Sponsored by:

Taycan Reviews and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 02:01 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
Actually, what is laughable is that you claim I inferred any of that (since you quoted me). My comment was about having the respect to stay on topic and being an old timer doesn't give you a pass for that. Ok boomer.
No, you weren't the one who inferred that. "Thread drift" is a way of life on any internet forum. And yeah - I am a "boomer".
Old 12-03-2019, 02:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Doug DeMuro Taycan review :

The following 3 users liked this post by neanicu:
Der-Schwabe (12-04-2019), Needsdecaf (12-03-2019), whiz944 (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 04:13 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts
Default Doug DeMuro got his hands on a Taycan

The review you've all been waiting for!!

Old 12-03-2019, 04:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Someone posted it in the reviews thread and I've also updated the first post in that thread with it.

Should be interesting. Doug's all about the quirks and features, not so much about the driving. But entertaining nonetheless.
The following users liked this post:
CarMaven (12-04-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
I actually was here when there were only 5 other people. The very first day John D made rennlist (actually porschelist at the time) available to the public. A bunch of us immediately jumped over from the previous, poorly managed, porschefans email lists. To infer that just because I happen to like Teslas, and own one, means I don't understand Porsches (when I've been a Porsche owner for the past 32 years) or 'performance' (even though driving on tracks is not my thing) is laughable.

As far as reviews go - everyone agrees the Taycans are _fast_ - as they should be at that price. But few reviewers have gone into any real level of detail that shows how Porsches approaches to EV drive trains are significantly better than Teslas. Different - sure. Is the 800V electrical system actually providing a benefit _in practice_? So far doesn't seem to, but maybe in the future. Is the two-speed tranny really some sort of breakthrough? Um, no. Will it be a source of repairs over time - like some other Porsche transmissions have been? Would the cost and real estate it occupies be better used by simply adding a second electric motor (e.g., Teslas 'plaid' drive train) instead? Hmmm...
There have been plenty of discussions about the 800V system and why its a significant improvement over others. I'm not going to go into any detail but consider this, electrical power is given by the simple equation P = IxV, this means for the 800V system to generate the same power or drawer down as a 400V system requires half the amps (I). There are multiple consequences, including substantially less heating and different requirements for the wiring loom (lighter). This is the tip of the iceberg.

The gearing has been discussed at length, this was something Tesla tried to get right but couldn't execute reliably. The importance of the gearing is not simply the fact that it has two gears but the fact that in the future Porsche can play with the gearing to add more performance or more range just by changing one or two gears (let alone system based adjustments)

Performance - not going to say much here, other than there are quite a few people on here that compete at state, national and even international level. Thus what you consider performance knowledge and I consider performance knowledge are radically different. The only way you can truly appreciate performance and what it means both in breadth and detail can only be learned through experience generated by continuous competition.

The Doug Demuro eview was quite entertaining - but no further insights in terms of what we know already

News commentary from CNBC

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/03/pors...ports-car.html

Last edited by groundhog; 12-03-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Bob Roberts (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

double up???
Old 12-04-2019, 08:24 AM
Garydose
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Doug's handling score of 6 is surely too low...
Old 12-04-2019, 09:28 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Someone posted it in the reviews thread and I've also updated the first post in that thread with it.

Should be interesting. Doug's all about the quirks and features, not so much about the driving. But entertaining nonetheless.
Yeah. I thought, he totally didn't get the 911 Speedster particularly vs other regular, pedestrian fair from Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Plus, he thought their steering was better on some of those cars, because they had shorter turn lock to lock. It also feels like they let him drive the car (911 Speedster) for about 1 block, not that he ever seems to drive his test cars much. LOL

With the Taycan. He absolutely loved the handling, then gave it a 6 on his chart (with out explanation). Makes you wonder, if he wants to keep it to a certain score. He's an excellent regular reviewer. But not so much on the history, essence and culture of many of these vehicles. LOL

Nonetheless, like you said, still a good listen most times.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarMaven
Yeah. I thought, he totally didn't get the 911 Speedster particularly vs other regular, pedestrian fair from Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Plus, he thought their steering was better on some of those cars, because they had shorter turn lock to lock. It also feels like they let him drive the car (911 Speedster) for about 1 block, not that he ever seems to drive his test cars much. LOL

With the Taycan. He absolutely loved the handling, then gave it a 6 on his chart (with out explanation). Makes you wonder, if he wants to keep it to a certain score. He's an excellent regular reviewer. But not so much on the history, essence and culture of many of these vehicles. LOL

Nonetheless, like you said, still a good listen most times.
Yeah, he is pretty much the last guy to go to in terms of driving dynamics, but to be fair, that's not what he claims to be. His evaluation of dynamics tends to be "holy crap that's fast" or "man this has a heavy clutch". Which is fine, as long as you're not expecting otherwise. I enjoy him because he finds weird crap that you probably never knew about and my son, who despite my trying isn't all that into cars, likes watching him. And I think it's actually helping him become more of a gearhead, lol. So I have that to thank him for.
CarMaven (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garydose
I think Doug's handling score of 6 is surely too low...
Considering Matt Farah indicated during one of his podcaststhat he took several canyon corners at 110 plus, I'd tend to agree.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

I really liked this review, cool inductive charging port

Old 12-05-2019, 01:39 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 419 Posts

Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 AM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

"One of the first I notice when I drive this car is the quality difference between Tesla and Porsche"
He even laughs in the middle of the sentence, after mentioning "Tesla".

No ****. I'm still in shock from when I went to check the model S, the model 3 and the model X with my wife a few months ago. I daily drive a Panamera and own a 911 too. When I opened the door of the Model S I wondered if it was a joke. I cannot get over it. I wanted to love Tesla cars. I'm still in shock: they are mediocre and I can't believe how a Model S can be considered a luxury car and priced so high (the cheap Model 3 I understand better seend it's price / target market).

I'm taking an "electric Panamera" with less range and lower acceleration any day over a Tesla. The build quality / comfort / luxury are simply two entirely different planets: there's no comparison possible.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Watched this video last night and it was pretty bad. Doug seems to shine brighter on truly oddball cars. None of the "quirks" pointed out were all that quirky, especially if you already know the car. And, as expected, his reaction was "OMG this is fast". Which, well, no ****.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:56 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by martinced
He even laughs in the middle of the sentence, after mentioning "Tesla".

No ****. I'm still in shock from when I went to check the model S, the model 3 and the model X with my wife a few months ago. I daily drive a Panamera and own a 911 too. When I opened the door of the Model S I wondered if it was a joke. I cannot get over it. I wanted to love Tesla cars. I'm still in shock: they are mediocre and I can't believe how a Model S can be considered a luxury car and priced so high (the cheap Model 3 I understand better seend it's price / target market).

I'm taking an "electric Panamera" with less range and lower acceleration any day over a Tesla. The build quality / comfort / luxury are simply two entirely different planets: there's no comparison possible.
While I agree Porsche build quality is better, as someone who has owned quite a few Porsches and a Tesla Model S as well, I don't think the difference is that huge. Don't mistake the more minimalistic styling for cheapness; it's just a different approach (Yeah, and sort of like Apple, it took a while to get to get used to their streamlined designs). The design and quality of the Model S drivetrain is incredibly solid. Those induction motors will be turning over long after a gas engine has gasped it's last breath. And Tesla's battery tech is already pretty well proven, with many high mileage examples. Porsche's battery tech may be OK too, but it will be some years before we know. Porsche also has a long way to go also with matching Tesla's supercharging network and ability to constantly upgrade the car via over the air updates.

I really wouldn't consider any gas powered Panamera over any Model S. The instantaneous power, torque and power modulation of the Model S are so far superior. Porsche steering feel is better, but the actual handling dynamics of the Model S are pretty damn good, thanks to the lower CG. I will consider a Taycan, though. As long as my Porsche dealer doesn't try make up for the lost $500 oil changes with some BS service requirements.

Quick Reply: Taycan Reviews and Videos