Sponsored by:

Video of my rollover

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013 | 03:06 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
Seriously? That's how you race?

I'm assuming you want comments and opinions, otherwise you wouldn't have posted the video.

IMO, you (red car) were at fault. Big time. The white car was all over you. You had to know (should have known) he was there. Just because there was not "3/4 overlap" doesn't mean you can (or should) move over on him.

I find it very disappointing that the white car got the penalty.
+1
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:09 PM
James Bailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry no understanding of NASA rules...

Last edited by James Bailey; 06-18-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:11 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
https://rennlist.com/forums/10546338-post1.html

what do you guys think????

I think no fault.
Based on this
no fault at all on the white car. Red car just came straight across without looking, despite clearly losing momentum/position on the prior turns. Sucks that he was penalized.
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:13 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

I'm assuming you want comments and opinions, otherwise you wouldn't have posted the video.

IMO, you (red car) were at fault. Big time. The white car was all over you. You had to know (should have known) he was there. Just because there was not "3/4 overlap" doesn't mean you can (or should) move over on him.

Strongly agree. Complete failure to coexist on the part of the red car. I've done a lot of racing with NASA and I'm very surprised the race director ruled against the white car.
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:15 PM
James Bailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How could he NOT KNOW the white car was there ??? I did enjoy the bump drafting at the start of the first video
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:24 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

+2 - why no racing room. It looks like there was plenty of room to allow both cars to coexist and continue to battle but the lead car chose to force the trailing car either to brake or go off course because there was not 3/4 overlap?
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:24 PM
James Bailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A perfect example of a self induced....".The PIT maneuver is a pursuit tactic by which a pursuing car can force a fleeing car to abruptly turn sideways, causing the driver to lose control and stop. The ackronym "PIT" has a number of different meanings, depending on the agency using it or school teaching it. The most common meanings are: Precision Immobilization Technique, Pursuit Immobilization Technique, Pursuit Intervention Technique, Push It Tough, Parallel Immobilization Technique, and Precision Intervention Tactic. In each case, the meaning is clear, regardless of how the acronym is explained. Other names for the same maneuver are: Tactical Car Intervention (TCI), tactical ramming, legal intervention, and fishtailing. "
Note that it was his right to drive his line even if another car happens to be there unless it is fender to driver then he must allow 3/4 of a car width as racing room....so he was not at fault but crashed his car and got punted out of the race.

Last edited by James Bailey; 06-18-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:33 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug007
I'm using NASA's definition of punting

25.4.2 Punting
...Once the trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the
other vehicle, it is considered that the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave
the trailing driver enough “racing room.” In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least three quarters of
one car width.”
I don't know any of the participants here, but....that text seems to indicate that the OP should have been found at fault (at least partially) for not leaving racing room, because the trailing car had certainly established a right to co-exist there by getting his front wheel next to the OP's door (& more).

Once that much overlap was achieved, the trailing car should have the right to steer straight ahead in the subsequent straightaway as long as he stays fully left (which he did). It was only when the lead car decided to move himself left anyway, into that already-occupied space, (a volitional action) that contact was created. Common sense says OP should accept responsibility for that decision since it was his choice alone.

The OP's interpretation makes the rules a weapon that the lead car can use to unfairly block... and then abdicate responsibility. In this case, such an interpretation asks the trailing car to stop racing and brake-check everyone behind him, which could have created an even bigger incident.

Would be nice to have more facts though, from the OP and other driver. This sort of internet critiquing is littered with pitfalls.... so I would welcome being proven wrong here as a learning oppty.
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:35 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Amazing what happens when you get two points of view. To me, the red car was entirely at fault.
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:36 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Strongly agree. Complete failure to coexist on the part of the red car. I've done a lot of racing with NASA and I'm very surprised the race director ruled against the white car.
Yes, I have always believed that if someone moves over on me on a STRAIGHT and I can't get out of the way, it's the other driver's fault no matter the sanctioning body.
Old 06-18-2013 | 03:59 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Holy Crap,
OK I give, PCA wins--obviously passing rules don't help if the dude in the red car is using them against the victim in the white car.

New passing rules:
1. Use common sense(rules out a lot of people,see rules 2,3,and 4)
2. Don't be an *******
3. Co-existing is safer and less expensive than being "right" and crashing.
4. Don't be an *******

"Owning" a corner--I don't know about that, but I know a lot of people that have owned bent cars.
Old 06-18-2013 | 04:15 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

One of the things I loved about racing in a spec class was the cars were pretty equal so you could run nose to tail, lap after lap... *assuming everyone respected each other.

by in large spec classes are kind of a family. Sometimes you beat up on your family members, but before and after the flag drops, you are still there for each other. fixing cars, lending parts, etc...

if someone chopped me in a race, they may get away with it, initially.

But they knew I'd pay them back.... -eventually.

racing is a small community. spec class is even smaller.

-and at the end of the day, its all for a 20 dollar trophy....

be safe...
Old 06-18-2013 | 04:28 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

wow this could have very easily been avoided by both parties....looks like there was room for each to do alot of other things.....
go pro's make it really hard to tell how much room the white car had on the left...i know the extra pavement disappears after the crest but it looked kinda like the white car was planning on nudging the red car to let him know he was there (wheel kinda turns slight right)

there should be a you love your car class....where you can race with others that lvoe their car too much to touch at all....guess thats de though.
Old 06-18-2013 | 04:30 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Between the berms and the deer, SP is always a disaster waiting to happen. You leave that racing surface and you are f*cked.

I honestly can't count the number of rollover videos I've seen in that spot.
Old 06-18-2013 | 04:30 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

I get called out sometimes here because I drive too fast on the street.

The funny thing is, I never felt I had to worry about situations like this on the street, because anyone else driving that hard in such a risky situation understood that safety, being able to play again tomorrow, was the #1 goal.

I guess some people maybe go straight to the track, and don't fully appreciate how easy it is for even a mild crash to go badly, and surrounded by all that safety gear and track personnel I'm sure it's easy to feel safe. Sure, there are stories about people that got hurt...but not too many. And it's getting better all the time right?

It doesn't mean you won't be the one. Rules on paper can't save you when you're headed for the wall. Anything you can do to prevent a crash is the obligation of both parties.

Contact is ok, just don't crash

Quick Reply: Video of my rollover