Taycan Reviews and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 12:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
As was pointed out earlier - a person that breaks the embargo - is a direct reflection of the culture that person embraces.

Porsche the culture of excellence Vs. the culture of spiv and spin.

An easy choice for most. People like Alex reflect failure, not excellence worse still - the lack of ability, insight and ethics is damming.

Needsdecaf - where do you stand in regard to the above You promoted him and his view and his site. A mistake, a misunderstanding or simply an easy path that was consistent with your view.

A poor look / or possibly a mistake/ it wasn’t meant in that way / but will still ill take the hits - ethics
You're confusing Alexs. The Alex in the video above is not the Alex in the video I posted. The video I posted featured Alex Dykes of Alex on Autos. I don't even know who this guy is above. Sounds like he's not worth getting to know.

As for your first question, I reached out to Alex (Dykes) and was told that the first video that was posted under the TFL car title was EXTENSIVELY discussed and cleared with Porsche Press officers onsite prior to it's upload. So, not only did they know he was going to post a video prior to the embargo lifting, they approved it and it's contents. The only thing that was embargoed was posting actual driving impressions. Still not sure why you have your knickers in a twist on this one. Plenty of people were posting driving footage on Instagram before the embargo ended. You just can't discuss "driving impressions'. Hence the reason @stout was able to supply us with certain information but not give his thoughts on actually driving the car. Or are you going to accuse him of "spin and spiv" as well?

Alex Dykes has been in the industry for years, and is an excellent reviewer. He makes his living reviewing mostly boring and mundane everyday driving cars, and his style is one of a "what would I need to know to buy this car". Very factual and extremely detailed on specs, trims, pricing, materials, etc. He is not the first to try to scoop anything, and doesn't typically test super expensive cars, but that's the way his audience likes it. There's no EDM music, drone shots, or clickbait titles in his reviews.

So for you to insinuate what you are insinuating is completely laughable. By continuing to post it, in the face of the truth, you look foolish.

Originally Posted by freqflyer
Alex from E for Electric broke Embargo?
No, groundhog is confused because he's making assumptions without doing his research.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:23 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You're confusing Alexs. The Alex in the video above is not the Alex in the video I posted. The video I posted featured Alex Dykes of Alex on Autos. I don't even know who this guy is above. Sounds like he's not worth getting to know.
Haha.

Speaking about Alex Dykes.

If you didn't see the video: Tom of InsideEV's, mentioned he rode with Alex (Dykes) of Alex on Auto's, and some of their experiences.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:32 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

0-100km/h ~2.7s (claimed 2.8s) (-0.1s)
0-160km/h
~5.8s (claimed 6.3s) (-0.5s)
0-200km/h
~8.6s (claimed 9.8s) (-1.2s)
0-250km/h
~13.6s
The following 2 users liked this post by TopspeedPT:
CarMaven (09-30-2019), freqflyer (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarMaven
PS: Note/If you didn't see the video: Tom of InsideEV's, mentioned he rode with Alex (Dykes) of Alex on Auto's, and some of their experiences.
No, I have not watched that video yet. But I will post it on the front page.
CarMaven (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:41 PM
CarMaven
Pro

No, I have not watched that video yet. But I will post it on the front page.
FWIW: Besides the histrionics of the host (who was more entertaining/a counterpoint), it was actually quite informative as your usual "Road Test", if not more so.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:56 PM
CarMaven
Pro

This guys review from Motor 1 is worth adding to your list (printed). Granted, he omitted the all important range figure in his review:

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:03pm

By: Basem Wasef

Taking Porsche’s pedigree into the 21st century

There is no pause as pregnant as the quiet before this storm. After twisting the mode dial into Sport Plus mode and standing on both pedals, the 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S displays a “Launch Control activated” message while seemingly nothing else happens – no wailing engine, no waiting for boost (despite the nomenclature), just the tentative hum of an electronically generated soundtrack as 774 pound-feet of torque are about to discharge through all four wheels.

Lift the brake pedal, and an ungodly wallop slams your cranium against the headrest as instant torque hurtles the 2.5-ton sedan ahead. Porsche claims 60 miles per hour arrives in 2.6 seconds for the Turbo S (or three seconds flat in the lesser Turbo model), but my seat of the pants isn’t buying it. As a top speed autobahn run later reveals, the boys in Zuffenhausen have a way of chronically understating their vehicles’ capabilities.
Speaking of elevated velocities, stretching the Taycan’s legs over an open stretch of unrestricted autobahn reveals a strong climb to around 150 mph, followed by a tapering off until the car reaches an indicated 269 kilometers per hour (or 167 mph), which matched up to data from a GPS phone app. Given the manufacturer’s claimed top speed of 162 mph, the small dollop of extra speed is a welcome bonus.
Minor quibbles aside, our two-day experience behind the wheel of the Porsche Taycan Turbo and Turbo S revealed a remarkable amount of refinement and quality of execution from a dynamics standpoint to an overall level of comfort, quiet, and ability to gobble up mile after mile with minimal driver fatigue. The rear seats even offer enough space to comfortably seat two six-foot-tall adults for long periods of time. Though saddled with hefty sticker prices, the Porsche Taycan Turbo and Turbo S deliver an exceptional answer to a question enthusiasts never knew they had, and enough innovation to inspire yet another wave of high-performance EV sedan contenders.
There's more. This is a worthy review.
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/37266...n-first-drive/

Last edited by CarMaven; 09-30-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Der-Schwabe (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hmmm Interesting conversation on the Taycan and Tesla Model S by Inside EV's Tom Moloughney and the host on E For Electric Youtube Channel, Alex Guberman.

Not sure if the host-Alex was just looking for headlines, or the stereotypical EV guy/Self Confessed Tesla Fanboy who knows nothing about Porsche or ICE/Sports cars. But funny (he seemed quite surprised about several things Tom mentioned about the Taycan and Porsche in general). Tom also gives some key insights for future, potential buyers:

Interesting: Tom's both a Model 3 owner, and has driven many Porsche's in his lifetime. Obviously, he an EV advocate, which is why he feels the way he does. He even mentioned, gave insight on the Ring Shenanigans. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BAcgUcXY-Y
I couldn’t even make it 90 seconds through that video.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:01 AM
freqflyer
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Haha.

Speaking about Alex Dykes.

If you didn't see the video: Tom of InsideEV's, mentioned he rode with Alex (Dykes) of Alex on Auto's, and some of their experiences.

I do not believe Alex Dykes has released his driving impression yet. Unless this is it.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:52 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by freqflyer
I do not believe Alex Dykes has released his driving impression yet. Unless this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cNSTfh1i_8Y
Yeah he did a few so far (mostly under TFL I think). I just brought up Alex Dykes, cause he"s a friend of Needsdecafe
Old 10-02-2019, 07:59 AM
CarMaven
Pro

I couldn’t even make it 90 seconds through that video.
Why, cause of the host? 😆 Lol

I hear ya.

If so: Just fast forward to 2:31 (though he's still may be annoying to you). However, his guest Tom's insightful. And they do have a banter to oppose his fanboyism, and/ or grandstanding.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:16 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by TopspeedPT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUeyRnqq49o

0-100km/h ~2.7s (claimed 2.8s) (-0.1s)
0-160km/h
~5.8s (claimed 6.3s) (-0.5s)
0-200km/h
~8.6s (claimed 9.8s) (-1.2s)
0-250km/h
~13.6s
It looks like this two speed/2nd gear, may be paying off, judging by the high speed/quick times you and others noted off this video!? 0-200-250 km/h happens in literally a blink.

The upcoming instrumented mag test, and future H2H's will be quite interesting.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:57 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

The review I've been waiting for: Carfection and Henry Catchpole

I'm must say, I'm disappointed. He doesn't come across as overly impressed. This definitely doesn't help.

flexor76 (10-06-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 10:44 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202

I'm must say, I'm disappointed. He doesn't come across as overly impressed. This definitely doesn't help.

It sounds like he nailed it...and honestly,it's what I've been expecting...
Old 10-04-2019, 10:56 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

I thought it was an excellent thoughtful review - and agreed he wasn’t blown away.

Fundamentally he recognises the enjoyment you get from a car has nothing to do with 0-60mph.

Best review yet
Old 10-04-2019, 11:12 AM
freqflyer
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qT5d3NhOo
He seems to be the type that enjoys the scream of GT3 six and tail out going through a corner. No, he will not be impressed with EV or any other EV.

Quick Reply: Taycan Reviews and Videos