Porsches in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
tonga3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Alex.
Originally Posted by IXLR8
Tonga3, I sent you a PM with more rustproofing info based on personal experience.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
*cough* troll *cough*
Hahaha. Thank you Captain Obvious.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not worried about value or depreciation. That only matters if I plan to sell a vehicle.

I bought it as a toy; an evening and weekend sunny day driver. Why would I drive it in the winter when I have a daily driver that is probably far more reliable and infinitely better in a snow storm.

I wonder how many of these winter drivers actually use it as their primary vehicle while having another vehicle at their disposal? I'm talking about those who actually take theirs out in the biggest of snowstorms, not some dry road event. LOL

The fact is I can't, but I can judge what condition a used car is in. Plus you'd think a low mileage car will normally have most of its miles put on in the summer, not in the winter. Now if it has been though some of those TO winter drives to those meets, I'm not too worried based on what some in TO call winter driving. LOL

I've spend quite a bit of time underneath it. I like what I see.

I have two other vehicles at my disposal, a BMW 545i and a Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. I rarely drive the Subaru in the WINTER. Or however you want to define winter now (to me, it's roughly the entire period between 22 December and 21 March, not just the days when we have snow on the road)

And yes, you are right, most people would not be so stupid to drive the Porsche knowing that there is not enough ground clearance after a major snow storm. That's just common sense. But why wouldn't you be able to drive it otherwise? At least inside the GTA, we have a half decent snow clearing system. As a result, I reserve my Subaru for those rare days when I am concerned that there is not enough ground clearance because snow has yet to be cleared. As a result, it has under 40,000km even though it's almost 8 yrs old.

And by the way, if you are really interested in a 4wd vehicle, get a real 4wd. Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t09ExAUgtyE Your CR-V is pretty much a fwd car.

And some have said as well. Driving a rwd car in the snow can be challenging if you don't know what you are doing. If I were you, after looking so hard for your nice little toy, I wouldn't want to risk damaging it because of driver's error. Even a little ding on the bumper can lower the value of the car. And even if you don't care about the value of it, I bet it still sucks to have to pay to fix the damage.

By the way, speaking of low mileage car. Of the three cars, my Subaru has the lowest milage.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:15 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
( certainly not the best 993 on the planet like yours ..by the way did you fix the dent in the door ? )
I've spend quite a bit of time underneath it. I like what I see.
theiceman, where was the dent in the door? If it was underneath the car, he said he likes what he saw.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Retrofishy
Advanced

YIKES!!! What did I start???
Found a nice place on Laird that does touchfree hand washing. I just came out and a newish black carrera covertible was pulling in to get cleaned. And the rims are safe!

Almost finshed redoing the garage. Will post when finished...

Retrofishy
Old 01-10-2010, 11:28 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Retrofishy
YIKES!!! What did I start???
Found a nice place on Laird that does touchfree hand washing. I just came out and a newish black carrera covertible was pulling in to get cleaned. And the rims are safe!

Almost finshed redoing the garage. Will post when finished...

Retrofishy
Which one is this? Years ago, I went to one on Laird and the rims were scratched after the wash. The rest of the car was okay. Go figure.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a couple of coin-op washes where I go to blast off all the muck in winter then I bring it into my garage and wash it with Optimum No Rinse; great stuff and you only need one pail of warm water to do the whole car and no water mess on the floor. Do post some pics of your garage when you're done...here's a pic of where I keep my "winter beater".
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did that this weekend. My hands were frozen after the 10 minutes it took to get it nce and clean. Of course, by the time i tried to dry it, the water in spots had frozen. I guess cleaning the car when its -10c. And of course, it snowed today, so it will be dirty by the time I get home. Ill post some pics out in the element when I can.

Btw, nice garage.

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I have a couple of coin-op washes where I go to blast off all the muck in winter then I bring it into my garage and wash it with Optimum No Rinse; great stuff and you only need one pail of warm water to do the whole car and no water mess on the floor. Do post some pics of your garage when you're done...here's a pic of where I keep my "winter beater".
Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Sputter
Pro

Phil, are those 12x12 tiles? 2 years ago I used the rustolum kit but I find it's wearing too fast. I need to do something different this summer.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sputter
Phil, are those 12x12 tiles? 2 years ago I used the rustolum kit but I find it's wearing too fast. I need to do something different this summer.
Yes, they are. It's the same material as the Racedeck stuff from the US but made locally and half the cost. They all snap together and float on the cement floor, so no adhesive is used; I usually use the leaf blower to clean the floor of dust/leaves/etc, and a mop with water/vinegar to get it spotless again. They have little vent cuts that allow any trapped moisture to evaporate. Took about 4 hours total to put them together...most of the time was spent moving **** out of the way. The only caution you have to take is if you use a jack on it as it will mark the floor. What I did was buy a couple of small sheets of steel that I put under the jack to spread the load; no marking.
Second winter with the floor and it's great.
Link to the vendor (no affiliation): http://fastflor.com/
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Sputter
Pro

Yay yah, now I remember. :-) I contacted them last year asking about dropping tools on the tiles.
Thanks for the link, I think that's the way to go.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Well on my car the 4S stands for "4 Snow"...
Old 01-19-2010, 01:42 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Well on my car the 4S stands for "4 Snow"...
I thought the "S" stands for Sound, or Shocker
Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
I thought the "S" stands for Sound, or Shocker
No its not a Turbo...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Retrofishy
So I am driving my Porsche in the winter. Go a problem with that?!?!

I purchased winter tires and rims from Tire Rack...great customer service and a great price. see pic...

And gave it a "Winter" car wash the other day...

Waddaya think?

Retrofishy
2007 997 Targa 4
THIS is what I like to see - people enjoying these cars all year long!

Are those the sport edition wheels? I have a similar set on my Mazdaspeed 3 - they have held up pretty well over the last 2 years - the center cap hole seems to be susceptible to a little bit of bubbling on the finish - I was advised to rinse/wipe them off periodically.

Do you have any spacers on those ones?b
Also, anyone know what the ideal offset for the 996 C4S is (is it 50 upfront and 40 in the rear)?

As for resale values of past comments - yeah, driving the car year round might affect resale a bit - but did you buy the car for the next person?? Personally, I'd rather buy a car from someone who has taken care of it for the past 200,000km vs the guy who neglected it for only 20,000km.

Cheers!
Oh yeah, the "S" stands for SWEEEEEEEEEEET

Quick Reply: Porsches in the winter