Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:48 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I swear there is more discussion on McLarens on this forum than over on the dedicated McLaren forums .
No joke. I wish I saw this thread months ago. Too much to read now.

I have gone from a 13 C2S to a 15 991 Turbo to a 16 Z06 to a 16 McLaren 570S and to a 16 650S Spider. I have car ADD.

I had my 15 Turbo for just under a year. It has always been my dream car, but I just found it a bit too boring, even with a Europipe exhaust. After the mistake that was my Z06, I struggled to decide between a 15 GT3 or the new 570S.

When I drove the GT3, I realized that if I had ordered that car instead of the 991 Turbo, I would still have it. It was great, but it was missing options that were vital to me. So I bit the bullet and became a McLaren owner. I loved the 570S so much that after 3 months I had to "upgrade" to the 650S for the better (for me) suspension and a drop top. I have had the car since last June, and I still smile every day that I drive it - including the many days I drive it to my office in NYC.

My 2 cents - Porsche makes amazing cars. I have owned my 16 Cayenne Turbo S since June of 15, and I love it. Best all around vehicle I have ever owned. So I am a huge fan of the brand.

But McLaren has created a special car. I cannot say enough about the carbon tub and just how stiff the chassis feels. And they go like stink. Ran a 10.275 @ 135 in the 570S at Atco and a 10.222 @ 138 in the 650S at Atco.

I am lucky that I have a dealer within 10 miles of my home, and two dealers within 30 miles. To me, that is the largest impediment to McLaren growing in the US. You have got to have more dealerships for people to touch and feel the cars. Building great cars is only going to take you so far for a buyer who needs to travel 500 miles for service.

Cost of ownership - no doubt you will see some serious value drop on McLarens. But I got whacked on my 991 Turbo and whacked on my Z06. Cost of service - you don't decide to not buy a $200k plus car because the service is too much. If a $1,500 annual service is too much to swallow (my upcoming Cayenne service will run $1,100 btw), then you probably are stretching to get the car in the first place.

Anyway - we are so lucky to have access to so many great cars, and I am "this" close to ordering a 991.2 GT3 as another toy. Trying to figure out how far I can press my luck at home.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
Cost of ownership - no doubt you will see some serious value drop on McLarens. But I got whacked on my 991 Turbo and whacked on my Z06. Cost of service - you don't decide to not buy a $200k plus car because the service is too much. If a $1,500 annual service is too much to swallow (my upcoming Cayenne service will run $1,100 btw), then you probably are stretching to get the car in the first place.
I have a hard time believing the annual maintenance cost on a 570S would be only $1,500/year over the long term.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Ferraris have 7 year free maintenance, so $0.. much cheaper than a porsche if you can swing the Msrp and the depreciation. Also.. (just my 2c)... don't buy a 488.. it's just not the exciting car they make it out to be. Find a "slower" 458 used and rev the ***** off of it, or if you want turbo get a mclaren, which is a car with a chassis to actually match the engine.
Had no idea they had free maintenance. Re: models, I know a lot of people prefer the 458, but I'd much rather have a 488 myself. Actually, I'd really like the new Superfast, but I'd take a 488. Aside from the maintenance cost fears, I struggle with the whole Ferrari image thing. I'd love owning and driving the car, but wouldn't care to be seen in it or want anybody to know I owned it. Hide it away, sneak in and out, kinda like the bat cave.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:04 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
And that's my point. So many people talking about getting fed up with their Porsche dealer (eg. paying over sticker, getting on a long list) and want to switch to the Mclaren camp, none of them realize how cheap it is to run a Porsche.

The inconvenient truth is that GT3 is about two tiers BELOW the Mclaren cars, both in terms of MSRP and the cost of ownership. First year service is $400 vs $1300-1500, second year service is $1200-1400 vs. $3200-3500 and this goes on. Parts takes much longer order for Mclaren, especially coming from the UK. True, Mclaren do stock parts at the dealership level, but they usually have one set of each. So if you and another car need the same part at the same time, one of you will need to wait a long time. This is not to mention Mclaren's reliability is nowhere close to Porsche. Same thing goes for Ferrari.

People cut Ferrari a lot of slack because it's Ferrari, and they are built by Italians. Poor fit and finish, check. Bad paint job, of course! Passion and flare, lots of it!

Yup couldn't say it better, especially about Ferrari haha. Especially the case if you're the track the hell out of it. Ferrari bill is going to rack up at an alarming rate.

Interesting as I feel like the fit and finish on modern Ferrari is one of the strong points.

Even on modern Ferraris like 458, F12, and California T, you still see a lot of places where you're like "really??!" Also a lot of paint defects here and there.

Ferraris have 7 year free maintenance, so $0.. much cheaper than a porsche if you can swing the Msrp and the depreciation. Also.. (just my 2c)... don't buy a 488.. it's just not the exciting car they make it out to be. Find a "slower" 458 used and rev the ***** off of it, or if you want turbo get a mclaren, which is a car with a chassis to actually match the engine.
Originally Posted by Archimedes
Had no idea they had free maintenance. Re: models, I know a lot of people prefer the 458, but I'd much rather have a 488 myself. Actually, I'd really like the new Superfast, but I'd take a 488. Aside from the maintenance cost fears, I struggle with the whole Ferrari image thing. I'd love owning and driving the car, but wouldn't care to be seen in it or want anybody to know I owned it. Hide it away, sneak in and out, kinda like the bat cave.

Actually the Ferrari maintenance plan doesn't include as much as you'd think, just the basics, so its not like your BMW where you're included bumper to bumper on any sort of service/maintenance.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting as I feel like the fit and finish on modern Ferrari is one of the strong points.
Surely you jest. The paint finish on any Ferrari that isn't a 3 layer custom job is awful and the general fit and finish is imo far from worthy of a car of that kind of price despite the expensive materials being used. And then you start looking under the skin to see how the cars are put together mechanically and it's even worse....
Old 04-19-2017, 07:32 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Surely you jest. The paint finish on any Ferrari that isn't a 3 layer custom job is awful and the general fit and finish is imo far from worthy of a car of that kind of price despite the expensive materials being used. And then you start looking under the skin to see how the cars are put together mechanically and it's even worse....
Yup yup. But hey, it's Ferrari and I love them, especially the lightweight special editions.

I will give you a perfect example of Ferrari fit and finish. Next time when you see a LaFerrari, go look at the front wheels. If you look close enough, you will see the wheel weight balancers are placed on the outer part of the rim. Yes, on the outer part of the rim, directly from the factory
Old 04-19-2017, 11:58 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Simply not true - all special paints are painted outside the factory. I took delivery of an SV Roadster is was the worst paint ever at 15K extra.

Ferrari's special paint is worth every dime does not have to be tri layer even the panels fit better. Have a Grigio Ferro 16M and Tri layer FF had many before.

Feel free to look at any V12 - they are the best fit and finish cars made the V8's are fine but no where near the V12's hardly what you are stating. FF has leather rear leather floors leather tire cover - the extra's determine the finish just like MSO CXX etc.

I bought an RS it has more plastic than the SV - love the cars anyway my McLaren had loose plastic door handles that did not work same with the radio nav - welcome to the Italians and British they have flair no one else has that panache regardless they are the most beautiful sound good and fast. Every car has it's positives and negatives they can all be picked apart if that's the intent - why were you looking under the skin of the car

Just took delivery of a Viper - Ford GT is being painted at the same plant 150k car vs 450k car so nothing really makes sense other than Ferrari sells almost every car before it's made - meaning they could produce a Alfa throw a Scuderia shield on it and charge 150k by calling it a Dino.

Anyway I love this thread looking forward to learning about the 720 Spider
Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts

Ferraris are the most beautiful to look at, but fit and finish not as good as Porsche, Ferrari reliability is much better since the 458 generation, but still not that good if you actually drive your car like a sports car and/or track your cars.

Also Ferraris attract too much attention, so when and where you do actually use them?

I've considered a 458 for years, but not enough reason to get a 458 over my 991 GT3 that I love, track, drive everywhere, etc.

Also agree with Alexio that since Ferrari went turbo, mclaren is a much better performance choice in this price bracket, given the mclaren tech and much lower weight. Without a manual or NA engine you can't make the Ferrari is a more passionate car argument.

Ferrari is still a much better car cosmetically than mclaren though, so if you don't track I can see why people choose 488 over 650/720.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-20-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
My recent 2 year/12,000 mile service on my 15 GT3 was $1300.
Your dealer overcharged you.
It must be a southern CA tax. I thought the 2 yr service (including oil change, plugs, brake flush) was expensive, so I called a local well known Porsche tuner and their price was only a $300 less than the dealer.
Also, out of curiosity I will call the mcleran dealer to see how much the 2 yr service is on a 570 S - I was under the impression that it was $1500 as well, but I may be wrong
Old 04-20-2017, 12:34 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCturbo
It must be a southern CA tax. I thought the 2 yr service (including oil change, plugs, brake flush) was expensive, so I called a local well known Porsche tuner and their price was only a $300 less than the dealer.
Also, out of curiosity I will call the mcleran dealer to see how much the 2 yr service is on a 570 S - I was under the impression that it was $1500 as well, but I may be wrong
I did mine at Hoehn Porsche (San Diego), although mine didn't include a brake flush as I don't think that's part of the standard 2 year service.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-20-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,275 Likes on 612 Posts

Some porsche dealers are charging 200-250 an hour for service in SoCal. Helps pay for their fancy new showrooms.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:11 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Some porsche dealers are charging 200-250 an hour for service in SoCal. Helps pay for their fancy new showrooms.
Think it's worthwhile to get service quotes from multiple SoCal Porsche dealers as they aren't that far apart physically and some charge significantly less than others.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,275 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Think it's worthwhile to get service quotes from multiple SoCal Porsche dealers as they aren't that far apart physically and some charge significantly less than others.
You are right but even BMW stores in OC overcharge at similar rates
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Standard in Austria:

Old 04-20-2017, 11:03 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Actually the Ferrari maintenance plan doesn't include as much as you'd think, just the basics, so its not like your BMW where you're included bumper to bumper on any sort of service/maintenance.
Bumper to bumper warranty is three years, unlimited miles. All scheduled maintenance as called for in the owners manual is covered for seven years.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success