Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I was watching the laps on race monitor - that's a very good finish and well ahead of a lot of cars that had higher best laps. Must have been consistent. The last 15 minutes was exciting watching Walt try and hold off a couple of faster cars.
Exciting to watch in the metal as well. Unfortunately the drive gave out 150m from the line so he coasted over the finish line, possibly costing him two places.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

So we have two cars out of action, but 2 months to get them back on the road/track before the Dunlop 800. We may well give the mechanical work to Jono and do the panel beating ourselves. We need to find 3 front guards, a mirror, possibly a door and some lights. RSG picnic at Pickapart?
Old 05-03-2015, 02:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Default Best laps in the Grinch

Walter, your fastest lap was 1.26.426. Mine was 1.26.213. Yours is the Green Trace, mine is Red. I appear to be braking later, otherwise not much in it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2015, 02:46 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great drive today, thanks Ron and Patsy et al.
Doug: That was a top tip re the Hex keys to be permanently installed in the V3s. When I got home, got one in the back left no trouble, then dropped the right one I'd made in the bowels somewhere. Will go fishing with a magnet tomorrow. I have quite a bit of tubing around the top of the right rear top mount so may need to do some rerouting or go super small with the hex key on the right. Why the hell KW didn't just leave the tiniest of ***** there I'll never know.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:53 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
So we have two cars out of action, but 2 months to get them back on the road/track before the Dunlop 800. We may well give the mechanical work to Jono and do the panel beating ourselves. We need to find 3 front guards, a mirror, possibly a door and some lights. RSG picnic at Pickapart?
These are race cars. Can't you just beat the guards out again?
Old 05-03-2015, 02:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Great drive today, thanks Ron and Patsy et al. Doug: That was a top tip re the Hex keys to be permanently installed in the V3s. When I got home, got one in the back left no trouble, then dropped the right one I'd made in the bowels somewhere. Will go fishing with a magnet tomorrow. I have quite a bit of tubing around the top of the right rear top mount so may need to do some rerouting or go super small with the hex key on the right. Why the hell KW didn't just leave the tiniest of ***** there I'll never know.
Agree, seems pretty odd they didn't do that. I suspect there must be a reason
Old 05-03-2015, 03:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
These are race cars. Can't you just beat the guards out again?
We can do to the less damaged ones, but the one on BB2 is fubar. We will only aim for race body standard. It's going to happen again
Old 05-03-2015, 04:33 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

We can do to the less damaged ones, but the one on BB2 is fubar. We will only aim for race body standard. It's going to happen again
Let me know when the party is. I'm keen to hone my panel beating skills.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Let me know when the party is. I'm keen to hone my panel beating skills.
Unless someone gets to Pickapart first it can't happen until I get back from my travels. I will pencil in Saturday, 16 May. What would help is if people keep a look out for body parts on the usual sites : Trademe, NZ Honda, Pickapart etc.

In the meantime Mr. Mende you can get that license sorted! Dave is out so we are down to 6 possibles for the Dunlop 800. Even with 6 people that's 56 laps EACH. We only did 40 each this weekend.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:39 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exciting to watch in the metal as well. Unfortunately the drive gave out 150m from the line so he coasted over the finish line, possibly costing him two places.
Definitely costing me two places - they passed me within 50 or so metres of the line, when I'd already been coasting for 80 or 90m.

The box, clutch or guibo let go completely on my last shift of the race, passing pit lane coming out of turn 10. So zero horsepower the last 100 to 150 or so metres. I coasted on around Turn 1 and pulled onto the grass verge to wait for the tow truck.

Walter, your fastest lap was 1.26.426. Mine was 1.26.213. Yours is the Green Trace, mine is Red. I appear to be braking later, otherwise not much in it.
Thanks John. If you disable the first and last laps (as they're always weird), what were our best rolling laps and theoretical laps?

Yes Doug, I looked both cars over carefully at day's end today and those rear quarter panels are super easy to get to from inside the car to push them out. Doors are fine (Grinch) or acceptable (BB2). Two front fenders will need more serious hammer action (Grinch and BB2 left), and BB2's right front fender is probably far cheaper to replace than repair, unless someone has a hammer fetish.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:40 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by racoguy
Spotted this sitting on the wharf today, good to see another 964 coming in the country.
Looks to be a Turbo as well? dual exhausts and wide rear arches.
Has Recaro seats and cage in it, looks to be ex Japan but it was a bit too far away to see any detail.
Watched this car go to auction in Japan (via website/Instagram), great to see it arrive in NZ. Was a 3.3 Turbo if I remember rightly, with a track focused setup inside at least (unsure about the mechanicals). Hopefully it lives around Auckland somewhere.

Edit: Found it I think. '86 930
Attached Images  

Last edited by nzskater; 05-03-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 AM
BadgerNZ
Track Day

Good to meet you today Walt! Hope I didn't hold you up too much letting you by later in the race when I was jammed in 4th trying to crawl it to the end.

A bit disappointed since the Cockroach was doing well today and I was fighting with a bunch of guys and getting the upper hand, would have probably finished 5th. Alas, the box broke and I crept it home in 24th, which was better than zero points for not finishing! Was still a very fun day nonetheless.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:59 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadgerNZ
Good to meet you today Walt! Hope I didn't hold you up too much letting you by later in the race when I was jammed in 4th trying to crawl it to the end.

A bit disappointed since the Cockroach was doing well today and I was fighting with a bunch of guys and getting the upper hand, would have probably finished 5th. Alas, the box broke and I crept it home in 24th, which was better than zero points for not finishing! Was still a very fun day nonetheless.
You did very well to bring it home in that position. Don't think any one held me up for more than a lap all race. My problems were only minor in comparison - and the video shows that the second car that passed me on the line was actually just after the line, so I guess I only lost one place - but I would've killed for just 4th gear right at the end.

Big fan of the Cockroach - Civiltrain Lantis - yours were some of the first 2Kcup vids I watched before getting involved.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:12 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

The no7 Audi R18 took their second victory from two starts in 2015 with a hard fought win at the WEC 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps

After taking 1-2-3 in qualifying the Porsche Team held the upper hand in the first half of the race but they didn’t have it all their own way as first the no19 919 of Nick Tandy had to go back to the garage early in the race after a collision with the no91 Porsche 911 of Kevin Estre. The collision, which earned Estre a penalty, caused some serious body work damage to the 919 but the Porsche mechanics replaced the damaged parts and had the car back on track in less than four minutes.

The pole sitting no17 Porsche 919 of Brendon Hartley led from the start but was given a stop go penalty for using a run off area near to a group of marshals after he outbraked into the last corner. The car then had to go into the garage after a problem with the rear suspension was diagnosed, losing the car a lap on the leaders. Hartley and his teammates Timo Bernhard and Mark Webber fought back and were rewarded with third place on the podium 1 lap down, with Hartley setting a new lap record for the WEC at Spa with a 1m57.972 lap, 3.2 seconds quicker than the previous best time.

1st Audi 70 pts
2nd Porsche 53 pts
3rd Toyota 47 pts
Old 05-03-2015, 06:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Thanks John. If you disable the first and last laps (as they're always weird), what were our best rolling laps and theoretical laps?
That function came up with some weird results. Looking at your times you were a model of consistency so there's nothing to suggest you experimented, therefore unlocking hidden speed secrets. Here are the four fastest laps.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?