Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:55 AM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ OK that explains the time, you are on 221's (thought you were a driving god for a minute there? - JMc, you can rest easy...........)
Haha, yep! 221s best bang for buck mod for track so far I reckon.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:59 AM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Great work Nathan. What rubber are you using? If road tyres then you should comfortably have a 1.19 flat on R comps. You have tipo right? Good to see these on the track. They are probably well suited with 3 gears (1st never needed) to keep you in the band. Are you manually shifting or auto?
manual shifting using the paddles Macca. The tipo does struggle a bit at the hairpin and then into the barrel, 2nds not quite low enough, and it wont change into first on the run so your stuck with having to attack them in 2nd and wind it up from there
Old 08-01-2015, 03:59 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Great stuff Chris. What have you done with the Cayman so far? I assume lightened it a bit, put it on R comps and some suspension work? Is there a place for these in Porsche Series, would seem like a nice step between 944s and GT3s.
Its had a bit of work done. Limited slip diff, adjustable sway bars, lowering springs, short shifter, half cage, ecu flash before I got it. I have put it on fully adjustable RSS suspension with a fast road geo, solid mounted everything, deep sumped it, race seats, Pagid yellow pads, race brake fluid and time today on 221's. Next is TPC PASM adjustment kit, race exhaust and headers, GT3 throttle body, competition plenum, full roll cage, new tune with rev limiter (hit 7900rpm today and it was still climbing) and new shocks. No plan to lighten at this point.

They can fill a good gap between GT3 and 944, but still quite expensive to build compared to a 944 and GT3. Will be good in endurance races though as it fits in the 2000 to 3499cc class. Still won't beat a factory built race SEAT though
Old 08-01-2015, 04:05 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by nmaisey
Haha, yep! 221s best bang for buck mod for track so far I reckon.
100% agree. I was doing okay today on sticky road tyres, just in 1:18's. Put on a set of 221's and immediately dropped over 2 seconds and then took off another second in the next session. 221's are simply awesome
Old 08-01-2015, 04:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nmaisey
Was using Track addict app on my phone John, no AIM for me......so probably not comparable to you guys. I have been using it since the start of my tracking, so its good for me to measure improvements. started track days using those ****ty nitto Invos at 1.25 when had my first training with RR. down to 1.22 / 1.23 with the Z221's and now just hit the 1.20 mark (albeit at the top end of 1.20) after trying to improve lines, braking points and chasing fast guys like Steve R and Chris in his Cayman, also learning the car and learning the tiptronic (paddle shifters have made it awesome fun)
There's is still some on the table no doubt Nathan. It's good to see the paddles have added to the experience. The last few years have indicated somewhere between 1.19.5 and 1.20 is territory for mildly modified manual 964 on R comps. If you can hit the top of that band with the tipo after a few more track days I'd say you are doing very nicely.

996.2 GT3 is good for at least 380 BHP in a 1380 kg package. Cayman R with a/C and PDK is 1345kg and325 BHP. I should expect the GT3 is good for 14.5 and the R for 15.5 same driver on a cool dry day like today? R comps and a proper geo being assumed?
Old 08-01-2015, 04:10 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Gulp, the R is more powerful and has PDK so anything above 1.15 is underperformance
No pressure John, its like comparing apples and oranges. Mine doesn't have the hp, the best I could get today was a vmax of 201, but its starting to handle fairly well so I was getting good speed through the corners
Old 08-01-2015, 04:11 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Chris - car sounds like it is turning into a weapon. Keen to see it in action. Also curious as to what shocks you're going to after the TPC PASM mod; are you sticking with a dynamic shock or intending to ditch it all in favour of Ohlins or similar?
Old 08-01-2015, 04:17 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by nzskater
Chris - car sounds like it is turning into a weapon. Keen to see it in action. Also curious as to what shocks you're going to after the TPC PASM mod; are you sticking with a dynamic shock or intending to ditch it all in favour of Ohlins or similar?
Jake, I'm trying to do what we all know doesn't make sense, build a good track car thats still easy to drive on the road. The shocks will be the last thing on my list, but thinking would be to go with Bilstein Damptronics and if later on I decide I want more from it then I will ditch the TPC module and go for a higher spec race shock. Its a bit of an R&D journey. I like the idea of driving on to the track and just pushing the PASM button, easy is good!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Its had a bit of work done. Limited slip diff, adjustable sway bars, lowering springs, short shifter, half cage, ecu flash before I got it. I have put it on fully adjustable RSS suspension with a fast road geo, solid mounted everything, deep sumped it, race seats, Pagid yellow pads, race brake fluid and time today on 221's. Next is TPC PASM adjustment kit, race exhaust and headers, GT3 throttle body, competition plenum, full roll cage, new tune with rev limiter (hit 7900rpm today and it was still climbing) and new shocks. No plan to lighten at this point. They can fill a good gap between GT3 and 944, but still quite expensive to build compared to a 944 and GT3. Will be good in endurance races though as it fits in the 2000 to 3499cc class. Still won't beat a factory built race SEAT though
Sounds like it's currently around the same level of development as my 993 which I'm sure someone as experienced as yourself at HD would pilot at similar times on Z221. Getting the sofa seats out and the buckets in is the easiest weight loss in a Cayman I think. After that you have carpet, door furniture and plastic trim and lower dash for 50kg half of what you will offset with the full cage (but benefit will be stiffness). then the air con and some plastic parts such as hood for the kill. I'm guessing it's possible to see 1195 kg with full cage and upgraded brakes. Will make a fun targa car for sure. as you point out its probably a 100k plus race car done from a non insurance donor so probably doesn't fit in the mix when used 6.2 Cup cars are 80k base...

Hankook Z221 are the best tyres for the track today IMO!! I just love them - disappointed the fitment range is so narrow as some 20s would work well on my GT3 (and much cheaper than MPSC2 which a very good but more on the road side of the R comp spectrum than the track). 19s would be handy for late model Cayman, boxsters and 911s too!

Nathan I think on short tight NZ tracks the 964/993 tipo will always struggle from too tall gearing. That's why I think if you can shave your time down to 1.20 you will be doing very well as there has to be half a second between MT and 4 speed Tipo of that generation...
Old 08-01-2015, 04:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK - arms race is on, a set of 221's, a 6 point harness, track pads, more aggressive geo and a low-14 target..........

I need the six point harness, I am so sore in the back and butt from propping myself in the car this morning...........
Old 08-01-2015, 04:34 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For those in the know, what is the difference between a standard belt and hans belt?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=996GT3_seats
Old 08-01-2015, 04:37 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

For those in the know, what is the difference between a standard belt and hans belt? http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=996GT3_seats
HANS belt has 2 inch straps over your shoulder, standard belt is 3 inch over shoulder. You can use a HANS with a standard harness, but you aren't meant to use a HANS harness without a HANS.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:38 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

For those in the know, what is the difference between a standard belt and hans belt? http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=996GT3_seats
The same harnesses are cheaper at Neil Allports in NZ, I used purchased 2 Sparco seats and 6 point Sparco harnesses
Old 08-01-2015, 04:42 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Sounds like it's currently around the same level of development as my 993 which I'm sure someone as experienced as yourself at HD would pilot at similar times on Z221. Getting the sofa seats out and the buckets in is the easiest weight loss in a Cayman I think. After that you have carpet, door furniture and plastic trim and lower dash for 50kg half of what you will offset with the full cage (but benefit will be stiffness). then the air con and some plastic parts such as hood for the kill. I'm guessing it's possible to see 1195 kg with full cage and upgraded brakes. Will make a fun targa car for sure. as you point out its probably a 100k plus race car done from a non insurance donor so probably doesn't fit in the mix when used 6.2 Cup cars are 80k base...
Looking forward to the NITT this year, should be a lot of fun with a variety of cars with similar times. Not planning a weight reduction programme at this point apart from Sparco EVO 2 seats. I want to keep the luxuries at this stage. May change later
Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

OK - arms race is on, a set of 221's, a 6 point harness, track pads, more aggressive geo and a low-14 target.......... I need the six point harness, I am so sore in the back and butt from propping myself in the car this morning...........
Like moths to the flame

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?