Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Kiwi 911: You need to email Tony direct at the usual playday email. Then we are all set. Please let me know when you have.
OK - made contact and just paid - All sorted. Just need someone to bring beers and bbq..........
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Just revisiting an earlier discussion did anyone manage to find a good Akl tyre fitter for tyres bought offshore? John, who are you planning to use - or will you attempt to do them yourself in order to regain your man card... ;-)
Peter, Glenn at Motorscience suggested Tyres Plus in Newmarket. My wife just went there and confirmed. Being done tomorrow for $120 + GST for all four.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Peter, Glenn at Motorscience suggested Tyres Plus in Newmarket. My wife just went there and confirmed. Being done tomorrow for $120 + GST for all four.
Thanks John - just drove past there this afternoon on the way back from seeing Glen and picking up the C4 after a new clutch. Was sat at the lights ogling a set of turbo twists at Tyre Plus and wondering if they might do just fitting... which you've just answered... spooky!

Is your 996TT in at Motorscience at the moment? Too much eye candy to take in at one time.

On another unrelated matter.... usually I toss the Grabaseat e-mails in the delete bin but yesterday I got the one re the Shanghai F1 GP April next year. $2,600 for flights, 6 nights accomodation and grandstand tickets for the 3 days. Very, very tempted!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I got it wrong, Tyre Plus fitted the tyres this morning. Must have been very quick.

Tomorrow, it will get an alignment [firm recommended by Motorscience] and then to Motorscience for a warrant.

Hopefully my wife will get sick of the car and ask for a SUV, otherwise my sole use will be taking it windsurfing [bought a roof transport system], when I'm not pootling around the Bays in the Turbo 3.6
Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

New tyres, alignment... sounds like someone may be reconsidering driving on the 16th? ;-)

Are you taking it to Peter Alder for the alignment?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure who it's going to. Apparently Glen will tell my wife tomorrow. He has told her that it's in Newmarket.

As for driving on the 16th. Right now, I'm working out how to get a warrant done on the Turbo 3.6 at 4:00 pm when I arrive from Jakarta on the 15th, so I can drive that down to watch you lot.

The 996TT is my wife's daily driver until we agree on the need for a third car so it won't be out on the track until I work out how to wrest it back from her. Its driveability is not helping the situation. She won't touch the Turbo 3.6.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
As for driving on the 16th. Right now, I'm working out how to get a warrant done on the Turbo 3.6 at 4:00 pm when I arrive from Jakarta on the 15th, so I can drive that down to watch you lot.
Good luck with that John - don't fancy your chances on a Saturday afternoon. But pm me if I can help out at all. Otherwise you're welcome to catch a ride down on the 16th.

On slightly more depressing news I received the following from Tirerack this morning...

"Peter,
Thanks for your inquiry
Recently rules have changed governing shipments allowed by several tire manufacturers. Policies are now in place restricting products being exported Internationally.

Bridgestone, Continental, Dick Cepek, Firestone, Fuzion, General, Hankook, Toyo, and Yokohama have all recently placed export restrictions on their products and will no longer allow us to ship outside of North America. This is a recent policy change and we are continuing to work through the details. Other manufacturers are considering similar positions and may draw up policies of their own banning any shipments outside of the US, Canada and Mexico.

In addition we can no longer ship some wheel brands outside of the US. Due to our business arrangement and distribution licensing were are no longer able to ship the following wheel brands to international markets.

BBS
Breyton
BE by Breyton
OZ Racing

I am upset to report this as you and many other international clients have been very loyal to The Tire Rack. Please understand, this is a manufacturer's policy with which we must abide. "

So now we need a friendly shipper and a US address. Be interesting to see if the same rules will apply from Europe.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi PeterC2S.

Thats disturbing news but not unexpected as like the car companies the tyre manufacturers are trying to curb arbitrage (which largely is of their own making). Europe will follow if it hasnt already happened...

The good news is I dont see the Michelin band on that list. This is good as their new Super Sport is from all the research I have done simply one of thee best all round road/performance tyres for our car. Better get in quick however before they add themselves to the list!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Super+Sport

John. Welcome home for the 15th. You must be so looking forward to that. Unfortunately I will miss you. Im into AKLD Wednesday morning 5.30am picking up the 993 (Post Targa Tour work has been completed) at 7.30am and enjoying the last few days of driving it till hibernation until March 2013 when I hope we can finally catch up...

PS. Im sur it is Peter Alder doing the alignment. Hes now at Newmarket Nissan. peter still remains one of the few guys who knows how to properly set up a 964 or 993 for most types of use...

Caio
Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
PS. Im sur it is Peter Alder doing the alignment. Hes now at Newmarket Nissan. peter still remains one of the few guys who knows how to properly set up a 964 or 993 for most types of use...
Thanks for that Macca - I thought he was at Mitsubishi so good to know. Presume he'll still be able to look after 964 setup from there as I have some adjustable sway bars on the way...

I'll go back and ask the Q re the michelins however the SS's don't come in many 17" options. Stock is 205/50 and 255/40 but the closest SS match is 215/45 and 245/40.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi PeterC2S,

Gosh now you have me thinking. It may well be Mitsubishi. Give Dean Houston at CCS a call and hell tell you exactly which of the two. Last time I used Peter he was just on the way out of CCS so to be honest I haven't tried him at his new premises....but he did say he will still support all 911 requirements...

Also look at the PS2 (not the ribbed version) as these were the preferred tyre for many 993 owners until recently when the SS was introduced. They are good rubber as I have used them before.They may have a wider range of fitment sizes. NZ retail is in the mid 3k bracket for those so they still represent a large saving....
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Hey all, sorry I've been vacant. Who's down at HD this afternoon? I'll be there from 3pm getting ready. Hopefully the weather holds out, forecast for Huntly looks slightly better than for Auckland.

Peter, may be worth chatting to Steve on the tires if TR is out. He has containers coming in from the US and UK pretty frequently.

On a side note, I was blown away by how well the Toyo R888s handled the wet weather last time out. Impressive all-rounder.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Peter, thanks for the heads up. I won't take any chances and will buy my expected future needs for the next couple of year now from the UK. At least I now know where to get them fitted.

I have an option of the 996TT to get to HD but will either get a warrant first thing Sunday or be a rebel and drive anyway. See you on the 16th. I'll have some good photo kit to catch you all if you mess up!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, I'm very excited about the 15th. This stint overseas has run to 7 years.

Certainly hope to catch up next year. Maybe a Porsche trash talking session at Melanesia Rd? There's a 993 and Cayman across the road and I think there's still a 964 Cup and 993 tip further down the road.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you go Sean? I bailed as it was looking pretty wet from the Nth Shore. Will have another crack Saturday.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

It was all good, not a drop of rain down there. Times coming down. Having issues with brakes over-heating, will have to open up the ducts before Sat. That led to my first little moment but all good and didn't leave the tarmac.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?