Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 12:26 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
What is so ridiculous about Tesla EV discussions is when people bring up asinine corner cases like 3000 mile cross country trips.
OK, although I don’t agree with your comment, I took a 750 mile trip in my EV over thanksgiving. Easy peasy in my MSLR, not so much in an Audi EV or Porsche Taycan for that matter. So I’m trying to understand your point. If you want a car from VAG for long trips, then get a gas Audi or Porsche, that’s fine, but also get another car for around town if that’s what you want for your share in saving the planet. I want ONE car that can do both. My 911 is for fun ONLY. My MSLR is for around town and for long trips. Maybe my problem is perhaps I miss the point of the Taycan, and believe me I’m trying.

It is stunning on how many people defend a brand when the brand does not have a multi mission EV. I don’t defend Tesla (at times they seem f-ed up for sure), and I don’t defend Porsche. I bought both cars for the mission.
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 12:39 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
O? Lots do. I once drove from Virginia to Seattle. What is your point? Jesus.
where your idea of “lots” is “almost none”. The average trip length is 30mi. 3000mi is more than most people drive in 3 months. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...91261516309067

for trips > 200mi, I fly. Sorry, life too short, kids, cross country road trips just out. And most American fly cross country now too.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:19 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
where your idea of “lots” is “almost none”. The average trip length is 30mi. 3000mi is more than most people drive in 3 months. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...91261516309067

for trips > 200mi, I fly. Sorry, life too short, kids, cross country road trips just out. And most American fly cross country now too.
Ok then, let’s drop the premise from 3,000 miles to 800 miles. That trip happens all the time, at least for most of the people I know. The VAG vehicles can’t make this trip, at least not in a day, and in some cases not at all.

You are totally missing my point. One day VAG EV’s might be the one we all clamor for. But not today. Their efficiency and charging network are both abysmal. I hope that changes as I really like the brand and will buy one when the vehicle meets the mission. I’ll be happy to say adios to Tesla's poor fit and finish. But the performance of the Tesla in terms of range and charging network can’t be beat at the moment.

I am out of this thread. Nite all!
Old 12-21-2019, 01:26 AM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

800 mile trip...That trip happens all the time, at least for most of the people I know. The VAG vehicles can’t make this trip, at least not in a day, and in some cases not at all.

But the performance of the Tesla in terms of range and charging network can’t be beat at the moment.
ll!
a lot of VAG vehicles can do 800 miles in a day and may only need at most two 5 minute stops at the gas station. A Tesla can’t beat that.

when you say happens all the time and refer to a one day trip, are you saying the people you know travel 800 miles a day every day (eg all the time).

The performance of a Tesla “in terms of range and charging stations” can be easily beat by a $20k Toyota Corolla.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:29 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

I said I was gone, but just put picked up on this. You fly for any trip over 200 miles? Really? Do you own a Gulfstream? S** , for a 250 mile trip, by the time I drove to the airport, struggled with TSA, waited for the late airplane, arrived at my destination and then got my rental car, I could have driven and be in the hotel room enjoying some n**kie. You live on a different planet than I do.

Now it’s time to say ‘nite.
The following 3 users liked this post by flickroll:
Class5Kayaker (12-23-2019), JB43 (12-23-2019), whiz944 (12-22-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 01:29 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
a lot of VAG vehicles can do 800 miles in a day and may only need at most two 5 minute stops at the gas station. A Tesla can’t beat that.

when you say happens all the time and refer to a one day trip, are you saying the people you know travel 800 miles a day every day (eg all the time).

The performance of a Tesla “in terms of range and charging stations” can be easily beat by a $20k Toyota Corolla.
LOL, where, not in my parts. You’ll be lucky to find an Electrifyamerica station that works, and dude, we are talking about BEV’s not Toyota’s. If I want to take on your argument, I’ll buy a motorcycle with a sidecar for my wife.

Wow, just wow.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:19 AM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

LOL, where, not in my parts. You’ll be lucky to find an Electrifyamerica station that works, and dude, we are talking about BEV’s not Toyota’s. If I want to take on your argument, I’ll buy a motorcycle with a sidecar for my wife.

Wow, just wow.
If there are enough charging stations, road trips aren't an issue. Here is the result of Tesla Bjorn's 1000km challenge: Audi 10 minutes behind the Model 3 and same time as Model X.

AlexCeres (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 02:53 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I said I was gone, but just put picked up on this. You fly for any trip over 200 miles? Really? Do you own a Gulfstream? S** , for a 250 mile trip, by the time I drove to the airport, struggled with TSA, waited for the late airplane, arrived at my destination and then got my rental car, I could have driven and be in the hotel room enjoying some n**kie. You live on a different planet than I do.

Now it’s time to say ‘nite.
... it’s called SouthWest, and it’ll take me to LA or Vegas for less than half the cost in gas alone of my ice car. 200mi radius covers a lot, and most urban destinations across the country are cheaper to reach by airplane. The flight itself will be at least 5x faster. Nobody drives to the airport anymore when they can Uber and skip the total rip off that is airport parking lots. TSA is a bitch, alas.

Even by EPA estimates, a taycan will clear 300mi with a single 20 minute DC charge. For most people and most car trips, this is plenty. For Porsche owners, who almost all have another car in the household, it’s fine. That you don’t want it has nothing to do with what’s possible or what most people use cars for.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:10 AM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Taycan and the Audi at the present are house frau cars. If you can charge either at home they’re great. But try taking one on a trip from Boston to San Diego. If you do, send a message to me and tell me how many flatbeds you had to call.
If long-distance road-tripping is the criterion, any of the German 3l turbo-diesels beats the snot out of any EV, and will for a while. Cruise at at an easy 90-100mph all the day long (in Europe), with 600+ miles per tank. But strangely, I've never been tempted to make the trip to the West Coast by car.

One would presume that anyone who can figure out how to fund a Taycan can also decide whether range/charging options work for their use-case or not. If you can have only one (family) car and plan regular 3000 mile road trips, a Taycan may not be not your best bet. For most, this is a complete straw man.
AlexCeres (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 07:51 AM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

When you get one in your hands, could be possible, PlugShare app, might be a cool challenge

Old 12-21-2019, 01:21 PM
BrassFactory
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Charging

Not that ElectrifyAmerica has anything to do with Toyota, but...

In Southern California, land of the EV, there are a plethora of charging stations! Even without ElectrifyAmerica, which will be free to Porsche Taycan owners, there are DC chargers everywhere. They are not broken, they are not full, they really are easy to use. Download the Chargepoint app if you have doubts.

ElectrifyAmerica will be a great network in a year or two and you can be sure it will produce because it’s court mandated under Dieselgate.

About 15% of the folks I work with have plugin hybrids if not EVs. It’s a sea change from five years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrassFactory:
AlexCeres (12-21-2019), Rollep (12-22-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 02:03 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

... it’s called SouthWest, and it’ll take me to LA or Vegas for less than half the cost in gas alone of my ice car. 200mi radius covers a lot, and most urban destinations across the country are cheaper to reach by airplane. The flight itself will be at least 5x faster. Nobody drives to the airport anymore when they can Uber and skip the total rip off that is airport parking lots. TSA is a bitch, alas.

Even by EPA estimates, a taycan will clear 300mi with a single 20 minute DC charge. For most people and most car trips, this is plenty. For Porsche owners, who almost all have another car in the household, it’s fine. That you don’t want it has nothing to do with what’s possible or what most people use cars for.
So flying in a cattle car and sitting in an airport after being groped by minimum wage earners is better to you than a 3 hour drive? How long did you wait for the uber? How long to get to the airport? How early were you there? How long did it take to get off the plane and get your baggage? How long to get your uber to pick you up? How long for the uber to take you to your destination?

My car wouldn't even burn a tank of fuel in 3 hours. Unless you're purchasing the cheapest southwest fare way in advance you're definitely not saving money. Further, a second passenger doubles your price.

Unless you own the plane and are flying for pleasure - flying is for destinations longer than 5 or 6 hour drives.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
The only difference is instead of pushing on two pedals, you push and lift on one. How difficult can it be?
A lot fo simple things are actually hard for your fellow Americans.

Look around parking lots, how hard it is to place a car within 2 white lines? Lots of people can't even do that.

Stay right unless passing on highway, simple enough, how many are doing it?

Red lights means stop. Yet many runs them.

Paying attention to the road when engaging Tesla's autopilot, how many accidents happened already cause the driver isn't?

And my favourite, flat Earth.

cpd1 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by BrassFactory
Not that ElectrifyAmerica has anything to do with Toyota, but...

In Southern California, land of the EV, there are a plethora of charging stations! Even without ElectrifyAmerica, which will be free to Porsche Taycan owners, there are DC chargers everywhere. They are not broken, they are not full, they really are easy to use. Download the Chargepoint app if you have doubts.

ElectrifyAmerica will be a great network in a year or two and you can be sure it will produce because it’s court mandated under Dieselgate.

About 15% of the folks I work with have plugin hybrids if not EVs. It’s a sea change from five years ago.
Matt Farrah had a Taycan recently and also an iPace a few months ago. He reported major issues finding public charging. He lives in Venice and works in Playa. Should have had a much easier time. When he has the Taycan, he noted that the one EA location he went to had only two High speed chargers...and one was broken.

We definitely have a ways to go.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 06:43 PM
BrassFactory
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Matt Farrah had a Taycan recently and also an iPace a few months ago. He reported major issues finding public charging. He lives in Venice and works in Playa. Should have had a much easier time. When he has the Taycan, he noted that the one EA location he went to had only two High speed chargers...and one was broken.

We definitely have a ways to go.
We have a ways to go for sure!

That’s why I mention ChargePoint. They have 5 locations within 10 miles of him. There are more close to downtown. EA has a lot of planned locations, but as many of their deals are with Walmart, the west side will suffer a bit.

For me public charging is for trips. With a usual 200 mile charge I’ve never used a public charger between work and home except as an excuse to get a good parking space.

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles