Sponsored by:

Taycan Reviews and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 05:58 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Early on, I didn't realize nearly all the critics in this forum are Tesla Model 3 owners.

With so many Model 3 owners here, is it true the Model 3 doesn't get anywhere near its stated range? Everything I've heard is that most drivers are getting maybe 70% of Tesla's claims. Is this true? I'm not referring to uphill driving... just normal, everyday range. I've never driven a Model 3 so I'm not sure.

What a surprise that most of the Taycan critics are eV enthusiasts who own the most popular selling EV in existence - one that still appears to be significantly more advanced from a tech standpoint. You know what else ALL the critics currently have in common? None of them own a Taycan!

The new Gigafactory - whether using LG Chem cells or not - won't be making pouch-type Bolt batteries. ...but hey - great comparison
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Early on, I didn't realize nearly all the critics in this forum are Tesla Model 3 owners.

With so many Model 3 owners here, is it true the Model 3 doesn't get anywhere near its stated range? Everything I've heard is that most drivers are getting maybe 70% of Tesla's claims. Is this true? I'm not referring to uphill driving... just normal, everyday range. I've never driven a Model 3 so I'm not sure.
Like anything else, it's all in how you drive it. EPA rating is at 240 Wh/mile in the Tesla. Drive that and you get the range. Simple. My commute to work is about 35 miles there. I average about 260 Wh/mile because I have a little, but not a lot, of highway at speed.

Coming home I have a lot of highway, some at 80 MPH. Speed kills efficiency in an EV. My average home is about 295 Wh/ mile. On a highway road trip at a constant 80, I'm averaging 300, which is about 220 miles range.

This is true of any EV. That's why a "rated" WLTP range of a Taycan at 250 miles is pretty shocking. Real word use will be far lower. Remember, the Taycan's battery only holds less energy than 3 gallons of gas.
daveo4porsche (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

it's all in how you drive it - make it go as fast as a Taycan and you won't get the rated rated range - make it go slower and you can go do better than the rated range. the fact that EV's rated range (all EV's) is hard to achieve is one of the reasons the Taycan's range is such a shocker - experienced EV drivers know it will be less - so a rated range of 230/240 miles - means the Taycan is barely a 200 mile range vehicle under normal circumstances - for a 93 kWh battery that's pretty embarrassing.
flexor76 (10-19-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 01:18 PM
freqflyer
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

https://totalcar.hu/tesztek/2019/10/...turbo_s_teszt/
Old 10-19-2019, 04:27 PM
svp6
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no question that Tesla has more experience in EVs and Porsche more experience in building high quality sport cars. The reason so many Tesla owners are on this forum is because we want something Tesla does not currently have - a great looking, nicely executed car inside and out. If model 3 or model S would have the refinement of a Porsche there would be no conversation.

Model 3 is an awesome daily driver, but from what I see in the reviews the Taycan will make me feel even better - combine the EV qualities with the impeccable interior and comfort of the Porsche brand. I made a deposit on the Taycan nearly 2 years ago - can't wait to get mine. If I were to rank EV sedans now I would say Taycan looks the best (at a huge price), model 3 (probably best overall EV), then model S (best range and space if this is what you need). All others somewhat further down the list.
The following 4 users liked this post by svp6:
daveo4porsche (10-19-2019), JB43 (11-27-2019), Needsdecaf (10-20-2019), W8MM (10-23-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 05:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by svp6
There is no question that Tesla has more experience in EVs and Porsche more experience in building high quality sport cars. The reason so many Tesla owners are on this forum is because we want something Tesla does not currently have - a great looking, nicely executed car inside and out. If model 3 or model S would have the refinement of a Porsche there would be no conversation.

Model 3 is an awesome daily driver, but from what I see in the reviews the Taycan will make me feel even better - combine the EV qualities with the impeccable interior and comfort of the Porsche brand. I made a deposit on the Taycan nearly 2 years ago - can't wait to get mine. If I were to rank EV sedans now I would say Taycan looks the best (at a huge price), model 3 (probably best overall EV), then model S (best range and space if this is what you need). All others somewhat further down the list.
Wait, don’t say that. According to some, the Model 3 owners are here to defend Tesla and their lies. None of us are actually interested in the Taycan.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looks like West Coast press launch happening....

Old 11-13-2019, 07:32 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Wait, don’t say that. According to some, the Model 3 owners are here to defend Tesla and their lies. None of us are actually interested in the Taycan.
That’s quite funny given very few were prepared to be open minded about the Taycan, it’s design and well thought out engineering.

Few understood what that meant for performance and the delivery of that performance.

It’s simple really, with the exception of range the Taycan is clearly better than anything currently made by Tesla. It’s no longer even a debate.

Many Tesla owners on here and Model 3 owners in particular struggle with other people’s views in regard to Tesla.

It’s simple, some people find their culture and products unappealing and are not interested in bang for buck or group think.

Last edited by groundhog; 11-13-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:55 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm interested in range tests at various speeds. As many EV owners will tell you, the speed at which you drive can dramatically affect range. The 2-speed design of the Taycan is something we haven't seen before, so I'm very interested in seeing for example how far a Tesla will go at 60mph and at 80mph. And then how the Taycan does at a steady 60/80. In theory the 2-speed gearbox would help efficiency at higher speeds, but I'm in the "trust but verify" camp here.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
That’s quite funny given very few were prepared to be open minded about the Taycan, .
Actually, what's quite funny is your inability to be open minded about anything related to Tesla, and to constantly stereotype Tesla owners. You have your ideas about Tesla owners and cannot accept that they might think differently, and disown any valid criticism they have regarding the Taycan as jealous trolling.

You're calling out Telsa owners for their lack of open mindedness and yet, you are as closed minded about Tesla owners as you think they are.

It's simple really.
The following 5 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
Adk46 (11-16-2019), daveo4porsche (11-14-2019), evanevery (11-15-2019), JB43 (11-27-2019), whiz944 (11-14-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 06:37 PM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

I noticed several Tesla owners on this site shopping/buying a Taycan (of which I am one).

So, who exactly, are you (ironically) calling "closed minded"?
Old 11-16-2019, 01:57 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Old 11-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

Here's a review - after a 10-hour test drive in SoCal - by a guy who produces thoughtful and analytical videos about Teslas, about which he has long and varied experience. It may be his first experience with any Porsche, and he appears to "get" what is special about them.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adk46
Here's a review - after a 10-hour test drive in SoCal - by a guy who produces thoughtful and analytical videos about Teslas, about which he has long and varied experience. It may be his first experience with any Porsche, and he appears to "get" what is special about them.

https://youtu.be/NKUBuH1JBEQ
I know that this guy has a fairly big following in the Tesla world, but I found this video VERY hard to watch. I actually gave up on it multiple times before finally suffering through it. Many things he said made it apparent that he really lives in kind of a Tesla bubble of cars.

I could understand his confusion over the Sport Chrono clock; I think most people outside of Porsche fans would find that confusing. But when he started talking about the car being planted because it's "over 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight" he really started to lose me. I mean, weight does not equal stability and really, who talks about gross vehicle weight? WTF?!?! Then he started going off on the amount of steering wheel buttons. Really? That wheel is VERY clean compared to most in the industry. And then when he was complaining about the interior not being luxurious enough I was like, ok, what? Yikes.

And yet, as clueless as he surely was about many things automotive, he still recognized the car for what it is. An extremely good EV that's very enjoyable to drive. And moreover, I agree with his conclusion in that the Taycan is not a Tesla competitor, it's better in most ways than any Tesla, and that they are not competing for the same buyer and that a rising tide floats all boats.

So, even if this Tesla die-hard, who clearly doesn't know much about cars in general, can figure that out, I think most Tesla fans can as well. I know that this is cross posting, but I read Jonny Lieberman's article on the E-Stang this morning and two quotes stood out to me:

A Mustang-badged electric vehicle? And an SUV, at that? Really? Yeah, for real. Ford leveraged the brand's great strengths—namely, the fact that almost every person on earth likes the Mustang. Not only that (and I found this next part particularly gratifying to learn), but performance car customers are also much better educated about battery electric vehicles (BEVs) than the average car buyer
One of the hurdles to BEV adoption is the persistent myths about cars powered by batteries. A few Ford shared with us: 92 percent of new car buyers think electric cars are toylike; 75 percent wouldn't drive a BEV in extreme weather; 51 percent suffer from range anxiety; and thanks to the success of the Toyota Prius, 42 percent think that BEVs require gasoline. The solution then, if you're going to sell an electric car, is to attract the buyers who think EV tech is sexy. Who dat? People who dig performance.
And thus the reason the first Porsche EV was the Taycan. Not an electric Macan.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021...e-release-date
Old 11-18-2019, 03:37 PM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
{snip}...75 percent wouldn't drive a BEV in extreme weather; 51 percent suffer from range anxiety...{snip}
Not really disagreeing with you (minimal value in that "review"), but I also think Lieberman's statistics (quoted above) are out of touch...

- My ModelX is like a cat in the snow (with suitably fitted Pirelli Scorpions). In bad Wisconsin winter weather, Its a toss up if I will take it or my GMC 2500 4WD pickup. There really is no reason why a BEV can not do just as well as an ICE in the snow. Loss of range is quite minimal...
- With 250 miles of range, range anxiety is not a thing for our MX being a daily driver...

My TurboS will ultimately replace our ModelX as a daily driver. The AWD in the Taycan should easily handle our Wisconsin winters with a proper set of tires...

Quick Reply: Taycan Reviews and Videos