Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 09:37 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

I test drove the Taycan Turbo today at 98% charge it had a range of 218 thats with 20” wheels so on a 4S with 19” you will get 225 maybe 230 and if you hold it back a bit you might even get 240.

Compared to my MS 90D its a totally different car its tight very tight steering breaking handling all better.

The biggest take away was its a performance car ALL the time It doesn’t even have an Eco mode even in Normal or Range mode its 100% on it’s on full steroids all the time. If you can hold yourself back I think you’ll get the higher range but without a Eco mode to dampen the car down on your behalf who will do that....

I was blown away I’ve had 3 x 911s a C4, Cab & C4S and 2 x Panameras a 4S and a GTS and this car smokes them all.

Build quality is superb, excellent fit and finish. They still seem to be working out some of the details on the displays and we noticed some of the displays are actually larger than the screen size so the home page needed to be scrolled down half an inch to select the bottom row.
But its a demo car and apparently not a final release car....

Seats and seating position is excellent and visibility is pretty darn good too

I noticed this one has a manual charge port cover and to be honest after owning 5 EVs its a really nice charge port as Standard the motorized one is what I’m adding as an option but the base it very good nearly ideal

One test drive and I’m hooked so be warned!!

Last edited by SFsoundguy; 12-16-2019 at 10:14 PM.
The following 13 users liked this post by SFsoundguy:
acoste (12-16-2019), AlexCeres (12-17-2019), Bob Roberts (12-16-2019), CarMaven (12-17-2019), Cpoarchy (12-16-2019), daveo4porsche (12-16-2019), Der-Schwabe (12-17-2019), evanevery (12-17-2019), Garydose (12-17-2019), Needsdecaf (12-17-2019), Rollep (12-17-2019), TopspeedPT (12-17-2019), Wilsontour (12-16-2019) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-16-2019, 10:04 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

Sfsoundguy - did you happen to get any pics?
Old 12-16-2019, 10:09 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cpoarchy
Sfsoundguy - did you happen to get any pics?
just added them.
The following users liked this post:
FredinNY (12-16-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:13 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
spoken like the true common EV buyer!

the difference again is that a gasoline car can be recharged in like 5 minutes.

but the 200 mile range of the Taycan will not prevent Porsche from selling the 40,000 units it plans to make - here is hoping to future platforms that close the gap between Porsche and the rest of the EV industry.
That's exactly why the average Joe doesn't care how long a 'tank' goes. They only care how fast can the 'tank' be refilled. 10 minutes would be the tipping point. 400V won't get you there, 800V maybe.

Sooner or later Tesla has to go 800V, they can't increase the amperage high enough to support 10 min recharge.

And before anyone else say something like mileage per minute which Tesla has the edge, the average buyers seriously don't care, they only care about full vs empty. The math is too complicated to them.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:37 AM
Future930
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SFsoundguy
I test drove the Taycan Turbo today at 98% charge it had a range of 218 thats with 20” wheels so on a 4S with 19” you will get 225 maybe 230 and if you hold it back a bit you might even get 240.

Compared to my MS 90D its a totally different car its tight very tight steering breaking handling all better.

The biggest take away was its a performance car ALL the time It doesn’t even have an Eco mode even in Normal or Range mode its 100% on it’s on full steroids all the time. If you can hold yourself back I think you’ll get the higher range but without a Eco mode to dampen the car down on your behalf who will do that....

I was blown away I’ve had 3 x 911s a C4, Cab & C4S and 2 x Panameras a 4S and a GTS and this car smokes them all.

Build quality is superb, excellent fit and finish. They still seem to be working out some of the details on the displays and we noticed some of the displays are actually larger than the screen size so the home page needed to be scrolled down half an inch to select the bottom row.
But its a demo car and apparently not a final release car....

Seats and seating position is excellent and visibility is pretty darn good too

I noticed this one has a manual charge port cover and to be honest after owning 5 EVs its a really nice charge port as Standard the motorized one is what I’m adding as an option but the base it very good nearly ideal

At 98% did you get full regen?
Old 12-17-2019, 02:19 AM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Not that I could tell if there is any regen it’s very very subtle when switched ON and the car only has a single on / off option in the settings menu. It also creeps and there seems to be no option to turn Creep OFF either
Old 12-17-2019, 02:42 AM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

This car has a subtle regen in "one pedal driving" mode. Full regen comes only when pressing the brakes. And full regen is 265kW, I expect that this number can't be reached at higher SoC.
If the battery settings are the same as the E-Tron, it could regen at around 50kW when fully charged (depends on battery temp as well). 50kW equals 67horsepower. So the regen at full charge feels like accelerating (decelerating) a 5000lbs car with 67 hp.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

That's quite the change of heart from "I am a pissed off Drama Queen one that’s pissed off at Porsche for fu$&*ng up their perfect opportunity to enter the EV arena!"
Walt L (12-22-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
- don't want to challenge their ICE models, (ok this one I don't believe in)
Actually, this one is the one that I MOST believe in.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Meh, that's likely based on recent consumption. I wouldn't read into it too much.

Hehehe, this is completely unsurprising.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:08 AM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Porsche didn't make the Taycan for you...
Well, then they must have miscalculated. Cause I am purchasing one...
CarMaven (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 10:14 AM
evanevery
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
Thanks for the advice!! I will be VERY careful. Thanks for CAPITALIZING "VERY" otherwise I may have missed it and only been "careful" instead of "VERY careful".

First off, you need to be VERY careful to use numbers like 40 miles. A quick CAREFUL search using google (try it, it is free!) shows the average commute in the US is 32 miles, in Europe, it is almost half that.

If that is your average commute to work, I am really not sure of how you would do 5x that during any given day even if you have kids and go the movies and need to stop by Wawa for some groceries. How would people have time to commute 32 miles, put in a full day at work, go to the bathroom and still drive another 168 miles that day? I imagine that is certainly possible and for those outliers, they can buy a Corolla since that has more than enough range, as long as they are VERY careful to make sure they fill up the tank before doing all that.
I didn't put the "40 mile" number out there. You did! I was just replying to your posting (quoted (#364))... But thanks anyway!

You should also be VERY careful about what you are accusing other people of!

Old 12-17-2019, 10:19 AM
evanevery
Racer

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Jesus! You will never survive a 200km range of a V12 Ferrari None of my 5 Ferraris can do more than 200km a tank driving in the city.
How hard do you have to work to FIND a gas pump and then STAND there for 30 minuets to fill it up?

IMHO: The whole point of EV's is NOT having to fuel them at all (other than overnight at home). If I had to find/use public chargers (as some do), I simply wouldn't be buying an EV in the first place...
The following 5 users liked this post by evanevery:
4pipes (12-17-2019), daveo4porsche (12-17-2019), JB43 (12-23-2019), jjinwood1 (12-17-2019), RonF (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:35 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cloudplay
That's quite the change of heart from "I am a pissed off Drama Queen one that’s pissed off at Porsche for fu$&*ng up their perfect opportunity to enter the EV arena!"

Yes indeed it is. After driving the car in person I'm confident I'll achieve the minimum mile range I need on my day trips north which is 220 and so I'm OK with Gen 1 it's so much fun to drive
I still wish it did 300 miles, had selectable regen levels as I've just got used to having it and an ECO mode to save energy and for those reasons I'll lease the first Gen version and run it at 100%
Old 12-17-2019, 01:01 PM
evanevery
Racer

I think its important for us to recognize that there appears to be two basic kinds of EV owners:

1. Those who can charge at Home: For folks who can charge at home, the range of the vehicle needs to meet their "longest" average daily driving range. Simply charge the car at night and drive it "around town" all day. Done. EV charging is done on a daily/highly basis.

2. Those who can NOT charge at home: For those who can not charge at home, then convenient access to a charging infrastructure is obviously important. EV charging is done "as needed".

So maybe, there is cause to discuss two types of charging infrastructure as well:

1. Public Charging Infrastructure: This is pretty much what everyone has been taught to think about when we discuss the charging infrastructure in general. Publicly accessible charging points at dedicated locations, shopping malls, supermarkets, theaters etc. You charge when/where you can (or as convenient).

2. Private Charging Infrastructure: A Private Charging infrastructure could be just as convenient as the ability to charge at home. This would not only be private chargers set up at apartments and condos, but also at work locations by employers. It probably doesn't matter much if you get your "daily charge" at home or work as long as you can get a days worth of range in 8 hours or less. I am a relatively small employer and we have already implemented EV charging points for employees. If employees can not charge at home, they can charge here at our office (for free).

For me, I'm not interested in Public charging at all. If I can get my daily charge at one end of my commute or the other (while I sleep or while I work (or while I sleep at work :-)) then I'm happy. The range of my EV also needs to be long enough that I can meet this requirement by charging only once a day.

I drive EV's because they are actually MUCH more convenient than ICE powered vehicles. If I had to use and wait for public chargers then I would not be doing this. Public Chargers certainly make it possible for folks without home chargers to use an EV, but Private Chargers could actually make it convenient!

$0.02
The following 2 users liked this post by evanevery:
daveo4porsche (12-17-2019), MM3.9GT3 (12-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles