Notices

Porsches in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I'm not worried about value or depreciation. That only matters if I plan to sell a vehicle.
That's interesting, because you spent some time on previous pages arguing about how driving your car in the winter causes it to depreciate faster and is a reason not to do so. If you aren't worried about depreciation, this doesn't seem like a very good argument does it?

I bought it as a toy; an evening and weekend sunny day driver.
If you bought it as a toy, you're missing out on a lot of fun to be had with it. That's like getting an action figure as a kid and not taking it out of the packaging because you're afraid to spill your apple juice on it.

Why would I drive it in the winter when I have a daily driver that is probably far more reliable and infinitely better in a snow storm.
You won't know unless you try will you?

I wonder how many of these winter drivers actually use it as their primary vehicle while having another vehicle at their disposal?
If you read what people have posted you will realize that they do have other vehicles at their disposal, and drive their P-cars daily simply because they want to.

I'm talking about those who actually take theirs out in the biggest of snowstorms, not some dry road event. LOL
No, your original argument was against drivng a Porsche in the winter, period. Are you now saying that you would take your car out in the conditions shown in the pictures?

edit: Just because the roads looked dry on that particular day doesn't mean the cars don't see slush and snow. Remember, the pictures were to prove the condition of the cars, not the conditions of the roads.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
That's interesting, because you spent some time on previous pages arguing about how driving your car in the winter causes it to depreciate faster and is a reason not to do so. If you aren't worried about depreciation, this doesn't seem like a very good argument does it?

Can you show me the post where I used that specific word on previous pages?

I won't argue that real winter driving isn't tougher on a car, and I think I've stated that a few times.

I never worry about depreciation because I am not one to trade-in or sell my car every few years. I worry about long time use, so I look after them, be it a so called Garage Queen or my daily driver.

In fact, go to the original post:
So I am driving my Porsche in the winter. Got a problem with that?!?! Waddaya think?
Why would anyone bring that up if that was the norm? He asked; I replied. Now if he or anyone else doesn't like the response, I can't help them with their issues.

I think I got the motive figured out: people hate Garage Queens because it makes their cars harder to sell. LOL

Oh and by the way, the 2005 997 I looked at was in far worse shape than the 1995 993 I ended up with. Talk about underside corrosion on the aluminium parts. But then, it was winter driven.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I think this guys just likes to argue really .. and I vote him most over-user of the "LOL" .. already , and it's only January.
Disrespectful to the marque ? .. dude it is only a car .. not a freakin God . get over it .. and besides .. Ferry would have told you it is disrespectful to park the thing .. you may be a ***** and afraid to drive your car in the snow .. okay we get that .. just don't cast dispersions on other people because they are not, and you feel badly that you can't winter drive a rear wheel drive car .
I am like you , I don't drive my car in winter .. but given my car is 32 years old and in pretty good shape ( certainly not the best 993 on the planet like yours ..by the way did you fix the dent in the door ? ) . I think my car has earned the right to rest for a few months ... but i don't rip into my fellow Porsche drivers who drive their cars 365 ..
If you are turning this into the usual very tired quebecer arguement ... you people in Ontario don't know what winter is ... this has nothing to do with Porsche ..and at the risk of offending a lot of very good French friends I have .. and make up about a third of our get togethers .. your predicatable "Quebecer" rant is old and tired ,,, take it somepleace else..

..have a nice day ..
Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I drive in the Snow, coz it Fun and Porsche is a Fun a Car... i dont care about Value, its just a Numer to me :P
Old 01-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex, you're just being argumentative now.. I just have two words to say.

GO HABS.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
I think this guys just likes to argue really ..
i agree
Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
i agree
Pongo had it right....IGNORE.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
I don't think his point was to show you what winter looks like, the pictures were posted to prove to you that despite driving the cars all year round, they are in excellent condition and well taken care of.
I don't like to feed the trolls but since I can only now see his posts in other peoples quotes here goes:
A few pics to show the same car in it's various states. Oh yeah, doesn't the yellow 993 that I'm lapping at Mosport look familiar? Hmmm, wonder what being "track-flogged" will do to its value?
Don't really want to get into an argument about what constitutes a snowstorm with someone who thinks a CR-V is the ultimate winter weapon and more reliable than a Porsche. But apparently he's the resident expert on everything from cars, to drivers, to value appraisals and even weather percipitations so maybe he will enlighten us.
Attached Images      

Last edited by pongobaz; 01-10-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added one more pic for the troll
Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sputter
Alex, you're just being argumentative now.
Not really, but it was fun discussing the issue.

It was nice to see quite a few others that shared my point of view. I guess they are wrong also.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:10 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I don't like to feed the trolls but since I can only now see his posts in other peoples quotes here goes:
Bud, nice pic of the car on the track, but if you were really racing, the front of it would be pitted to the extreme, or have you not seen a real track car after just one race?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

*cough* troll *cough*
Old 01-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Sputter
Pro

It started out as a difference of opinion now it's just silly.
Alex, you're sliping into
Old 01-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

This is ridiculous...

Alex, it's not about being right or wrong, everybody has their own opinion, and hell they can do whatever they want with their cars. The tone of your posts is off for this forum... Or at least for this thread...
Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tonga3
Do any of you rust proof your vehicles if you are driving them in the winter, if so who do you use?
Tonga3, I sent you a PM with more rustproofing info based on personal experience.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that Ben was gonne... waite a minute, is Ben back?

Quick Reply: Porsches in the winter