Notices

My Trailer Diary

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ex10psi
other than my roof vent covers flying off driving through those nor cal winds (seattle to thunder hill ) everything was flawless.
Ah... glad you mentioned the vent covers. I don't think I ever talked about them in this tread. Although, I believe many others have discussed the problem on RL.

I lost not one, but two vent lids over the course of the year. Always the front (leading) vent. The vents TPD uses are not up to snuff. This is one area where they (TPD) don't measure up. To be fair, they don't actually make the vent, they buy an off-the-shelft vent and install it. But come on! Spend a few dollars more to get a heavy duty one that will survive a cruise on the highway at 85 mph!!!

I ended up getting the MaxxAir vent covers installed over top of mine. Work like a champ! No issues since then.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:43 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Ah... glad you mentioned the vent covers. I don't think I ever talked about them in this tread. Although, I believe many others have discussed the problem on RL.

I lost not one, but two vent lids over the course of the year. Always the front (leading) vent. The vents TPD uses are not up to snuff. This is one area where they (TPD) don't measure up. To be fair, they don't actually make the vent, they buy an off-the-shelft vent and install it. But come on! Spend a few dollars more to get a heavy duty one that will survive a cruise on the highway at 85 mph!!!

I ended up getting the MaxxAir vent covers installed over top of mine. Work like a champ! No issues since then.
yes that's exactly what i did. i had the maxxair vent covers (2 total) installed over the crappy roof vents that TPD sources. no problems since!

and yes, it was always the front vent that blew off, happened to me 3 times all in the northern calif area on i-5.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:46 PM
ex10psi
Racer

oh one more point. i actually had a maxxair vent cover blow off on me as well! and that was because the trailer shop that installed them did a **** poor job of securing screws to the vent frame, all they used were self tapping. i fixed the issue by ditching the self tapping screws, drilled the hole larger on the vent frame, and used a nut and bolt with loctite. they are not going anywhere. so morale of the story, check your maxxair vent covers to make sure they're nice and secure, because i'm assuming the self tapping screws supplied by maxxair were used to install them, per their instructions.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

west coast users, TPD is it. no and if buts

about the vent flying off, what did i tell you and ex10psi and DRL. do not get vents......

about your tire rack. what did i tell you, get irvin smith and you be happy.....

but you DID listen to me and bought a TPD and ex10psi did listen and bought 24' not 20'. it's like your family jewel. long is good.

my 53' with peterbilt will be at TH with GGR in march. 5 cars i will bring.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There's significant wind circulating around the roof vents especially up front which is why you're supposed to close them completely. Eventually they get brittle and fly off about once a year for me.

So has anyone come up with a working system to vent your trailer on the road especially after an event when the car's still warm? I thought of installing a horse trailer type rocker vent, the rectangular type that opens in either direction. I'd install it either up front on the roof or up high in fresh air on the front facing exterior wall. Either place it would receive a lot of air and I think you would have to run your rear vent open to exhaust the incoming air. Any better ideas?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
There's significant wind circulating around the roof vents especially up front which is why you're supposed to close them completely. Eventually they get brittle and fly off about once a year for me.

So has anyone come up with a working system to vent your trailer on the road especially after an event when the car's still warm? I thought of installing a horse trailer type rocker vent, the rectangular type that opens in either direction. I'd install it either up front on the roof or up high in fresh air on the front facing exterior wall. Either place it would receive a lot of air and I think you would have to run your rear vent open to exhaust the incoming air. Any better ideas?
the maxxair vent covers allow you to fully open your trailer vents while in motion without anything blowing off assuming you install the maxxair's correctly. they come with a bunch of self tapping sheet metal screws that screw in to the vent cover frame. or you can do what i did and use nut and bolt to secure, much more secure, easy to do.

they allow full ventilation without rain getting in as well. here's some detail: http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tra...Air/67277.html

i've tested at freeway speeds in high wind, trailer vents fully open, no issues. they are great for what you're looking for.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
west coast users, TPD is it. no and if buts

about the vent flying off, what did i tell you and ex10psi and DRL. do not get vents......

about your tire rack. what did i tell you, get irvin smith and you be happy.....

but you DID listen to me and bought a TPD and ex10psi did listen and bought 24' not 20'. it's like your family jewel. long is good.

my 53' with peterbilt will be at TH with GGR in march. 5 cars i will bring.
and i did the window against your recommendation
Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

^ dont blame me when your TPD floods into swimming pool
oh, your blind did fall off on it's maiden trip lmao
Old 01-16-2014, 12:01 AM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
^ dont blame me when your TPD floods into swimming pool
oh, your blind did fall off on it's maiden trip lmao
hahaha.... i was slightly upset about the blinds falling off!!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:50 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was dinkin' around on YouTube...man, there are some trailer disasters on there...whoa
Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Default Spring Cleaning & Enhancements

I spent my weekend cleaning up the trailer for the 2014 track season. I've also added some nice enhancements. As I like to say: "trailering is like racing... there is always improvement to be found."

Now my tools won't be a jumbled mess when I arrive at the track. Plus, I'll know at a glance if I'm missing a tool. A big shout out to Sean at Delta C Dynamics for helping with the layout and water-jet cutting the foam.

Name:  screwdrivers.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  172.8 KB

Name:  sockets.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  200.1 KB

Name:  wrenches.jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  168.8 KB

I've added a 2nd clock, so now everyone can see how long till their next session. Note the holster for the pressure gauge to the right of the door cabinet.

Name:  door.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  122.6 KB

My favorite new addition: an Arrow Components' Flip Bench. This will serve a desk for the laptop and taking notes, once the flat screen TV is installed above. These guys make the best damn stuff I've found. I have their door cabinet and strap hangers as well.

Name:  flipbench_open.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  111.7 KB

The Flip Bench stows quickly & easily for transport. It also comes with a 2nd set of mounting hardware, so you can easily move it to another location. I'm going to make my secondary spot on the curb side of the exterior of the trailer.

Name:  flipbench_closed.jpg
Views: 2018
Size:  110.7 KB

And, of course, lots of pictures of past glories!

Name:  prior_glory.jpg
Views: 2068
Size:  146.3 KB
Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Of course, it goes without saying that, by far the best new addition to the trailer is my new (to me) Cup car!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:20 AM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for this detailed thread, I learned a lot reading it. I'm shopping for my first trailer (I'm in NYC). Do you know of a good trailer manufacturer closer to NY? I'm looking for a lightweight enclosed that weighs less that 2,000 lbs. Any suggestions?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Enclosed less than 2000, Trailex in Akron Ohio. A days drive form NYC, but I would guess a local trailer dealer can work on ordering and shipping. Or I jut got back form Essen show, lots of lightweight neat enclosed trailers in europe, but shipping and license plates in the US will be a challenge. And did I mention expensive.

http://www.moetefindt.de/

Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 AM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

Thanks. The Moetefindt trailer is great. The Europeans have the added concern of smaller tow vehicles and more expensive fuel, the trailer solutions they come up with are genius.

Trailex is a good option. Have you heard of Montrose Trailers?

Quick Reply: My Trailer Diary