Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:58 AM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I really enjoy driving my 570S but my 2 week ownership has been full of headaches.

Transport issues
ESC Fault Limphome error
Brake pedal sensor issue
Satellite radio skipping in and out
Radio not even recognized by the car now
Speedometer off by 10 mph at 100 mph
Odometer puts on miles 10% quicker than all my other cars
Comfort seat entry only works occasionally

McLaren fixed the ESC Fault and brake sensor and either "can't reproduce" my other complaints or say it is "normal". I have photos to prove it all. I'm frustrated.
Similar feelings here.
I still have an unresolved CEL with P0128 code. After 3 weeks in service to fix coolant leak and some other minor issues. Coolant leak due to poorly designed clamps seems like a regular issue for the 605s. I was seriously considering the 720s but now I have second thoughts. The main issue is the distance to the nearest service.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:13 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I really enjoy driving my 570S but my 2 week ownership has been full of headaches.

Transport issues
ESC Fault Limphome error
Brake pedal sensor issue

McLaren fixed the ESC Fault and brake sensor and either "can't reproduce" my other complaints or say it is "normal". I have photos to prove it all. I'm frustrated.
Sorry to hear - I feel the same frustration at Porsche right now with our second Macan still having issues despite about 45 days in service and everything left being in the "can't reproduce bucket". I think it is just the reality of modern, mass produced computer controlled cars.

The macan decided to reboot itself while on the freeway with Porsche Active Safe going at 75mph. I guess it has had enough that it would rather just crash itself now...
Old 05-04-2017, 11:15 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Cosign on that.

A well specced car is always worth more in the long run.
You mean like blurple stripes on a grey LT spider.. HELL YES
Old 05-04-2017, 11:17 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Is it for each track day or for each year of track driving? If it's two dealer visits for every track day, it's beyond ridiculous. People beach and moan about having to replace GT3's center lock nuts once after every ~60 track days, and that's not even on the same scale.

I really like McLaren cars but with the goal of 15-20+ track days a year, I really need to take such things into account.
Well, I go about 2-3 track days in between the pre and post and my dealer has no problem with it. In the end, the costs of running an LT on track like brakes, pads, tires FAR outweighs the 400 fee for track inspection.

Hence, I track my miata most of the time, my GT4 I did a few runs in and the LT maybe once every 2-3 months.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:34 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Regarding NA emissions, and there are also fleet standards to consider, but VAG's V10 achieves compliance with a combination of both port and direct injection.
I assume other manufacturers can do something similar to avoid the pitfalls of using turbos.
Electrified turbos may be a different animal; GT2 RS?
Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Transport issues
ESC Fault Limphome error
Brake pedal sensor issue

Went thru that on early MP4 - no way would I buy a Mac at the onset hoping they get you sorted out because they can if they want to.

Suggest taking your issues to the top and let them satisfy you.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:54 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

Look, Mclaren makes great drivers cars. People who complained that their cars were unemotional and soulless don't know what they are talking about. When I had my 12C, I loved it......when it was working. The quality of Mclaren just sucked, period. If you look at the 720S press review videos, some of them can't even get the doors to shut properly, lol.

If Mclaren pulls the same kind of quality as they did with the initial 12C launch on the 720s, the values of those things will drop like a rock.

Even the P1 have a crap ton of issues, but P1 owners don't like to talk about them. Maybe CJ will shed a light, like the time where his P1's wing failed on COTA and almost crashed (but didn't, because he is a good driver).
Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I've only driven the 570. So don't have a lot of experience with the brand.
However,

When you read and hear these stories about reliability, it sure makes it harder to visit the mclaren dealer.
The Mclaren F1 team doesn't really help. Watching the lack of speed and reliability is just bad news for the brand.
Even if I know it has pretty much nothing to do with the street cars.
They are still the new kid on the block and really hope they succeed. Puts good pressure on Porsche and Ferrari to stay on top of their game.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:41 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I've only driven the 570. So don't have a lot of experience with the brand.
However,

When you read and hear these stories about reliability, it sure makes it harder to visit the mclaren dealer.
The Mclaren F1 team doesn't really help. Watching the lack of speed and reliability is just bad news for the brand.
Even if I know it has pretty much nothing to do with the street cars.
They are still the new kid on the block and really hope they succeed. Puts good pressure on Porsche and Ferrari to stay on top of their game.
I really wanted to like the McLarens, history racing, the F1 and I now have a dealer in town so thought it was a done deal. Really wanted to support them but they are just not there yet. I think they are improving rapidly, but you still need a mechanic on speed dial
Old 05-05-2017, 04:27 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

A lot of bs in this thread from people who have not owned or driven a Mclaren. I have a 675LT spider, I own a 991 GT3 RS and a 991 GT3, and used to own a 650s spider.

My Mclarens have been just as reliable as my Porsches(and my prior pcars) and more reliable than any Ferrari I have owned.

If I could keep only one it would be my Mclaren. I am sure the 720s will spank a 488gtb, huracan, and the .2gt3(but it should do to the price difference).

I believe everyone felt that the 720s would be better than a 675LT because of their "cleaning ladies info". It's different, but it is better than its predecessor the 650s.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:35 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
Well, I go about 2-3 track days in between the pre and post and my dealer has no problem with it. In the end, the costs of running an LT on track like brakes, pads, tires FAR outweighs the 400 fee for track inspection.

Hence, I track my miata most of the time, my GT4 I did a few runs in and the LT maybe once every 2-3 months.
I see. Yes, if they pick up and drop off the car so it does not take your time, and you can bundle more than one day between inspections, it's not too bad. It's easy to get spoiled with GT3 needing service beyond what I can do in an hour just twice a year or so.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:06 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
A lot of bs in this thread from people who have not owned or driven a Mclaren. I have a 675LT spider, I own a 991 GT3 RS and a 991 GT3, and used to own a 650s spider.

My Mclarens have been just as reliable as my Porsches(and my prior pcars) and more reliable than any Ferrari I have owned.

If I could keep only one it would be my Mclaren. I am sure the 720s will spank a 488gtb, huracan, and the .2gt3(but it should do to the price difference).

I believe everyone felt that the 720s would be better than a 675LT because of their "cleaning ladies info". It's different, but it is better than its predecessor the 650s.
My SV has been in the shop few months. 612 16M spent it's time there as well as my FF.

GT3RS and Carrera GT are ridiculous - perfect. Agree they all have their issues but Mac is a techie car and I dislike tech so many issues guys think are a big deal didn't bother me but there were issues outside the tech that made it hard to own like the dealer 300 miles away and dealer being slow to respond with issues because Ferrari's came first.

If McLaren would add dealers sales would be spread out and serviced much better soaking up production. Placing Macs at Ferrari Aston etc dealers was just silly. I hate to see McLaren get beat up it's a far better car they just add too much tech for me to take it on new. Between 675LT Spider and a Speciale even tempted to sell something to have one of each they are the two cars that will go down in history for different reasons neither will ever become boring. McLaren Lambo Ferrari it comes down to the dealers willingness to satisfy their customers.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:27 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I was at COTA watching the GT4 series today. The 570's were inpressive. They took 1 and 2. Good racing CJ, unfortunate with the gas/yellow flag situation. Next time.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:49 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 365 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Look, Mclaren makes great drivers cars. People who complained that their cars were unemotional and soulless don't know what they are talking about. When I had my 12C, I loved it......when it was working. The quality of Mclaren just sucked, period. If you look at the 720S press review videos, some of them can't even get the doors to shut properly, lol.

If Mclaren pulls the same kind of quality as they did with the initial 12C launch on the 720s, the values of those things will drop like a rock.

Even the P1 have a crap ton of issues, but P1 owners don't like to talk about them. Maybe CJ will shed a light, like the time where his P1's wing failed on COTA and almost crashed (but didn't, because he is a good driver).
Just the doors on the 720s, have a look at this. He had to go back and park it up.....Lol

I get pre-production issues etc, even more so on new models. But to put cars out like this to worlds press to test............
Old 05-06-2017, 12:44 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unotaz

It's kind of like somehow landing a super hot wife above your playing field and turns out there's all these horrible issues... I wouldn't say a word... LOL

But in all seriousness, this is why I rarely ever get a first year of any all new (greater than 70% new) outside of a Porsche. I got a second year 12C. 675LT is essentially the same car as the 12C but with a lot of fine tuning to get it where it is. And I and many others have had 0 problems, and I've put on 4500 miles tracking.

In fact, many McLaren owners track - and there are stupid small issues, like electrical glitches etc... but in general the car is pretty solid at the performance envelope I've pushed mine at.

But again, I would stay away from the 720S until another year, after the glitches and software updates are worked out.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success