Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Well said.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Future930
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

100% charging at home overnight is the way to go. I hated getting gas, 5 min every couple days. And always had to get at most inconvenient moments. With EV it’s so easy. If you change at home you will love it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Future930:
daveo4porsche (12-17-2019), JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 01:30 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,780 Likes on 1,846 Posts

charging at home and getting in the car "full" every morning also has very very high spouse approval! my wife loves it - and refuses to go back - she now makes me fill up her boxster while we wait for an EV boxster.
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 02:50 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by SFsoundguy
I test drove the Taycan Turbo today at 98% charge it had a range of 218 thats with 20” wheels so on a 4S with 19” you will get 225 maybe 230 and if you hold it back a bit you might even get 240.

Compared to my MS 90D its a totally different car its tight very tight steering breaking handling all better.

The biggest take away was its a performance car ALL the time It doesn’t even have an Eco mode even in Normal or Range mode its 100% on it’s on full steroids all the time. If you can hold yourself back I think you’ll get the higher range but without a Eco mode to dampen the car down on your behalf who will do that....

I was blown away I’ve had 3 x 911s a C4, Cab & C4S and 2 x Panameras a 4S and a GTS and this car smokes them all.
thanks SFsoundguy. Can you talk a little more about how the steering, braking and handling compared to your other cars ?
Old 12-17-2019, 03:21 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
thanks SFsoundguy. Can you talk a little more about how the steering, braking and handling compared to your other cars ?
Ive been thinking about this its difficult to sum up, in the Tesla for me any way you feel like your sitting on top of the power and its pushes you and you're coming along for the ride. The steering was good and you can adjust the steering stiffness and I liked the handling of the Tesla a lot it is a very fun car to own and drive it had great regen and so for me the breaks where fine.

In the Taycan you feel like your "in" the power "inside" the toque it's weird to explain your part of the car the steering is extremely tight and precise, the body is very stiff yet comfortable, and the breaks are well Porche breaks they are excellent, the connection to the car and in turn to the road is just beautiful.

I've not experienced the Taycan feel and connection to the road with any of my other EVs.
AlexCeres (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 03:27 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by SFsoundguy
Ive been thinking about this its difficult to sum up, in the Tesla for me any way you feel like your sitting on top of the power and its pushes you and you're coming along for the ride. The steering was good and you can adjust the steering stiffness and I liked the handling of the Tesla a lot it is a very fun car to own and drive it had great regen and so for me the breaks where fine.

In the Taycan you feel like your "in" the power "inside" the toque it's weird to explain your part of the car the steering is extremely tight and precise, the body is very stiff yet comfortable, and the breaks are well Porche breaks they are excellent, the connection to the car and in turn to the road is just beautiful.

I've not experienced the Taycan feel and connection to the road with any of my other EVs.
thanks. I’ve liked the model 3 performance, the speed and torque puts my BMW M3 to shame, but the steering and handling feel ... okay. Not good enough for me to be truly delighted. Spoke to my dealer and I’ll get to test drive a taycan next week. :-)
Old 12-17-2019, 05:25 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

As far as worrying about the grid being able to handle millions of EVs charging every day/night, I think that most EV owners will be like my friend who owns a Model S P100D. His daily commute is several miles one way, and he says that he only bothers to plug in (in his garage) once or twice a week, to top off. Even those BEV owners who "top off" every night at home are usually not using much electricity because most still have well over half a full charge left after a normal day of driving. My friend also can now (as of this year) plug in at work also, and he does that because it is free for him and gives him a nice parking spot, and it lessens the need to plug in at home. He and his wife have a summer home that they go to many weekends in his Model S, about a hundred miles away. He can plug in there also, so he has never used a public charging station in a couple years of ownership. (Like perhaps most Model S owners -- and owners generally of $100k+ cars -- when they go further than 200 miles from home, they fly, but his wife has an ICEV if they ever need to drive beyond the range of the Model S. Somebody above mentioned that 70% of BEV owners never use public chargers; I'd like to see statistics on how often, and how many, BEV owners do use public chargers, as I'd bet that 5% or less use them often. I think that BEV manufacturers/sellers need to focus in their education more on getting people to buy BEV as a second, or third, car for use locally, rather than as an only car -- in this early state of BEV adoption. BEVs are a great option for the vast majority of the population that can charge at home at night and who have an ICEV for longer road trips.)
Old 12-17-2019, 05:49 PM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Generally, "the grid" is significantly under-utilized at night. Both homes and businesses draw less power at night. (Businesses especially so). There generally is plenty of capacity for EV charging at night.

In any case, our utilities have grown to accept more demand over time. The electrical system, phone system, and especially cable/internet capacity have all been substantially increased to keep up with requirements. None of this is static. There is plenty of capacity nationwide for EV charging at night and the utilities will grow to support increased demand. Its all about making money.

...and Tesla officially recommends keeping their vehicles plugged in constantly even if they don't need to be topped off. I have always been told that "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla". I believe your Tesla-owning friend who only occasionally plugs in his car at night is an outlier of convention.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:24 PM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To the topic of people only caring about being able to “fill” their car in 5 mins. I spend all of 5 mins per month, of my life, charging my Model S. It takes me literally 5 seconds to plug it in and 5 seconds to unplug. Also often when people say it only take 5 mins to gas up their car, they are only counting the time standing at the pump. They don’t factor in the times they have to wait in line.

As for the grid not being able to handle the power draw of everyone charging, most people are charging towards the end of the day and at night when the grid is underutilized anyways. Are there mass blackouts on the weekends when everyone is doing laundry? The amperage draw my Model S pulls is basically the same as a standard household dryer and typically my car is done charging in under a hour.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:32 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Just a theoretical calculation.
Here is how much electric power increase would be necessary if everyone switched to EV and all gasoline+diesel would be replaced by electricity in the US (2018)
Daily gasoline and diesel needs: 10.3M and 5.17M barrels. That equals to 24.37 TWh/day
Assuming that they are used with 20% efficiency in the ICE engines = 4.87 TWh/day
And EVs with 85% efficiency would need 6.1 TWh/day.

Total current electricity consumption in the US on average: 10.81 TWh/day. So the electric network would need to deliver 60% more energy.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:44 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 740 Likes on 403 Posts

So what do you all think happens to energy (electric cost) when all these Dow companies aren’t making as much on fossil fuels. You all really think the cost of ownership of an EV is going to stay the same? You cra cra. They have boards to please and when everyone starts using EV and not gas they the share of your pocket will change as well. They need their money.
CarMaven (12-18-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:45 PM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Just a theoretical calculation.
Here is how much electric power increase would be necessary if everyone switched to EV and all gasoline+diesel would be replaced by electricity in the US (2018)
Daily gasoline and diesel needs: 10.3M and 5.17M barrels. That equals to 24.37 TWh/day
Assuming that they are used with 20% efficiency in the ICE engines = 4.87 TWh/day
And EVs with 85% efficiency would need 6.1 TWh/day.

Total current electricity consumption in the US on average: 10.81 TWh/day. So the electric network would need to deliver 60% more energy.
Are you assuming that all EV users are charging their EV's from completely empty to 100% EVERY NIGHT? Cause that's not even CLOSE to being accurate!
Old 12-17-2019, 06:54 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by evanevery
Are you assuming that all EV users are charging their EV's from completely empty to 100% EVERY NIGHT? Cause that's not even CLOSE to being accurate!
My calculation is based on the current (2018) gasoline consumption. People don't empty their fuel tank every night.

By the way, some factors will influence this later.
Future cars will be more energy efficient apart from their drivetrain: better air drag, less rolling resistance
However the total miles driven increases every year.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:08 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by acoste
you're not accounting for how much LESS electricity would be used since you are no longer refining the gasoline - oil refineraries are very very energy/electricity intensive processes - the grid an handle EV's just fine.

to accruately model the impact you have to "recover" the electricity/kwh that the grid is already providing that will now be redirected to EV's rather than producing fuel.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 12-17-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the average daily load for an EV is 15-20 kWh per day.

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles