Notices

My Trailer Diary

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013 | 03:16 AM
winders
Race Car

Since I don't have a Cup Car or a GT3, I guess I don't need 6 sets of wheels. I have a wall mounted rack in my trailer and would not trade it for shore beams or some rolling tire rack I have to tie down.

Scott
Old 05-22-2013 | 10:41 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Since I don't have a Cup Car or a GT3, I guess I don't need 6 sets of wheels. I have a wall mounted rack in my trailer and would not trade it for shore beams or some rolling tire rack I have to tie down.

Scott
You say that until someone cuts their head wide open on it. It's just a matter of time unfortunately.
Old 05-22-2013 | 01:47 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Plavan
You say that until someone cuts their head wide open on it. It's just a matter of time unfortunately.
Somehow I think you are exaggerating the likelihood of this happening. I know MANY people with wall mounted tire racks in their trailers and I don't see scars on them......

Scott
Old 05-22-2013 | 01:50 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Scott
That's a tidy set up, there. Who makes that trailer?
Old 05-22-2013 | 02:16 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

I have the same tire racks ^^^ in my trailer--for four sets of wheels. I have banged my head a half dozen times, but I'm slowly learning!
Old 05-22-2013 | 02:23 PM
winders
Race Car

Charlie,

Thanks. It's a 24' Cargo Mate Eliminator. I have a bi-level fuel jug rack that hold 8 fuel jugs and a floor jack "pouch" installed now. I need to install a vertical holder for my 10' x 15' canopy soon. I will also get a shelf for the door to hold some cleaners and towels. But that is about the extent of it. Most of my funds go into the race car and race entries, not the trailer.

Scott
Old 05-22-2013 | 02:24 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I have the same tire racks ^^^ in my trailer--for four sets of wheels. I have banged my head a half dozen times, but I'm slowly learning!
How short are you guys? I would bang my chest or back on the rack, not my head....

Scott
Old 05-22-2013 | 02:25 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

With Scott on this one. I actually have two wall mounted racks like his; one left and one right.

One must bend a bit early to strap down front wheels, but that is the only hassle.

Once in a blue moon, it's tiring to put wheels up in the racks on a Sunday afternoon, but in general they work very well. The rolling rack must also be loaded, and then pushed into the trailer and strapped down...probably more hassle.
Old 05-22-2013 | 02:27 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Charlie,

Thanks. It's a 24' Cargo Mate Eliminator. I have a bi-level fuel jug rack that hold 8 fuel jugs and a floor jack "pouch" installed now. I need to install a vertical holder for my 10' x 15' canopy soon. I will also get a shelf for the door to hold some cleaners and towels. But that is about the extent of it. Most of my funds go into the race car and race entries, not the trailer.

Scott
Scott, I mounted a shelf and paper towel holder on my door. Never use them and if not bound by a small bungee, the paper towel roll will unwind in the breeze.

Save your bucks. I did mount a $9.00 clock on the door...love it!
Old 05-22-2013 | 03:05 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

How short are you guys? I would bang my chest or back on the rack, not my head....

Scott
My trailer is an extra 6" tall and the racks are as high as they can be and clear the tires, BUT I bang my head when I bend down under the racks and forget they are there. Oh, was that a rhetorical questions?
Old 05-22-2013 | 03:23 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
My trailer is an extra 6" tall and the racks are as high as they can be and clear the tires, BUT I bang my head when I bend down under the racks and forget they are there. Oh, was that a rhetorical questions?
Hmm. When my car is loaded in the trailer, the tire rack is blocked by the car. When the car is unloaded, I don't use the space under the tire rack so I don't bend over in that area unless I am cleaning the floor.

I have backed into the rack and hit my back. That doesn't feel good....

Scott
Old 05-22-2013 | 06:17 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

I have the shoring beams and love them. They hold 8 wheels and tires...but I still bang my head on them!
Old 01-02-2014 | 07:11 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Reviving an old thread here...

I thought I'd update things, as far as my experiences over the course of a full season with the trailer. To be honest, the rig worked out about as well as I had hoped. I obviously put a lot of time, effort, heart & soul into the beast, so I'm quite pleased. The one area where I did experiment a lot was tire storage. The first thing I tried was the shoring beams, over the hood of the car. Next, I tried stacking them, 4 up, next to the workbench. I finally got an Irvan-Smith cart, custom made to fit one full set of tires on each shelf (the "standard" size fits about 6 tires per shelf). At first, I strapped the cart against the workbench. Then, I got the bright idea that it would fit behind the car, just inside the gate. This actually suited me best, although it is a wee bit of a hassle to get the cart unstrapped and the shoring beams down before the car can be unloaded.

This winter I'll add a short length of e-track to the side walls of the trailer, placed so that the upper shoring beam better aligns with the tire cart, and allows easy/direct strapping to secure it all down tight.

The trailer towed great all season, and it didn't require any maintenance what so ever. I highly recommend TPD for anyone considering an enclosed.
Old 01-02-2014 | 08:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Great thread!
Just today finally I got my 46' ATC 305 build narrowed down enough to put a deposit down to get started on the cat drawings.

15 pages of options but I think I'll get an perfect mixed use work and race trailer..

Airline, E track and storage everywhere, 90' clear including door openings, AC, remote winch, heavy duty overbuild everything, tapered nose with speed bubble. Scary expensive, but plan to keep it forever.

Anyone have any opinions about electric over hydraulic brakes (EOH) vs regular electric brakes? I'm pretty sure my '11 Dodge OEM trailer brake won't work, but they tell me the '14 that will be bought soon, will.
Old 01-02-2014 | 11:45 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Reviving an old thread here...

I thought I'd update things, as far as my experiences over the course of a full season with the trailer. To be honest, the rig worked out about as well as I had hoped. I obviously put a lot of time, effort, heart & soul into the beast, so I'm quite pleased. The one area where I did experiment a lot was tire storage. The first thing I tried was the shoring beams, over the hood of the car. Next, I tried stacking them, 4 up, next to the workbench. I finally got an Irvan-Smith cart, custom made to fit one full set of tires on each shelf (the "standard" size fits about 6 tires per shelf). At first, I strapped the cart against the workbench. Then, I got the bright idea that it would fit behind the car, just inside the gate. This actually suited me best, although it is a wee bit of a hassle to get the cart unstrapped and the shoring beams down before the car can be unloaded.

This winter I'll add a short length of e-track to the side walls of the trailer, placed so that the upper shoring beam better aligns with the tire cart, and allows easy/direct strapping to secure it all down tight.

The trailer towed great all season, and it didn't require any maintenance what so ever. I highly recommend TPD for anyone considering an enclosed.
congrats on a successful trailering year as you know and thanks to you, my new TPD did great its first year as well. i put the tires stacked 4 high on a snaploc dolly discussed earlier in this tread and strap it up against the side of my trailer against the e-track, behind the car. easy to take wheels/tires out with car left in trailer. easy to load. stays secure. works great. i actually had 2 sets of 4 wheels/tires against each wall behind the car, worked great. i'll email you a picture if you want an idea.

other than my roof vent covers flying off driving through those nor cal winds (seattle to thunder hill ) everything was flawless.

Quick Reply: My Trailer Diary