Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:56 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
No revs. They were doing some necessary start up, not showboating.
I got to experience the revs, too slow with my iphone to video it before it was all over. Hard to describe the sound, very unique, bloody awesome. Hi pitch, race car like.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I got to experience the revs, too slow with my iphone to video it before it was all over. Hard to describe the sound, very unique, bloody awesome. Hi pitch, race car like.
Like a modern 964?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This looks interesting (seen on the 964 forum) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Real-...d=596633298128
Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Like a modern 964?
Ahhhh..... Yeah, right.

Went out to Chris Ms last night to pick ip the AIM he has kindly lent me for the SITT. Talked quite a lot about his vision of what he wants to build.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ahhhh..... Yeah, right. Went out to Chris Ms last night to pick ip the AIM he has kindly lent me for the SITT. Talked quite a lot about his vision of what he wants to build.
Wide body RSR?

If you want to use the AIM as a speedo on Friday night (2 sleeps away), it's best to set it up beforehand as I imagine getting moving will be the priority on the night.

Pick up the SRF tomorrow, but am otherwise already to rumble on the first leg of the full fat tour.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:42 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Wide body RSR? If you want to use the AIM as a speedo on Friday night (2 sleeps away), it's best to set it up beforehand as I imagine getting moving will be the priority on the night. Pick up the SRF tomorrow, but am otherwise already to rumble on the first leg of the full fat tour.
I tried it as a speedo last night and compared it to the iphone speedo app I have. It is more accurate but the white background was too bright for my liking at night, can you reverse it so it is white on black? Anyway, I'm used to running with the tomtom app which shows your speed in relation to the speed limit and when 5km over the limit it turns red. I like the tom tom running when you get behind a slow vehicle as it indicates if there's a straight coming up around the next corner :-P

Matt emailed me some great info on the setup of the KWV3's, alignment etc. Last night I backed off the front shocks a little but, as he warned me, getting to reach the left hand rear shock is impossible with a bloke's arms. Chris M said running with the heater fan bypass is fine, he did so in -10 degree winters and the heater was fine without it. So, it's on the list to go. Also, possibly a cone filter to ease access to the right hand shock.

Macca, how do you get on reaching in to adjust the tops of your rear shocks? The bottoms are easy, just need to jack the car up and they're right there.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:12 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

This looks interesting (seen on the 964 forum) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Real-...d=596633298128
Thanks for sharing. I've been on the lookout for something like this. Most sold in NZ have a steep outlay and monthly charges. This looks perfect.

I like the tom tom running when you get behind a slow vehicle as it indicates if there's a straight coming up around the next corner :-P
Do you get a prompt to show the upcoming straight, or do you mean you get the opportunity to see it on the map? I must admit to using google maps as a silent co-driver every now and then...
Old 03-04-2014, 03:07 PM
O2GO
Drifting

^^^ you get to see what the road is like ahead. One of many advantages over google maps it doesn't need mobile broadband, so on those isolated b roads ot works perfectly. Cost is about nz$90 from memory. Highly recommended.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

^^^ you get to see what the road is like ahead. One of many advantages over google maps it doesn't need mobile broadband, so on those isolated b roads ot works perfectly. Cost is about nz$90 from memory. Highly recommended.
Doug, did you get that power unit installed? My car is starting to have the same problem as the house i.e. never enough sockets. Herman will need to run Iphone, Tom Tom, GoPro and possibly AIM (it seems to be battery light but you never know).
Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carrera GT at Continentals

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
As some will know that's my car. As I'm based in Napier I haven't experienced it first hand yet, however Tony from CCS got it warmed up this evening and then called me and played the "music" through the phone.

Apparently it will set off car alarms in cars that don't even have an alarm!

My old GT3 had a noisy exhaust and in Taupo I was told it was too loud to go on track. It would seem the CGT to will most likely break all the rules.

Can't wait to get it back to Napier. Next week it gets wrapped a gloss black.
Yes, remembered you from Rennlist and CCS confirmed when I asked them if it was the 'Hawkes Bay' car. Also remembered that you were fettling it up for use in anger so am looking forward to catching that somewhere down the line.

I was sorely tempted by straight pipes too but went 70mm internal with race cats instead. Had it noise tested as a precaution pre-WOF and it came in over the 95dB that applies to most cars but under the 97 (or arguably 99 for air-cooled or race derived engines) that applies to rear engined Porsches.

Adds power up top and also more sense of occasion. Would be handy if NZ allowed adjustable exhausts without LVV cert so I could quiet it down for neighbours and sleeping kids at times but never mind. I'm getting good at coasting in at night. Our driveway slopes down to a road which slopes away too so leaving at night/nap time is even quieter when I roll silently off the ramps in the garage and start it far away from the house.

I saw that Pukekohe had a 95dB limit but I believe tracks measure sound 10m or so away versus the 50 odd cm for WOF. Inserts can drop noise by about 2dB or so too when required.

That gloss black wrap should have it looking like it just left the factory. Here's another pic of your awesome machine at CCS:

Name:  20140304_150635med.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  171.7 KB
Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to hear people finally considering heater blower bypass. It doesn't interfere much with heat delivery at all and definitely tidies up the engine bay and saves 2.5 kg. no brainier.

Doug. I don't have the same issue as you as my nil steins have the clicking adjustment wheels on the bottom of the shocks where they are an easy reach.

By the way I totally agree with Doug on his tom Tom iPhone app. He recommended it to me and we used Tom tom exclusively in Europe. Allows you also to set a route course by windy road vs highway vs fastest route etc - brilliant! Will only have one devise on window for SITT - iPhone! Bought a flash extended battery sleeve just to ensure it can go the distance.

Good luck for Friday guys!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Now this would be nice, Paul Newman’s Porsche – 1974 Porsche 911S. http://www.sportscardigest.com/cars-...-porsche-911s/
Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by mjg
Haven't decided on tyres yet, got some calls in for prices and options but it feels like some of these places aren't interested in selling you 2-4k of tyres and don't return calls?! Hyper told me AD08Rs aren't available in my sizes until June/July. Probably going to run a brand new set of Z221s at this stage.
Try Tirerack, fast and great service. 7 days door to door.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Good to hear people finally considering heater blower bypass. It doesn't interfere much with heat delivery at all and definitely tidies up the engine bay and saves 2.5 kg. no brainier. Doug. I don't have the same issue as you as my nil steins have the clicking adjustment wheels on the bottom of the shocks where they are an easy reach. By the way I totally agree with Doug on his tom Tom iPhone app. He recommended it to me and we used Tom tom exclusively in Europe. Allows you also to set a route course by windy road vs highway vs fastest route etc - brilliant! Will only have one devise on window for SITT - iPhone! Bought a flash extended battery sleeve just to ensure it can go the distance. Good luck for Friday guys!
A mophie, or have you found something more awesome? iOS 7 is not as kind to my battery in addition to all the nav I'm using these last few months.

And yes - if anyone is considering removal of the blower, just do it. There's a simple jumper to fab, search RL. I daily drove in the winter for hours on interstates, stop-go in town, and that aircooled beauty still heated feet faster than any waterpumper. I noticed no significant difference.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Chris. Yes a Mophie. Its the larger capacity version. Frankly after tonnes of research I couldnt find anything (quality) that was better. This is why I wanted a grip holder as the batter case makes the unit larger and heavier. By the way also bought the holder you recommended for comparison (might be good for my vehicles here). I ended up with a few different designs to try out.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?