Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 04:13 AM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

Hi, I’m a 997 owner from the USA who will be living in Auckland for a while. I’d like to connect with fellow Porsche owners and car enthusiasts while I’m there! I’m a pretty decent photographer and I’m also interested in doing some Porsche photo shoots against some of the amazing views that New Zealand’s known for.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:31 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Unframed
Hi, I’m a 997 owner from the USA who will be living in Auckland for a while. I’d like to connect with fellow Porsche owners and car enthusiasts while I’m there! I’m a pretty decent photographer and I’m also interested in doing some Porsche photo shoots against some of the amazing views that New Zealand’s known for.
Nice one, welcome to NZ. Do you have a car over here or is that waiting for you back home in the USA? Best way to connect would be through Facebook or Porsche Club NZ. Don't imagine it would be hard to find people that would want their cars photographed, myself included
The following users liked this post:
Unframed (11-25-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 11:50 PM
Unframed
Racer

Hello! I arrived in Auckland this past Thursday. I'm staying at a place in Titirangi and it's really quite nice. I live in downtown Los Angeles so it's nice to get away from the crush of the city and enjoy the sounds of the birds and some overall peace and quiet.

I won't have a car while I'm here, though I might hire one so I can do some road trips around the island. Definitely planning on taking a weekend trip down south, too.

Would love to get together at any Porsche club events, I figure maybe after the new year since people are probably spending time with their families for the holidays.

Last edited by Unframed; 12-15-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:41 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day, anyone on here owned a 3 litre or v8 diesel Touareg? Am looking at models from around 2010-13. Need to replace my '95 vx Landcruiser that got killed last month. I may sell my 993 to finance this move, got a new WoF yesterday & have only travelled 900 km since last one. There's no driving enjoyment to be had locally post 2016 quake.
Any experience of the VW appreciated - I need to tow a boat for work, sometimes launch on remote sandy/ gravelly beaches etc. I'd be putting proper tyres on to replace the rubberbands found on most.
Cheers - D
Old 12-23-2019, 11:42 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,672 Likes on 636 Posts

Hello! I arrived in Auckland this past Thursday. I'm staying at a place in Titirangi and it's really quite nice. I live in downtown Los Angeles so it's nice to get away from the crush of the city and enjoy the sounds of the birds and some overall peace and quiet.

I won't have a car while I'm here, though I might hire one so I can do some road trips around the island. Definitely planning on taking a weekend trip down south, too.

Would love to get together at any Porsche club events, I figure maybe after the new year since people are probably spending time with their families for the holidays.
Assume so too!
In Wellington for two weeks myself, and greatly missing not having our Cayman S with us...
Renting a car and taking a trip into the mountains though is recommended, as some of the roads are comparable to the best in the world - not just the driving of course, but the views!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1f6da5dddd.jpg
Old 12-24-2019, 12:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Assume so too!
In Wellington for two weeks myself, and greatly missing not having our Cayman S with us...
Renting a car and taking a trip into the mountains though is recommended, as some of the roads are comparable to the best in the world - not just the driving of course, but the views!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1f6da5dddd.jpg

Plenty of great back roads in New Zealand. Just watch out for the tourists that default to driving on the wrong side.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:44 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Plenty of great back roads in New Zealand. Just watch out for the tourists that default to driving on the wrong side. https://youtu.be/Lyew5RiJ6j8
That's a great clip.
We drove the R2 through the Pakuratahi Pass yesterday, and you're right about the tourists - with car parks and gas stations seeming to be biggest threat from all those camper vans.
We're from Japan, so we drive on the correct side of the road there too...
Old 12-24-2019, 02:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

That's a great clip.
We drove the R2 through the Pakuratahi Pass yesterday, and you're right about the tourists - with car parks and gas stations seeming to be biggest threat from all those camper vans.
That was the teaser. The actual run was close to five minutes.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:20 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

That's a great clip.
Welcome to NZ Unframed and Black Cat. Glad to see you’re exploring - SH2/Rimutaka Hill is a great road, especially in a fun car when empty.

If either of you are in Auckland after
mid Jan I’m happy to meet up and try connect you to any Porsche/car events going on in the area. I’m off to Japan for some snow between now and then, otherwise would arrange something sooner.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
That was the teaser. The actual run was close to five minutes. https://youtu.be/lWovQGcnC-E
Thanks!
Makes me want to get out and drive.

Originally Posted by nzskater
Welcome to NZ Unframed and Black Cat. Glad to see you’re exploring - SH2/Rimutaka Hill is a great road, especially in a fun car when empty.
If either of you are in Auckland after mid Jan I’m happy to meet up and try connect you to any Porsche/car events going on in the area. I’m off to Japan for some snow between now and then, otherwise would arrange something sooner.
Thanks for the offer, but we go home to Tokyo on the weekend, so feel to ping me so I can make the same offer...
nzskater (12-26-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 11:54 PM
Unframed
Racer

Originally Posted by nzskater

If either of you are in Auckland after
mid Jan I’m happy to meet up and try connect you to any Porsche/car events going on in the area. I’m off to Japan for some snow between now and then, otherwise would arrange something sooner.
Thank you. I’m definitely interested. I’ll be in AKL for a couple of months. I’m now staying at an Airbnb in Mangere Bridge. I’m itching to get down south as soon as possible.
nzskater (12-26-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 02:37 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Pity we didn't manage to connect with too many Porsche, but we did see some great places in two weeks!
Summary, and some pics here.

See ya!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...58d0390cf5.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8139df34ba.jpg
Old 12-30-2019, 03:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The sports cars will come out to play when the vacationers have gone back to work. Today I stripped out the seats, put in a bucket seat and harness, plus fitted a set of track tyres. I will do a 4,000km road and track trip in March.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9a1249612.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fbc014968.jpeg
Old 01-07-2020, 06:50 AM
Unframed
Racer

saw a nice 992 near the airport in Auckland and a 997.1 C4S in the CBD.

Also saw a Macca 650S in Henderson, literally down the street from Bruce McLaren middle school. That was cool.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:09 PM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got the 997.1TT back from Powerhaus with everything buttoned up and perfect, loving the car but now is time for the aftermarket mods. 4 things on the list, I am keen to get local advice on:
1. Exhaust - Whose got one, what is it and where did you get it and how much?
2. Tune - Who'd you use and why? I had a V8 BMW previously and Kevin @ UMW suggested his tune with an exhaust could extract a similar torque on the low rev range.
3. DSC Module - Anyone go down this path? Recommend? Previously thought this would be great but since having the rear shocks replaced not sure it is still essential
4. Wheels - I would love some Fifteen52's Outlaw 001m - Machined RSR in gold to contrast against the black paint but total costs make these a non-starter. Anyone gone the OZ or other route?

If you're in Wellington let me know also as I am keen to get a couple drives done too.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?