Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Market Glut....GT3 and gt3rs ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

If they areselling for over MSRP then they are not overpriced at their selling price
Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006m5
Trojan I'm thinking the Same thing.
I guess the money they are paying on interest....for sitting on the cars
Don't matter to them.
I just scratch my head.
The floor plan rates are very low, and in the 2% to 3% range. So, even on a $200,000 car, the floor plan cost is $4,000 to $6,000 per year. The biggest risk to dealers with high end, high value inventory is a quick economic downturn.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006m5
Trojan I'm thinking the Same thing.
I guess the money they are paying on interest....for sitting on the cars
Don't matter to them.
I just scratch my head.
They sale enough of the SUV's, and Cayannes to cover the dwell cost. They can care less about a RS or two sitting ...guys that are not desperate. You have a board full of people dying to but their product why should they be concerned?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:28 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Just at lower prices. You said you yourself lost out on two cars that went for $30k and $32k over. Those are the lowest ADMs I've heard of and much lower than what was being paid six months ago. I don't think anyone is saying they're going for sticker or below. Just that the pricing is softening. And there is definitely no shortage of them out there for sale.
Exactly what I was saying.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:54 AM
Colin Greene
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Thanks guys...I'm so damn excited I can't stand it. I know this thread is dedicated to the 'world is ending' so I'll start another incoming thread with all the info.

BTW, for those that believe there is an RS glut, you're smoking something. Everyone listed is WELL above sticker and selling. See them from $35k to $65k. I had two sell from under me within two days (one $30k over the other $32k over).

Delighted for you. Really appreciate the openness and honesty about your experience in the market.

I am absolutely loving driving the nuts off my RS rather than worrying about the "woulda, coulda, shoulda".
Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
They sale enough of the SUV's, and Cayannes to cover the dwell cost. They can care less about a RS or two sitting ...guys that are not desperate. You have a board full of people dying to but their product why should they be concerned?

Market for new RS was $50k over 6months ago. Today it's $25k - $30k over.
Used cars will soon be msrp. Doesn't matter to those that own and enjoy. Just a little higher entry fee. Still a heck of a car to enjoy as a slow depreciating asset.

Those dealers that sit on 2-3 RS that they bought from VIP or other dealers for over msrp are soon going to sweat. They don't own and enjoy. They're trying to run a business. Not good to have depreciating cars taking up space in showroom.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:34 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colin Greene
Delighted for you. Really appreciate the openness and honesty about your experience in the market.

I am absolutely loving driving the nuts off my RS rather than worrying about the "woulda, coulda, shoulda".
Amen brother

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Used cars will soon be msrp. Doesn't matter to those that own and enjoy. Just a little higher entry fee. Still a heck of a car to enjoy as a slow depreciating asset.

Those dealers that sit on 2-3 RS that they bought from VIP or other dealers for over msrp are soon going to sweat. They don't own and enjoy. They're trying to run a business. Not good to have depreciating cars taking up space in showroom.
Well all speculation as the dealers I talked to in the past week (have you actually talked to any?) have ZERO interest on moving cars. Especially the west coast bunch that are MORE than happy to sit on $50k over NO issues. I offered $35 and three different dealers told me to pound sand. I ended up with a better deal, so it worked out. All about timing. As to MSRP, no one knows when...but until then I'll be ripping the hell out of COTA and running errands with a big a$$ smile on my face as I await my .2 RS at MSRP

Like I said, I'm more than willing to admit I paid over. I don't like it, but I don't like a lot of things. One can cry, sit on the side lines, wait for something that may or may not come in the future--OR one can go get what they want and enjoy life.

PS - There are zero RS cars at MSRP on the market...period.

Last edited by ATXGT3; 04-26-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0

I hear you but I slightly disagree they're sweating I live in NYC, and know dealers that sit on cars they can care less. Floor space the car for them is an attraction for gawkers that may buy something else. I also lived in LA, and they don't give a hoot on a RS sitting. Lastly, I offered a dealer in ATL to start at 230k for a RS that had 265k showing ............conversation lasted 3 seconds with a no. Buy they way I purchased my first car from them. They car car sold for more than where I wanted to start. I went to an event with a bunch of P car dealers and many of them own other lots, and they look at the bottom line vs. 1 or 2 cars sitting. Not arguing the point, but the data doesn't suggest your theory. I can sell my car for more than what I paid, but I purchased to drive and can careless about the value it's a toy.

Last edited by Maverick787; 04-26-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

This is exactly what I meant, those that are lucky to own don't care. You guys have fun driving.
Even if you buy at $50k over and sell at Msrp it's still a lot of fun for $$$ spent.

Dealers are not sweating. But, they still hope for the buyer that walks in and don't know the trend.

Prices are trending downwards. So the longer dealer sits on car the less money he will get.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

Personally knowing a dealer principle, I can tell you that they absolutely do not want cars sitting on their lots.. especially GTx cars. 997rs 4.0 is spot on when he says they are in the business of selling not holding cars.
(Although this is a Canadian perspective.)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:34 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Personally knowing a dealer principle, I can tell you that they absolutely do not want cars sitting on their lots.. especially GTx cars. 997rs 4.0 is spot on when he says they are in the business of selling not holding cars.
(Although this is a Canadian perspective.)
Of course they are in the biz of selling cars--but in the US, from someone who just went through it, unless your number is sky high they'd rather wait for the next sucker. This is fact--I just talked to all of them in the past 2 weeks.

For those that think different pick up the phone and hear it straight from them--it's black and white.

Canada is a diff market.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

ATXGT3:👍

The best time to try and buy a .1RS at MSRP will be the announcement/launch of the .2 GT3RS. That will be a short window since the .2 ADMs will be $100k.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Settle down Francis, nobody's saying the world is ending. You're overreacting. The OPs point was simply that there are a lot of cars out there and we are starting to see some trade at lower premiums than a while back. Nothing more.

And there are a lot more than 50 cars out there when you include the cars on dealer lots that are not on Autotrader...
Not sure I agree with your interpretation for what is intended by OP when title is Market Glut. That being said, they are WELL off their highs for sure and likely to trend lower as more 991 GT models are released.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I think we have spent a lot of time on this topic, and I do agree the title is misleading "market glut" .....let's make this easy how RS's were produced vs. sold? I would say it's fair to say maybe 10 or so unsold with high ADM's? Next are resales, and the key word is resale which are still selling higher than MSRP 30k to 60k for some. Guys 488's and 675's are selling for less than MSRP now which are post RS deliveries I believe.

Neither hear nor there, we all like GT cars not sure why there is this "doom and gloom" messaging around prices! When someone sells a home above value in real estate do we say the seller is ripping me off no? I would personally never pay more than a 10% premium for a car, but that's me and if someone does I say nice buy enjoy it. Hell people were paying 50k over for allocations on the GT3.1, and the same will happen with the GT3.2? What I find funny buyers that want a stick, and get one will settle for a PDK ........my point here Porsche is a machine we can't control either jump on the bus or jump off they don't care because they will sell every GT car they make with the dealer being the gate keepers. We have a buyer on the board that has been calling around shopping, and he has real time data that prove there's no "glut" Over supply in my business means you sell as fast as you can, and not wait for the high side of the curve I'm just saying
Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Not sure I agree with your interpretation for what is intended by OP when title is Market Glut. That being said, they are WELL off their highs for sure and likely to trend lower as more 991 GT models are released.
OP was commenting on the large number of cars he saw at a local dealer and that there appeared to be a lot of RS's out there for sale. Which is true. Also true is that there are RS's for sale on dealer lots that are not on sites like Autotrader and Cars.com, so just searching on AT and concluding that there are only 59 cars for sale. Maybe poor choice of thread title by the OP.

Quick Reply: Market Glut....GT3 and gt3rs ?