Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Market Glut....GT3 and gt3rs ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:11 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

I don't know about glut but market has spoken and these cars are just not worth these huge over MSRP. One on eBay got a high bid of $215 and of course didn't sell because he thought he was going to get high $240.

Maybe now all these flippers and speculators will actually take the cars out and drive them since they are not the investment they thought they were.

It was so awesome to see a few of them on the track yesterday at CFOS.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well trust me, they are selling. Can't speak to the flea bay one, but like one dealer told me yesterday. "We'll keep it at $40K and sell it--there are always people out there with more money than brains." And that pretty much sums up how dealers feel.

While WE may not pay over sticker too much, I assure you there are plenty of people who will based upon what I've seen sell over the past 2 weeks.

I'm holding out, or just wait for .2 and let the fun begin again and grab something else next week.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:48 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Mine was bought as my Toy. Yes it's not a cheap Toy but it's no different than when I was a kid. Play with it and never worry what it's worth after.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Not sure I follow there's less than 50 cars or so in the US? I call that low supply, and wait for a high roller(: Trust me a dealer is not hurting with a RS on the floor.
Buyers are waiting for the next RS, how long until it arrives?
Old 04-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Buyers are waiting for the next RS, how long until it arrives?
Not sure about waiting for a car thats more than a year out ......can't live life on what you may or may not get. The best way to get an RS is to trade one back. Some paid 100k over for the current, best believe the hype will be insane on the next one. Ageee prices are insane, but they are driven by the people, and Porsche just watches and reel them into the Porsche boat(: I enjoy my Porsche, and all the ones before but it just a car to me. There's a few thousand RS owners .....noway they're just passing on 50 cars sitting. Remember these cars have been sold once or twice so technically all cars have been sold.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin Greene
One very recent datapoint - Stevens Creek Porsche had 2 GT3RS (a GT silver and white).

I bid on the white one at $35K over c. 3 months ago and was rejected. It is now since sold, at an estimated double that premium according to the sales guy i spoke to last week. The silver one is still there and they are asking $90K over.

Doubtless they will not get that, but I assure you the market is still very much premium in the Bay Area at least. That they are all sitting on lots gathering dust is not 100% true.
Agreed to an extent. That was the data point I referred to last week, and the guy paid more than twice what you offered. And way more than what I offered. The only caveat is that the buyer was a bit unique, the car was one of the few totally brand new cars out there, and, as you probably know, the GT Silver one has been sitting for a long, long time.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Not sure about waiting for a car thats more than a year out ......can't live life on what you may or may not get. The best way to get an RS is to trade one back. Some paid 100k over for the current, best believe the hype will be insane on the next one. Ageee prices are insane, but they are driven by the people, and Porsche just watches and reel them into the Porsche boat(: I enjoy my Porsche, and all the ones before but it just a car to me. There's a few thousand RS owners .....noway they're just passing on 50 cars sitting. Remember these cars have been sold once or twice so technically all cars have been sold.
But there's a lot more than 50 cars out there for sale. There were that many on Autotrader the last time I checked and none of the ones on dealer lots out here were on Autotrader. A short time ago, there were 5-6 RS's I knew of at local dealers and none of them were on AT or Cars.com.

That said, the way I see the market is that many of the RS's that are out there 'for sale' at high premiums aren't really for sale in any real sense. The current market for RS's is highly illiquid with a wide bid-ask spread. A lot of people have cars up there just hoping to be the one that snags a high bid. They're really owners who would sell if the price were high enough, who just throw an ad up there - more of a feeler ad. They're not really sellers at a current market clearing price. So the only data that is truly relevant is the actual price at which actual cars are selling, not the ask or the bid. Same thing on the .2 GT3. Dealer asks of $xx over are irrelevant data. All that matters is what people actually paid.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

The market in general, is softening.

Whenever that happens, sellers expectations lag buyers demand. Thus the sitting cars.

In a perfect world, these things would depreciate at about 10% a year so you could drive the living snot out of them with impunity.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:44 PM
Colin Greene
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

That said, the way I see the market is that many of the RS's that are out there 'for sale' at high premiums aren't really for sale in any real sense. The current market for RS's is highly illiquid with a wide bid-ask spread. A lot of people have cars up there just hoping to be the one that snags a high bid. They're really owners who would sell if the price were high enough, who just throw an ad up there - more of a feeler ad. They're not really sellers at a current market clearing price. So the only data that is truly relevant is the actual price at which actual cars are selling, not the ask or the bid. Same thing on the .2 GT3. Dealer asks of $xx over are irrelevant data. All that matters is what people actually paid.
I think the same point applies to so called "buyers". As in, "i am totally in the market if you will sell that GT3Rs to me at MSRP - XX%", even though everyone else right now (I know of no exceptions) is paying MSRP +alpha on new cars at least.

Your not a buyer if you are not actually erm, buying.

In the market as it stands today, you have no "right" to MSRP if the market is saying otherwise.

Totally agree though the market has softened, I just am not witnessing the post 991 GT3.2 and pre RS.2 price drop catastrophe some people were predicting.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:44 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
While everyone was discussing the nuances of the GT car market forces, I went out and drove mine. I know, crazy talk around here lately.

Not once during the 100 miles I drove today did I care how many RS's there were in the US; whether the prices are up or down; whether the .2 is faster on the ring. Instead I focused on the road ahead of me; the crazy **** eating grins the car provides and how life is short and how much I enjoy driving. People seem to be missing the point of these cars.
Ditto. I drove out to and around bear mountain area in the rain (might as well; it's destined to be a paper weight by year end). Park had opened the twisties that were closed during the winter and no one was out there. Damn that car is fun! Even off the track. Then I drove back home with my creature comforts: blue tooth, music streaming, compliant suspension. Love the 991rs more and more every time I drive it, after being a die hard 997 (and older) 3-pedal zealot. I declared porsche dead to me when 991 Gt3 was launched. I protested and didn't buy it. I finally caved and bought an RS and now realize I was an idiot for joining the party so late. I never think "are values going up or down next"; I just jump in it and drive and grin
Old 04-23-2017, 05:45 PM
NYCone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Don't know what people are smoking (unless you're in CA then I do).

There are about 40-50 RS's out there and only two handfuls with sub 1000 miles. Dealers are being greedy bastards at $40-$50k over still. So all of this BS about a glut is a joke.

Trust me I'm looking for one and have talked to every dealer this past week who has one. Not speculation, but fact.

May just go buy a 488...at least you can get them at sticker :-)
I was poking around some Ferraris before I got my .2 allocation. Take a look at the 458 Speciales. I found a few +/- MSRP. That's where I was going before I got my .2 spot.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:06 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by NYCone
I was poking around some Ferraris before I got my .2 allocation. Take a look at the 458 Speciales. I found a few +/- MSRP. That's where I was going before I got my .2 spot.
Yep they are starting to become 'reasonable'. Still holding out for RS and my two dealers are both telling me no for .2--so will play that game when they start to hit market. Oh joy. Hell, I'm going to buy a Corvette and call it a day--NOT
Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Old 04-23-2017, 08:14 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Yep they are starting to become 'reasonable'. Still holding out for RS and my two dealers are both telling me no for .2--so will play that game when they start to hit market. Oh joy. Hell, I'm going to buy a Corvette and call it a day--NOT
Welcome back.
Still have the Lambo?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:34 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by bronson7
Welcome back.
Still have the Lambo?
Na, have blown through another one, 458, R8 V10+ and a few others.

The only car I EVER regret selling and REALLY miss is GT3...so now I either bend over for RS or wait for .2.

Was going to grab 488, but just CANNOT go turbo--not when I have NA options.

Hope you are well my friend

Quick Reply: Market Glut....GT3 and gt3rs ?