Notices

Porsches in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche endorses it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnTkcI5vI-U

I like the +/- 5% guestimate on car value. Sounds accurate to me. Keep in mind that's the price of a set of rims and tires, not much more.

Two thumbs up to those of you driving your toy year round!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I drive my Porsche in the winter not because I have to, but because I want to and life is too short to deprive yourself of simple pleasures.
Case closed.

IXLR8:
People will always have different opinions, but it's sad to see somebody in our community come on here and go beyond posting their opinion, to the point where they are simply being offensive and talking down upon the other people on the forum as if they're all idiots.

Show some respect.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Case closed.

IXLR8:
People will always have different opinions, but it's sad to see somebody in our community come on here and go beyond posting their opinion, to the point where they are simply being offensive and talking down upon the other people on the forum as if they're all idiots.

Show some respect.
Bingo.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

Case closed.

IXLR8:

Show some respect.
+1
Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

+1
and might I add there is another Canadian Forum above ours called Rennsport .. many people on that forum will share your interests and point of view as most are from Quebec .. please feel free to express your views there ..
Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by red996
I wish my garage queen was worth twice as much as a driver. It's not. What mybe 5% more? The only thing I can compare it to is a brand new car, as far as condition. I have a camry I drive daily. I feel bad beating the **** out of it sometimes, let alone a Porsche. Anyone that drives a Porsche in the winter has *****, I will give you that. Just remember I live in Alberta. Winters here kills cars, dead. Attachment 411519
red that is an awesome pic dude .. kind of looks like the car is just floating ..
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey Matt do you have the ability to close the thread since you started it ? I think we have beat this one to death then some .. if you have the option I think it is in your first post .. not sure if just members can do it .
Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
Hey Matt do you have the ability to close the thread since you started it ? I think we have beat this one to death then some .. if you have the option I think it is in your first post .. not sure if just members can do it .
If it was me, I would have closed it long time ago...

Having said that, I did ask a similar question in my very first post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...g-a-996-a.html

Retrofishy (Chris) with a Guards Red 2007 Targa 4 started it.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Shemmer
Pro

Why do you want to close it? It's very entertaining to read others opinions and sure beats some of the other boring threads.
Nothing like a good strong debate I say where all are free to participate.
Hey that rhymes.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

If you do, it's a guaranteed way of voiding your Porsche corrosion warranty.
Can you provide a Porsche Canada document stating that?

My friend with a BMW was told that at the dealer back in 1985. He is now sorry he didn't listen to me.

Here's a few crappy cellphone pics of our "winter beaters" from this morning's GTG.
I don't see any snow or slush on the roads. You call that winter driving?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tonga3
Thanks for the info, but will it void a corrosion warranty and how long is the warranty. It's an '05 Cayenne S. Thanks
Well ask them to produce a document (not something verbal) telling you it will void the warranty.

Which warranty, the Porsche Canada or Krown warranty?

These cars are well treated from the factory, but now matter well treated they are, they will rust faster driving them in real winters. Even the cheapest econo boxes won't rust in 10 years, but who is to say they shouldn't last longer. For many folks, they don't care as they'll just throw away the old and buy another new one. Its a throw away society!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MattAu
Oh, well that's a given, from strictly a cosmetic perspective, even a car that sits indoor will be better than one that sits outdoor. But I guess it's questionable how that may or may not affect the value of the two cars.
I'm not worried about value or depreciation. That only matters if I plan to sell a vehicle.

I bought it as a toy; an evening and weekend sunny day driver. Why would I drive it in the winter when I have a daily driver that is probably far more reliable and infinitely better in a snow storm.

I wonder how many of these winter drivers actually use it as their primary vehicle while having another vehicle at their disposal? I'm talking about those who actually take theirs out in the biggest of snowstorms, not some dry road event. LOL

Originally Posted by MattAu
Just curious, since you didn't buy the car new, how did you confirm that the previous owner or owners had never driven the car in the winter or in the rain, or worse, (at least according to some) had taken it to the track!?
The fact is I can't, but I can judge what condition a used car is in. Plus you'd think a low mileage car will normally have most of its miles put on in the summer, not in the winter. Now if it has been though some of those TO winter drives to those meets, I'm not too worried based on what some in TO call winter driving. LOL

I've spend quite a bit of time underneath it. I like what I see.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red996
Anyone that drives a Porsche in the winter has *****, I will give you that.
Nahhh, they just have lots of money.

Nice car cover, by the way. I bought a CoverKing Stretch Satin recently. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. One might as well look after our fine machinery, anything less is disrespectful to the marque.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:49 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Here's a few crappy cellphone pics of our "winter beaters" from this morning's GTG.
I don't see any snow or slush on the roads. You call that winter driving?
I don't think his point was to show you what winter looks like, the pictures were posted to prove to you that despite driving the cars all year round, they are in excellent condition and well taken care of.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I don't think his point was to show you what winter looks like, the pictures were posted to prove to you that despite driving the cars all year round, they are in excellent condition and well taken care of.
Well of course they'll be in good condition, because they are not winter driven...as in driven in real winter driving conditions. Maybe the original thread starter refers to the season instead of the conditions. There is a huge difference!

Quick Reply: Porsches in the winter