Sponsored by:

Taycan Reviews and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 11:32 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyefrog
Fair enough, I misinterpreted his statement that "Third quarter 2019, in California, the Model 3 outsold the Toyota Camry, the best selling car in America", assuming the Camry was also the best selling car in California. As noted, the Honda Civic sub-compact at 1/2 the selling price, sells more.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/honda/civic/prices
Understanding that the claim wasn't revenue, but sales so I concede my mistake and assure you it was unintentional.

Here's the data though that backs up the claim above which I would think supports my original point.
For the Model 3 to outsell the Toyota Camry in Q3/19 and closing the gap on YTD, should prove that for some EV's, there is demand.

https://www.cncda.org/wp-content/upl...ring-2Q-19.pdf
https://www.cncda.org/wp-content/upl...ring-3Q-19.pdf

Q3
Camry YTD 48760 Model 3 YTD 48483

Q2
Camry YTD 33,638 Model 3 YTD 33,005

Difference 15,122 15,478

It is #3, it’s close but does not outsell Camry.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookec...take-note/amp/

https://insideevs.com/news/385236/te...ia-sales-2019/

Who cares? This isn’t a Tesla or Camry forum.

Dan (doesn’t)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm

Who cares? This isn’t a Tesla or Camry forum.
Tesla fans seem to care a lot since they show up in almost every forum that is tangentially related and tout fake news that they are outselling Camry or some other irrelevant or false nonsense.

Sad.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:41 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's another review from a guy that obviously been acquainted with both Tesla's and Porsche's. If not a bit hyperbolic. This guy focused more on performance aspects (with platitudes and no numbers), mid-engine/rear-engine/Battery dynamics, and the COG aspects among others.

Payne: Porsche puts its DNA in an EV with the electrifying Taycan sedan: Henry Payne, The Detroit News Published 10:46 p.m. ET Nov. 27, 2019

Not sure if his Rear Seat Legroom claim is true (especially with Foot garages) as we've seen several 6'3"-6'6" testers mention there were comfortable in the back with the seats extended. As Rennlister Wiley Rogers mentioned in the picture thread: "I was delighted with how similar the seating position was to my 991 Carerra S, and that the rear seat room as exactly as seen in reviews: the foot room is challenging getting in, but pretty comfy once you get situated". That makes sense to me.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...st/4268951002/
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 05:57 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
Tesla fans seem to care a lot since they show up in almost every forum that is tangentially related and tout fake news that they are outselling Camry or some other irrelevant or false nonsense.
Well there seems to be an 'interesting' number of P-car owners who are also Tesla owners. (Including myself.)

Sad.
Nah. Just a bunch of Car Guys arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin - as Car Guys have done as long as there have been cars. But EVs are so new to most folks, there is a definite need to dispel some myths and falsehoods.
AlexCeres (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:22 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Personally I just wish the Tesla owners would bugger off. I am not really interested in their take on the Taycan and they don’t add any value or useful insights.

Likewise I couldn’t care less about Tesla - not in the slightest interested in the company or the product.

The Taycan is a different matter - a quality product that has rightly garnered a lot good to excellent reviews.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Originally Posted by whiz944

Nah. Just a bunch of Car Guys arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin - as Car Guys have done as long as there have been cars. .
Nah. Many of the Tesla fans aren't car guys as much as they are EV zealots.
They are just the latest iteration of the Prius owner or the Crossfit person or the vegetarian who is more than willing to talk about how morally superior they are with their choices.

there is a definite need to dispel some myths and falsehoods.

...spreading fake news that Tesla outsold Camry in California is not exactly doing any dispelling but rather again promoting lies to support their fragile egos/.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:36 PM
groundhog
Race Car

They are just the latest iteration of the Prius owner or the Crossfit person or the vegetarian who is more than willing to talk about how morally superior they are with their choices/.
nailed it
Old 12-01-2019, 07:39 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

It is quite true that many EV zealots have no interest in Performance. But it is also true that Tesla in particular has a heritage of building high performance EVs. And that is, or at least should be, of interest to Car Guys.

They are just the latest iteration of the Prius owner or the Crossfit person or the vegetarian who is more than willing to talk about how morally superior they are with their choices.

...spreading fake news that Tesla outsold Camry in California is not exactly doing any dispelling but rather again promoting lies to support their fragile egos/.
Personally, I am far more interested in the tech than I am in 'saving the world' crusades. It is good that Porsche, among others, are finally building some performance oriented, electrified, cars.

Around here in Silicon Valley, it is not uncommon to see three, four, or more Teslas stopped at an intersection - waiting for the light to turn green. And in the town I live in, over 20% of the new car sales to residents were plug-in cars of one sort or another in 2018. I think we were second only to Palo Alto.
AlexCeres (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:42 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Go away and when you understand performance come back. This is meant to be about Taycan reviews - which bit of that don’t you understand?
Old 12-01-2019, 08:21 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by groundhog
Go away and when you understand performance come back. This is meant to be about Taycan reviews - which bit of that don’t you understand?
Sorry - but you'll have to do better than that. I've been on rennlist since it was an email reflector back in the mid-1990s. You've been here since... May 2018?
Old 12-01-2019, 08:22 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by whiz944
Sorry - but you'll have to do better than that. I've been on rennlist since it was an email reflector back in the mid-1990s. You've been here since... May 2018?
OK - read the rules, get back on topic or bugger off.

Which bit of that don't you understand.

This thread is for reviews of the Taycan not your electric camry.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Personally I just wish the Tesla owners would bugger off. I am not really interested in their take on the Taycan and they don’t add any value or useful insights.

Likewise I couldn’t care less about Tesla - not in the slightest interested in the company or the product.

The Taycan is a different matter - a quality product that has rightly garnered a lot good to excellent reviews.
Sorry, we'll still stay around.

Likewise, we don't care what you think about Tesla. And I would wager to say that the Tesla owners thoughts on the Taycan are far more relevant to the discussion than reposting an article from Forbes now what, 4 times? Yeah, Forbes. They really add a lot of value and insight on cars.

At least EV owners can intelligently discuss what it's like to own and live with an EV.
4pipes (12-01-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

And I would wager to say that the Tesla owners thoughts on the Taycan
spoken like a stereotypical Tesla fanboy.

They really add a lot of value and insight on cars.
It is an actual contribution and adds far more than a Tesla fanboy talking about what they think they can contribute.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:24 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Sorry, we'll still stay around.

Likewise, we don't care what you think about Tesla. And I would wager to say that the Tesla owners thoughts on the Taycan are far more relevant to the discussion than reposting an article from Forbes now what, 4 times? Yeah, Forbes. They really add a lot of value and insight on cars.

At least EV owners can intelligently discuss what it's like to own and live with an EV.
LOL its funny how wrong all of you were - didn't understand the finer points of the motor, the implications of the 800V system, the brakes, the gearing - nearly all Tesla posters showed was how little they knew and understood. The discussions about performance are particularly funny and were a daily highlight for me.it got particularly funny when the Tesla fanboys were arguing with a guy that owns a race track (a very nice one too).

The reason I posted the Forbes article four times was because I was trying to get this thread back on track - why? because I'm interested in the evolution of the Taycan in order to determine what the series 2 vehicle will be like - which I may well buy as a quality daily.

But no - Tesla owners have no interest in letting that happen. They pollute and spoil - and have so little self awareness they can't see why many have no interest in their electric camrys. But then again thats the Tesla play book - spiv, spin and dissemble.

"Intelligently discuss whats its like to own and live with an EV.".............are you serious, you sound like its akin to contemplating brain surgery with a spoon - perhaps it is for some Tesla owners, a real intellectual challenge.

They are just electric camrys, there is no mystery, no challenge.......................

Last edited by groundhog; 12-02-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Rollep (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

spoken like a stereotypical Tesla fanboy.
Spoken like a true Tesla Hater.

Labels suck. I suspect you're not a Telsa hater, nor am I a Tesla Fanboy. If you took even 5 minutes to review my postings, you'd see that I am plenty critical of the company as a whole.

It is an actual contribution and adds far more than a Tesla fanboy talking about what they think they can contribute.
LOL, so Tesla owners are automatically fanboys and can't contribute to the discussion of an electric car? Ok, may I please do so as a two-Porsche owner, a life long car enthusiast, and an EV fan since my first drive of the BMW i3, who just happens to also own a Tesla? Does that qualify me? Sheesh.

LOL its funny how wrong all of you were - didn't understand the finer points of the motor, the implications of the 800V system, the brakes, the gearing - nearly all Tesla posters showed was how little they knew and understood. The discussions about performance are particularly funny and were a daily highlight for me.it got particularly funny when the Tesla fanboys were arguing with a guy that owns a race track (a very nice one too).
LOL, I never said anything about the motor. Wrong guy pal. Also, I proved the 800v. system is not giving a significant boost in charging. Don't recall you coming up with proof to dispute that. Nor did you come up with proof to dispute that I said that the standard brakes will likely be fine since the car has three times as much regen as any Tesla. Nah, instead of coming up with an actual argument, you brought out your usual high horse of how a Tesla owner couldn't know anything about performance because blah, blah, blah. And you never showed any stats that indicate the huge advantage that the gearing has. But yeah, I'm wrong. Ok Pal. I have a suggestion. If you want to, you know, actually contribute to the discussion, how about coming up with some facts, or some original ideas instead of some spiv about how us poor Tesla owners don't know anything about performance so we can't understand ? I'll be waiting and more than open to having an actual discussion instead of some shaming nonsense.

The reason I posted the Forbes article four times was because I was trying to get this thread back on track - why? because I'm interested in the evolution of the Taycan in order to determine what the series 2 vehicle will be like - which I may well buy as a quality daily.
I agree, there is already one thread about Teslas on here, not sure why this one got so off track. This will be my last post about Tesla here.

But no - Tesla owners have no interest in letting that happen. They pollute and spoil - and have so little self awareness they can't see why many have no interest in their electric camrys. But then again thats the Tesla play book - spiv, spin and dissemble.
Yup, that's what a blind hater does. Paints with a broad brush, can't see any actual contribution no matter how hard it hits them in the face. Sorry us commoners may have something to add, but we don't need your permission to add it. As much as you would like us to go away. And despite some Tesla-fan posters on here definitely being fanboys, most of us are not. But you can't see that, can you. Because you just blindly ignore it all. Talk about so little self awareness...you literally throw the baby out with the bathwater and then actually call us self-unaware. LOLZ.

"Intelligently discuss whats its like to own and live with an EV.".............are you serious, you sound like its akin to contemplating brain surgery with a spoon - perhaps it is for some Tesla owners, a real intellectual challenge.

They are just electric camrys, there is no mystery, no challenge.......................
Again with the insults. Electric Camrys. We're too intellectually challenged. Hahahaha. I love it. Keep it coming, keep demonstrating how narrow your mind is and just how far down your nose you are looking at the moment.

I never said it was complicated. It's different, and takes some getting used to, but it's not hard. That's your spin. Oh, I wouldn't really call it an electric Camry. More like an electric 3 series. But even if so, the Camry is a huge seller for Toyota and largely considered to be the best car in it's class and has so for decades. So thanks, I'll take that compliment, thanks.

Maybe if you actually stopped with the blind Tesla hate and listened, you might learn something. I'm not sure why I keep trying to contribute. Maybe it's because I come from a family of teachers and professors, but I'm always open to learning, and always aware that no matter what I think I know about a subject, someone out there will have something to teach me on it. But I suppose that your bias precludes you from actually listening to someone with whom you don't agree.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 12-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Taycan Reviews and Videos