Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 11:01 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
I didn't want to spend the time on an accurate model. Yes, I could exclude refinery, but then I have to add battery manufacturing. Additionally I didn't count with vampire drain either. Sentry mode halves the efficiency of a Tesla. Lots of parameters.
I can assure you I never got anything close to 600 miles on a full battery before getting sentry mode. Do you have a source?
Old 12-18-2019, 01:08 AM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyefrog
I can assure you I never got anything close to 600 miles on a full battery before getting sentry mode. Do you have a source?
Vampire drain by definition is the power consumed when the device is off and since this energy is lost, has to be recharged unlike with gasoline cars which don't lose any fuel when parked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

Needsdecaf didn't like my 24 hours surveillance although it is a valid scenario as sentry mode can be turned on when charging. But let's calculate with a more common case where one uses it for 10 hours a day and doesn't turn it on at home. That's (29+10)/10 -1 =34.5% extra consumption.

Oil refining needs 132GWh electricity per day. https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp..._dcu_nus_a.htm
That's 1.2% of the total energy consumption (10.81 TWh/day) in 2018.

So the 60% extra electric energy demand is reasonable. Except that future cars will be more efficient as mentioned unless the battery technology evolves to a point where range and battery weight won't be a limiting factor any more.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:33 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Vampire drain by definition is the power consumed when the device is off and since this energy is lost, has to be recharged unlike with gasoline cars which don't lose any fuel when parked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

Needsdecaf didn't like my 24 hours surveillance although it is a valid scenario as sentry mode can be turned on when charging. But let's calculate with a more common case where one uses it for 10 hours a day and doesn't turn it on at home. That's (29+10)/10 -1 =34.5% extra consumption.

Oil refining needs 132GWh electricity per day. https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp..._dcu_nus_a.htm

So the 60% extra electric energy demand is reasonable. Except that future cars will be more efficient as mentioned unless the battery technology evolves to a point where range and battery weight won't be a limiting factor any more.
A quick google search of the Tesla forums concurs, about 1mi range lost per hour of use. It could probably be made a lot more efficient, although I think that’s not bad for 8 video streams. I suspect the motion sensors wakes up the full computer instead of having more specialized hardware.
The following users liked this post:
CarMaven (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 01:44 AM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
A quick google search of the Tesla forums concurs, about 1mi range lost per hour of use. It could probably be made a lot more efficient, although I think that’s not bad for 8 video streams. I suspect the motion sensors wakes up the full computer instead of having more specialized hardware.
Yes.
A Blackvue cam consumes 3.5W (that includes writing on the SD card). Times 8 = 28W. Sentry mode is around 250W.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Dyefrog
Racer

Still full of "holes".
Vast majority of charging is done at home, no sentry
The number of people that create their own electricity from their rooftop, dwarfs those that drill and refine oil in their backyard.
Your 29 in the equation was already dismissed based on 24 hours in the day of which driving is exempt so at best you have 8 hours/day when parked at work and it's on (mine is not).
So to simplify your formula, it's just easier to say sentry mode if on at work would loose 8 miles/day. You can twist and squirm all you want but that is only half in the cherry picked example of driving 16 miles/day/every day/forever.
I suppose if you travel a lot with your Taycan and it's parked at the airport for 2 weeks, it's loosing half it's range also then.
You've really gotten desperate in trying to find something to drag Tesla under the bus for. When you're out of ammunition, just stop. Resorting to ridiculous FUD is embarrassing.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 11:10 AM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Hmm, stand there for 30 mins? What kind of gas stations you go to?
30 mins to "fuel" an EV - NOT an ICE...
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 11:18 AM
evanevery
Racer

Point is...

The grid easily supports existing home charging demands right now... and overnight is the best time to do it.

Internet usage also went up dramatically in most recent years, but providers grew its "grid" to support the increased demand.

The gas station infrastructure will also eventually contract as EV chargers take their place. Just as the Landline phone system contracted as cell phones took their place.

Life goes on...
Old 12-18-2019, 11:22 AM
evanevery
Racer

Vampire drain by definition is the power consumed when the device is off and since this energy is lost, has to be recharged unlike with gasoline cars which don't lose any fuel when parked...
Really? Where do you think the power comes from to recharge the 12v battery used to power virtually the very same parasitic devices (clocks, etc) which are in your ICE? You think all the vampire electronics in your ICE is being powered by magic?
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 12:45 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
So what do you all think happens to energy (electric cost) when all these Dow companies aren’t making as much on fossil fuels. You all really think the cost of ownership of an EV is going to stay the same? You cra cra. They have boards to please and when everyone starts using EV and not gas they the share of your pocket will change as well. They need their money.
Some, like XOM, will see their revenues drop. Others, like the power companies, will see increases. The power companies are generally regulated monopolies - so the rates tend to change slowly. (Here in California I think they get reviewed/raised every three years.) My overnight electric rates are about $0.14/kWh. Maybe a little less because the town I live in is a member of a "Community Choice Aggregation" program which buys less expensive power. Compared to the MB my Tesla replaced, which was somewhere in the 20-25 mpg range, the cost per mile is cheaper with the Tesla by a factor of 4. Plus no more "Service A" and "Service B" maintenance - at several hundred dollars a pop. A lot of places in the U.S., mostly outside of California, have electric rates much lower than $0.14/kWh - so the savings are even greater.

Doesn't bother me a bit to buy electricity from the folks at the local power company (and CCA) vs the oil barons. Plus I generate a lot of my own electricity via my solar system - which further offsets on-going costs.
The following 2 users liked this post by whiz944:
daveo4porsche (12-18-2019), Rollep (12-19-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 12:50 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I didn't want to spend the time on an accurate model. Yes, I could exclude refinery, but then I have to add battery manufacturing.
You are confusing a fixed, one time, cost of battery manufacturing with a variable, ever on-going, cost of fuel production.

Additionally I didn't count with vampire drain either. Sentry mode halves the efficiency of a Tesla. Lots of parameters.
Um, no one forces you to use Sentry Mode. Or cabin overheat protection, or related Dog Mode, for that matter.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:18 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dyefrog
Still full of "holes".
Vast majority of charging is done at home, no sentry
The number of people that create their own electricity from their rooftop, dwarfs those that drill and refine oil in their backyard.
Your 29 in the equation was already dismissed based on 24 hours in the day of which driving is exempt so at best you have 8 hours/day when parked at work and it's on (mine is not).
So to simplify your formula, it's just easier to say sentry mode if on at work would loose 8 miles/day. You can twist and squirm all you want but that is only half in the cherry picked example of driving 16 miles/day/every day/forever.
I suppose if you travel a lot with your Taycan and it's parked at the airport for 2 weeks, it's loosing half it's range also then.
You've really gotten desperate in trying to find something to drag Tesla under the bus for. When you're out of ammunition, just stop. Resorting to ridiculous FUD is embarrassing.
The point was to calculate the extra load on the electric network if all the cars and trucks would switch to batteries. It's not related to Tesla. It's about EVs and it was a calculation with no opinion. Just numbers.

Then I added my opinion about the Sentry mode (after people complained) which is burning way too much power compared to how much work it does. Don't mix these two.
// I work 8 hours, plus one hour lunch plus I usually go somewhere in the evening

A person living in the US drives 29 miles per day on average. I do not understand your complaint about that.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:23 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evanevery
Really? Where do you think the power comes from to recharge the 12v battery used to power virtually the very same parasitic devices (clocks, etc) which are in your ICE? You think all the vampire electronics in your ICE is being powered by magic?
My ICE car has no issues with sitting at the airport for 4-6 weeks. That is a 92Ah * 12V = 1.1kWh. And it has always started so it loses less than 25% of that. This loss equals to 1 hour of sentry mode.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:27 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whiz944
You are confusing a fixed, one time, cost of battery manufacturing with a variable, ever on-going, cost of fuel production.
This one I somewhat agree with, but not really. Current battery manufacturing is very energy intensive. And batteries for 17M cars per year is no joke. Hopefully this will change over time with the dry coating technology.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

The point was to calculate the extra load on the electric network if all the cars and trucks would switch to batteries. It's not related to Tesla. It's about EVs and it was a calculation with no opinion. Just numbers.

Then I added my opinion about the Sentry mode (after people complained) which is burning way too much power compared to how much work it does. Don't mix these two.
// I work 8 hours, plus one hour lunch plus I usually go somewhere in the evening

A person living in the US drives 29 miles per day on average. I do not understand your complaint about that.
Then let's use you for an example and maybe you'll understand my complaint.
How far do you drive to work and back along with the "somewhere in the evening"?
For Sentry Mode to reduce the efficiency in half would require Sentry Mode to be on for half as long in hours compared to driving. So, e.g. you work 12 miles from home and then go back out to dinner 6 miles away, That would be 36 miles. Sentry mode would need to be on for 18 hours that day for it to halve your efficiency based on your numbers.
Any day that you drive more than 46 miles, it would be impossible for Sentry Mode to cut your efficiency in half since it would need to be on for 23 hours leaving you 1 hour to drive 46 miles.
And if you want to take an aggregate example, any road trip where you drive 12 hours and 500 miles would destroy your claim requiring the car to sit idle with sentry mode on for a few days. Who does that? Who parks their car in a shady neighborhood for days on end and not drive it? You're using a special pleading to finesse your example to fit your argument that in real life rarely if ever happens.
You should just leave it as "Sentry Mode uses energy". Some choose to turn it off because of that.
I find it hard to understand why anyone with Sentry Mode that feels the functionality is warranted (shady area) would deem the energy use of 1 mile per hour too high to justify the potential gains. Kind of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:00 PM
evanevery
Racer

My ICE car has no issues with sitting at the airport for 4-6 weeks. That is a 92Ah * 12V = 1.1kWh. And it has always started so it loses less than 25% of that. This loss equals to 1 hour of sentry mode.
Congratulations.

I expect if your ICE "HAD" Sentry Mode it would consume the same. You should also disable the clock in your ICE if you want to save even more power...

So because newer EV's have more OPTIONAL features (which have NOTHING to do with the drivetrain) you want to hold that against them?

Without a deeper battery on your ICE, you couldn't likely even have the OPTION to let it sit at the airport for 4-6 weeks running some sort of sentry mode!
JB43 (12-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles