Mishaps, I still don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
^^^^^^^^
Absolutely This. The Steward is nuts to let this go by.
What do you have to do get a 13?
Apparently more than rear ending someone with an improbable pass........
Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
I'm not particularly angry with the reckless passing so much as I am with the inconsistency in assigning 13/13s......I would love to know the rationale behind that one....
Originally Posted by quickxotica
I believe the OP stated that the Steward did not review video in the Cayman incident. That may have contributed to the lack of a 13. They must have made their decisions purely on what they heard when talking to the corner-workers and drivers.
The Steward said that based on the rear car's video, speaking to the other driver, and from the way it was reported, he thought that I could have given him room however his pass was ill advised. He didn't ask to see my video nor did he seem interested in seeing it. I think that he had already made up in his mind that it was a rubout and we should both be happy. I told the Steward that in IMHO the other driver tried a really risky move earlier in the race but he added that it would have no bearing on the incident itself. Since he did rule it a "rub out" pretty much on the spot I really didn't want to argue or push it. But of course after you settle down and have time to review your own video it becomes clear as to what happened. Like I said in my earlier post the other driver came over like a gentleman and apologized. Luckily the damage was actually minimal ( pop out a couple of donuts and hopefully buff out some panels and replace graphics )
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like we need to move onto anther topic
Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

I like turtles!

But I really like toads. There used to be one that would sit on the front stoop with me and I would get bugs from around the light fixture and feed her. Named her Lady Wartington.

Miss that toad.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I like turtles!

But I really like toads. There used to be one that would sit on the front stoop with me and I would get bugs from around the light fixture and feed her. Named her Lady Wartington.

Miss that toad.
I was really hoping to witness some of your awsomeness this weekend but alas; my mediocrity, and some issues, kept me behind you. So, if any was demonstrated, I didn't witness it.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
I was really hoping to witness some of your awsomeness this weekend but alas; my mediocrity, and some issues, kept me behind you. So, if any was demonstrated, I didn't witness it.
Oh I definitley displayed some awesomeness!

Hope you can make VIR.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I like turtles!
Never cared for The Turtles. I prefer The Animals

Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Oh I definitley displayed some awesomeness!

Hope you can make VIR.
I'll take your word for it. Me too, my favorite track. I'll make sure that the rear camera is working so I can document the awsomeness for postarity.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
I'll take your word for it. Me too, my favorite track. I'll make sure that the rear camera is working so I can document the awsomeness for postarity.
Oh it is ON!!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Oh it is ON!!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone in a post on the "petition' thread mentioned that the busstop pass which got done without contact would have been a good pass in a pro race like grand am, or wc. my opinion: thats a crap pass under any circumstance , any race series. i dont think spencer p, bill auberlen, eric curran etc. would take any great pride in a dive bomb maneuver which put the car within a nick of a total wreck, took the car off track off the curbs, put a hammering on the suspension, unless it was maybe the last 2,3 turns of the last 1,2 laps of a race. They would have gotten alongside on entry (maybe) and would have just held the overtaken car to the outside nice and calm, nice and relaxed. yes, in every race there are some dive bomb moves like i think perez put on button at monaco f1 last race...but fo rthe most part, its smooth, craft, accountable, predictable. pro drivers probably give other pro drivers more respect than gent pca guys becaues they have to live together and make a career in the same paddock all seaosn, every single week.
plus if they wreck the car, take themselves out of points, the sponsors get pissed, the car owners get pissed.

when sam schultz and i were outside pole in continental challenge at Vir two years ago, he and i used to talk all the time about the car. he as the pro was always concerned about getting it around the track in one piece, becaus eyou cant score if you dont finish. i used to have to drive home the point that i wanted him going as hard and fast as possible and if we wrecked, we had insurance. we werent in it for the series, just places, a win if possible. how many series championships are lost on a couple of points differential at season end that could have been gotten had you not received a DNF in a race or two? Sure stuff happens, but quality pro drivers are fast as lightning but they are easy on equipment and bring home the cars in one piece.

i dont think a pro would have been proud of that pass at all. there are far safer and better ways of doing it.

the other thing, without going on too much, to consider is the impact of the no-blocking rule and whether thats causing more dive bombs. if blocking were permitted, or if a "single move" were permitted, i would come to to the right coming out of the S's, and there would have been no shot of dive bombing me. he would have had to pass me on the left, or gotten in line.
i think being forced to leave the doro kind of open exposes you as the lead car to getting hammered.
same thing happened with the fabcar at lrp, happened here.

you have an inexperienced or wreckless driver who gets left open the inside line, and he thinks he can brake 100feeter later than he and his car are capable, he locks up, or he loses control but hey, whats the risk, the hole exists. the overtaken car has to come right, and bang, you get whacked.

there are various opinions on blocking. i dont like it. but i do like the idea of giving a car one move, if he wants to compromise his entry by coming right upon exit of the previous corner, then he's a sitting duck if you are truley faster, and know how to stand on the brakes to his left and full throttle 1/2 second earlier...if your car is truley faster.

i can live with the 'own the corner' concept, and of course love the "share the corner" philosophy...i just dont like the no-blocking, no-defending rule. it asks for trouble.

anyway..my 20 cents.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Steve, you get the one move, no problem in pca. You can also run the awkward line and no move. Or as you point out you can just enter the bus stop from the rightish side of the straight, really no need to be left. I found that for all practical purposes I could go through the bus stop just as quick entering from the left, middle or right side of the straight.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
The Steward said that based on the rear car's video, speaking to the other driver, and from the way it was reported, he thought that I could have given him room however his pass was ill advised. He didn't ask to see my video nor did he seem interested in seeing it. I think that he had already made up in his mind that it was a rubout and we should both be happy. I told the Steward that in IMHO the other driver tried a really risky move earlier in the race but he added that it would have no bearing on the incident itself. Since he did rule it a "rub out" pretty much on the spot I really didn't want to argue or push it. But of course after you settle down and have time to review your own video it becomes clear as to what happened. Like I said in my earlier post the other driver came over like a gentleman and apologized. Luckily the damage was actually minimal ( pop out a couple of donuts and hopefully buff out some panels and replace graphics )
Scott, first of all thanks for the video and sorry for the damage. I'm glad the driver came over and apologized but for posterity, did he offer up what in the world he was thinking at the time? I'm NOT bashing him, we all have had some red mist smack us at one time or another, but i'm really curious why, after one near wreck, someone would attempt the EXACT same maneuver on the same car a lap later? Again, not to be a ***** but he NEEDS to have a 13 tagged on him, simply because he needs to know that type of behavior is not allowed regardless of any regret he may already feel. I have only been rammed in a corner once before (I didn't turn in, just braked and he ran out of brakes), and that gentleman not only apologized but insisted on paying for some of my damage (despite my protest).. he did exactly what I would have done if I made the same mistake or my car failed me.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I think the real question is: Do you call that Kamikaze or Banzai?
STUKA!

You can only get away with that once with the same car.

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 06-17-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glen
Steve, you get the one move, no problem in pca. You can also run the awkward line and no move. Or as you point out you can just enter the bus stop from the rightish side of the straight, really no need to be left. I found that for all practical purposes I could go through the bus stop just as quick entering from the left, middle or right side of the straight.
not sure about this dude. at lime rock this year, and maybe njmp lsat year? they were black flagging dudes for not staying on the racing line, but what they called blocking. i cant speak exactly to it, but maybe Brian_H could chime in on this. i thought it was not permitted, and discussed at those drivers meetings.

one move would be great. i think it might stymie guys who are really of the same speed but think a dive bomb will get them a worthless position in exposing their car and the overtaken car to impact.

Quick Reply: Mishaps, I still don't get it.