Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 07:11 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by evanevery
How hard do you have to work to FIND a gas pump and then STAND there for 30 minuets to fill it up?

IMHO: The whole point of EV's is NOT having to fuel them at all (other than overnight at home). If I had to find/use public chargers (as some do), I simply wouldn't be buying an EV in the first place...
Hmm, stand there for 30 mins? What kind of gas stations you go to?
Old 12-17-2019, 07:15 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
So what do you all think happens to energy (electric cost) when all these Dow companies aren’t making as much on fossil fuels. You all really think the cost of ownership of an EV is going to stay the same? You cra cra. They have boards to please and when everyone starts using EV and not gas they the share of your pocket will change as well. They need their money.
As powerful as the oil companies are, they can’t fight gravity (aka the overall supply and demand market). They will reduce oil production to reduce oil supply and improve their pricing. They’ll fight regulations as long as possible. But oil demand is going to tank, and you can already see this in their share pricing. Renewables, natural gas, and nuclear place a strict upper bound on how much they can force prices to remain artificially high.

plus there’s going to be a carbon tax. It’s only a matter of time. Even the CEO of Goldman Sachs, not exactly a liberal, called for that today.

this is what OPEC says: https://mfgtalkradio.com/opec-drasti...icle-forecast/
Old 12-17-2019, 07:26 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,940 Likes on 1,918 Posts

drove the Taycan Turbo for an hour and about 40 miles…

here are my thoughts

1. porsche brakes - top notch
2. porsche steering - top notch
3. porsche interior - top notch
4. snug/tight - feels smaller inside than either the Model 3 or the S
5. big car when you're sitting it in - you really feel/see the width
6. in my 1 hour/40 miles of "spirited" driving efficiency was reported as 70.4 kWh/100 miles - I think you could do better with normal driving
7. braking feel and confidence is linears and 100% predictable, but amount of regen for similar levels of braking was variable according to the center dial power indicator (the green bar to the left)
8. there was "heat" in the front brakes after my "test drive" - similar drives with the Tesla and one pedal driving generate less heat in the brakes
9. one pedal driving mode - if you can call it that - has limited decelaration - any serious regen has be engaged with the brake
10. braking is 100% consistent, very pedictable and the car behaves in a stellar fashion - I'd track this car in a heart beat - the amount of control you have as a drive to manage the regen is very limited - I'm reporting this as a fact with out judgement - but I saw variable amounts of regen for similar braking effort - but was always in control of the amount of deceleration - I will speculate this may lead to some reduced efficiency since any heat in the brakes is lost kinetic energy that could've been put into the battery - this results in a 100% predictable and consistent brake effort and outcome.
11. under more calm circumstances regen was more predictable and a greater portion of the deceleration process
12. very very light braking and limited rate of deceleration results in very very limited regeneration according to the gauge on the cluster - I'm willing to speculate this could affect the EPA testing results
13. interior cabin noise is quiet at any speed - much much much less wind noise and road noise than competitive EV's
14. ride quality in normal mode was outstanding and silky smooth.

I wish to express the 100% pleasure and consistency of the braking package Porsche has put together - the brakes are really really stellar and for control and stopping the car there are no better systems on the market - commentary regarding the variability of regen is a factual observation that does not take away from the drivability/predictability of the car under deceleration, but one can not help but conclude the drive has lost some control over the energy flow in the system - limited adjustment of the brake system configuration parameters did not measurably change the outcomes. I'd love more time with a car to learn more. I love my porsche brakes but will miss the level of control I have with one pedal driving to never invoke the friction brakes, knowing I'm recovering as much energy as possible and not turning kinetic energy into waste heat.

If you want a Porsche that happens to be an EV buy with confidence - you will NOT be disappointed
my speculation is that range will be acceptable but still less than competitive products - but in all other aspects this car is a winner.
interior room might be tighter than external dimensions would lead to believe
The following 9 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
acoste (12-17-2019), AlexCeres (12-17-2019), CarMaven (12-18-2019), Der-Schwabe (12-18-2019), evanevery (12-18-2019), Needsdecaf (12-18-2019), Rollep (12-18-2019), TopspeedPT (12-17-2019), whiz944 (12-18-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,868 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
drove the Taycan Turbo for an hour and about 40 miles…

here are my thoughts

1. porsche brakes - top notch
2. porsche steering - top notch
3. porsche interior - top notch
4. snug/tight - feels smaller inside than either the Model 3 or the S
5. big car when you're sitting it in - you really feel/see the width
6. in my 1 hour/40 miles of "spirited" driving efficiency was reported as 70.4 kWh/100 miles - I think you could do better with normal driving
7. braking feel and confidence is linears and 100% predictable, but amount of regen for similar levels of braking was variable according to the center dial power indicator (the green bar to the left)
8. there was "heat" in the front brakes after my "test drive" - similar drives with the Tesla and one pedal driving generate less heat in the brakes
9. one pedal driving mode - if you can call it that - has limited decelaration - any serious regen has be engaged with the brake
10. braking is 100% consistent, very pedictable and the car behaves in a stellar fashion - I'd track this car in a heart beat - the amount of control you have as a drive to manage the regen is very limited - I'm reporting this as a fact with out judgement - but I saw variable amounts of regen for similar braking effort - but was always in control of the amount of deceleration - I will speculate this may lead to some reduced efficiency since any heat in the brakes is lost kinetic energy that could've been put into the battery - this results in a 100% predictable and consistent brake effort and outcome.
11. under more calm circumstances regen was more predictable and a greater portion of the deceleration process
12. very very light braking and limited rate of deceleration results in very very limited regeneration according to the gauge on the cluster - I'm willing to speculate this could affect the EPA testing results
13. interior cabin noise is quiet at any speed - much much much less wind noise and road noise than competitive EV's
14. ride quality in normal mode was outstanding and silky smooth.

I wish to express the 100% pleasure and consistency of the braking package Porsche has put together - the brakes are really really stellar and for control and stopping the car there are no better systems on the market - commentary regarding the variability of regen is a factual observation that does not take away from the drivability/predictability of the car under deceleration, but one can not help but conclude the drive has lost some control over the energy flow in the system - limited adjustment of the brake system configuration parameters did not measurably change the outcomes. I'd love more time with a car to learn more. I love my porsche brakes but will miss the level of control I have with one pedal driving to never invoke the friction brakes, knowing I'm recovering as much energy as possible and not turning kinetic energy into waste heat.

If you want a Porsche that happens to be an EV buy with confidence - you will NOT be disappointed
my speculation is that range will be acceptable but still less than competitive products - but in all other aspects this car is a winner.
interior room might be tighter than external dimensions would lead to believe
Thanks for the write up.

Fair to say that Porsche made a car that happens to be an EV, while Tesla made an EV that happens to be a car?
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (12-18-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I can also confirm an unsurprising but none the less factual result that the Taycan will charge from a TEsla L2 charger just fine with a jdapter https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JD...r-JDPTRSTB.htm

I even tested my shared load 100 amp circult with 3 EV's charging at once with the AMP rate variing during the charging session - the Taycan behaved flawlessly.

Existing Tesla owners with existing Tesla home charging infrastructure can charge their Taycan with the jdapter _NO_ problem based on my testing.
CarMaven (12-18-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:33 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Taycan Turbo in my driveway

Taycan Turbo charging via jdapter from my shared load 100 amp 3 Tesla charger system.

The following 5 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (12-17-2019), CarMaven (12-18-2019), Der-Schwabe (12-18-2019), TopspeedPT (12-17-2019), W8MM (12-18-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:34 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

you're not accounting for how much LESS electricity would be used since you are no longer refining the gasoline - oil refineraries are very very energy/electricity intensive processes - the grid an handle EV's just fine.

to accruately model the impact you have to "recover" the electricity/kwh that the grid is already providing that will now be redirected to EV's rather than producing fuel.
I didn't want to spend the time on an accurate model. Yes, I could exclude refinery, but then I have to add battery manufacturing. Additionally I didn't count with vampire drain either. Sentry mode halves the efficiency of a Tesla. Lots of parameters.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

refinaries are up to 60% of the total load in some grids - it's a big deal - the assertion that the grid can't handle EV's is largely FUD with very little data or modeling to show it's truth.

and given that EV chargers are 30/40 amp home applicaince just like any other number of existing household items (cloths dryers, water heaters, AC units, floor heaters) any who says the grid can't handle EV's is saying the grid can't handle existing home electrical appliances.

and so what? we upgrade the grid which we're going to have to do anyways and then it benefits everyone and everything. It's really really a talking point that needs to die.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
beaudawg (12-18-2019), JB43 (12-23-2019), Rollep (12-18-2019), W8MM (12-18-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:41 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
My calculation is based on the current (2018) gasoline consumption. People don't empty their fuel tank every night.

By the way, some factors will influence this later.
Future cars will be more energy efficient apart from their drivetrain: better air drag, less rolling resistance
However the total miles driven increases every year.
I think you really blew this one. The average BEV is about 3 times more efficient per mile than an ICEV. My 300 miles in a model 3 = about 2 1/2 gallons of gas.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
As powerful as the oil companies are, they can’t fight gravity (aka the overall supply and demand market). They will reduce oil production to reduce oil supply and improve their pricing. They’ll fight regulations as long as possible. But oil demand is going to tank, and you can already see this in their share pricing. Renewables, natural gas, and nuclear place a strict upper bound on how much they can force prices to remain artificially high.

plus there’s going to be a carbon tax. It’s only a matter of time. Even the CEO of Goldman Sachs, not exactly a liberal, called for that today.

this is what OPEC says: https://mfgtalkradio.com/opec-drasti...icle-forecast/
Actually, the smart ones are diversifying into renewables. Research Shell. The know what the future holds.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

I didn't want to spend the time on an accurate model. Yes, I could exclude refinery, but then I have to add battery manufacturing. Additionally I didn't count with vampire drain either. Sentry mode halves the efficiency of a Tesla. Lots of parameters.
Sentry mode halves the efficiency? Based on what? Sentry mode is when you're parked. You can set it to auto shut-off at home or work or wherever you don't think you'll need it.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:47 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

It is not clear to me how that affects efficiency. It possibly depends on the route.

Couple of days ago you posted this link: https://teslaowner.wordpress.com/201...ep-efficiency/
"On steep downhills, energy can be regenerated by running the motor in reverse. But Tesla must have figured out a sweet spot on a less steep grade where the car can continue at speed but can’t really regenerate energy so the software instead turns the motor off."

And from Porsche:
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-pedal-driving
"Cranking up the regeneration (or recuperation, as it tends to say) is not the solution for better efficiency or better performance, said the vice president for the 2020 Taycan product line, Stefan Weckbach."
Old 12-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

There's also the effect of battery storage which can negate the PSC required 20% excess power generation which usually gets recycled (pump water upstream) but at a significant loss of efficiency. That fifth power plant that is intended for peak usage can be decommissioned.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:50 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dyefrog
Sentry mode halves the efficiency? Based on what? Sentry mode is when you're parked. You can set it to auto shut-off at home or work or wherever you don't think you'll need it.
It loses 1+ miles per hour. On average people in the US drive 29 miles per day. If one uses sentry mode all day, 23 x (1+) miles is pretty close to 29.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

It loses 1+ miles per hour. On average people in the US drive 29 miles per day. If one uses sentry mode all day, 23 x (1+) miles is pretty close to 29.
Your logic is really skewed.

First, you're only using sentry mode when parked. Not driving. So unless you have it on all night because you live in an apartment, you're not running it 23 hours a day.

Second that doesn't "halve efficiency". Only in that specific use case would it.
JB43 (12-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles