Originally Posted by SoClose
**THIS**
Agree completely
Old 06-07-2013, 03:14 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
One could just attend the rookie orientation meeting, and look around...
How's that, Van?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
How's that, Van?
If you're on probation (the first half of the 13/13 rule), you have to attend the rookie orientation meeting.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
If you're on probation (the first half of the 13/13 rule), you have to attend the rookie orientation meeting.
But only if your last race was the one you received the 13 in. The one following the Clash they would have to rent Madison Square Garden!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
I think I flagged for 15 years with SCCA -for free .

PCA, nasa, pboc, and skippy paid a flat rate around $75/day... but often there was only 1 worker per station.

-its harder that it looks to get car numbers when the field is packed. and you normally needed 2 witnesses for things like passing under yellow.

Timing and scoring was worse... before transponders. way too much like work.

-All drivers should try it. it will give you respect for that job... harder than it looks.

The other thing is when you stand at a corner you will understand why black numbers on a Red car is bad idea.
When I first started driving on the track in 1999, I was living in Boston and in with the Northeast Region of PCA (NER). They had students assigned to work around the track, such as flag stations, at most DE and AX events. I really learned a lot - about the flags and the other perspective. I remember going up to the black flag station at NHIS on more than one occasion! Up in the tower. The good old days... I wonder if they still have students doing flags... ??
Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Funny, but that's exactly what I was talking about. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. You still have the choice to decide what type of organization you want to build/support: One where you get ahead by bearing gifts to your over-lords, or one where you get ahead by fair competition overseen by fair arbitrators hired to enforce simple/clear rules.
Dude, IMO, this is WAY out of line. Not sure if you meant it that way, but it is.

Have you ever been a race steward? I have. Believe me, it is no walk in the park nor is it any sort of power trip.

You may want to race with PCA first before you start making these sorts of insinuations about its stewarding.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
When I first started driving on the track in 1999, I was living in Boston and in with the Northeast Region of PCA (NER). They had students assigned to work around the track, such as flag stations, at most DE and AX events. I really learned a lot - about the flags and the other perspective. I remember going up to the black flag station at NHIS on more than one occasion! Up in the tower. The good old days... I wonder if they still have students doing flags... ??
I am not sure it would be a great idea to have a Green student flag while the Red run group in on track.....
Old 06-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I am not sure it would be a great idea to have a Green student flag while the Red run group in on track.....

That's the way it use to be back in the day. Everyone but instructors had a work assignment and you would try to place a more experienced green driver with a first timer. You could learn a lot at a flag station.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Funny, but that's exactly what I was talking about. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. You still have the choice to decide what type of organization you want to build/support: One where you get ahead by bearing gifts to your over-lords, or one where you get ahead by fair competition overseen by fair arbitrators hired to enforce simple/clear rules.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dude, IMO, this is WAY out of line. Not sure if you meant it that way, but it is.

Have you ever been a race steward? I have. Believe me, it is no walk in the park nor is it any sort of power trip.

You may want to race with PCA first before you start making these sorts of insinuations about its stewarding.
In general I would agree with you VR. 98% of the volunteers are terrific and they are fellow enthusiasts and they are there because they are having fun and it shows and I whole heartedly thank them for their time and effort. I mean that 100%.

However, there are a few (only a few) who fit hf1's quote to a T. I know this from direct experience and on more than one occasion and none because I did something stoopid on track. Arrogance and condescension. Some need a reminder that this is a membership driven organization and person to person interactions need to be in that vein. It's not a personal fiefdom. The utter lack of respect for the membership by the few can be astonishing at times. And not a little offensive.

Your experience may be different but I can tell you mine isn't uncommon.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Originally Posted by Streak
In general I would agree with you VR. 98% of the volunteers are terrific and they are fellow enthusiasts and they are there because they are having fun and it shows and I whole heartedly thank them for their time and effort. I mean that 100%.

However, there are a few (only a few) who fit hf1's quote to a T. I know this from direct experience and on more than one occasion and none because I did something stoopid on track. Arrogance and condescension. Some need a reminder that this is a membership driven organization and person to person interactions need to be in that vein. It's not a personal fiefdom. The utter lack of respect for the membership by the few can be astonishing at times. And not a little offensive.

Your experience may be different but I can tell you mine isn't uncommon.
Are there term limits for Stewards ? Seems to me this might be a good idea. Fresh ideas from new people can be a good thing. I've been racing for 5 years and there have basically been the same Stewards for all those years.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Oh, Imagine that....

Originally Posted by Gary R.
But only if your last race was the one you received the 13 in. The one following the Clash they would have to rent Madison Square Garden!
Except they didn't give out any 13's, did they?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:42 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
dude, i liked your driving. very nice. i think you did nothing wrong on that pass other than take a chance and come across someone without a side mirror who either didnt see you or didnt have regard for your presence, either way it was a chance you took and thats part of racing, nice job.

and not to be a safety prude, but if i could make one suggestion. dont do the whole disrobing, taking off helmet, ear pieces, balaclava, etc. while you're going down pit lane, into the cold pits and paddock where there tons of people, golf carts, safety volunteers etc. just hang tight 90seconds more till you get to your trailer/gargae, then do it. too distracting.
thanks,
as far safety - I got it
It just me being to excited
Next time I wait little longer
I want to do T-bolt in GTC3 with 996 cup
Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Does anybody know if the other racing organizations like NASA, SCCA, POC, or VRG are more transparent with respect to disciplinary actions?
I have seen incident rulings published in SCCA, but no names. That works.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Except they didn't give out any 13's, did they?
That's why.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:04 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

I already responded to this a few posts ago HERE. No such insinuation about actual PCA stewards was meant nor made. I was speaking in general terms about how vague, contradictory, and non-consistently enforced rules in any organization allocate too much (discretion) power to the arbitrators, and produce much more work for them to boot. I even used the word "arbitrators" and not "stewards" as a pointer that I am not only not talking about PCA stewards specifically but about organizations in general.

And relax, please. We're all here because we love racing and Porsches. Personally, I learn a ton from threads like these, and I hope to contribute as much as I receive.

Quick Reply: Mishaps, I still don't get it.