Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:27 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
glut?
1. not that many out there
2. even if they are out there sitting and NOT selling, you wonder why. dealers are not that dumb. they would lower the price. but they haven't........

and if there's a glut, GREAT then those who have no RS can now get one at good price. so what is the problem?

price going up: complain
price drops down: complain

how about just buy a fkg car and drive the sh*t out of it?
Mooty - agree completely - these endless threads of value of our cars are so nuts...too much strategy...that suggests to me that many should not be buying these cars if they worry too much about their values. I bought each of my cars to drive - and I do. There are certainly not a "lot" of these cars around - buyers have to search to find an R to their liking, or an RS etc and cannot order one new...and many will pay to have the experience of the latest toy, especially if it is available NOW! There are others who will not pay but then perhaps they will miss out...none of this is complicated. Sheesh.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:39 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Exactly, there are always the outlier buyers that could care less about a $40k markup, they may spend that on a night in Vegas. But if the cars are sitting it's clearly not the majority.
Not sure I follow there's less than 50 cars or so in the US? I call that low supply, and wait for a high roller(: Trust me a dealer is not hurting with a RS on the floor.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:47 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Not sure I follow there's less than 50 cars or so in the US? I call that low supply, and wait for a high roller(: Trust me a dealer is not hurting with a RS on the floor.
High rollers? That ship has sailed. How many high rollers do you know that just have to have last year's model? They want the latest and greatest.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:54 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
High rollers? That ship has sailed. How many high rollers do you know that just have to have last year's model? They want the latest and greatest.
I was being sarcastic actually. Besides that I'm buffuddled that 50 or so cars is considered a Glut ........it's the only model there is no RS for 2017? Besides that people are crying how they have to pay up to 60k for a .2GT3 ......man Porsche is just laughing. Dealers are not broke, and they know the true value of the car ........lastly they control the secret list and tell you where you are? That's a game I will never play too many toys available out there.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I was being sarcastic actually. Besides that I'm buffuddled that 50 or so cars is considered a Glut ........it's the only model there is no RS for 2017? Besides that people are crying how they have to pay up to 60k for a .2GT3 ......man Porsche is just laughing. Dealers are not broke, and they know the true value of the car ........lastly they control the secret list and tell you where you are? That's a game I will never play too many toys available out there.
I agree there is no glut, but I meant those who want the "hot" car have moved on from the RS and on to something else regardless of brand. And most people aren't paying $60k over- that's a dealer pipe dream. The typical ADM is 20-30k right now, and plenty of us are paying MSRP.

The whole issue with Porsche is they take a long time to ramp up supply and so people are fighting over the incremental production yield. Imagine a different approach where Porsche dedicated the line to initial GT3 production and then faded the volume as demand dropped off. You would see news of an abundant initial 6-month allocation release and people would chill out, while Porsche would slow allocation in the back half. This is calculated scarcity with all its inherent effects.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:14 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
glut?
1. not that many out there
2. even if they are out there sitting and NOT selling, you wonder why. dealers are not that dumb. they would lower the price. but they haven't........

and if there's a glut, GREAT then those who have no RS can now get one at good price. so what is the problem?

price going up: complain
price drops down: complain

how about just buy a fkg car and drive the sh*t out of it?
Correct o mundo.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:55 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

While everyone was discussing the nuances of the GT car market forces, I went out and drove mine. I know, crazy talk around here lately.

Not once during the 100 miles I drove today did I care how many RS's there were in the US; whether the prices are up or down; whether the .2 is faster on the ring. Instead I focused on the road ahead of me; the crazy **** eating grins the car provides and how life is short and how much I enjoy driving. People seem to be missing the point of these cars.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:05 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
While everyone was discussing the nuances of the GT car market forces, I went out and drove mine. I know, crazy talk around here lately.

Not once during the 100 miles I drove today did I care how many RS's there were in the US; whether the prices are up or down; whether the .2 is faster on the ring. Instead I focused on the road ahead of me; the crazy **** eating grins the car provides and how life is short and how much I enjoy driving. People seem to be missing the point of these cars.
So true. Well said.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

^

Old 04-23-2017, 02:58 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I think the biggest and the real glut by far is all the RS garage queens in homes & storage facilities across america of owners who are afraid to put miles on or hoping to make more money on them than they paid. That's the real glut. 2000+ RS out there and a fraction of them being driven on road, let alone track.

Most of the cars being used were probably at were at smokeys this week getting launched on the drag strip, driven at AMP, or in the twisties in the rain... was a beautiful sight to see.

Attached Images           
Old 04-23-2017, 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

^ bravo. so wish i could make it ;-(
Old 04-23-2017, 03:15 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I think the biggest and the real glut by far is all the RS garage queens in homes & storage facilities across america of owners who are afraid to put miles on or hoping to make more money on them than they paid. That's the real glut. 2000+ RS out there and a fraction of them being driven on road, let alone track.

Most of the cars being used were probably at were at smokeys this week getting launched on the drag strip, driven at AMP, or in the twisties in the rain... was a beautiful sight to see.
That is totally awesome, I feel bad for all those GT cars that are sitting collecting dust because some people think they are an investment class. If you want to buy an investment, go buy stocks not an RS.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:23 AM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF

I'd caught a nail in my right rear tire and hadn't taken my GT3 out in a few weeks. I got a .2 allocation, and got the tire replaced.

I took the car to work 2 days in a row (about a 50 mile round trip - all highway). It was perfection. So unique. I really love it.

I was thinking what I would do differently in the .2. I couldn't think of a thing. I posted in another thread, I was thinking about a MT and LWB (I have 18 ways). I'm not sure - I may just keep the 18 way and the PDK and do a color change.

For those who mentioned investing in these cars: You're so right, they are not an investment. Every time run the numbers, it's clear one does better in investing in what you know, not the frailties of the Porsche GT3 market. I like to make money as much as the next guy, but cars are not the place to make real money - cars are where you spend real money...
Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was bought as my Toy. Yes it's not a cheap Toy but it's no different than when I was a kid. Play with it and never worry what it's worth after.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:50 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what people are smoking (unless you're in CA then I do).

There are about 40-50 RS's out there and only two handfuls with sub 1000 miles. Dealers are being greedy bastards at $40-$50k over still. So all of this BS about a glut is a joke.

Trust me I'm looking for one and have talked to every dealer this past week who has one. Not speculation, but fact.

May just go buy a 488...at least you can get them at sticker :-)

Quick Reply: Market Glut....GT3 and gt3rs ?