Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Default Taycan Reviews and Videos

Updated 9/24/19

Videos

Alex on Autos guest for TFL Car - Preview

Motorweek Quick Spin:

Taycan 0*-100 charging
* - the first part of the charge got messed up by a car on the adjacent charger.

Auto Express

Mr. JWW

TFL Car Driving

What Car

Autocar

Auto Bild

Everyday Reviews -

Fully Charged -

Autogefuhl - (not Thomas unfortunately) -

E for Electric -

Carfection featuring Henry Catchpole -

Driven Car Reviews -

Doug DeMuro -

The Smoking Tire:

Edmunds:

Autogefuhl (winter 4S):

CarWow (winter):

The Wheel network (winter):

https://youtu.be/58-i4g95SUQ

AutoTrader (winter):

https://youtu.be/T3OoJt2rshk

MotoMan:

Reviews

Jalopnik - https://jalopnik.com/the-electric-20...cebook&sfns=mo

Road and Track - https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-drive-review/

Car and Driver - https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rototype-ride/

Top Gear - https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/porsche/taycan

Car - https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...che/taycan-ev/

Evo - https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/porsch...n-the-electric

Auto Express - https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/taycan

Autocar - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...te-performance

Autoblog - https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/24/...n-first-drive/

WSJ - https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-por...hp_featst_pos1

Automobile - https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...-drive-review/

Autoweek - https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...e-just-amazing

Whichcar AU - https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...ormance-review

Car Throttle - https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...heres-a-catch/

Motor 1 - https://www.motor1.com/reviews/37266...n-first-drive/

4S Review by Motor Trend: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021...t-drive-review

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 12-11-2019 at 11:23 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
CarMaven (09-29-2019), daveo4porsche (09-22-2019), evanevery (09-23-2019), freqflyer (09-21-2019), TopspeedPT (09-23-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Good thread to start. Just weary of all of this secrecy crap. Let the full reviews begin!
Old 09-21-2019, 06:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Delete.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:39 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Delete.
See the Stout and Catchpole threads. The quality reviews will land there.

Dont want to mix up quality and integrity with teslarati or electrek and besides, I and I assume others, want to see reviews that are open and honest done by credible people.

We dont need filters applied by you or others - thanks in advance 😀

Last edited by groundhog; 09-22-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
See the Stout and Catchpole threads. The quality reviews will land there.

Dont want to mix up quality and integrity with teslarati or electrek and besides, I and I assume others, want to see reviews that are open and honest done by credible people.

We dont need filters applied by you or others - thanks in advance ��
1. Alex has a very successful review channel with 300k subscribers. He tests all manner of cars and is pretty unbiased. Just because you don’t know who he is doesn’t mean he’s not credible.

2. This thread is intended to summarize all the reviews as they are published. There normally is one in every release. I invite all to post the reviews here as they hit the web, print or video. I will edit the first thread to compile them.

3. Stout’s review thread should be for him only.

4. I have no bias and am not going to apply any filter. Unlike you. Grow up.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:58 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Motorweek Pre-Embargo "Qucik Spin" Video

They gave brief, but sufficient driving observations without any numbers in a 3.34 teaser video.

Interesting: They mentioned, no EPA estimate yet. Nonetheless, felt it would be 300 miles when released.......We'll see?

Old 09-22-2019, 05:04 PM
CarMaven
Pro

1. Alex has a very successful review channel with 300k subscribers. He tests all manner of cars and is pretty unbiased. Just because you don’t know who he is doesn’t mean he’s not credible.

2. This thread is intended to summarize all the reviews as they are published. There normally is one in every release. I invite all to post the reviews here as they hit the web, print or video. I will edit the first thread to compile them.

3. Stout’s review thread should be for him only.

Not sure if you know yet. But Alex's website says he should having 0-60 info (from a rolling start) on Tues.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 05:28 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Top speed 269 km

Better than expected
View this post on Instagram
The following 3 users liked this post by Cpoarchy:
CarMaven (09-22-2019), Needsdecaf (09-22-2019), TopspeedPT (09-23-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 05:49 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by CarMaven
Interesting: They mentioned, no EPA estimate yet. Nonetheless, felt it would be 300 miles when released.......We'll see?
Porsche lists (https://www.porsche.com/internationa...taycan-models/) the upper range as 450 km = 279 miles based on WLTP standards which are always higher than EPA. There's no way it's going to be close to 300 EPA miles. It'll be lucky to get 240 EPA miles. Porsche's original announcement of the Mission E was 310 miles.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:59 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Porsche lists (https://www.porsche.com/internationa...taycan-models/) the upper range as 450 km = 279 miles based on WLTP standards which are always higher than EPA. There's no way it's going to be close to 300 EPA miles. It'll be lucky to get 240 EPA miles. Porsche's original announcement of the Mission E was 310 miles.
I know/Gotcha.
But they could know something we don't know (shrugs). FWIW: Some folks, and indicators have given rumblings to the contrary.
Or maybe the estimate can be done in Range Mode, etc.? I dunno. But that's Motorweek said.

Like I said. We'll see?
Old 09-22-2019, 06:14 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,733 Likes on 1,828 Posts

useful review - reports "expect" 250 miles range - trunk space, concrete examples, very comfortable car - Porsche interior quality - and some highway footage (including like 267 km-ph) - and very very thorough description of the difference between the turbo and turbo-S (more power front motor and great control hardware) - and the dual charge ports - L2 charging on both sides, Fast charging on passenger side only - 3 levels of charging 50 kW standard, 150 kW 400v with option, and more than 150 kW if you find one of the EA chargers (which are few today but more tomorrow metaphorically) - interesting that Porsche feels 90% of braking will be completed by regen ALONE - kinda makes me wonder why pay for PCCB's every again - new factoid 94.3 kWh battery according to this review with 83/84 kWh "usable" - 9.6 kw L2 charger is inline with expectations and is a very common EV charging setup with a 50 amp breaker allowing for 40 amps of charging rate at 9,600 watts.

at 250 miles range with 84 kWh usable - that makes the Taycan a 2.9 mi/kwh EV - or 344 wh/mile MUCH better than previously indicated - so good progress if true (we are all still awaiting EPA ratings) and better efficiency than the Model X and inline with the Model S (I used to drive my P85D about 240 miles on Tesla 85 kWh battery) - and inline with recent P85D model S number I saw where 203 miles trip computer was averaging 334 wh/miles for everyday driving - that make the Taycan almost exactly match the 2012-2017 generation Model S PXXXD's for efficiency (which was Porsche's clear benchmark for this vehicle)…better efficiency than we've been lead to believe, helped by actual data and adjustment of battery size to "smaller" for same range (the 93 kWh makes the numbers worse, but 10 kWh is "unusable" so we back it out to determine actual estimate consumption).

5 screens - and from what I saw decent UI, but not glorious - but seems very very acceptable and instantly recognizable as "Porsche" - the driver's console curved screen looks to be quite nice with LOTs of information.

overall answers a lot of questions with specifics but does not provide "driving impressions" - cause ya'know embargo - although he said he giggled a lot while driving it.
The following users liked this post:
W8MM (09-24-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 08:08 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Lol of course you won't, you're not a buyer and you're a Tesla owner - and there are two of you that dominate every Taycan thread

Why don't you and your mate take a breather and let those that have a genuine interest in the Taycan look at reviews and discuss them in peace.

Here's the rub, you and your good mate turn every Taycan thread into Tesla comparo - drum roll - some of us aren't interested in Tesla for many reasons, likewise most GM or Ford products.

This seems so hard for you and your buddy to understand. It continues to amaze me everyday. Think about it.

When did that embargo end? 24th I believe and that review was from Denmark (during the Porsche reveal)..............as I said I'll wait for Stouts and Catchpoles reviews - when the embargo is over, so they can discuss everything in the round. Ethics and Integrity (guess your mate won't be getting a repeat invite from Porsche).

And the big stoppers are there for repeated hard braking from high speed (unlimited autobahn and track) - the ability to do this repeatedly and without loss of performance is a characteristic of a true performance car (from a technical point of view it's a balancing act with regen that can be challenging - looks like Porsche solved that problem too).

Add that to active suspension and repeatable high performance delivered through use of 800V architecture and you have a quality package. Not a fan of the two tone colour scheme in the demo model - but that's easy to fix with Porsche - fit and finish looked great as I'd expect - layout of screens, information clusters plus passenger control - practical with quality integration. Ticks a lot of boxes.

However the big one is how it drives, if that part of the equation is resolved as a drivers car then indeed the bar has been raised.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-22-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:15 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Lol of course you won't, you're not a buyer and you're a Tesla owner - and there are two of you that dominate every Taycan thread

Why don't you and your mate take a breather and let those that have a genuine interest in the Taycan look at reviews and discuss them in peace.

Here's the rub, you and your good mate turn every Taycan thread into Tesla comparo - drum roll - some of us aren't interested in Tesla for many reasons, likewise most GM or Ford products.

This seems so hard for you and your buddy to understand. It continues to amaze me everyday. Think about it.

When did that embargo end? 24th I believe and that review was from Denmark (during the Porsche reveal)..............as I said I'll wait for Stouts and Catchpoles reviews - when the embargo is over, so they can discuss everything in the round. Ethics and Integrity (guess your mate won't be getting a repeat invite from Porsche).

lol, see you got me there. You ALMOST got me to lose my cool with yet another personal attack. Nah, I won’t stoop to that level.

Not a buyer? How would you know that? Answer, you haven’t a clue as to my personal situation so please, don’t bother going there. You seem to keep insinuating that I’m poor? Telling me I’m not a buyer, referring me to GM and Ford products. It sure what you’re on about there. Are you even a buyer? Do you have any experience driving or owning an EV? I appreciate you telling me what I should do, but I didn’t get to this position in life by caring what random people on the Internet tell me to do, thanks, so i’ll Pass.

Whats ironic about all of this is that you accuse Dave and I of hijacking all these threads with Tesla discussions, when you seem to be the only one that thinks so. You accuse us of playing the man, when you’re actually the one slinging the insults. Time and again across multiple threads, you always choose the low road. I’m genuinely sorry you do. Go ahead and look at all the threads on here. Aside from the actual Tesla vs Taycan at the Ring thread, how many of them have a mass amount of Tesla content? Answer, not many. The only time Tesla is brought up is in the context of discussion, and not always by me either. But you seem to think Dave and I are the only ones that mention Tesla. I guess you just can’t work out that someone who actually buys, owns and enjoys a Tesla could ever be objective. It’s actually pretty easy to do so, and if you read through my posts, you’ll see I call a spade a spade. Every. Single. Time. Or did you gain some alternate meaning from my statement when I said that I would have bailed on a Tesla had there been an alternative available because the ordering process sucked? Oh, by the way, I didn’t start that particular Tesla discussion, someone else did. Don’t see you going after them though.

As for your your snarky remark regarding Alex’s review, it sure what you’re on about there either. If you’re trying to imply that he’s in on something and some sort of Taycan detractor, well, you either haven’t watched the video or you’re really just the red mist on. I’m not sure what’s worse, honestly. No, he’s not Henry Catchpole...he doesn’t have nearly that budget nor is that his style. He is a presenter of facts. I’m not sure what else you expected him to say while the embargo is still on, but it’s pretty clear to me when he opened his video saying it was “the most exciting vehicle, in my opinion, for the 2020 calendar year” that he was a fan of the car. And the giggle accompanied by “This is an awful lot of fun”. Oh wait, I’m sorry. He’s my friend, so he couldn’t possibly have “ethics and integrity”. Way to take the low road. Again.

I would truly welcome you to take the high road. Realize that just because someone has owned a Tesla doesn’t mean that they’ve drank the Kool Aid. I’ve always been objective about the good and the bad of EVERY car I’ve owned. Ask my wife, lol. Meanwhile, I own two Porsches and an EV, I think I’m more than qualified to discuss the Taycan in the context of an EV, a daily driver, and a sports car. You don’t have to agree with my opinion, it is after all my opinion and I honestly won’t be bothered if you disagree. But your constant insinuation that I’m some kind of Tesla shill, that I don’t have the means or the desire to buy a Taycan, and that I don’t have business bringing my opinion to the discussion is just plain silly. I would kindly ask you to just drop that line of thinking. I think you’d get a lot more out of the discussion if you do. Maybe think of this: maybe Dave and I are very active on all these threads because we’re actually excited about the Taycan? That we like it? That we enjoy the discussion, the back and forth, the exchange of info and opinions? And that we have something to add in the context of EV’s? I’ve owned one, and put 20k miles on it in 8 months. Dave has owned, I think, 7 or maybe 8 at this point? Dunno, it’s more than a few. We are both owners of multiple Porsches and we are both fans of this car. Both of us can’t wait to get our hands on one. Dave is for sure a buyer at the right spec. I could buy one, but won’t if I continue driving 30k a year. Can’t take that hit. But that situation could change soon and if so, the 3 could likely get replaced by a Taycan. I’m sure it’s going to be awesome.

Meanwhile, as a Porsche owner, an EV owner, and a general automotive enthusiast, I’m still going to continue posting about the Taycan. Because I’m genuinely interested. Maybe one day you’ll understand that.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 09-22-2019 at 10:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (09-23-2019), twospyders (12-13-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 11:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,733 Likes on 1,828 Posts

i’m super excited by all EV’s - well except the Leaf
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
ABVW (10-09-2022), W8MM (09-24-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 01:41 AM
groundhog
Race Car

lol, see you got me there. You ALMOST got me to lose my cool with yet another personal attack. Nah, I won’t stoop to that level.

Not a buyer? How would you know that? Answer, you haven’t a clue as to my personal situation so please, don’t bother going there. You seem to keep insinuating that I’m poor? Telling me I’m not a buyer, referring me to GM and Ford products. It sure what you’re on about there. Are you even a buyer? Do you have any experience driving or owning an EV? I appreciate you telling me what I should do, but I didn’t get to this position in life by caring what random people on the Internet tell me to do, thanks, so i’ll Pass.

Whats ironic about all of this is that you accuse Dave and I of hijacking all these threads with Tesla discussions, when you seem to be the only one that thinks so. You accuse us of playing the man, when you’re actually the one slinging the insults. Time and again across multiple threads, you always choose the low road. I’m genuinely sorry you do. Go ahead and look at all the threads on here. Aside from the actual Tesla vs Taycan at the Ring thread, how many of them have a mass amount of Tesla content? Answer, not many. The only time Tesla is brought up is in the context of discussion, and not always by me either. But you seem to think Dave and I are the only ones that mention Tesla. I guess you just can’t work out that someone who actually buys, owns and enjoys a Tesla could ever be objective. It’s actually pretty easy to do so, and if you read through my posts, you’ll see I call a spade a spade. Every. Single. Time. Or did you gain some alternate meaning from my statement when I said that I would have bailed on a Tesla had there been an alternative available because the ordering process sucked? Oh, by the way, I didn’t start that particular Tesla discussion, someone else did. Don’t see you going after them though.

As for your your snarky remark regarding Alex’s review, it sure what you’re on about there either. If you’re trying to imply that he’s in on something and some sort of Taycan detractor, well, you either haven’t watched the video or you’re really just the red mist on. I’m not sure what’s worse, honestly. No, he’s not Henry Catchpole...he doesn’t have nearly that budget nor is that his style. He is a presenter of facts. I’m not sure what else you expected him to say while the embargo is still on, but it’s pretty clear to me when he opened his video saying it was “the most exciting vehicle, in my opinion, for the 2020 calendar year” that he was a fan of the car. And the giggle accompanied by “This is an awful lot of fun”. Oh wait, I’m sorry. He’s my friend, so he couldn’t possibly have “ethics and integrity”. Way to take the low road. Again.

I would truly welcome you to take the high road. Realize that just because someone has owned a Tesla doesn’t mean that they’ve drank the Kool Aid. I’ve always been objective about the good and the bad of EVERY car I’ve owned. Ask my wife, lol. Meanwhile, I own two Porsches and an EV, I think I’m more than qualified to discuss the Taycan in the context of an EV, a daily driver, and a sports car. You don’t have to agree with my opinion, it is after all my opinion and I honestly won’t be bothered if you disagree. But your constant insinuation that I’m some kind of Tesla shill, that I don’t have the means or the desire to buy a Taycan, and that I don’t have business bringing my opinion to the discussion is just plain silly. I would kindly ask you to just drop that line of thinking. I think you’d get a lot more out of the discussion if you do. Maybe think of this: maybe Dave and I are very active on all these threads because we’re actually excited about the Taycan? That we like it? That we enjoy the discussion, the back and forth, the exchange of info and opinions? And that we have something to add in the context of EV’s? I’ve owned one, and put 20k miles on it in 8 months. Dave has owned, I think, 7 or maybe 8 at this point? Dunno, it’s more than a few. We are both owners of multiple Porsches and we are both fans of this car. Both of us can’t wait to get our hands on one. Dave is for sure a buyer at the right spec. I could buy one, but won’t if I continue driving 30k a year. Can’t take that hit. But that situation could change soon and if so, the 3 could likely get replaced by a Taycan. I’m sure it’s going to be awesome.

Meanwhile, as a Porsche owner, an EV owner, and a general automotive enthusiast, I’m still going to continue posting about the Taycan. Because I’m genuinely interested. Maybe one day you’ll understand that.
What personal attack - there wasn't one - simply pointing out a number of facts

(1) You are a Tesla owner and you're not interested in buying the Taycan (seems you've changed your mind).
(2) You and your buddy post ad infinitum - pretty much the same comments in every thread
(3) Your friend Alex - posted his review from Denmark (the Porsche reveal which Stout is/was on)
(4) Stout and Catchpole have not posted their reviews because they have respected the requested embargo. Ethics, integrity and excellence.
(5) There are many of us that are not really interested in Tesla - simply don't like the quality of their product and how they drive much like a lot of GM and Ford products - you and your mate making the same observations time and again isn't going to change that (or the spiv and spin associated with Tesla).
(6) There are many of us here that are genuinely interested in the Taycan - we can see where they are coming from, specifically from a drivers perspective e.g. delivering a true performance EV with dynamic handling and stopping power.
(7) Likewise from a technical perspective the 800V architecture has significant advantages over 400V architecture, its a straightforward matter of physics
(8) Likewise there were other nice engineering and design touches - particularly in and around the motors - quality engineering and finish. The point being there are plenty of us that see this and understand the ifs and whys.

It's of no interest to me if you or your mate can or can't afford a Taycan - but as sure as eggs are eggs the people that whinge the most about pricing are the people that generally have to stretch to buy the product - the game has shifted and there is a new way cooler toy in town - pay to play. Its immaterial whether its a house, a car or a TV - you see the same behaviours. In contrast there are some of us that see the proposition in the round, much like art or good architecture and are happy to pay the entry price. Just because you can't see it doesn't invalidate the latter view point.

Finally, you and old friend use the language of virtue signallers and you do it all the time e.g. labelling people "deniers" and "haters" simply because they disagree with your relative positions. Thats not debate, however it's very much a tool of the various shout down movements and in this forum it has descended to the level of other EV forums including the many new arrivals along with their first posts.

In fact the Taycan is the first EV I've been interested in, hence I'm not interested in endless discussions about Tesla vehicles or the politics of climate change (as opposed to the science of climate variation through time). Like many on here I understand the difference between a science based point of view and a political position and can equally understand the difference between a spec sheet and a quality product. I'm after the latter as I suspect are many others.

The embargo lifts in one day - I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting reviews, in all likelihood they will be positive.

Let it play out.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-23-2019 at 03:05 AM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: Taycan Reviews and Videos