Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

^^ werd
Old 03-23-2016, 01:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Since this thread has become the de facto "epic trailer thread", and rightly so, I thought I would share some upgrades I made to my trailer this past weekend.

Decided to fabricate some brackets for my nitrogen bottle install, put in a bracket to hold my newly acquired race suit dryer, add the all important bottle opener, and lastly a less than subtle threat to any who may seek to mess with my trailer.
Attached Images       
Old 03-23-2016, 02:56 PM
ned911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The best theft deterrent I've seen was "Mobile HIV Testing Unit" printed in large font on someone's trailer.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:28 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

LuigiVampa, damn... that is one stout bottle opener you've got there! Mine only has 2 screws to secure it. Yours has 4!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:03 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Since this thread has become the de facto "epic trailer thread", and rightly so, I thought I would share some upgrades I made to my trailer this past weekend.

Decided to fabricate some brackets for my nitrogen bottle install, put in a bracket to hold my newly acquired race suit dryer, add the all important bottle opener, and lastly a less than subtle threat to any who may seek to mess with my trailer.
I really like your nitrogen bottle solution. Well done. I'm struggling with options for my Trailex, great motivation to fabricate what I want.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OpieT
I really like your nitrogen bottle solution. Well done. I'm struggling with options for my Trailex, great motivation to fabricate what I want.
I'm willing to chance some things in ife. This isn't one of them. Using two screws on a bottle opener is downright reckless.

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
LuigiVampa, damn... that is one stout bottle opener you've got there! Mine only has 2 screws to secure it. Yours has 4!
Three large screws for the top bracket, with at least one into the metal stud, the rest in plywood. Seven large screws for the bottom bracket, four into the floor and three into the wall.

It's satisfying to make what you want. No one would every call me a great welder but I clean it up with a grinder and it looks passable.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:52 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Have we talked about floors yet?

I like the look of the ATC rubber coin floor but worry about oil or other fluids getting on it. Looks like it would be a pain to clean up.

What about aluminum floors? Easier to clean up, but maybe not as comfortable on the feet.

Vinyl?

What do you guys have and what do you like/dislike about them?
Old 03-24-2016, 01:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

^^ My ATC has aluminum Extruded floors. Even with extra aluminum in the floor and walls still not great, nothing solid like a Featherlite, or my previous 44" Optima trailer (2nd pic).

I can see it move and bend under the cars weight, but it looks great when, specially when new (1st pic)

Mine is pretty basic compared to Chromium24's because I don't have that kind of foresight, but If anyone has questions I built a few..(Pic3)

My advice is get a tapered nose and speed bubble = 20 mph or 2 MPG..
Attached Images    
Old 03-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

I love your nitrogen bottle set-up. Need to replicate. Where did you get the sticker?
Old 03-24-2016, 04:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 860 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Where did you get the sticker?
https://readytodefend.com/index.php/window-decals.html
Old 04-27-2016, 11:49 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

anyone use LED floodlights on trailer? Where did your get them? I broke on of my recessed halogens- need to replace
Old 04-28-2016, 12:02 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Are you talking about the outside ones? I got tired of the halogen bulbs breaking every other trip. Bought some LEDs that fit in the fixture. Work great, not quite 1000W, but unless you're working on the engine trackside, they're plenty bright. I believe I got them at Home Depot online
Old 04-28-2016, 04:44 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

I need to caution those who may have followed my lead and bought an aluminium nitrogen bottle. I used a ratchet strap to secure it to my tire cart. The metal ratchet portion has abraded the bottle over time. Last time I took it to get filled, the gas vendor said no. They claimed the bottle was no longer safe.

I notice in the picture LuigiVampa posted he is doing the same as I describe (albeit with what I assume is a steel bottle). I would encourage you to use another method, or at least to use some spacer or padding to prevent the chafing.

Moving trailers and the stuff inside undergo a tremendous amount of shock and vibration. It never ceases to amaze me what breaks or gets damaged as the miles accumulate.

Last edited by 24Chromium; 04-29-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I need to caution those who may have followed my lead and bought an aluminium nitrogen bottle. I used a ratchet strap to secure it to my tire cart. The metal ratchet portion has abraded the bottle over time. Last time I took it to get filled, the gas vendor said no. They claimed the bottle was no longer safe.

I notice in the picture luigivampa posted he is doing the same as I describe (albeit with what I assume is a steel bottle). I would encourage you to use another method, or at least to use some spacer or padding to prevent the chafing.

Moving trailers and the stuff inside undergo a tremendous amount of shock and vibration. It never ceases to amaze me what brakes or gets damaged as the miles accumulate.
It is a steel bottle but funny you should mention this. I try to plan things out and thought I came up with a simple design. The truth is a more simple design could have been to "U" shapes brackets at the top with tabs on each side which could be bolted together. That would alleviate the damage caused by ratcheting. Thought of this afterwards.

With padding on the inside of both "U" brackets, and the pressure of a nut and bolt on each side holding them together with the bottle in between, it would be cheaper, less moving parts, and no damage to the bottle.

Sucks to have to throw away a nice aluminum bottle.

Question - I haven't used my bottle yet because I forgot to buy a cage for the top. I don't want to have to keep putting the filler gauges on and off. Someone said to me that it was overkill to have a cage because it was securely attached to the wall of a trailer. A cage is only needed if the bottle was in danger of falling over.

What is the consensus on that?
Old 04-28-2016, 08:54 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Agreed. I have another aluminium bottle in the trailer for my hose reel. It's secured in a similar fashion as you describe. I've never put a cage on it. I leave the regulator attached and plumbed. All I do is turn the valve on the bottle to close it when it's not in use. No problem in 3 or 4 years of use.

Quick Reply: My Trailer Diary