Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 06:11 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SFsoundguy
Let me reconfirm this tomorrow after a 100% charge

FYI: Just to put everything in perspective currently Im charging the eTron to 100% and in the bay area at 55 degrees I'm getting 166 miles of range on a full charge.
Ok. Yes, pretty low unfortunately. I still haven't figured it out why so low. Anything I read about its technical details does not explain the difference between this car and the preraven Model X. One think I haven't figured out yet is how much is the non-drive related consumption and the cooling system's consumption.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:39 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Ok. Yes, pretty low unfortunately. I still haven't figured it out why so low. Anything I read about its technical details does not explain the difference between this car and the preraven Model X. One think I haven't figured out yet is how much is the non-drive related consumption and the cooling system's consumption.
I do have the Edition One with the 21" so I know out the gate I'll get less range but I agree its pretty terrible. I also wonder what the Taycan 4S with the large power train on 19" will get on the EPA should be 210 - 220
Old 12-13-2019, 08:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,940 Likes on 1,918 Posts

In range mode the Model S & Model X will "Torque Sleep" the more expensive motor and "wake it up" only when it's power is required - Tesla engineers I've talked to says this is good for 4-7% range enhancement when cruising at steady speed - I've haven't heard if the Taycan has a similar feature.

it might another one of those "small" wins that add up to bigger wins when taken all together.

https://teslaowner.wordpress.com/201...ep-efficiency/
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 09:04 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Hmm, a strong NO to that.

I have a EV, a e-Tron. It has less range than any Teslas, but does it matter? No an iota. A full charge in the Audi last me 3 weeks. I only use 6% charge a day. So right now the extra range is over kill already.

EV are city cars, great for driving inside the city. IF I want to go farther, I have hybrids and normal cars for that purpose. Proper tools for proper job. You don't take a 911 to go to Home Depot to pick 4x8s, you take van or a pickup. And as I have said before, you don't use a chainsaw to cut a roast either. In hybrid mode my Panamera Turbo S will do over 750km per tank. No EV can match that. Takes me 5 minutes to go another 750km. How long it takes for even a Tesla to do 1500km in eluding charge time again? Heck even my 918 can do 700+km a tank.

Fortunately the proof is in the pudding, it will only take a week after the first dozen or so owners receive their Taycans to work out what the actual real world range will be....
Old 12-13-2019, 09:13 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

I have a EV, a e-Tron. It has less range than any Teslas, but does it matter? No an iota. A full charge in the Audi last me 3 weeks. I only use 6% charge a day. So right now the extra range is over kill already.

EV are city cars, great for driving inside the city. IF I want to go farther, I have hybrids and normal cars for that purpose. Proper tools for proper job. You don't take a 911 to go to Home Depot to pick 4x8s, you take van or a pickup. And as I have said before, you don't use a chainsaw to cut a roast either. In hybrid mode my Panamera Turbo S will do over 750km per tank. No EV can match that. Takes me 5 minutes to go another 750km. How long it takes for even a Tesla to do 1500km in eluding charge time again? Heck even my 918 can do 700+km a tank.

Dude, that's because you have like ten cars. Why would you care about the range of one of your ten vehicles?

If Porsche is planning on selling the Taycan to the 0.01%, then yes, it's just a flashy toy and who cares about range. But if they are trying to attract someone who makes $300k - $500k a year, drives two moderately expensive cars (one being the Taycan) and wants the use the car on road trips, they missed the boat. This car is no Panamera or Model S competitor in terms of luxury and EV practicality. I sold my GT3 and bought my Panamera to have a family car that was sporty, fun to drive, and could haul three kids in a road trip into the mountains. I was hoping Taycan could do the same. My wife's Model X is capable of that. But the Taycan looks to fall short. If I'm going to go back to some toy for around town without the kids, I'm getting another GT3.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 09:48 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by manitou202
Dude, that's because you have like ten cars. Why would you care about the range of one of your ten vehicles?

If Porsche is planning on selling the Taycan to the 0.01%, then yes, it's just a flashy toy and who cares about range. But if they are trying to attract someone who makes $300k - $500k a year, drives two moderately expensive cars (one being the Taycan) and wants the use the car on road trips, they missed the boat. This car is no Panamera or Model S competitor in terms of luxury and EV practicality. I sold my GT3 and bought my Panamera to have a family car that was sporty, fun to drive, and could haul three kids in a road trip into the mountains. I was hoping Taycan could do the same. My wife's Model X is capable of that. But the Taycan looks to fall short. If I'm going to go back to some toy for around town without the kids, I'm getting another GT3.

I agree with you. There are plenty of other options with better ROI. Porsche a reputable company originally stated 300 miles then adjusted that over the corse of a year to 250 - 270 and ended up at 201. The EV world is the new frontier especially for those of us who are trying to go EV only. I’d love a GT3 but I will not buy another ICE. I was really looking forward to long happy days on the back roads of north California something you just can’t do today not without a stop for a few hours of recharge on a 50 or 100 Kilowatt charger Yes it will all get better and in a few years having a car that dose 200 miles will not matter when you can charge it anywhere in 22 minutes but today in reality it’s 2.5 hours and that’s just to get to 80% sooo I guess Bob Roberts was right I am a pissed off Drama Queen one that’s pissed off at Porsche for fu$&*ng up their perfect opportunity to enter the EV arena!
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:01 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

sooo I guess Bob Roberts was right I am a pissed off Drama Queen one that’s pissed off at Porsche for fu$&*ng up their perfect opportunity to enter the EV arena!
Well, that was refreshing (although I didn't say pissed off ). Seriously refreshing.

anyways, I wish it was also more, but mainly for potential resale purposes. But I am still buying since it more than meets my needs and I expect I will enjoy the heck out of it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Roberts:
AlexCeres (12-14-2019), SFsoundguy (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:07 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
All of this has me thinking that Porsche should have stuck with what they are good add. Building a two seater sports car. Their first EV should have been the electric Boxster/Cayman. No one would have cared about range and efficiency. They probably could have made it less luxurious and lighter weight, using a smaller battery pack and therefore offered it for a lower cost as well. This would have been a better introduction and allowed them to work out the efficiency stuff over time. The Taycan crosses too much into the everyday driver market and this is where the range will really hurt it. Combine that with the ****ty charging infrastructure structure (read the article about charging issues with the E-tron) and they are setting themselves up for a lot of pissed off customers.
neither the technology nor the customer demand exist for this yet. Porsche talked about this in one of the interviews last spring. They need the taycan to blaze the trail on infrastructure and technology investments for their joint Porsche / Audi products and really the entire VW group.

even Tesla has this product at 3x your price point and back burnered until 2021 or later.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:09 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
In range mode the Model S & Model X will "Torque Sleep" the more expensive motor and "wake it up" only when it's power is required - Tesla engineers I've talked to says this is good for 4-7% range enhancement when cruising at steady speed - I've haven't heard if the Taycan has a similar feature.

it might another one of those "small" wins that add up to bigger wins when taken all together.

Most dual motor EVs have this torque splitting based on efficiency. Mercedes EQC has a display mode where the driver can follow it. One motor is tuned for cruising, good efficiency at low torque. The other motor is tuned for high torque.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:10 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I kind of wish VAG would just buy Tesla - that would solve Tesla's manufacturing problems and VAGs range challenges.
folks have tried to, but Elon won’t step down and nobody else can tolerate working with Elon for any amount of money.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:12 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
Well, that was refreshing (although I didn't say pissed off ). Seriously refreshing.

anyways, I wish it was also more, but mainly for potential resale purposes. But I am still buying since it more than meets my needs and I expect I will enjoy the heck out of it.
I will wait to see the EPA & real world on the 4S on 19s if it’s 250 I’m in. Amazing what that extra 49 miles can relieve in recharging pain!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:35 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I will wait to see the EPA & real world on the 4S on 19s if it’s 250 I’m in. Amazing what that extra 49 miles can relieve in recharging pain!
I expect you will get a split decision. EPA poking around 210, unless they actually make changes to the buffer, but real world "reasonably normal" driving at 250. Last comment just based on some of the video reviews that were posted on the Turbo.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:22 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,868 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Does range matters when a Taycan can do this? Taycan is a proper Porsche period.

A Corolla has a longer range than a 911, think any 911 owner cared?

I have to agree with @Whoopsy here, even though I was admittedly a doubter initially.

I just spent an afternoon at my local Porsche dealer with nothing related to the Taycan, or really the purchase of any Porsche -- either anEV, ICE, or some combo of both.

Spoke with both the SGM and the GM and both said unequivocally that none of their Taycan customers have pulled deposits since the (1) the price came out or (2) when the EPA numbers came out yesterday. They also informed me that none of their customers, with a few exceptions (less than maybe 10) were worried about total range when making their initial deposits. The most common questions were, in no particular order, (i) can I do ED with the Taycan; (ii) are there federal / state rebates; (iii) can I use the HOV lanes while driving alone; (iv) do I have to pay for charging at Porsche charging network; (v) is PTS available; (vi) how fast is 0-60 and can it beat the Model S in ludicrous mode; (vii) what's the 'Ring time.

Seems like the typical Taycan customer cares more about the badging than the car's utilitarian, uhm, utility.

I have no skin in the game, and they (the SGM and GM) had no skin in the game to sell me a Taycan (or really any car).

Just passing along info.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (12-14-2019), Der-Schwabe (12-14-2019), JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 02:33 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

To the Porsche owners in this thread - have any of you purchased a Porsche sports car on the basis of its EPA rating?
Old 12-14-2019, 03:05 AM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

I believe it's this and a lot of other little things Tesla learned over the years. A couple percent here, a couple percent there they all add up. Porsche/VAG would not be the laughing stock if they weren't so arrogantly implying making (good) EV is easy since they have decades of automaking experiences. It's not the same.
JB43 (12-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles