Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of my rollover

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 02:26 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

Tough scenario for white car. More than likely he had a car on his *** so he couldn't back off and other option is to go into grass to avoid red car- I wouldn't do that either. If red car had stayed his line he still had the inside line to next turn but granted you lose speed/momentum. Anyway glad everyone is safe from the incident. Mike
Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

So is spec racing now based on whomever bitches and moans the loudest? From the incar of the OTHER guy, you can clearly see the orange car come over
Old 06-18-2013, 02:34 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Here's the video of my rollover - http://youtu.be/R92eUXohpGk Please share this video and make sure all of your racer buddies know the rules and situations to keep racing fun and safer for all of us.
Don't like what I saw there at all - and I don't like what you are portraying as the appropriate outcome.

It takes two to tango, and two to give racing room.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Close call to make, but in my opinion the white car had enough overlap to have the "right" to be on the line he was on. As such, I would put the OP at fault. Even if the white car doesn't have enough overlap to "own" the space, it was an inadvisable move on the part of the red car to move left, as proven by the results.

Look at figure 7 in the NASA rules (page 89). I think this is closer to the scenario, but there is some question in my mind about how much overlap there was.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I know. and this guy, makes a video blaming the other car, blasting him, and got him suspended and black balled! that really sucks! it was his own damn fault!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:45 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Close call to make, but in my opinion the white car had enough overlap to have the "right" to be on the line he was on. As such, I would put the OP at fault. Even if the white car doesn't have enough overlap to "own" the space, it was an inadvisable move on the part of the red car to move left, as proven by the results.

Look at figure 7 in the NASA rules (page 89). I think this is closer to the scenario, but there is some question in my mind about how much overlap there was.
Exactly, and the thing that makes this worse, is that the white car drover was suspended and has 6 points, per the OP.

Very scary, and I am not talking about the cars or the event - I am talking about how this outcome came about.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
'punting' is not the term I'd use in that situation.
I'm using NASA's definition of punting, not my own...

25.4.2 Punting
The term “punting” is defined as nose to tail (or side-of-the-nose to side-of-the-tail) contact, where the leading
car is significantly knocked off of the racing line. Once the trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the
other vehicle, it is considered that the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave
the trailing driver enough “racing room.” In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least three quarters of
one car width.”
Old 06-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Mike Simard
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the other car's video would show this differently and it does.

The red car had just been passed and lost a little momentum, it was no surprise to see another car right where the white one was. That should have been anticipated before crossing the track.
This looks like a 'racing incident', I'm surprised penalties were handed out.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
GregBBRD
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,467 Likes on 1,463 Posts

He clearly got hit in the rear and was just a passenger, after that.

Other than that, there's really not enough information to make any concrete conclusions. A video from the white car would be great!

A couple of things worth noting, however.

The guy in the white car had to be all over his ***...in order to "bump" him, where he did.....that's a short straight.

It is interesting that although he did not have the ability to get by the car in 3rd, the guy that was in 5th got by him, pretty easily.

Perhaps the driver in the car that rolled should have been running 6th and was way over his head?

As a crew chief, I've given permission to bump a car that is "in the way" and "blocking" many times.....it's called racing.

Different racing has different rules. In desert racing....a faster car will come up behind and bump you once. If you don't get out of the way, immediately....you better tighten up your belts....you are about to be pushed out of the way.

714 879 9072
GregBBRD@aol.com

Semi-retired, as of Feb 1, 2023.
The days of free technical advice are over.
Free consultations will no longer be available.
Will still be in the shop, isolated and exclusively working on project cars, developmental work and products, engines and transmissions.
Have fun with your 928's people!

Old 06-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Doug007
Racer

Figures 7 and 10 are similar in that both cases the trailing car establishes side to side position and then loses it and subsequently hits the leading car. In both cases, fault lands on the trailing car that is attempting the pass. I'm guessing this is what the Race Stewards considered when issuing penalties.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
He did not have the right to be there.
Seriously? That's how you race?

I'm assuming you want comments and opinions, otherwise you wouldn't have posted the video.

IMO, you (red car) were at fault. Big time. The white car was all over you. You had to know (should have known) he was there. Just because there was not "3/4 overlap" doesn't mean you can (or should) move over on him.

I find it very disappointing that the white car got the penalty.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Doug007
Racer

I think the note to drivers in the appendix is very apt here: "Note to drivers: Remember that, even though you have the “right of way” it may not be smart to insist upon it. You may be involved in a collision that was not your fault, but you may end up crashing your car, sustain damage, get hurt, or at the very least be punted out of the race. The other driver may get penalties, but that will not help you fix your car, get your position back, or get you out of the hospital any faster."
BC
Rennlist Member

Greg: https://vimeo.com/68543464
Mike Simard
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(BC beat me to it)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Greg - this is how far the white car was alongside the red one.

Quick Reply: Video of my rollover