shipping schedules to see when the next ships will be leaving Emden. The Emden departure date "11.-12.09.2024" is read: 11/09/2024 to 12/09/2024 (day/month/year).

Last edited by TRenz; 09-12-2024 at 01:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRenz:
b4udoo (09-12-2024), ChattStringer (09-29-2024)
Old 09-12-2024 | 11:17 AM
ppeterso2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRenz
When you use the my.porsche.com website, it displays information about the current status of your vehicle build. There is additional (hidden) information that is retrieved when you browse the website that is not displayed to the user in the browser. For example, the registry number of the ship that is transporting your vehicle from Emden to your destination port (Baltimore, Davisville, Jacksonville, Freeport, etc.). Once, your vehicle is loaded onto a ship, the my.porsche.com website will have the IMO number of the ship in one of the hidden tags. You can use a special "Developer Tools" mode of your browser to view the information in the hidden tags.

A simple Google search of the IMO number will reveal the name of the ship. There are several ship tracking websites that can be queried to find the current position of the ship in transit and likely arrival dates.

Below is an example view of the hidden information. The "IMO_9397999" is the registry number for the ship: Amethyst Ace.

If your vehicle has not been loaded onto a ship yet, you can also search future shipping schedules to see when the next ships will be leaving Emden. The Emden departure date "11.-12.09.2024" is read: 11/09/2024 to 12/09/2024 (day/month/year).

Excellent Resource TRenz! I didn't know about the shipping schedule log--that is awesome!
ChattStringer (09-29-2024)
Old 09-12-2024 | 03:31 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for the info. Now we just have to figure out how to use 'developer tools mode' to be able to see that. Ha ha. But we're making progress. I use Firefox, by the way. I have like a month left to figure that out.
Old 09-14-2024 | 07:24 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

While we wait to hear more news on our cars, wanted to ask the gang what's the deal with the 6MT transmission and differential on our cars. Is it just one unit, sharing fluid? If yes, is there just one fluid to use, whether you have PTV/LSD or not? LSDs contaminate the oil quite a bit, and require a friction modifier to minimize/eliminate chatter at high steering angles (U-turns, driveway maneuvers, etc). Couldn't find any info on 718s, other than it 981s held about 2.5 quarts. I'm planning on doing an early transaxle fluid change, since my car will have a 'dirty' LSD, but maybe at the 2nd (or 3rd?) oil change, around 6K miles (first at 1K, then 5K thereafter). And I'd use exactly what Porsche uses at the factory, to avoid having any shifting issues. Thanks in advance for the info. And feel free to ignore this, and continue with the subject at hand.
Oh, and if anybody with a '24 2.0T can tell me if it uses 0/30 or 0/40 oil, I'd greatly appreciate it, so stock on oil. If 0/30, M1 ESP is C30 compatible. If 0/40, it has to be ESP X3 C40. I don't believe US cars have GPFs, but might still be better to use the C oils than the old As, like M1 0/40 European Formula. Comments on that welcome too. Thanks.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-15-2024 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2024 | 11:20 AM
TeaRex
6th Gear

BGTS4 just went into production 9/13... can't wait! Orig build date was 9/9.
Old 09-15-2024 | 02:52 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

There seems to be a possible strike in the eastcoast to the gulf shore on October 1st.

My car is supposed to unload in Freeport, TX but the ship tracker is showing Davisville, RI, while my porsche app is still showing Freeport, TX.

Going to Davisville would get the ship there before the strike but going straight to Freeport, TX risks landing during strike.

Is this why it’s going to Davisville or is it just one of several stops along the east coast before going to Texas?
Old 09-15-2024 | 03:55 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The free ship trackers just show the next port.

TYD just shows your final destination.

After Davisville, could hit Baltimore, Jacksonville, or Tuxpan, before Freeport.

You’re on your way!
Old 09-15-2024 | 04:03 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

After Davisville, could hit Baltimore, Jacksonville, or Tuxpan, before Freeport.

You’re on your way!
Thanks. Crossing my fingers there won’t be a strike!
Old 09-15-2024 | 04:19 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

It arrived at the dealership a few days ago. Between PPF and cross country transport, it will probably be another 2-3 weeks before I get my hands on it.

Old 09-15-2024 | 04:26 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
Going to Davisville would get the ship there before the strike, but going straight to Freeport, TX risks landing during strike.
According to my broker, only Houston would be striking (if it happens), so Freeport should be fine. However, if there strike goes on, there would be a crapload of cargo unloading there (and other ports), possibly causing massive delays. You guys are lucky that your cars are almost there. But if it goes on, our cars would probably be massively delayed. I'm almost sure the government would halt any such strike (forcing both sides to settle), since it'd be devastating to the economy, especially near the holiday season. But we'll see.

Originally Posted by TeaRex
BGTS4 just went into production 9/13... can't wait! Orig build date was 9/9.
Man, that was quick. Congrats. Mine is supposed to start production on 9/17. The info hasn't been updated for almost 2 weeks. Mine froze 8/17, so almost a month ago.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-15-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2024 | 04:31 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCtx
According to my broker, only Houston would be striking (if it happens), so Freeport should be fine. However, if there strike goes on, there would be a crapload of cargo unloading there (and other ports), possibly causing massive delays. You guys are lucky that your cars are almost there. But if it goes on, our cars would probably be massively delayed. I'm almost sure the government would halt any such strike (forcing both sides to settle), since it'd be devastating to the economy, especially near the holiday season. But we'll see.

Man, that was quick. Congrats. Mine is supposed to start production on 9/17. The info hasn't been updated for almost 2 weeks. Mine froze 8/17, so almost a month ago.
Good to know about Freeport thanks. Although, I did see a local ILA union at Freeport on Google map.

I’m surprised our government hasn’t stepped in yet, even though ILA announced it many months ago and now we’re looking at 2 weeks.
Old 09-15-2024 | 06:06 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

You’re on your way!
I definitely could be wrong but I believe it is Davisville tomorrow and Jacksonville within a week.
Purekoryo (09-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.